Is the 1st resurrection initially being applied before or after death?

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If the martyrs in Revelation 20:4 are resurrected after death though, this would indicate they are baptized after death. I for one haven't heard of such a thing as that. I don't recall reading anywhere in the Bible that saints are baptized after death. The point being, the text seems to indicate they are resurrected after death, and not before death instead.
Aren't we death before being baptized in Christ?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

If it is after death only a bodily resurrection appears to be applicable. If it is before death only a spiritual resurrection appears to be applicable.

and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands

and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

This is the first resurrection

The text states this----and I saw the souls of them

Then the text goes on to state this----and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

How should that be understood?

Like such?

and the souls of them lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

Or like such instead?

and the bodily resurrected martyrs lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

One thing we do know is this, or at least we should if we don't. and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years---equals this---This is the first resurrection.

What does this at least tell us? That the first resurrection can't precede nor follow the thousand years. One can't reign with Christ a thousand years before the thousand years even begin. Nor can one reign with Christ a thousand years when the thousand years have expired. This would indicate, assuming the first resurrection is spiritual, meaning when one is initially saved in this age, no one can be saved during satan's little season in that case. The reason being, you can't have the first resurrection without the reigning of a thousand years. satan's little season is after the thousand years.

The question then is this. The martyrs in Revelation 20:4, are they already reigning with Christ a thousand years when they are initially martyred? Or because they have been martyred, they then reign with Christ a thousand years at some later point in the future?

The former would imply that the martyred are resurrected while they are still physically alive. The latter would imply they are resurrected after they have already physically died first. The former would fit a position such as Amil. The latter, a position such as Premil. The way the text reads to me, it is the latter. And I'm not just saying that because I'm Premil. I'm saying that because that is literally how the text reads to me.
If you read the rest of the scripture it continues on...

This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

The first resurrection is spiritual, the born again experience and the receiving of His Holy Spirit. We are resurrected into the Body of Christ. The second resurrection is overcoming the second spiritual death where judgment and wrath is laid upon humanity. This is the narrow gate for those who have stayed the course.
Blessings

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus returns there are still lost people as part of the beast's armies still physically alive and not even dead yet. And once they end up dead, they have to be raised back to life in order to be present at the GWTJ. Can't do that if the resurrection of the unjust already preceded their deaths.

All of that is found in Revelation 11:18.

First we have the "wrath" come upon the nations, which would be the living.

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come,

Then we have "the time of the judgment of the dead".

and the time of the dead, that they should be judged,

Which includes "reward" for some.

and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great;

and others will be "destroyed".

and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All of that is found in Revelation 11:18.

First we have the "wrath" come upon the nations, which would be the living.

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come,

Then we have "the time of the judgment of the dead".

and the time of the dead, that they should be judged,

Which includes "reward" for some.

and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great;

and others will be "destroyed".

and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Why did you stop at verse 18 though? What about verse 19? There is no earthquake and great hail occurring at the GWTJ. Obviously the earthquake and great hail involves the destroying of them which destroy the earth. You don't rain hail on people already dead, you rain hail on people still alive.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why did you stop at verse 18 though? What about verse 19? There is no earthquake and great hail occurring at the GWTJ. Obviously the earthquake and great hail involves the destroying of them which destroy the earth. You don't rain hail on people already dead, you rain hail on people still alive.

Another question would be, why are you trying to ignore "the time of the judgment of the dead" in Revelation 11:18?

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

A second question would be, if events are occurring simultaneously, does it sometimes take several pages of text to describe that event? Ask a police officer who has to describe a multi-vehicle traffic fatality.

If the Second Coming of Christ is found in Revelation 16:15-16, and also in chapter 19, do you think the Book of Revelation is in chronological order?

Is the hail also described in chapter 16?

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
Rev 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
Rev 16:17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.
Rev 16:18 And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.
Rev 16:19 And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath.
Rev 16:20 And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.
Rev 16:21 And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.

Is fire described in chapter 20, as described by Paul at the Second Coming of Christ in 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10?

Rev 20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Is fire described on "the day of the Lord" when He "comes as a thief" in 2 Peter 3:10-13?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another question would be, why are you trying to ignore "the time of the judgment of the dead" in Revelation 11:18?

