Is the Catholic Church considered a Denomination?

Do you consider the RCC to be a Denomination?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I won't, as you are wrong!

Although I hate to ask, who is your Bishop, what is the name of your parish, and what affiliation to a Patriarch does your Bishop have? I will not answer any questions from you until you answer me!

You will get that answer from me my friend, because I will not pander to the idea that my faith is referenced to flesh, that is of the world. I declare my faith in Christ is from Christ Jesus and it is about him that I boast, thankyou very much!

I will kindly remind you, that a Christian dares not touch the glory of God or even tries to reference their faith to the self identity of what is in the world. Do you understand what I just said?

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I am!

I find it hard to believe my friend, because a Monk like yourself would understand that a born again believer does not divulge their justification of faith by the things that are in th world, this would be like touching the glory of God and this is strictly forbidden. You are asking me to do what is strictly forbidden, now why would you want me to do that?

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Any proof that any of this was dictated, as opposed to a traditional way of honoring the office of Pope?

Would the kings, queens and presidents of the world honour the leader of the RCC any less, by wearing nice clean clothing, but why consistently black?

The symbolic meaning is that white dictates to black, that is all!
This is history and history repeats itself, does it not?

The leader of the RCC said at the UN....

I come in my OWN name and that of the Catholic Community and I request just legislation. This request is POLITICAL, is it not?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Would the kings, queens and presidents of the world honour the leader of the RCC any less, by wearing nice clean clothing, but why consistently black?

The symbolic meaning is that white dictates to black, that is all!
This is history and history repeats itself, does it not?

The leader of the RCC said at the UN....

I come in my OWN name and that of the Catholic Community and I request just legislation. This request is POLITICAL, is it not?
It means nothing of the kind. It is traditional. Madam Queen Elizabeth didn't follow suit. It's long sleeves, formal wear and a veil for ladies in a papal audience.
No I don't believe history repeats itself. History mimics itself though.
Regarding the pope and politics, he is not authoritative in politics, except in the Vatican. He came requesting, not demanding. The pope's authority is spiritual.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The above quotes are from another thread which led me to start this thread.

Simple question: Is the RCC considered a Denomination?
Is so, why. If not, why not.
Thank you
I have a lot of respect for the Catholic Church and would consider them a denomination.

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No doubt. The question is when?

Revelation of Jesus Christ given to John, to write letters to the seven Churches in Asia Minor, is widely agreed by theologians to be around 95 AD, after the destruction of Jerusalem, where John is imprisoned on the Island of Patmos.

You're right, Jesus did tell John to address those 7 churches under his bishopric.

Yes, Jesus did address his Church, that is, the Church, but not Rome.

I never said one of those letters was to Rome, but why did it need to be?

Why does the letter containing the Revelation of Jesus Christ, not required to be addressed to the alleged RCC Vicar and his seven Notaries at the time? Do you sincerely believe that Jesus failed to address his entire Church? A Yes or a No.

I don't believe that you will answer with a Yes.

So, the question is why did Jesus leave out Rome, if Rome, as it claims had a Vicar of Christ, who was supposed to be honoured by Jesus as the Pope to deliver the message on his behalf. Not forgetting that there is claimed by the RCC, that seven Notaries existed in Rome at the time, alongside the alleged Vicar of Christ.

So do you sincerely think that Jesus forgot to mention and to honour the RCC claim of it being THE Church? Or is it a question of why he deliberately did not mention it at the time?

Remembering that Rome claimed that it had succession well before the Revelation of Jesus Christ was written, so the claim existed according to RCC well before the Revelation of Jesus was given to John.

Again, why did Jesus deliberately leave out Rome and snub His alleged Vicar?

It really depends on when Revelation was written, and to whom it was to be addressed.

This is a circular argument and you know it. Why do you do it? God sees the heart and you ought to be inclined to embrace the truth in this matter. Having said that, regardless of when John was given the Revelation of Jesus Christ, it was after the RCC claim of succession and their claim of it being THE Church.

Most importantly Jesus delivered his Revelation to his entire Church and the seven Churches symbolised the Minorah of God and there is no justification on your part to imply that Rome was left out, for the implied reason that it was not meant to be addressed by Jesus, had Jesus at the time considered it as THE Church. There are no churches running in parallel here my friend. I urge you to come to the light of the truth in the matter and understand that the entire Church of Christ Jesus was being personally addressed by him, without exception.

