is Sunday morning church attendance a requirement for Christians?

The Kayay Guy

Dec 20, 2013
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer to this question is self evident to those living under the "law of grace", but to those living outside of grace, they seek to quote "chapter and verse" and require everyone else to live according to their interpretation of same. The Jews asked Jesus, "where should we worship?" His reply, "True worshipers worship the Father in spirit and in truth". The question which is posed above seeks a "legal" answer along with a justification for that answer. Jesus' life and death was not to establish another religion for people to "follow" according rules, regulations and special days, weeks, months, celebrations, etc., but to free us all from the dictates of religious traditions so that we can live according to God's word as revealed within us, free from the law, free from guilt, free from sin. And, no, my response does not encourage license to "do anything". Being a Christian requires that we live according to the law of love, and grace, and forgiveness. Who among us would not want to be with others who share this beautiful truth, only without a mandate that we MUST do so on a certain day of the week, or with a certain group of people other than those who have found this same truth, this same freedom, this same love?

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The answer to this question is self evident to those living under the "law of grace", but to those living outside of grace, they seek to quote "chapter and verse" and require everyone else to live according to their interpretation of same. The Jews asked Jesus, "where should we worship?" His reply, "True worshipers worship the Father in spirit and in truth". The question which is posed above seeks a "legal" answer along with a justification for that answer. Jesus' life and death was not to establish another religion for people to "follow" according rules, regulations and special days, weeks, months, celebrations, etc., but to free us all from the dictates of religious traditions so that we can live according to God's word as revealed within us, free from the law, free from guilt, free from sin. And, no, my response does not encourage license to "do anything". Being a Christian requires that we live according to the law of love, and grace, and forgiveness. Who among us would not want to be with others who share this beautiful truth, only without a mandate that we MUST do so on a certain day of the week, or with a certain group of people other than those who have found this same truth, this same freedom, this same love?

^^
I think this answer is one of the best in the threads.

No, we don't have to do anything on a certain day. We Born-Again Christians have two laws: Love God more than anything, and Love everybody else as much as we love ourselves.

If you do these two things, everything else falls into place with the help of the Holy Spirit. If you love God, you love Jesus (He says many times in the Gospels that 'he who loves the Father loves Me' and he tells the Pharisees that 'since you don't believe in Me, then you don't believe in He who sent me' and many other things He said along these lines).

If you love Jesus, then you will do what He instructs you to do through the Holy Spirit. You will seek His guidance, His wisdom, His will for you. You will want to read His word, you will want to hear Him through the Scriptures, and you will want to be around others who are in Him.

All of these things come with Loving Christ (and of course, through Him, the Father also).

So anybody that tells you that you must do this, or you must do that, is only trying to attach rules, regulations, rituals, days, moons, all of the things the Bible says we ought to be freed from.

In fact, the Bible (Paul) says that Colossians 2:16, that "Let no man judge you in meat, drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days".

This includes both Saturday AND Sunday.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes I was aware but the point I was making is the words you call into question are translations of words that meant Saturday and Sunday at the time of writing . No they were not added ,they are there in the language of writings

Thanks for clarifying, the way it came out sounded almost condescending. :) Sometimes this form of communication stinks!

Upvote 0

rkl1963

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for clarifying, the way it came out sounded almost condescending. :) Sometimes this form of communication stinks!

I can come across that way but I judge no one or exalt myself above. I am just promoting discussion on a subject so I can weigh the discussion against my beliefs to Prove all things. I think the more sides and views I expose myself to the best understanding has the chance of being exposed. I am subject to accept something more provable and have done this over and over again in my search for the truth.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can come across that way but I judge no one or exalt myself above. I am just promoting discussion on a subject so I can weigh the discussion against my beliefs to Prove all things. I think the more sides and views I expose myself to the best understanding has the chance of being exposed. I am subject to accept something more provable and have done this over and over again in my search for the truth.

That is a good attitude to have. We have a Saturday study group and when a new idea is presented, we have some scholarly folks with us and we all dissect the idea from multiple angles and in ways most would be surprised about. And if it stands when we are done, it is probably worthy of included in our lives. :) But, when we have somebody not used to the ways we do these things, it is something that can easily offend. Blessings!

Upvote 0

rkl1963

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In fact, the Bible (Paul) says that Colossians 2:16, that "Let no man judge you in meat, drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days".

With a little study about the culture of 1st century Jews you will understand that the Rabbinical law of the Pharisee had added commandments about food preparation, drinks and added requirements to holydays, the observance of the new moon and added 39 subcategories to all the sabbath commands which these certain jews where trying to apply to different sects of Judaism including christianity

Upvote 0

rkl1963

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is a good attitude to have. We have a Saturday study group and when a new idea is presented, we have some scholarly folks with us and we all dissect the idea from multiple angles and in ways most would be surprised about. And if it stands when we are done, it is probably worthy of included in our lives. :) But, when we have somebody not used to the ways we do these things, it is something that can easily offend. Blessings!

Yes if it is worth believing it should be provable all the way back to its orgin. More resources are coming to light every day

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With a little study about the culture of 1st century Jews you will understand that the Rabbinical law of the Pharisee had added commandments about food preparation, drinks and added requirements to holydays, the observance of the new moon and added 39 subcategories to all the sabbath commands which these certain jews where trying to apply to different sects of Judaism including christianity

Respectfully RK, I don't agree with this. While you are correct about the additions, I think once you get away from Judea there were already people trying to not look so Jewish in practice. So when he says that nobody should judge us when it comes to new moon celebrations, other feasts or what we eat (etc.) the assumption is that we ARE doing those things (i.e. still keeping Sabbath, gathering for the new month, keeping other feasts, etc.) and he is simply saying "Don't let anyone judge you for these things." Why? Because they are the proper things to be doing. :)

Upvote 0

rkl1963

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Respectfully RK, I don't agree with this. While you are correct about the additions, I think once you get away from Judea there were already people trying to not look so Jewish in practice. So when he says that nobody should judge us when it comes to new moon celebrations, other feasts or what we eat (etc.) the assumption is that we ARE doing those things (i.e. still keeping Sabbath, gathering for the new month, keeping other feasts, etc.) and he is simply saying "Don't let anyone judge you for these things." Why? Because they are the proper things to be doing.

Almost everywhere surrounding Judea was certain men of the jews who were trying to convert christians to 2nd temple judaism . Many letters of Paul address this issue. But yes the judgment on this matter of proper ways was by the body of Christ no some outside group

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Almost everywhere surrounding Judea was certain men of the jews who were trying to convert christians to 2nd temple judaism . Many letters of Paul address this issue. But yes the judgment on this matter of proper ways was by the body of Christ no some outside group

Yes and no... this isn't an easy quick topic but it is a worthy one as we have time. In (very)short, there were two sects of Pharisees in that day... the slogan for one was "letter of the law" and the slogan for the other was "spirit of the law." Paul attended Beit Hillel, which was teaching the spirit of the law and why it wasn't wrong for him, near his death, to say, "I am a Pharisee." The school that held the letter of the letter was rebuked or corrected in EVERY instance over the other school, save for once. So the Jews we see in Acts 15:1-2 belonged to or adhered to the teachings of, Beit Shamai. The Council's letter reversed the accepted halacha of the day which was Shamai's ruling from 50 years prior, and it took Hillel's position on proselytes "word for word." So it isn't as clean and cut and saying, "certain Jews were trying to convert them to second temple Judaism," but your point is on line. Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rkl1963

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So it isn't as clean and cut and saying, "certain Jews were trying to convert them to second temple Judaism," but your point is on line. Blessings.

Yes there was differences , maybe it was some trying to convert, maybe it was some questioning there validity just as today many denoms question other denoms because their tradition differs but for sure it was about how they ate, drank, observed holy days and new moon and probably what they considered work on the Sabbath or even when they held the feast of the Sabbath . It was not pagans judging them on things they knew not of. The Colossians were subject to the same false brethren as the Galatians since their geographical locations were very close

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes there was differences , maybe it was some trying to convert, maybe it was some questioning there validity just as today many denoms question other denoms because their tradition differs but for sure it was about how they ate, drank, observed holy days and new moon and probably what they considered work on the Sabbath or even when they held the feast of the Sabbath . It was not pagans judging them on things they knew not of. The Colossians were subject to the same false brethren as the Galatians since their geographical locations were very close

I would agree, in that book it was probably other Jews putting pressure on believing Jews who still continued doing the Sabbath and other things like it. The Galatians verses, which should be another thread, was speaking to former pagans before the weak and beggarly elements they were returning to was not shabbat but rather things like Saturnalia.

Upvote 0

rkl1963

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would agree, in that book it was probably other Jews putting pressure on believing Jews who still continued doing the Sabbath and other things like it. The Galatians verses, which should be another thread, was speaking to former pagans before the weak and beggarly elements they were returning to was not shabbat but rather things like Saturnalia.

I don't think a pagan had rituals of circumcision, nor laws they thought they could be righteous by. Righteousness was never by the works of the Law ,righteousness came from following the prescription of Grace set forth in the Priesthood Covenant by confessing sin and offering a sacrifice with a few more ceremonial acts after you sinned. The New Priesthood Covenant requires confessing sin, accepting the Torah as it applies to you, cleansing through immersion in water and having faith in the system and its High Priest. The oral law was week and beggerly because people tried to use it to be righteous forsaking the Covenant of Grace out of a false sense of righteousness. But the old priesthood was to blame because they did not teach the truth but the new priesthood is heaven sent in dwelling within you with all the truth

Upvote 0

ccmission

Aug 20, 2011
Chandigarh NORTH INDIA
✟16,061.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching Heb.10;25
Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, Acts. 2:46

1 Corinthians 14:23
Therefore if the whole church assembles together and all speak in tongues, and ungifted men or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad?
Acts 2:1
When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place.

Acts 20:7: "Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight."
I Corinthians 16:2: "On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper that there be no collections when I come."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alawishis

Sep 28, 2010
✟9,437.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let's say someone, in order to make ends meet financially, had to work on Saturday and Sunday mornings. However they were still able to listen to the services via podcast or attend a midweek evening service in place of it. Would God consider that a deviation from His plan for the Church and therefore a sin?

Obviously I'm going to say, Nope. Sunday has nothing to do with being a good Christian or a Christian at all for that matter.

However the greater point you are making is, is church attendance a requirement to the Christian walk. Well if you go to scripture Jesus said yes. Philippians 2:1, Corinthians 12:28, 1 Corinthians 11:18, 1 John 1:7, Ephesians 4:12, Ephesians 4:11-12, Acts 2:42, Hebrews 10:25 , Acts 20:28 , 1 John 1:3 , Matthew 18:20 , Acts 2:42-47 and there is a lot more even.

Taking that into consideration that it was always God's intention for us to be social beings and that from the ancient days of the old testament he set man up for corporate worship. As a group we are strong. If you chose to go it alone you are like a solitary sheep in the wilderness. Pretty easy pickins for the predators and even easier to get lost in the woods.

There are times when corporate worship is not possible, but they are rare and usually only temporary. If you have a job that takes you away from God, consider a career change. If you have a lifestyle that removes you from your creator you need to change. Decide what's most important to you.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

First of all, you checked 'Christian' which means you are supposed to love even your enemy, which I am not. I am a brother in Christ who asked a simple question and we don't need sophomoric smart aleck replies. Second.... I asked for a verse and you sent me to somebody else's opinions which means you don't have a verse, you are acting like a parrot repeating what others say. So... when YOU find a verse, please post it and I will be happy to make fun and edifying adult Christian discussion at that time. I won't hold my breath because the bible never says, "everyday is the Sabbath." But, I imagine you'll try hard to find it. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think a pagan had rituals of circumcision, nor laws they thought they could be righteous by. Righteousness was never by the works of the Law ,righteousness came from following the prescription of Grace set forth in the Priesthood Covenant by confessing sin and offering a sacrifice with a few more ceremonial acts after you sinned. The New Priesthood Covenant requires confessing sin, accepting the Torah as it applies to you, cleansing through immersion in water and having faith in the system and its High Priest. The oral law was week and beggerly because people tried to use it to be righteous forsaking the Covenant of Grace out of a false sense of righteousness. But the old priesthood was to blame because they did not teach the truth but the new priesthood is heaven sent in dwelling within you with all the truth

Would you be interested in an interesting word study? Go look up the word righteousness in Hebrew, Greek and English. And when in English, look at the modern online Webster's but also the 1828 which defined words as understood in the English bibles of that time. I think you will find some consistency over time and will be surprised what the word means.

As for "new priesthood covenant" I know what you are trying to say but you are creating a phrase not found in Scripture. AND... the word for new (as in "new covenant") is kainos in Greek which means "new in regards to freshness, where nehos means new in regards to AGE." When we look in Hebrew, like Jer. 31:31, we see chadasha for the word new, and it is the Hebrew word for renew in adjective form. It is the same word we would find for "new moon" which is NOT new each month, it is the SAME moon renewing a cycle.

Blessings.
Ken

Upvote 0

rkl1963

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As for "new priesthood covenant" I know what you are trying to say but you are creating a phrase not found in Scripture. AND... the word for new (as in "new covenant") is kainos in Greek which means "new in regards to freshness, where nehos means new in regards to AGE." When we look in Hebrew, like Jer. 31:31, we see chadasha for the word new, and it is the Hebrew word for renew in adjective form. It is the same word we would find for "new moon" which is NOT new each month, it is the SAME moon renewing a cycle.

My understanding of new priesthood covenant comes from Hebrews.It goes into to detail on the change from Old Priesthood to New. But maybe defining it as a new atonement covenant would be more appropriate which is the reason the priesthood was setup. Some people claim the covenant was the words that were agreed to but according to Jeremiah these words will be written within the hearts of those who accept the new covenant of grace . Yes renewed in a sense of the basic purpose is still the same

Upvote 0