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

A second question would be, if events are occurring simultaneously, does it sometimes take several pages of text to describe that event? Ask a police officer who has to describe a multi-vehicle traffic fatality.

If the Second Coming of Christ is found in Revelation 16:15-16, and also in chapter 19, do you think the Book of Revelation is in chronological order?

Rev 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
Rev 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
Rev 16:17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.
Rev 16:18 And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.
Rev 16:19 And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came in remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath.
Rev 16:21 And there fell upon men a great hail out of heaven, every stone about the weight of a talent: and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail; for the plague thereof was exceeding great.

Is fire described in chapter 20, as described by Paul at the Second Coming of Christ in 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10?

Rev 20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Is fire described on "the day of the Lord" when He "comes as a thief" in 2 Peter 3:10-13?

I'm not ignoring the time of the dead. It is apparently meaning the time of the dead in regards to the saved and not the lost as well. Because if it was meaning the time of the lost dead as well, that would indicate the GWTJ would have to be in view here. Verse 19 proves otherwise. Because like I already pointed out, you don't rain hail on people already dead, you rain hail on people who are still alive. No way can the GWTJ occur when there are still lost people physically alive on the earth. Verse 19 undeniably proves that there still are. Disregard any of that though, right? Just toss logic out the window altogether, right?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not ignoring the time of the dead. It is apparently meaning the time of the dead in regards to the saved and not the lost as well. Because if it was meaning the time of the lost dead as well, that would indicate the GWTJ would have to be in view here.

Are you saying there are no lost people in the verse below?

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How many times I have I already told you now that I don't see Revelation being in chronological order from start to finish? I may have to put it in my Signature that I don't believe Revelation is chronological from start to finish---lol. Yet Revelation still involves chronology though, because if it didn't, that could mean the beast reigns 42 months after the 2nd coming rather than before the 2nd coming. That could mean the GWTJ could take place before all of the lost are even physically dead. So on and so on.

[/COLOR]
Rev 16:18 And there were voices, and thunders, and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such as was not since men werehttps://www.christianforums.com/attachments/upload?hash=b8e09a324fe9764516280023f5495cae&content_type=post&content_data[thread_id]=8119885 upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake, and so great.

And that is exactly what Revelation 11:19 connects to. It has to do with destroying those that have been destroying the earth. While this is happening the time of the dead has already been underway, but meaning during the time of the dead of the saved and not the lost, apparently.

As to the former, not if the thousand years follows the 2nd coming. As to the latter, probably so in that case.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many times I have I already told you now that I don't see Revelation being in chronological order from start to finish? I may have to put it in my Signature that I don't believe Revelation is chronological from start to finish---lol.

If the above is the truth, then you should have given up on your 1,000 year earthly reign of Christ after His Second Coming.
The idea cannot work unless the book is in chronological order.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

If it is after death only a bodily resurrection appears to be applicable. If it is before death only a spiritual resurrection appears to be applicable.

and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands

and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

This is the first resurrection

The text states this----and I saw the souls of them

Then the text goes on to state this----and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

How should that be understood?

Like such?

and the souls of them lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

Or like such instead?

and the bodily resurrected martyrs lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years

One thing we do know is this, or at least we should if we don't. and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years---equals this---This is the first resurrection.

What does this at least tell us? That the first resurrection can't precede nor follow the thousand years. One can't reign with Christ a thousand years before the thousand years even begin. Nor can one reign with Christ a thousand years when the thousand years have expired. This would indicate, assuming the first resurrection is spiritual, meaning when one is initially saved in this age, no one can be saved during satan's little season in that case. The reason being, you can't have the first resurrection without the reigning of a thousand years. satan's little season is after the thousand years.

The question then is this. The martyrs in Revelation 20:4, are they already reigning with Christ a thousand years when they are initially martyred? Or because they have been martyred, they then reign with Christ a thousand years at some later point in the future?

The former would imply that the martyred are resurrected while they are still physically alive. The latter would imply they are resurrected after they have already physically died first. The former would fit a position such as Amil. The latter, a position such as Premil. The way the text reads to me, it is the latter. And I'm not just saying that because I'm Premil. I'm saying that because that is literally how the text reads to me.

