Is the CHURCH Still living by this CREED?

SonWorshipper

Old Timer
Jan 15, 2002
✟10,769.00
Faith
Messianic
Throughout his reign, Constantine treated the bishops as political aides. He agreed to enforce whatever opinion the majority of the bishops formulated.

By the time that Constantine called the first general church council at Nicea in 325, anti-Semitism was endemic in the "Church." The Council of Nicea was attended by 318 bishops, none of whom were of Jewish ancestry.They were not even invited! :(

Passover was still celebrated by the Gentile Christian church, but the Gentiles began to see a need to differentiate "their" Passover from the Jewish Passover. The bishops decided to move the Christian celebration of Passover to the first Sunday after the Jewish Passover (in most years). The Jewish Passover always falls on the 14th day of Aviv (Nisan), which can fall on any day of the week. Centuries later, the very name of Passover (or Pesach) also became distasteful to the Gentile church, and terms such as Easter (the name of a pagan fertility goddess) were adopted by the increasingly paganized church.

Occasionally, as in 1989, the Christian observance of Easter is almost a month before Passover.The first edict in favor of the 'Venerable Day of the Sun" (Sun-day) was made at the Council of Nicea. Until this time, both Christian and Jew generally observed the seventh day Sabbath, according to the Biblical commandment.Civil legislation enforced the decrees of the Council of Nicea. This was a victory over the truth by civil legislation. Constantine, as emperor, presided over the entire council. The decisions of the 318 church bishops were endorsed by civil law and backed by military power.

The churches which flourished in worldly wealth were the primary churches represented by this Council. The poor and humble churches could not afford to send representatives over a thousand miles away. The Catholic Encyclopedia says, "Some bishops, blinded by the splendor of the court, even went so far as to laud the emperor as an angel of God, as a sacred being, and to prophesy that he would, like the Son of God, reign in heavens.

The early Gentile Christians compromised some of the most basic tenets of their faith, many of which served to alienate Christianity from its Jewish origins. In other words it was the foundation for the creation of a “New Religion”; one never intended by G-d not taught by Yeshua.

Constantine's motives are beyond reconstruction but it is clear he still needed to bind the Empire - East and West - together and exercise influence over the whole of the Mediterranean. What Christians fail to realize is that his conversion had not divorced him from his pagan past. The Emperor was happy with the collection of heavenly patrons. He believed reverence for deity to be indispensable for the tranquility of the commonwealth and regarded the Christian God as just another heavenly patron, not incompatible with others although perhaps more powerful. He maintained ties with the Sol Invictus cult (Sun Worship) even after his conversion. It was not until he was on his deathbed that he was finally baptized, just in case. The Sol Invictus cult worshipped the sun god, but was also acceptable to the followers of Orpheus, the priest of the Sun, Mithras, or the Sun god Apollo.

The response was for Imperial Christianity through Constantine to begin representing Jesus/Yeshua in the guise of Apollo to maintain favor the Gentile who already had such pagan beliefs. The response from the Jews was total rejection of such concepts, which intended to fashion the divine through cultist images, thereby sowing the seeds of division between Christians and Jews.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course not, they converted JEWS BY FORCE and anyone else that didn't want to believe as their Doctrines said.

You have a cite for Orthodox Christians converting Jews (or anyone else) by force ?

We are called to Evangelise all nations, Baptising in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, not by force, but by the testimony of the Gospel, handed to us by the Saints.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Constantine's motives are beyond reconstruction but it is clear he still needed to bind the Empire - East and West - together and exercise influence over the whole of the Mediterranean. What Christians fail to realize is that his conversion had not divorced him from his pagan past. The Emperor was happy with the collection of heavenly patrons. He believed reverence for deity to be indispensable for the tranquility of the commonwealth and regarded the Christian God as just another heavenly patron, not incompatible with others although perhaps more powerful. He maintained ties with the Sol Invictus cult (Sun Worship) even after his conversion. It was not until he was on his deathbed that he was finally baptized, just in case. The Sol Invictus cult worshipped the sun god, but was also acceptable to the followers of Orpheus, the priest of the Sun, Mithras, or the Sun god Apollo.

In case anyone is looking for the
source document ...

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are You denying that Jews were ever forced to convert to Chrisitanity by the Church?

I am asking for historical proof that the Orthodox Church has practiced forced conversions. Millions of Orthodox Christian have given their lives rather than renounce Christ, perhaps this is what you are thinking of. To force a conversion to Christianity is by definition un-Orthodox.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2003
The Dalles, OR
✟5,260.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
SonWorshipper said:
Throughout his reign, Constantine treated the bishops as political aides. He agreed to enforce whatever opinion the majority of the bishops formulated.[/font]
The interesting thing about Constantine was that he supported Arianism and the fact that the Church did not, means that Constantine did not call the shots in the Orthodox Church.
People converted massly converted because of motives other than religious when it became the state religion, but no one was forced. People converted for careerism and so forth, and in response the Monastic movement began, rejecting the broad way, for that narrow path that leads to salvation.
Jeff the Finn

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2003
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
✟9,288.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Forgive me for your mis-understanding. Since the Roman Catholic Church is the Mother of all the Christian churches, when the others were formed when they broke off of Her they kept many of the Same or Similar Doctrines that were originated in Her. Now since the Roman Catholic Church has made it LAW that Shabbat and Circumcision were OUTLAWED, all the others to follow kept those as well as other doctrines.

So Oblio forgive my way of writing that made you think I was talking about the Orthodox in forcing conversions.

Tag

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since the Roman Catholic Church is the Mother of all the Christian churches, when the others were formed when they broke off of Her they kept many of the Same or Similar Doctrines that were originated in Her.

The Orthodox Church would say that the RCC broke off from her and is the Church founded by Christ and His Apostles, but that is another discussion ;)

So Oblio forgive my way of writing that made you think I was talking about the Orthodox in forcing conversions.

None offense taken. Forgive me if I have seemed argumentative, I merely wish to defend any misconceptions of the Orthodox Church and faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 25, 2003
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
✟9,288.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Oblio said:
The Orthodox Church would say that the RCC broke off from her and is the Church founded by Christ and His Apostles, but that is another discussion ;)

None offense taken. Forgive me if I have seemed argumentative, I merely wish to defend any misconceptions of the Orthodox Church and faith.

ROFLMBO. That is most likely truth Oblio.

You are stating what you believe and were correcting what you thought I was stating I believed ;) So to me a peaceful argument is always welcomed.

May the peace that transcends all understanding be with you,

Tag

Upvote 0