United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

8-19-13

I have formed adults in the Catholic faith for almost twenty years. During this time, I have heard so many reasons why lukewarm Catholics, fallen away Catholics, and Ex-Catholics are they way that they are. These folks are utterly convinced that the Catholic faith is too demanding and too arbitrary.
Is the Catholic faith too hard to live?

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One would hope that God's desires for humanity set a high standard but not an arbitrary one.
I'd like to discuss this further ebia. This has crossed my mind a lot lately. I have to run to the store but I'll check back in when I get back. Sometime I feel that parts of Catholicism is arbitrary to the point one must do something instead of wanting to do something. I feel like some things put a damper on actual growth because of the obligation. Anyway, I'll check in later. :wave:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
:D

O Michie - we have to be honest with ourselves. We dont want to do any of it. Lets admit it. :D I did. :p

The thing is - as long as we are fallen - which is our whole life - doing the perfect thing [following God's perfect laws] seem difficult.
Now in a perfect world [we no longer have] it would just be natural. But now its a struggle because concupiscence makes life really hard.

Then we have the 'demons' trying every possible way to pull us from His Church.

Yet if we see it for what it is - it helps us conquer the obstacles we ought to know - will come.

This is one subject that a book could be written on. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:D

O Michie - we have to be honest with ourselves. We dont want to do any of it. Lets admit it. :D I did. :p
Oh I admitted it.

The thing is - as long as we are fallen - which is our whole life - doing the perfect thing [following God's perfect laws] seem difficult.
Now in a perfect world [we no longer have] it would just be natural. But now its a struggle because concupiscence makes life really hard.

Then we have the 'demons' trying every possible way to pull us from His Church.

Yet if we see it for what it is - it helps us conquer the obstacles we ought to know - will come.

This is one subject that a book could be written on. :)
I'm used to being more organic in my spirituality & devotions. I'm having serious adjustment issues. :p By now, I should be adjusted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Heads up - it depends on what ails ya.
There are Saints that had doubts and struggles all the way thru.
So - for some - this must be [getting thru it] their merit in perseverance.

But - let's talk. :)

BBL - going to bed before i fall off my chair.

Upvote 0