✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nathan Poe said:
Merely playing Devil's Advocate... so to speak.

Tee hee... if you read my posting history, you'd know that scare tactics don't work on me.

And since a horde of Christians have already told me I'm going to die in my sins and Go to hell anyway, why would I refuse the mark? Sounds like I've already been judged and found guilty.

"If this be treason, let us make the most of it!" --Patrick Henry
I really don't think that the devil needs an advocate. He's doing pretty good on his own. No, I'm new on here, so haven't read your post history. I'm not judging you. Only God is the judge of a persons heart. I just thought it odd that you stated what you did, and then I noticed your agnostic icon. Like you were fence sitting, and can't decide which way to go :scratch:.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the point Nathan was making was: some Christians seem to take a very...gleeful attitude about unbelevers and the world God created (according to their beliefs, not Nathen's) ending with them being proven right and everyone else proved wrong (with lots of destruction for everyone else!) :(
tulc

Upvote 0

NoDeity

Wicked Old Atheist
May 29, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
✟8,604.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[shrug] It seems that every generation of Christians have thought themselves to be the last. Their score so far: 0

Way, way back when I was wasting my youth in a post-secondary Bible institution instead going out to raise heck in the clubs as a proper young man should, I wrote an essay about this for the student paper. The president of the school liked it so much that he incorporated part of it into his sermon the next Sunday.

I'll try to remember what my main points were.

1) All the really important stuff in the Bible is pretty clear, laid out in a straightforward manner (so it seemed to me at the time). The stuff about the end times, the rapture, the antichrist, etc., is all rather unclear and kind of muddled. Intelligent and sincere Christians studying the text come up with a wide variety of interpretations and sequences of events and they each can make very good cases for their view being the biblically correct one. Studying them all, it's very difficult to come up with a really good reason to pick one view over the others.

If it was really important for us to know about it, don't you think it would be laid out a little more clearly?

2) (see the statement with which I opened this post)

3) So what is fuelling the constant stream of "end times" books? (at the time I wrote the essay, it was mostly Hal Lindsay) Well, it's a "sexy" issue (meaning that it grabs readers' attention very quickly and effectively). Why do writers love sexy issues? Because people love to read that stuff and that translates into $$$. It is my opinion that the Mighty Buck is the fuel behind this trend, as with so many others.

4) Really, what's the point? What is the value of all this "end times" speculation? It seems like a singularly useless exercise. If the basic tenets of Christianity are correct, then Christians should be living every day as if Jesus was returning any second. The way I saw it back then, that should be the normal Christian life. If so, then what is the point of all these elaborate scenarios? So you'll know when to get ready? You should be ready now and always!

...or something like that. It's been a few decades.

Upvote 0

DJ B.K.

But I'm Le Tired...
Jun 24, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
Visit site
✟18,551.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree nodeity that we christians worry to much about the end times. I don't care how or when it's going to happen I just feel like it's going to happen sometime. I try to live like every days my last before Jesus comes, while I ain't perfect I try. Oh no I agreed with an atheist! :eek: ;) Seriously though you have a better handle on christianity then a lot of christians, but I've seen that a lot unfournately. I'm not saying I'm perfect but some things christians do just make me wonder.

Upvote 0

NoDeity

Wicked Old Atheist
May 29, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
✟8,604.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
P.O.D. Cincy Warrior said:
Oh no I agreed with an atheist! :eek: ;)
If I were still a Christian I would assure you that it's okay because if God is capable of speaking through a donkey, surely he can use an atheist. ;)

Seriously though you have a better handle on christianity then a lot of christians, but I've seen that a lot unfournately. I'm not saying I'm perfect but some things christians do just make me wonder.
Many atheists understand Christianity well because they used to be Christians. I was a Christian for a long time.

Upvote 0
Just a Child said:
You could be correct. But let's say the E.U. goes in camouflaged (here is where the deceit comes in) saying instead of the Palestinians or the Israelis patrolling the occupied land in question, why not allow the E.U. (military) to come in for a short period and patrol and assist (THAT IS A BIG ASSIST) in keeping the peace, saving lives, restoring the economy and creating a Palestinian State.

Something to think about.

YSIC,
JAC
Here is an update. Maybe the deceit is going to come from us after all. I pray not.:prayer: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104081,00.html

Upvote 0

Nazarene77

In Jesus Precious Name, Amen
Sep 20, 2002
Tennessee, Sounds Good to Me!
✟790.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Telstar said:
1. Israel would not "stomp" the EU - in fact, the EU outguns Israel in every conceivable category: economy, population, military, nuclear weapons delivery systems, total number of warheads, etc.

2. The US would not "stomp" Europe as a result of any (highly unlikely) attack on Israel. The US has far too much to lose - economically and militarily -- in such a scenario. I doubt you even thought that through, before posting it.

3. The EU does not send "billions to Arafat". Care to try again?
If the EU attacks Israel (although I believe Russia will attack Israel and not the EU), then God himself will stomp the EU; no need for America to get involved. Just read Ezekiel 38 (Gog War) for more info. ;)

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Look folks........if you want the answer.........when Jesus comes, He will be like a thief in the night and NO ONE Is gonna know when that will be......period. Stop worrying about it and just live. Even if you could know the exact date and time there's not a thing you could do to advance or delay it. Be the best Christian you can be. I don't think God would want us spending this much time or energy worrying.

Upvote 0

27D4

Jul 12, 2003
California
Visit site
✟500.00
Faith
Protestant
Damien Nightbane said:
The easiest way to achieve peace in the middle east is to glass the region and shoot the survivors.
BurnBookOfWar said:
The Nation Of Islam is the closest thing to anti-christ...
We need another Crusades...

Havoc said:
Can't you just feel the Christian Love? And they wonder why we don't want to be Christians...
Neither Damien N. or BurnBook are listed as Christians. Could be Celtic Witches for all we know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WanderingMagi

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟445.00
Faith
Protestant
Nazarene77 said:
If the EU attacks Israel (although I believe Russia will attack Israel and not the EU), then God himself will stomp the EU; no need for America to get involved. Just read Ezekiel 38 (Gog War) for more info. ;)
The Romans did pretty well at Jerusalem. As did quite a few in the Old Testament. God only fights on the side of Israel when they are acting truly and completely as his people, and put their faith in him.

WanderingMagi

Upvote 0

WanderingMagi

Nov 15, 2003
Visit site
✟445.00
Faith
Protestant
NoDeity said:
Many atheists understand Christianity well because they used to be Christians. I was a Christian for a long time.
Only the case if Christianity is false: otherwise what you had is at best some book-learning

1 John 2:19
NoDeity said:
They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.
WanderingMagi

Upvote 0

NoDeity

Wicked Old Atheist
May 29, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
✟8,604.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nothin' like an End Times discussion to bring out the ol' blood lust, eh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.