Where does it say ANYWHERE that the only Churches in existance were those in Asia Minor? Fact is, it doesn't. At the time of Revelation's writing, there were Patriarchates in Antioch, Rome, and Alexandria already, and Peter had already left for Rome. John was, in our Tradition, the bishop of Ephesus, and included the other 6 in his diocese.

I did not say that other churches did not exist in Europe, so don't spin that please. I simply said that the seven Notaries/Bishops, who represented Christ's entire Church in Asia Minor were addressed and were the recepients of the letter. The fact is, there was no Bishop in this respect that was left out from being directly the recipient of Christ's evaluation and chastisement, this means that those churches in Europe reported to several of the Bishops in Asia Minor.

Where is the RCC's honoured Vicar of Christ in this situation and respect? This is the important question and why hasn't he been addressed by Jesus?

Don't assume that Jesus didn't speak to all the leaders of his entire Church, because the onus is on you to try and discredit Jesus and to make a claim that the Revelation of Jesus was written before RCC claims of it being the Church and/or that they were not the recepients to the letter, which implies Jesus did not address his Church?

The claim that Jesus did not address His Church, which is THE Church is therefore discrediting Jesus.

Do you see your delima my friend.

The Catholic Church isn't a denomination, Rome is a diocese of the Catholic Church (As is Ephesus and Antioch). Every diocese is its own entity, though an Archdiocese would have some say over dioceses in its domain.

You are welcome to claim anything you want, it does not mean that the titles of these compartmentalised dioceses the RCC gives are those that Jesus gives to his Church.

But to the "Roman" Catholic Church, it is really the Latin Rite Catholic Church as opposed to the Eastern Rite (though both are in communion with the Pope).

You see, there it is, the term Communion.

There is ONE Communion Biblically speaking, the Communion is with the Spirit of Christ Jesus. So in this RESPECT AND regard I would have to declare onto you, that my Communion is with my Pope Jesus Christ.

Obviously, one of us must be wrong, right?

Which one?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It means nothing of the kind. It is traditional. Madam Queen Elizabeth didn't follow suit. It's long sleeves, formal wear and a veil for ladies in a papal audience.
No I don't believe history repeats itself. History mimics itself though.
Regarding the pope and politics, he is not authoritative in politics, except in the Vatican. He came requesting, not demanding. The pope's authority is spiritual.

You say that he came requesting and not demanding "just legislation", right?

Well to request and to demand the changing and/or establishing of law, within the political arena of the UN and by asserting that he came in his own name and that of the Catholic Community, clearly is the same thing.

Francis went into a political arena, requested/demanded law to be changed and/or introduced, is an authority that exceeds far and beyond a spiritual context, and is blatantly political.

Why do you call the actions of Francis spiritual and not political in this respect?

You know very well deep down in your heart that it is political.

All I ask these days from myself first and others, is to be genuine for Jesus Christ, that is all!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Well to request and to demand the changing and/or establishing of law, within the political arena of the UN and by asserting that he came in his own name and that of the Catholic Community, clearly is the same thing.

Francis went into a political arena, requested/demanded law to be changed and/or introduced, is an authority that exceeds far and beyond a spiritual context, and is blatantly political............

All I ask these days from myself first and others, is to be genuine for Jesus Christ, that is all!
Good post.
That one statement of yours brings to mind Daniel 7 for some reason.
Not that I think it has anything to do with the Pope or his denomination.......
.........Well to request and to demand the changing and/or establishing of law,......
Daniel 7:25
He shall speak words against the Most High, and shall oppress the holy ones of the Most High;
and he shall think to change the times and the law;
and they shall be given over to him until a time and times and half a time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Good post.
That one statement of yours brings to mind Daniel 7 for some reason. not that I think it has anything to do with the Pope or his denomination.......

Daniel 7:25
He shall speak words against the Most High, and shall oppress the holy ones of the Most High;
and he shall think to change the times and the law;
and they shall be given over to him until a time and times and half a time.

Just legislation for whom and against whom?

Changing the times and laws of God, is to create laws that embrace the Man/Anthropos/People of Sin, that is the Sodomites rising.

