Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this, but seeing (and touching!) a crucifix brings me closer to God. Isn't that idolatry?
Not at all.

The crucifix reminds you of Jesus, you don't worship a piece of wood!

So many similar arguments are reformation bunk!

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this, but seeing (and touching!) a crucifix brings me closer to God. Isn't that idolatry?
brings you closer to god....? Do you mean like reminds you of him? Or puts him on your mind? Now personally I try to avoid crucifixes I mean he resurrected he's no longer bound. But to simply answer the question no that's not idolatry, you're not worshipping it it just reminds you of JESUS I believe you're saying.

• Winner
Reactions: Penny Feeley
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I tend to think of it as Christ's power flowing to me through the crucifix. I don't think of the crucifix as the source of that power, though. Different?
A crucifix is not a 'power conduit', so if you see it as that you might watch out.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nope, not unless you worship the crucifix. I don't know anyone who does, though.

A crucifix is not a 'power conduit', so if you see it as that you might watch out.
or consider cutting it out. ;)

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Idolatry is the worship of a physical object as if it were God. Unless you see a crucifix as (a) being God and (b) you worship it, then it is not idolatry in my opinion.

I think many churches have stretched the Biblical meaning of idolatry to mean anything we like too much. I do not think that is what scriptures intend.

Upvote 0

AndrewMicheals

Feb 18, 2017
USA
✟10,454.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nah. Jesus is God. We are honoring, worshipping God the Son. How can that be Idolatry?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our relationship with God is in and through the Lord Jesus only --a spiritual relationship (note John 14:6), and we surely do not need to depend on material things or even people's reasonings and ceremonies. The real and faithful relationship we have with the Lord Jesus will please the Father and bring His blessings. As one has said: "Let go and let God"!

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There was a time when my faith was very weak. I started taking a pocket cross I had received years earlier for spiritual protection. And then I lost it. I had to have actual faith in the real God to forgive and deliver me instead of depending on that pewter object to improve my chances. Eventually, that faith came. So yes, I can see how a crucifix or other holy object can become an idol. However, for those that have a strong faith in the Gospel, it will not.

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
A Crucifix was traditional in many Lutheran churches, some still use it. You can also find it in some Anglican churches, but it was much more common in Lutheran ones. It's not specifically Roman Catholic.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not everyone that claims to be Christian is that, so what people have done by religious tradition is irrelevant. Did God give us an emblem to hold, or just real and abiding faith and fellowship with His beloved Son? Faith alone is God's directive for relationship, rather than crutches; and His immutable Word is our source of truth and the mind of God. That is my view and also Scriptural.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Seeing it and being reminded of the sacrifice Jesus went through. I have no problem with that...

touching it and feeling closer to God because you are physically closer to a cross.. That sounds like the physical cross has some spiritual power or the presence of God within in it or on it.. That to me sounds like Idolatry.. Imbuing a physical object with a spirit..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a fine line. Is hanging a crucifix in your house idol worship? Not likely. On the the other hand, a friend of mine posted a photo the other day of her daughters kneeling down, lighting candles and praying in front of a big statue. That made me cringe a little.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our relationship with God is in and through the Lord Jesus only --a spiritual relationship (note John 14:6), and we surely do not need to depend on material things or even people's reasonings and ceremonies. The real and faithful relationship we have with the Lord Jesus will please the Father and bring His blessings. As one has said: "Let go and let God"!

Adding a bit to what I posted, I feel strongly that one who ignores this and goes on with religious reasoning and carnal ways may very likely face loss of rewards provided at the "Judgment Seat of Christ" in Heaven (if in fact that one is a "born again" saint, which is the only way to be in Heaven - John 3).
God has NOT given such things as statues, crosses, emblems, idols, rituals, etc. of man's inventions to bring one closer to God, and it must be by faith alone and a personal walk and relationship with the Father through His "...beloved Son", the Lord Jesus, the Christ. Well, I will just leave this for one's meditation. Look up always!

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It depicts the means of our salvation. "Idol" is a word that has a specific meaning. Idols are (1) objects created in the likeness of something else (2) which are then worshiped and (3) is understood to be the literal thing they depict.

On those terms, a crucifix cannot be defined as an idol. We Catholics like a crucifix but we don't worship them and we do not believe they're literally Our Lord.

Upvote 0

Penny Feeley

Devout Christian
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2017
Victorville
✟48,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
brings you closer to god....? Do you mean like reminds you of him? Or puts him on your mind? Now personally I try to avoid crucifixes I mean he resurrected he's no longer bound. But to simply answer the question no that's not idolatry, you're not worshipping it it just reminds you of JESUS I believe you're saying.

Upvote 0