Is the Catholic Church infallible?

donttazemebro

Jun 19, 2013
✟15,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First of all i know Catholics point out some bible "verses" for infallibility like that binding or loosing,... But i have some questions (because i want to know the truth). First did He gave that right (to bind and loose, to forgive sins or retain them,...) to only the Apostoles or to theirs successors too? If yes successors too, then where are any successors of the Apostoles mentioned in the Bible and where in the Bible does He gives them that authority?

Second in 1 Peter 2:5–9 it says that we (believers) are all holy priesthood (correct me if im wrong) so if we are all holy priesthood and the Church i think consists of priests,

does that mean that we are all, not only the present priest that became priests

but all believers cannot make a mistake about faith because He is with us. So did he actually gave that infallibility to us, the holy priesthood (believers) who are the Church and not only to the ones who are the leaders of the Church(pope) or the ones we usually call priests?

Am i assuming correct here?

Also if the Church would be infallible and they did a right thing in the times of crusades, Spanish conquest of Mesoamerica,injustices to women,,...why did then pope John Paul II apologize for these things? Did he admitted that the Church did a wrong decision which would of been impossible if the Church is infallible?

SMA12

Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom
May 24, 2012
✟15,509.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
First of all i know Catholics point out some bible "verses" for infallibility like that binding or loosing,... But i have some questions (because i want to know the truth). First did He gave that right (to bind and loose, to forgive sins or retain them,...) to only the Apostoles or to theirs successors too? If yes successors too, then where are any successors of the Apostoles mentioned in the Bible and where in the Bible does He gives them that authority?

Second in 1 Peter 2:5–9 it says that we (believers) are all holy priesthood (correct me if im wrong) so if we are all holy priesthood and the Church i think consists of priests,

but all believers cannot make a mistake about faith because He is with us. So did he actually gave that infallibility to us, the holy priesthood (believers) who are the Church and not only to the ones who are the leaders of the Church(pope) or the ones we usually call priests?

Also if the Church would be infallible and they did a right thing in the times of crusades, Spanish conquest of Mesoamerica,injustices to women,,...why did then pope John Paul II apologize for these things? Did he admitted that the Church did a wrong decision which would of been impossible if the Church is infallible?

Priests, bishops, laity, etc are not infallible according to Catholic teaching. We actually are incredibly fallable. Even the Pope! The Pope goes to confession more often than most Catholics.

Infallibility, only applies to the Pope when he is speaking ex cathedra, which means he is making a declaration of truth about faith and morals. This has happened only a few times in the last century or so. Infallibility does not mean priests and bishops and popes are perfect people. They, along with the rest of us are quite broken people. This is why there have been injustices in church history. We are sinners in need of Jesus Christ, just like anyone else.

The binding and loosing the verse was spoken directly to Peter (Pope), but obviously Peter was still a sinner, denying Christ 3 times, so infallibility doesn't mean the Pope never sins, it means when speaking ex cathedra, the Holy Spirit will not let him err, and lead the flock astray.

The verse about "whose sins you forgive are forgiven and whose sins you retain are retained" was spoken by Jesus to all of the Apostles, and this is where we get confession to a priest.

You asked about Apostolic succession in the Bible. You can read about in Acts, the Apostles lead by Peter, determining who is to replace Judas. They choose Matthias to take his position. So obviously there was a difference between being an Apostle (priest) and a disciple (regular old Christian, what we call laity), even though we are called to share in the mission of priest (offering our lives as living sacrifices to God), prophet(teaching and spreading the gospel),and king(Christ-like kingship, which of course means serving/being a servant.) Sharing in the mission of the priesthood is different than actually being a Priest in Catholicism.

Hope this helped!

God bless!

Upvote 0

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Priests, bishops, laity, etc are not infallible according to Catholic teaching. We actually are incredibly fallable. Even the Pope! The Pope goes to confession more often than most Catholics.

Infallibility, only applies to the Pope when he is speaking ex cathedra, which means he is making a declaration of truth about faith and morals. This has happened only a few times in the last century or so. Infallibility does not mean priests and bishops and popes are perfect people. They, along with the rest of us are quite broken people. This is why there have been injustices in church history. We are sinners in need of Jesus Christ, just like anyone else.

The binding and loosing the verse was spoken directly to Peter (Pope), but obviously Peter was still a sinner, denying Christ 3 times, so infallibility doesn't mean the Pope never sins, it means when speaking ex cathedra, the Holy Spirit will not let him err, and lead the flock astray.

The verse about "whose sins you forgive are forgiven and whose sins you retain are retained" was spoken by Jesus to all of the Apostles, and this is where we get confession to a priest.

You asked about Apostolic succession in the Bible. You can read about in Acts, the Apostles lead by Peter, determining who is to replace Judas. They choose Matthias to take his position. So obviously there was a difference between being an Apostle (priest) and a disciple (regular old Christian, what we call laity), even though we are called to share in the mission of priest (offering our lives as living sacrifices to God), prophet(teaching and spreading the gospel),and king(Christ-like kingship, which of course means serving/being a servant.) Sharing in the mission of the priesthood is different than actually being a Priest in Catholicism.