The secret power of lawlessness was already at work behind closed doors and in closets, during Paul's time, but the Theonomous law society held it back at bay, because of those times and laws that governed societies.

Now we see the emergence of an anonymous law society which pretends to serve the creature, within the deceptive LOVE theme of the MK-ULTRA mind control instituted by the Elites, during the Hippy era.

FREE LOVE for that is what the people demanded of the Angels held up in Lot's house. They demanded participation.

The laws to be introduced and inacted are tolerance laws, that openly promote the LGBT lifestyle and agenda, leading to the destruction of family and gender and the dehumanization of the human race.

Jesus said you will know them by their works.

Notice the Theonomous law society is being deconstructed/destroyed quite rapidly by paid revolutionaries from within nations, for the future construction of a centralised Man of Sin society.

Who is it against?

The Christians who hold true to Christ's teachings and instructions.

I REQUEST JUST LEGISLATION
Says Francis at the UN

REALLY! Laying the groundworks are we!

Get ready for persecution friends like never before. This is a war waged directly against Christ Jesus and God's Created Rights Image that He Created Humanity in.

Officially, the born again believers are at spiritual war with the enemy of their King and saviour Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You will get that answer from me my friend, because I will not pander to the idea that my faith is referenced to flesh, that is of the world. I declare my faith in Christ is from Christ Jesus and it is about him that I boast, thankyou very much!

In other words, you are not an Orthodox Christian, and from now on, you are on ignore!

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Huh? Popes do not dictat what heads of state may wear. In a recent visit, Mrs. Trump did wear black, but that was her own choosing.

Actually, it is long standing diplomatic tradition that females that visit the pope should wear black, unless they are virgins. One exception, a queen who is Catholic may wear white.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Logically, there are only four possible views:

1) There are no denominations. The Roman Catholic Church is the only true Church. The others (Protestant, Orthodox, etc.) are not true Churches at all.

2) The Roman Catholic Church is not a true Church at all. There are no denominations: some other group is the only true Church.

3) The Roman Catholic Church is not a true Church at all. The Universal Church of Christ is split into two or more denominations, but the Roman Catholic Church is not one of them.

4) The Universal Church of Christ is split into two or more denominations, of which the Roman Catholic Church is one.

My understanding of the CF rules is that views 1, 2, and 3 may not be stated here. I have met adherents of all 4 views, however.

I'm hoping most people in this thread point to 4. But, I do worry about the other 3 points. It's 2017, it's time to stop treating other churches within the Universal Church of Christ as if they are platforms for evil.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In other words, you are not an Orthodox Christian, and from now on, you are on ignore!
What a pity you cut off a brother simply because he is not an "Orthodox Christian".

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I will kindly remind you, that a Christian dares not touch the glory of God or even tries to reference their faith to the self identity of what is in the world. Do you understand what I just said?
Monk Brendan said:
What a pity you cut off a brother simply because he is not an "Orthodox Christian".
All we can do is pray for him.
Now, onward to the topic of the OP

Is the Catholic Church considered a Denomination?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Revelation of Jesus Christ given to John, to write letters to the seven Churches in Asia Minor, is widely agreed by theologians to be around 95 AD, after the destruction of Jerusalem, where John is imprisoned on the Island of Patmos.
Widely agreed on doesn't mean it's right. It is very reasonable to believe John was talking about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem.
Yes, Jesus did address his Church, that is, the Church, but not Rome.
Right, the branch of his Church in Asia Minor. Which is part of the Catholic Church.
Why does the letter containing the Revelation of Jesus Christ, not required to be addressed to the alleged RCC Vicar and his seven Notaries at the time? Do you sincerely believe that Jesus failed to address his entire Church? A Yes or a No.

