Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not a conspiracy theory to suggest that a person who said "Good people on both sides" and "they're rapists" led to a rise in hate crime. We really do live in a post-truth society, don't we?

I said this in another thread and will repeat it: pretending that racism doesn't exist to protect the fragile egos of some folks (no, not necessarily anyone here) is not going to "solve" racism.

Yes, the Asian-American community is under attack because of the rhetoric over the "China virus".
Ringo

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not a conspiracy theory to suggest that a person who said "Good people on both sides" and "they're rapists" led to a rise in hate crime. We really do live in a post-truth society, don't we?

If you believe what you just quoted, then I guess we do.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I said this in another thread and will repeat it: pretending that racism doesn't exist to protect the fragile egos of some folks (no, not necessarily anyone here) is not going to "solve" racism.

Yes, the Asian-American community is under attack because of the rhetoric over the "China virus".
Ringo

Way too much false information there....
Already addressed about a dozen times.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Not at all. I think attacks on whites are through the roof.

My initial reaction to reading this was immense eyerolling and sarcasm. But I regained my composure, so you say you think attacks on whites are through the roof.

Why do you think that? And what data can you provide to back that up?

Or is this more just the kinda thing you heard from your "not a racist, but" friend or relative on Facebook?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Foamhead

I like water
Aug 27, 2005
✟42,341.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It always amuses me that certain people get all bent out of shape claiming descrimination when society finally puts the brakes on them discriminating against everybody else.

"Poor, poor me! I'm being discriminated against because I'm not allowed to discriminate against the gays, the blacks, the latinos, the asians. How will I ever live my life?'

The same way those people have been living theirs.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It always amuses me that certain people get all bent out of shape claiming descrimination when society finally puts the brakes on them discriminating against everybody else.

"Poor, poor me! I'm being discriminated against because I'm not allowed to discriminate against the gays, the blacks, the latinos, the asians. How will I ever live my life?'

The same way those people have been living theirs.

Instead of straw manning, it's often more fruitful, and less antagonizing, to engage in steel manning techniques.

Use the steel man technique to persuade people who disagree with you | Conversion Rate Experts

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,662.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is it true white supremacists are attacking the Asian community now, and that the latest shooting was a hate crime against the Asian community?

...Or is the media just fabricating a "conspiracy theory" to villainize the "white majority" again?

Asian-Americans Are Being Attacked. Why Are Hate Crime Charges So Rare?

It's too early to tell definitively, but the tentative answer would be "yes".

US wide racial hate crime stats from the FBI aren't out for 2020, but some state and city level stats are. A number of large urban areas (New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Oakland, Houston, San Francisco, Dallas, Savannah) have all reported spikes in hate crimes specifically targeting Asians.

The FBI also issued a warning late in early 2020 and then again in late 2020 that it was seeing an increase in the number of anti-Asian hate crimes.

A confounding issue - similar, but different, to some African American communities - for the issue is a strong tendency for Asian Americans not to report such issues to the police. There's a representative organisation that found that fewer than 10% of incidents, including those of violence, actually get reported to police. Bystanders and/or concerned individuals are more likely to report an incident.

EDIT: To add to this, a look at city level law enforcement agencies from just 15 cities shows 123 incidents defined as a hate crime. That compares to a US wide total of 153 incidents in 2019.

There's also the Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism that found that 1Q2021 anti-Asian hate crimes were up 169% compared to the same time in 2020.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's too early to tell definitively, but the tentative answer would be "yes".

US wide racial hate crime stats from the FBI aren't out for 2020, but some state and city level stats are. A number of large urban areas (New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Oakland, Houston, San Francisco, Dallas, Savannah) have all reported spikes in hate crimes specifically targeting Asians.

The FBI also issued a warning late in early 2020 and then again in late 2020 that it was seeing an increase in the number of anti-Asian hate crimes.

A confounding issue - similar, but different, to some African American communities - for the issue is a strong tendency for Asian Americans not to report such issues to the police. There's a representative organisation that found that fewer than 10% of incidents, including those of violence, actually get reported to police. Bystanders and/or concerned individuals are more likely to report an incident.

EDIT: To add to this, a look at city level law enforcement agencies from just 15 cities shows 123 incidents defined as a hate crime. That compares to a US wide total of 153 incidents in 2019.

There's also the Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism that found that 1Q2021 anti-Asian hate crimes were up 169% compared to the same time in 2020.
You seem to be making the assumption that the attackers are white, are they?

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,662.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My post never mentioned white, except to reference the OP. What I wrote refers to hate crime victim numbers, not perpetrators.

However, based on historical data, and anecdotal reports from the last 12 months, its not an unjustifiable assumption that whites are responsible for a majority, or even a preponderance of these crimes.

Definitive answers will have to wait until comprehensive statistics are available.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My post never mentioned white, except to reference the OP. What I wrote refers to hate crime victim numbers, not perpetrators.

However, based on historical data, and anecdotal reports from the last 12 months, its not an unjustifiable assumption that whites are responsible for a majority, or even a preponderance of these crimes.

Definitive answers will have to wait until comprehensive statistics are available.
There seems to be good reason to believe that at least many if not the majority are Black people. I have not looked for numbers to back this up but I have read some articles that make that suggestion.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There seems to be good reason to believe that at least many if not the majority are Black people. I have not looked for numbers to back this up but I have read some articles that make that suggestion.

It seems that whenever one of these attacks are done and reported on ABC News, it's almost always a black guy who did the attack.

Upvote 0

Subdood

Jul 14, 2008
Cloud 8.95
✟44,468.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Is it true white supremacists are attacking the Asian community now, and that the latest shooting was a hate crime against the Asian community?

...Or is the media just fabricating a "conspiracy theory" to villainize the "white majority" again?

Asian-Americans Are Being Attacked. Why Are Hate Crime Charges So Rare?

Why are hate crime charges rare? Because most of the attacks are carried out by blacks and the authorities are more reluctant to charge blacks under hate crime laws.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Neither of those comments pertain to Asians.

• Haha
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
he nastily called it the "Chyna" virus several times on TV
so yes I blame him for rise in hate towards Asians

There’s nothing nasty about saying that the virus originated in the country that it did in fact originate. The real question it why so many are determined to play down the virus’s Chinese origins. Big business habitually wants to whitewash China’s conduct because that’s where the money is made...

Upvote 0