Hope this helped!

God bless!

Thank you, brother in Christ, for your great answer! It has surely helped me understand the Church more!

Upvote 0

Travers54

Nov 7, 2006
✟7,613.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
What about The Church of The Latter Day Saints (Mormon Church), they too claim to have the keys of Saint Peter and have the ability to bind or loosen? The prophet Joseph Smith was given the keys and understanding of a new dispensation and to restore to the earth the fullness of the gospel, which was lost through the apostasy.

Upvote 0

blujon

Dec 30, 2008
✟7,669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status

2 things, 1. look at the Greek, "what is loosed in earth is already loosed in heaven. and what is having been bound in earth is already having been bound in heaven.
2. The only true church is spiritual Jerusalem: Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.
Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
:clap:

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear DTMB,

A Holy Message has been given in answer to your question from our Heavenly Mother Mary:

"Jesus died on His Cross, My Children, for God His Heavenly Father and all sinners/mankind.

Jesus dying on His Cross for mankind, and to cleanse sins, was to assist Mankind in having their sins cleansed through Jesus' Holy Appointed such as Priests.

The Old Testament and New Testament (the Bible) which contain The Ten Commandments are a Guide My Children".

That is all".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Scripture shows us in Acts, and Timothy and other places in St. Paul's writings that some are 'set apart' as bishops, priests and deacons. Others might use the words 'elders, presbyters and ministers', but that boils down to language semantics...but the 'system' as it were, remains. There are some who are called to lead, and (most) others are called to follow those leaders. The office of the apostles was and is most certainly established. Anyone claiming otherwise would be ignoring the texts that support this. Mathias and Barnabas are held up as clear examples. St. Paul himself is another. They had been given the gift to have the power to lay on hands, and therefore commission others to continue the work of correctly teaching the Gospel. St. Paul was presumably given his authority directly by Jesus, just like the 12. We see that the office of Judas Iscariot was filled by Mathias. There must be a distinction made here by the Apostles that the office held the power or there would not have been a need to replace Judas.

As others have pointed out, just being set apart is not some guarantee of impeccability, for even the Pope commits sins...so use care to not confuse impeccability with infallibility. We are all called to be priests in some sense, but clearly not all are called to lead others. This is easily demonstrated even outside of the Catholic Church, as there are ministers, pastors, elders and deacons in nearly every denomination across the globe.

Not to be harsh, but NO, you are not understanding infallibility correctly. The Church, through the Pope, can only speak infallibly on matter of faith and morals...to provide you with two examples in an effort to ease your understanding, let's look at contraception/abortion and Transubstantiation (briefly). The teaching against contraception would be considered infallible as a matter of morals: to willfully fight against The Lord, the Creator of all life, is to stand against Him. This places OUR will in opposition to HIS. The Church believes in the sanctity of all human life is precious to God, and if, as a Church, we are to claim to follow Him, we must therefore be willing to accept life as precious to us. To not do so would be in opposition to the Gospel. Does this help?
As a matter of faith, the Church's teaching on Transubstantiation (that Christ is truly present in the Sacrament of the Eucharist, body, blood, soul and divinity) could also be considered infallible. The Church's teaching on this grew more concrete over the centuries and was a response to opposition saying that this is impossible. The Church uses both Scripture (John 6 and 1 Cor.) as well as Tradition (St. Justin and St. Iraneus to name 2) in its statements about Transubstantiation. This is a matter of faith because it can't be 'proven' by science, but to deny that Transubstantiation occurs is to deny the words of Jesus in John, Matthew and Luke, as well as the words of St. Paul in 1 Cor.; again, since the Church makes the claim of being founded by Christ and led by the Holy Spirit, it could not and has not gone against God. This is but a snapshot. Does this help?

Again, the individual leaders of the Church are not impeccable... They sin just like you and I. They make mistakes, such as in the Crusades, or during the times of the Reformation. Many popes have rightly apologized for past mistakes that the Church has made. Not everything that a pope does or says is infallible, and so long as Jesus has not returned, the leadership of the Church will likely continue to make mistakes.

If I have not answered your questions, please feel free to ask me again...

Peace in Christ

Upvote 0

Hawkiz

Dec 3, 2013
✟16,536.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Who does he confess to? Jesus?

That's Who I confess to when I miss the mark in accordance to scripture. :thumbsup:

The pope is the bishop of Rome. On a technical level, he is simply a priest who has been given specific administrative duties...to lead the global Catholic Church. Bishops are still 'just priests' who have been set apart to lead larger groups of the flock...so the pope could and would confess his sins to any other priest. And all Catholics profess their sins directly to Jesus...every week at Mass. To understand the Sacrament of Confession, you might imagine yourself having to verbally admit your sins to your spouse or best friend...there is real JOY in actually hearing the words 'You are forgiven' from another person. There is even greater joy in hearing those words spoken to you by a person in authority for God...such as a priest. Please refrain from mocking the incredible joy and peace that Christ has given to us.

