Is the Catholic Church considered a Denomination?

Do you consider the RCC to be a Denomination?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not at all.
Jesus gave us one Church, one Faith, one Baptism. We should all adhere to it.
I don't belong to a denomination. Jesus didn't create any denominations. He created His Church. No need for me to renounce anything when I'm already in adherence, in my own imperfect way, to His Call.
The above quotes are from another thread which led me to start this thread.

Simple question: Is the RCC considered a Denomination?
Is so, why. If not, why not.
Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: LLoJ

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I voted yes. Once the church split, each sect had to distinguish itself from the others by a specific name, label or moniker which is what the term denomination accomplishes.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I voted yes. Once the church split, each sect had to distinguish itself from the others by a specific name, label or moniker which is what the term denomination accomplishes.
If a branch falls from the tree, is the tree still a tree? IT is actually from the same seed, thus it is the same tree. Hence, no, the Catholic Church isn't a denomination.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is so, why. If not, why.
Thank you

All who believe (not only profess) in Christ risen are in the catholic Church, and surely that includes a lot of people from any 'denomination'. I'd guess there will be a very great many from the "Catholic" church in the Church, especially considering the much larger numbers. Also I can testify that many Catholics I met that I know are Catholic (they having volunteered this usually before I'd ask) are great examples of following Christ in doing such key things as "love your neighbor".

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If a branch falls from the tree, is the tree still a tree? IT is actually from the same seed, thus it is the same tree. Hence, no, the Catholic Church isn't a denomination.
The church at Rome was and is a branch of the tree of Christendom which is the church catholic.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is so, why. If not, why.
Thank you

In a way, it is, in that there are many flavors of Christianity. There are the few, such as the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, that have been around since the first Pentecost, there are some that happened in the Reformation, and then there are the ones that have split, and split, and split again, until you aren't sure whether they believe that Jesus is God.

And there are some, farther out, that preach the teaching of a certain man or woman being above anything that God might have said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said.

John 15:5
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

The Denominations of Christendom are the Branches in Christ.

There are no branches of the Catholic Church, it is itself a Denomination of the True Vine.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The church at Rome was and is a branch of the tree of Christendom which is the church catholic.
Oh, then every church in every city is a branch? In a way, you're right. Rome just has pride of place.

Upvote 0

jax5434

Nov 27, 2007
✟31,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In one sense this is a trick question. Catholic means universal and all members of the Body of Christ are members of the universal church. Roman Catholicism is a denomination and like all other denominations (IMO) some RCC members are Christians and some are not. Roman Catholic is a Christian Church but not THE Christian Church; ergo a denomination.
God Bless
Jax

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, then every church in every city is a branch? In a way, you're right. Rome just has pride of place.
I gotta give the Catholics credit, they do have a pretty palace and colorful guards...

upload_2017-9-19_17-42-31.jpeg
upload_2017-9-19_17-44-28.jpeg

Reactions: LLoJ
Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But scripture does not agree with your analogy. Paul used the analogy in Romans 11 that you should learn some things from.

1) Jesus is the root of the tree.
2) The tree is made of both Jews and Gentiles.
Today I say both Catholic and Protestant.
3) The branches that are broken off are those that reject Jesus.
As Protestants do not reject Jesus, they are not branches, but still the tree.

In fact the mighty tree you see is split with the different denominations, but we are all one, as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
None of the 4 ancient apostolic churches consider themselves (or the others) as denominations. The word was invented by the protestant west in the 17th century. The word 'denomination' would not even be understood in the protestant context in most languages.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I voted yes. Why?

Because the world indeed recognizes them as a denomination - however - the Catholic doctrine is in disagreement with the Bible as a whole. There are parts of the doctrine that twist the Gospel, to my understanding with the Bible.

That being said, those who identify as Catholic are still Christians. I think it's very important to take care that they are not condemned for what they identify with, just as someone else identifies as say Charismatic, Baptist, Pentecostal, ect. Every denomination carries with them Christians and parts of the Biblical truth.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Is so, why. If not, why not.
Thank you
Anyone who proclaims Christ crucified and risen from the dead for salvation is working in His favor, even if many holes can be picked in their theology or motivation.
So what is the RCC? All things are ours in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
None of the 4 ancient apostolic churches consider themselves (or the others) as denominations. The word was invented by the protestant west in the 17th century.
The word 'denomination' would not even be understood in the protestant context in most languages.
Interesting. Perhaps we should look into that.

Christian denomination - Wikipedia

Individual Christian groups vary widely in the degree to which they recognize one another. Several groups claim to be the direct and sole authentic successor of the church founded by Jesus Christ in the 1st century AD. Others, however, believe in denominationalism, where some or all Christian groups are legitimate churches of the same religion regardless of their distinguishing labels, beliefs, and practices.
Because of this concept, some Christian bodies reject the term "denomination" to describe themselves, to avoid implying equivalency with other churches or denominations.

The Catholic Church, the largest Christian denomination with roughly 1.2 billion members—slightly over half of all Christians worldwide—is the world's second largest religious denomination after Sunni Islam.[1]
However, the Catholic Church does not view itself as a denomination, but as the original pre-denominational church.[2] This view is rejected by other Christian denominations. Protestant denominations account for approximately 37 percent of Christians worldwide.[3]

The Eastern Orthodox Church, with an estimated 225–300 million adherents,[4] is the second-largest Christian organization in the world and also considers itself the original pre-denominational church.
Unlike the Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church is itself a communion of fully independent autocephalous churches (or "jurisdictions") that mutually recognize each other to the exclusion of others. The Eastern Orthodox Church, together with Oriental Orthodoxy and the Assyrian Church of the East, constitutes Eastern Christianity.

Christians have various doctrines about the Church (the body of the faithful that they believe Jesus Christ established) and about how the divine church corresponds to Christian denominations. Both Catholics and Eastern Orthodox hold that their own organizations faithfully represent the One Holy catholic and Apostolic Church to the exclusion of the other.
Sixteenth-century Protestants separated from the Catholic Church because of theologies and practices that they considered to be in violation of their own interpretation. Generally, members of the various denominations acknowledge each other as Christians

Since the reforms surrounding Vatican II of 1962-1965, the Catholic Church has referred to Protestant communities as "denominations", while reserving the term "church" for apostolic churches, including the Eastern Orthodox (see subsistit in and branch theory).
But some non-denominational Christians[5] do not follow any particular branch, though sometimes regarded as Protestants.[not verified in body]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.