A resurrection, as the scripture describes it, always refers to a literal, bodily resurrection. I have not yet found any passages that apply resurrection in any other way. Souls and spirits never really die the way a body dies.

If the text reads the resurrection of those saints killed by the Anti-Christ during the tribulation as being a bodily resurrection, then that is what it is referring to and that is how I’ve always understood it.

The scriptures have been written to say exactly what they mean and to mean exactly what they say. If you are approaching this passage at face value, then you are reading it exactly as it should be read because that is how the scriptures were designed to be read.

If anyone else tries to tell you otherwise, beware. Do not listen to them because it is when scripture is rendered in any other sense than a face-value word-for-word approach that confusion arises and false doctrines and heresies spring forth.

Granted that there are those who may misunderstand, misapply, or even attempt to harmonize scripture with doctrines and beliefs that run contrary to the plain sense meaning thereof out of ignorance, but there are also those professors of the faith who, no matter what, insist on applying scripture in a manner that it was not meant to be applied propagate doctrine that it does not support while having the audacity to claim that it does, leading me to question what the attitude of their hearts are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the above is the truth, then you should have given up on your 1,000 year earthly reign of Christ after His Second Coming.
The idea cannot work unless the book is in chronological order.

You are being ridiculous here. And I will prove it. What about Revelation 21, per your perspective? Since the book is not in chronological order, this should mean that even you don't think the NHNE chronologically follows the GWTJ in that case. Yet, I bet you do think it does though. When Premils conclude Revelation 20 chronologically follows Revelation 19, you give the impression there is no such thing in the book of Revelation where the events in one chapter chronologically continues in the next chapter, while at the same time you do believe there is such a thing.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are being ridiculous here. And I will prove it. What about Revelation 21, per your perspective? Since the book is not in chronological order, this should mean that even you don't think the NHNE chronologically follows the GWTJ in that case. Yet, I bet you do think it does though. When Premils conclude Revelation 20 chronologically follows Revelation 19, you give the impression there is no such thing in the book of Revelation where the events in one chapter chronologically continues in the next chapter, while at the same time you do believe there is such a thing.

Peter said this earth is going to burn on "the day of the Lord", when He "comes as a thief", in 2 Peter 3:10-13.

Paul said the fire comes at the return of Christ in 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10.

Do you think Peter, and Paul were both wrong?

If you are looking for a timeline, how much simpler can it get?

Peter was looking for the New Heavens and the New Earth, and I am looking for the same thing. This is what we find in Revelation chapter 21.

This proves the end of Revelation chapter 20 is the Second Coming of Christ.

To top it off, there are no mortals left alive on the planet at the end of Matthew 25:31-46?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A resurrection, as the scripture describes it, always refers to a literal, bodily resurrection. I have not yet found any passages that apply resurrection in any other way.

What would you call it when a person who was dead comes to life?

John 5:24

(CJB) Yes, indeed! I tell you that whoever hears what I am saying and trusts the One who sent me has eternal life -- that is, he will not come up for judgment but has already crossed over from death to life!

(ESV) Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

(Geneva) Verely, verely I say vnto you, he that heareth my worde, and beleeueth him that sent me, hath euerlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but hath passed from death vnto life.

(Greek NT TR) αμην αμην λεγω υμιν οτι ο τον λογον μου ακουων και πιστευων τω πεμψαντι με εχει ζωην αιωνιον και εις κρισιν ουκ ερχεται αλλα μεταβεβηκεν εκ του θανατου εις την ζωην

(GW) I can guarantee this truth: Those who listen to what I say and believe in the one who sent me will have eternal life. They won't be judged because they have already passed from death to life.

(LITV-TSP) Truly, truly, I say to you, the one who hears My word, and believes the One who has sent Me, has everlasting life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

(KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

(KJV+) Verily,G281 verily,G281 I sayG3004 unto you,G5213 (G3754) He that hearethG191 myG3450 word,G3056 andG2532 believethG4100 on him that sentG3992 me,G3165 hathG2192 everlastingG166 life,G2222 andG2532 shall notG3756 comeG2064 intoG1519 condemnation;G2920 butG235 is passedG3327 fromG1537 deathG2288 untoG1519 life.G2222

(NKJV) "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

(YLT) 'Verily, verily, I say to you—He who is hearing my word, and is believing Him who sent me, hath life age-during, and to judgment he doth not come, but hath passed out of the death to the life.