I don't believe that you will answer with a Yes.
I believe he was addressing John, who would address his entire Church, the Church of Asia Minor, specifically, the diocese of Ephesus.
So, the question is why did Jesus leave out Rome, if Rome, as it claims had a Vicar of Christ, who was supposed to be honoured by Jesus as the Pope to deliver the message on his behalf. Not forgetting that there is claimed by the RCC, that seven Notaries existed in Rome at the time, alongside the alleged Vicar of Christ.
Because John wasn't the bishop of the entire Church, he was the bishop of Ephesus.
So do you sincerely think that Jesus forgot to mention and to honour the RCC claim of it being THE Church? Or is it a question of why he deliberately did not mention it at the time?
Answered above.
Remembering that Rome claimed that it had succession well before the Revelation of Jesus Christ was written, so the claim existed according to RCC well before the Revelation of Jesus was given to John.
Right. Peter and Paul were in Rome in the 50s, John wrote just before the destruction of Jerusalem or later. Question, do you believe Paul was writing to the Church named in each letter? Why wasn't he addressing the entire Church?
Again, why did Jesus deliberately leave out Rome and snub His alleged Vicar?
Well he didn't snub his Vicar. But he was speaking to John. Had he wanted to address Peter, he would have.
This is a circular argument and you know it. Why do you do it? God sees the heart and you ought to be inclined to embrace the truth in this matter. Having said that, regardless of when John was given the Revelation of Jesus Christ, it was after the RCC claim of succession and their claim of it being THE Church.

Most importantly Jesus delivered his Revelation to his entire Church and the seven Churches symbolised the Minorah of God and there is no justification on your part to imply that Rome was left out, for the implied reason that it was not meant to be addressed by Jesus, had Jesus at the time considered it as THE Church. There are no churches running in parallel here my friend. I urge you to come to the light of the truth in the matter and understand that the entire Church of Christ Jesus was being personally addressed by him, without exception.
oooooh, bolded letters! Jesus spoke to the entire Church, he just only mentioned the parishes in the diocese of Ephesus. It would have been a very long day had Jesus been speaking to each parish in the world. Jesus spoke to the parishes under John's authority. So what???
I did not say that other churches did not exist in Europe, so don't spin that please. I simply said that the seven Notaries/Bishops, who represented Christ's entire Church in Asia Minor were addressed and were the recepients of the letter. The fact is, there was no Bishop in this respect that was left out from being directly the recipient of Christ's evaluation and chastisement, this means that those churches in Europe reported to several of the Bishops in Asia Minor.

Where is the RCC's honoured Vicar of Christ in this situation and respect? This is the important question and why hasn't he been addressed by Jesus?

Don't assume that Jesus didn't speak to all the leaders of his entire Church, because the onus is on you to try and discredit Jesus and to make a claim that the Revelation of Jesus was written before RCC claims of it being the Church and/or that they were not the recepients to the letter, which implies Jesus did not address his Church?

The claim that Jesus did not address His Church, which is THE Church is therefore discrediting Jesus.

Do you see your delima my friend.
I don't have a dilema, or even a dilemma.
You are welcome to claim anything you want, it does not mean that the titles of these compartmentalised dioceses the RCC gives are those that Jesus gives to his Church.

You see, there it is, the term Communion.

There is ONE Communion Biblically speaking, the Communion is with the Spirit of Christ Jesus. So in this RESPECT AND regard I would have to declare onto you, that my Communion is with my Pope Jesus Christ.
Actually, the communion is with the person of Jesus Christ, not the Spirit. The Pope is in communion with Jesus Christ, as Christ promised.
Obviously, one of us must be wrong, right?

Which one?
Not me.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Francis went into a political arena, requested/demanded law to be changed and/or introduced, is an authority that exceeds far and beyond a spiritual context, and is blatantly political.

Why do you call the actions of Francis spiritual and not political in this respect?

You know very well deep down in your heart that it is political.

I didn't say what you think I said. I said the Pope is not authoritative in secular matters, but in spiritual ones.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually, it is long standing diplomatic tradition that females that visit the pope should wear black, unless they are virgins. One exception, a queen who is Catholic may wear white.
Right, it's tradition. Not 'dictated by the pope' (that's what I was trying to say...)

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

You are mistaken, because I am an Orthodox Christian.

Your actions are a little harsh are they not?

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I didn't say what you think I said. I said the Pope is not authoritative in secular matters, but in spiritual ones.

Well, the kings, queens and leaders of the world look at him as having political authority. Whether he is authorised to influence politics or not, according to RCC charter is beside the point, because it counts how he is received and what actions the kings, queens and leaders take after hearing his requests.

You will not see Jesus standing in front of the Roman Senate demanding just legislation for the Jews, will you?

The UN are the governments of the world, as soon as Francis stepped onto the podium to request just legislation, he immediately steped into the political arena and involved himself into politics. There is no ifs or buts about his actions, yet only God knows his intent.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.