Peace in Christ

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus appeared to Saint Sister Faustina during the 1930's in Poland in Her Convent Ted for many years including The Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God and gave Saint Faustina approximately 600 pages of His Holy messages which included Jesus' Divine Mercy Chaplet for all people around the world to pray or recite just once during their lives in order to be taken into His Divine Mercy during the hour of death.

Divine Mercy Chaplet at 3pm:

The Sign of The Cross, The Our Father, The Hail Mary, The Creed - while focussing on Jesus' Stations of His Cross if at all possible and with the Holy Rosary Beads however in front of Jesus' Cross or Crucifix at home without these is fine.

5 x Times:
"Eternal Father, I offer You The Body and Blood Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world".

10 x Times:
"For the sake of His Sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world".

3 x Times:
"Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world".

Jesus said to the world thru Saint Faustina:

"Say unceasingly this Chaplet. Anyone who says it will receive great mercy at the hour of death. If the most hardened sinner recites this Chaplet even once, they will receive grace from My infinite Mercy. I want the whole world to know My infinite Mercy. I want to give unimaginable graces to those who Trust in My Mercy".

At any time Jesus asks us to say:

"Jesus, I Trust in You" throughout the day or night including:

"O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the heart of Jesus, as a fount of Mercy for us, I Trust in You". This was when Jesus' Sacred Heart was being opened by a Lance on His Cross and:

"Write that when they say this Chaplet in the presence of the dying, I will stand between My Father and they Dying person, not as the just Judge, but as the Merciful Saviour".

These are just a few of Jesus' Holy messages to the world thru Saint Faustina:
Jesus to Saint Faustina:
"When you go to Confession, know this, that I am waiting for you in the confessional. I am only hidden by the priest, but I Myself act on the soul. Here the misery of the soul meets the God of Mercy. From this fount of Mercy souls draw graces solely with the vessel of trust. If their trust is great there is no limit to My generosity".

and;

"My great delight is to unite Myself with souls...When I come to a human heart in Holy Communion, My hands are full of all kinds of Graces which I want to give that soul. How painful it is to Me that souls so seldom unite themselves in Me in Holy Communion".

"It pains Me very much when religious souls receive the Sacrament of Love merely out of habit, as if they do not understand what this Food is. I find neither faith nor love in their hearts. I go to such souls with great reluctance. It would be better if they did not receive...".

Jesus wants us all to confess sins from our hearts and to receive His Blessed Sacraments of His Flesh and Blood - His Host at Church, from our "hearts".

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

That's Who I confess to when I miss the mark in accordance to scripture. :thumbsup:

Another priest. Is that who you confess to? Actually, when you go to confession, the person on the other side of the screen is Christ Himself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StRestlessHeart333

Chaldean Catholic
Jul 23, 2014
✟15,513.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Jesus uses us to do his work. He uses Priests especially to do things like forgiving others. He gave the authority to the apostles and you already said that in your OP. However they did not read minds like Jesus who is God, who knows whats inside each one of us, and forgives us our sins right away. So the people had to confess their sins to the apostles so in return the apostles would be able to forgive them. And of course this went on to their successors till this very day, and will continue until Jesus comes back himself again, but this time as a judge.

So when we confess our sins to a priest, we are really confessing them to Jesus. He is not physically here to forgive you so he sends his anointed ones to do his work.

Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

No, Emotions are not a good reason!
Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What about The Church of The Latter Day Saints (Mormon Church), they too claim to have the keys of Saint Peter and have the ability to bind or loosen? The prophet Joseph Smith was given the keys and understanding of a new dispensation and to restore to the earth the fullness of the gospel, which was lost through the apostasy.

Mormons actually claim that the Church was corrupted. (Don't ask them to say when, or to furnish any proof!) Therefore apostolic succession was never passed down, and Joseph Smith "restored" it, according to Mormon theology.

Catholics believe apostolic succession has never been completely destroyed, and Christ's Church has never been completely lost on this Earth ever since He founded it.

It's a MAJOR difference!

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And, of course, the Roman Catholic ORGANIZATION, despite it's "Claim" to the contrary (Along with every OTHER Religious Organization on earth) IS NOT, NEVER HAS BEEN, and NEVER WILL BE: "INFALLIBLE".

A Quick look at "Church History" through the ages demonstrates THAT simple fact with total clarity.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi DTMBE,

We retain our sins if these remain unrepented to Jesus Christ our Saviour with a genuine remorseful heart ie contrite heart,

Jesus/God/The Holy Spirit judge on sins mortal and venial non-repented (unrepented) from a genuine remorseful heart when passing over.

Love and kindest wishes your sister in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0