• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Is that what God is...?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by EPHRIAM777, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EPHRIAM777

EPHRIAM777 A REAL NICE GUY..!

+2
    I've heard peole say many times that GOD is LOVE...so would it be right to say then that LOVE..is GOD...?

What do you think about it.....?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. BT

BT Fanatic

+216
    Baptist
    Married
    Hi Ephriam,

The term God is Love is what's called an (and I know I'm going to butcher this word) Apromorphism (ouch sorry). Which is a technique found in scripture that breaks down an idea into something that we can understand.. Other examples of this technique are

Psalms 91:4
    "He shall cover you with his feathers, and under his wings shall you trust: his truth shall be your shield and buckler."

God isn't a big bird... the use of the wings and feathers is an Apromorphism.

Other examples are like... Jesus is the door...

It's just a way for humans to gain understanding of God.

3. Ben johnson

Ben johnson Legend Supporter

+384
    Christian
    Hi, BT. "Anthropomorphism"??? I think the "GOD-IS-LOVE" thing is more literal than that---I think that "God is the essence of love"---so it does work the other way to: "the essence of love is God". Is that what you meant, Ephriam?

"Everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the payment for our sins. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in Him, and He in God. We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him." 1Jn4

:)

4. OldShepherd

OldShepherd Zaqunraah

+172
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    1 John 4:8, God is love exegeted by A. T. Robertson, who taught Biblical Greek at the PhD/ThD level for 47 years.

• {He that loveth not} (\ho mê agapôn\). Present active articular participle of \agapaô\ "keeps on not loving." {Knoweth not God} (\ouk egnô ton theon\). Timeless aorist active indicative of \ginôskô\, has no acquaintance with God, never did get acquainted with him. {God is love} (\ho theos agapê estin\). Anarthrous predicate, not \hê agapê John does not say that love is God, but only that God is love. The two terms are not interchangeable. God is also light (#1:5) and spirit (#Joh 4:24).

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/

5. EPHRIAM777

+2
    BT said

Hi Ephriam,

God isn't a big bird... the use of the wings and feathers is an Apromorphism.

Other examples are like... Jesus is the door...

It's just a way for humans to gain understanding of God.

Eph replies...

Well I don't think God's feathers are yellow like big birds...But I'm not gonna say he doesn't have feathers either...!

DAN 4:33 says ol' NEB was practically turned into a bird..
    EX 25:20 says "cherubim" have wings..
    Rev 4:8..says those beasts have wings...
    ZEC 5:9 says those 2 women had wings like a stork does...!

So hey who knows..God might have some feathers too....but Big Bird looking..?? I doubt it...

:D

6. EPHRIAM777

+2
    I believe that God is LOVE...but not that "Love is God"....

Love is only 1 of God's personality traits...of which he has many..

He is love...but he can hate...be angry....be mad...be happy...be jealous...and he can be selfish too...!

...and YES I do have scripture for all that...!

;)

7. EPHRIAM777

+2
    Double posted..!

8. BT

BT Fanatic

+216
    Baptist
    Married
    Hey Ben thanks for bailing me out on the spelling. That's a wicked big word! :)

You're right it could be taken as more than that.

I don't think that God has wings. Those I know are Anthropomorphisms. Those other things that the Bible quotes as having wings probably do.. cherubims and seraphims etc.. We'll find out some day I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.