Is the Assemblies of God no longer a traditional pentecostal denomination?

aog17

Sep 23, 2017
West
✟17,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My personal observation as well as other members have noticed that Aog is modernizing and adopting the Hillsong model. Their newest Superintendent Doug Clay, the leader of the Aog, is a Pastor who you would find in a contemporary worship center: dresses casual, is a soft spoken expository preacher and closes the sermon with the worship team playing music. Other Pentecostal denominations tend to elect old-fashioned, fiery charismatic preachers. Members of these churches would get excited to attend revival-style campmeetings to see their overseers preach.

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My personal observation as well as other members have noticed that Aog is modernizing and adopting the Hillsong model. Their newest Superintendent Doug Clay, the leader of the Aog, is a Pastor who you would find in a contemporary worship center: dresses casual, is a soft spoken expository preacher and closes the sermon with the worship team playing music. Other Pentecostal denominations tend to elect old-fashioned, fiery charismatic preachers. Members of these churches would get excited to attend revival-style campmeetings to see their overseers preach.

It probably still varies some from region to region, and I'm hoping in Quiet Bloke's case that he has a good one there in the UK. But in the States, no. They ceased being truly Pentecostal a long time ago. The focus is not on the baptism or operating in the spiritual gifts anymore. It is on church involvement (for the most part).

Upvote 0

aog17

Sep 23, 2017
West
✟17,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think AoG has ever been traditional,but it is certainly a Pentecostal Movement that I am grateful to belong to
There are still very charismatic Aog churches in developing countries that I would consider traditional Pentecostal. Aog churches in the United States tend to be more reserved.

Upvote 0

aog17

Sep 23, 2017
West
✟17,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It probably still varies some from region to region, and I'm hoping in Quiet Bloke's case that he has a good one there in the UK. But in the States, no. They ceased being truly Pentecostal a long time ago. The focus is not on the baptism or operating in the spiritual gifts anymore. It is on church involvement (for the most part).
In a modern Aog church, they still operate spiritual gifts but are more reserved, preferring to speak in tongues silently. If someone spoke in tongues out loud, it usually comes with interpretation and the Pastor has to pause the service and explain to newcomers the gift of tongues/interpretation. They don’t do loud and fiery prayer in altar calls and slain in the spirit, but instead close the service with worship, sometimes they have prayer teams come to the altar if one wants to get prayed over during the closing song.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,263.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We need to be churches moving on in the Holy Spirit together. I can truely say I am part of a church that is doing that. It is an Assemblies of God church,but not bound by tradition,but moving on in the purpose of God and reaching out to the community around

Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We need to be churches moving on in the Holy Spirit together. I can truely say I am part of a church that is doing that. It is an Assemblies of God church,but not bound by tradition,but moving on in the purpose of God and reaching out to the community around
True, God is able. God is able to raise her up to that said glory which stands as her destiny. For the AOG, God is able such as is confirmed here!

Upvote 0

Techo

Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Down under the AOG church 'rebranded' in 2007. I am not sure why. (A common reason tends to be so that the group can disassociate themselves from bad publicity arising from some individual fellowships). The Assemblies of God in Australia is now calling themselves Australian Christian Churches. There are still some churches that retain the AOG 'label' but many now use other names such as Harvest Church, Faith Christian Church or Gateway Church. From talking with someone from Harvest, this name change seems to be confusing for some who have been in the AOG for many years or who travel to (or from) Australia a fair bit.

I am not sure that the current direction some of the fellowship is going is good for the Church, in general. My wife and I walked out from one that we were visiting because the music was over-powering the singing to the point that I could not understand the words that the congregation or front group were singing. All my wife heard when she was in the toilet was 'Thump, thump, thump'! On the way out we declined the offer of ear plugs.

I suspect my children may all go to the ACC churches nearest to where they live... where ever that is.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Down under the AOG church 'rebranded' in 2007. I am not sure why. (A common reason tends to be so that the group can disassociate themselves from bad publicity arising from some individual fellowships). The Assemblies of God in Australia is now calling themselves Australian Christian Churches. There are still some churches that retain the AOG 'label' but many now use other names such as Harvest Church, Faith Christian Church or Gateway Church. From talking with someone from Harvest, this name change seems to be confusing for some who have been in the AOG for many years or who travel to (or from) Australia a fair bit.

I am not sure that the current direction some of the fellowship is going is good for the Church, in general. My wife and I walked out from one that we were visiting because the music was over-powering the singing to the point that I could not understand the words that the congregation or front group were singing. All my wife heard when she was in the toilet was 'Thump, thump, thump'! On the way out we declined the offer of ear plugs.

I suspect my children may all go to the ACC churches nearest to where they live... where ever that is.
It happened to two that I went to. Still, there remains those who are firm to the teachings of AOG, but for those who parted, this separation isn't over the loss of Pentecostalism from the formal AOG itself, but a stepping away (cooling) from chosen oversight, refusing regional compliance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟979,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It became another denomination.
Well, I suppose there may be some depth to your impression, as the org responds little over today's concerns. Nonetheless, the faithfull AOG whom I mentioned still maintains, ", , the Assemblies of God is considered a cooperative fellowship instead of a denomination."

Upvote 0