• Winner
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Seville90210

Psalm 118:26
Aug 4, 2018
Los Angeles
✟22,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

(CJB) Yes, indeed! I tell you that whoever hears what I am saying and trusts the One who sent me has eternal life -- that is, he will not come up for judgment but has already crossed over from death to life!

(ESV) Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

(Geneva) Verely, verely I say vnto you, he that heareth my worde, and beleeueth him that sent me, hath euerlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but hath passed from death vnto life.

(Greek NT TR) αμην αμην λεγω υμιν οτι ο τον λογον μου ακουων και πιστευων τω πεμψαντι με εχει ζωην αιωνιον και εις κρισιν ουκ ερχεται αλλα μεταβεβηκεν εκ του θανατου εις την ζωην

(GW) I can guarantee this truth: Those who listen to what I say and believe in the one who sent me will have eternal life. They won't be judged because they have already passed from death to life.

(LITV-TSP) Truly, truly, I say to you, the one who hears My word, and believes the One who has sent Me, has everlasting life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

(KJV) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

(KJV+) Verily,G281 verily,G281 I sayG3004 unto you,G5213 (G3754) He that hearethG191 myG3450 word,G3056 andG2532 believethG4100 on him that sentG3992 me,G3165 hathG2192 everlastingG166 life,G2222 andG2532 shall notG3756 comeG2064 intoG1519 condemnation;G2920 butG235 is passedG3327 fromG1537 deathG2288 untoG1519 life.G2222

(NKJV) "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

(YLT) 'Verily, verily, I say to you—He who is hearing my word, and is believing Him who sent me, hath life age-during, and to judgment he doth not come, but hath passed out of the death to the life.

I'll bet you your bible you think it means a resurrection. And I'll say this, you're 110% COMPLETELY WRONG! You missed the mark by a thousand miles.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In Revelation 20 the Greek word used for resurrection is 'anastasis'.

That same Greek word is used in all of the following verses. Now point out which verse or verses that it is used in below where it doesn't mean a bodily resurrection.

Matt 22:28, Matt 22:30, Mark 12:23, Luke 14:14, Luke 20:33, John 11:24, Rev 20:6

Matt 22:31, Luke 20:35, Luke 20:36, Acts 1:22, Acts 2:31, Acts 4:33, Acts 23:6, Acts 24:21, Acts 26:23, Rom 1:4, Rom 6:5, Php 3:10, Heb 6:2, Heb 11:35, Heb 11:35, 1 Pe 1:3, 1 Pe 3:21

Matt 22:23, Mark 12:18, Luke 2:34, Luke 20:27, John 5:29, John 5:29, Acts 4:2, Acts 17:18, Acts 17:32, Acts 23:8, Acts 24:15, 2 Ti 2:18

John 11:25, 1 Cor 15:12, 1 Cor 15:13, 1 Cor 15:21, 1 Cor 15:42, Rev 20:5

BTW, I don't see John 5:24 listed anywhere above. Maybe that's because 'anastasis' doesn't mean John 5:24. Could that be the reason why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Seville90210

Aug 4, 2018
Los Angeles
✟22,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

BAB, can you answer this question for everyone to see?

If a person is literally dead, how will he be able to believe or trust anyone?

Your brain and heart has to be alive in order to believe or trust in anyone.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It is simple: A resurrection as I just described. And the resurrection to which the dead in Christ will attain to is the resurrection unto everlasting life. Because Christ Himself rose from the dead, we too have the hope that even though we die, we will not stay dead, but that we will one day be raised anew, never to see death again.

Upvote 0

Seville90210

Aug 4, 2018
Los Angeles
✟22,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Question: "What is eternal life?"

Answer:
When the Bible speaks of eternal life, it refers to a gift of God that comes only “through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23). This gift is in contrast to the “death” that is the natural result of sin.

The gift of eternal life comes to those who believe in Jesus Christ, who is Himself “the resurrection and the life” (John 11:25). The fact that this life is “eternal” indicates that it is perpetual life—it goes on and on and on, with no end.

It is a mistake, however, to view eternal life as simply an unending progression of years. A common New Testament word for “eternal” is aiónios, which carries the idea of quality as well as quantity. In fact, eternal life is not really associated with “years” at all, as it is independent of time. Eternal life can function outside of and beyond time, as well as within time.

For this reason, eternal life can be thought of as something that Christians experience now. Believers don’t have to “wait” for eternal life, because it’s not something that starts when they die. Rather, eternal life begins the moment a person exercises faith in Christ. It is our current possession. John 3:36 says, “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life.” Note that the believer “has” (present tense) this life (the verb is present tense in the Greek, too). We find similar present-tense constructions in John 5:24 and John 6:47. The focus of eternal life is not on our future, but on our current standing in Christ.

The Bible inextricably links eternal life with the Person of Jesus Christ. John 17:3 is an important passage in this regard, as Jesus prays, “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” Here, Jesus equates “eternal life” with a knowledge of God and of the Son. There is no knowledge of God without the Son, for it is through the Son that the Father reveals Himself to the elect (John 17:6; 14:9).

This life-giving knowledge of the Father and the Son is a true, personal knowledge, not just an academic awareness. There will be some on Judgment Day who had claimed to be followers of Christ but never really had a relationship with Him. To those false professors, Jesus will say, “I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!” (Matthew 7:23). The apostle Paul made it his goal to know the Lord, and he linked that knowledge to resurrection from the dead: “I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead” (Philippians 3:10–11).

In the New Jerusalem, the apostle John sees a river flowing from “the throne of God and of the Lamb,” and “on each side of the river stood the tree of life. . . . And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations” (Revelation 22:1–2). In Eden, we rebelled against God and were banished from the tree of life (Genesis 3:24). In the end, God graciously restores our access to the tree of life. This access is provided through Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29).

Right now, every sinner is invited to know Christ and to receive eternal life: “Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life” (Revelation 22:17).

How can you know that you have eternal life? First of all, confess your sin before our holy God. Then accept God’s provision of a Savior on your behalf. “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13). Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died for your sins, and He rose again the third day. Believe this good news; trust the Lord Jesus as your Savior, and you will be saved (Acts 16:31; Romans 10:9 –10).

John puts it so simply: “God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life” (1 John 5:11–12).

What is eternal life?

=======================

Matthew 25:46 King James Version (KJV)

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

This verse in Matthew 25 is not referring to everyone becoming immortal. Some people think this is what will happen after the second coming, but they're wrong!

Below is what "Life" actually means in the bible.

Hebrews 8:11
And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.

Habakkuk 2:14
For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.

Jeremiah 31:34
And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Isaiah 11:9
They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.

In short, eternal life means a personal intimate relationship knowing God the Father and Jesus His Son (through the holy spirit). John 17:3

It has nothing to do with immortality. No one cease to exist upon death, all continue in life either with God or with the devil.

John 17:3 King James Version (KJV)
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

What Matthew 25:46 is telling us is at that time after the tribulation, God will pour out His holy spirit upon the entire world and have a relationship with everyone that survived. Everyone all over the world will know God and Jesus intimately from sea to sea.

Matthew 25:46 King James Version (KJV)
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is simple: A resurrection as I just described. And the resurrection to which the dead in Christ will attain to is the resurrection unto everlasting life. Because Christ Himself rose from the dead, we too have the hope that even though we die, we will not stay dead, but that we will one day be raised anew, never to see death again.

There are two different types of resurrection described by Christ in John chapter 5.

The first resurrection in John chapter 5 is the Spiritual resurrection from the dead found in John 5:24. This occurs upon faith in Christ.

The second resurrection in John chapter 5 is the bodily resurrection and judgment of the dead found in John 5:27-30. This occurs upon the Second Coming of Christ.
(See Revelation 11:15-18)

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 8:11
And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.

Habakkuk 2:14
For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.

Jeremiah 31:34
And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Those in the New Covenant do not need a teacher, because they already have the master teacher inside of them in the form of the Holy Spirit.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

1Jn 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Upvote 0