USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Finally! No, we are NOT and will never be part of His church from the Catholic perspective despite the nice 'separated brethren' talk. That's just something they say to pacify the libs. Are the Orthodox part of His church from the Catholic perspective?

Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It clearly states that, through valid Baptism, people who are Protestant or Orthodox are "connected to the Church through an imperfect union".

Makes it pretty clear to me.

Also, why would you want to go to "orthodox hell" when you will never enjoy Heaven, rather than "catholic purgatory" when you eventually will enjoy Heaven? -_-

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Also, why would you want to go to "orthodox hell" when you will never enjoy Heaven, rather than "catholic purgatory" when you eventually will enjoy Heaven? -_-

What does what people would find preferable have to do with anything?

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, why would you want to go to "orthodox hell" when you will never enjoy Heaven, rather than "catholic purgatory" when you eventually will enjoy Heaven?
Orthodox believe there is still hope for the unsaved up until the final judgement. So you can die an unrepentant sinner and still be saved in the afterlife.
I was being a little facetious anyway. I' m not condemned anyway because I'm not in communion with Rome or with the OC.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Orthodox believe there is still hope for the unsaved up until the final judgement.
I was being a little facetious anyway. I' m not condemned because I'm not in communion with Rome or with the OC.

Read what I wrote. I never said anything about you being condemned.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Read what I wrote. I never said anything about you being condemned.
I know, I don't believe you to think I'm condemned. I just know old school RCC teachings about mortal sin and what 's required for absolution which means condemnation for the non compliant.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It clearly states that, through valid Baptism, people who are Protestant or Orthodox are "connected to the Church through an imperfect union".
Makes it pretty clear to me.

They just cannot post on the OBOB forum here.

Heaven, hell, purgatory aside, there has to be a line drawn somewhere. ;) :scratch:

Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Thank you, I mostly come here to read but am not afraid to place the perspective I have learned and believe. I have read all of the above, which has been entertaining, but find no reason to change that perspective.

Once again I would like to draw your attention to the 7 churches in the Book of Revelation as I think they can give us a good picture of denominations and why they exist.

Within the churches we see differing doctrinal stances, most of which Christ rejects, yet he still refers to each one as his church. This is the view I have accepted since childhood [which seems so long ago and yet I still may have a long life ahead (mid-life crisis? Still don't know what that is supposed to be)]. Not all those within the church are acceptable to Christ [a point he makes very clear] but he is encouraging to those who are acceptable [this is where the idea of the invisible church comes from: those whom Christ finds acceptable in each of the 7 churches]. If you read these churches were not only divided by geography, but by ideology as well. This is not dissimilar to today's world.

Unless you hold the view that your particular denomination is the only true church then, from man's viewpoint, the church is divided.

So my answer to the question, "Is the church divided?"

It certainly looks that way, but don't worry, Jesus will sort it out.

If you hold the historical interpretation of the 7 churches [being 7 periods in church history] you may have difficulty understanding what I am trying to say. I'm sorry, just try to think outside the box a little and it will help you. But that discussion is for a different forum so let's not get side-tracked here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums