• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is suicide really a sin?

baptistgirl21

Nov 16, 2013
✟25,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you struggle with suicidal thoughts or self destructive behaviors, please read with caution. Also, stay strong. And remember, you are loved. <3

My whole life I have always thought it was a sin to commit suicide. That is until I started experiencing the thoughts myself. You see, when I am suicidal, I'm not thinking straight. I don't care if I go to hell and I don't care how my actions will affect others (my family). I firmly believe that hell couldn't be any worse than this because I'm already suffering. Why should hell be any different? But when I am not suicidal I don't believe any of this. I know it will affect my family and I care deeply and I know that hell is a terrible terrible place. A pastor of my church told me if someone kills their self and they weren't in their right mind (lets say they had a severe mental disability or something like that) then they will go to heaven. Because they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. In a way when I am suicidal I am just like that. I don't think it is wrong, I don't think it will affect anyone, and my view of hell is severely distorted. So that is way I'm starting to think it's not a sin. Because no one in their right mind wants to commit suicide. Only someone who is temporarily unstable will do that. How can God send someone who is unstable to hell? I know you have to be a Christian to get into heaven. But if you are a Christian who is unstable (having suicidal thoughts)and commit suicide, I believe you can get into heaven. Am I right on this? Or am I leading others to hell by my twisted belief?
EDIT: Ok maybe I do think it is a sin. That's one of the reasons why I haven't done it yet.

Last edited:

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If you struggle with suicidal thoughts or self destructive behaviors, please read with caution. Also, stay strong. And remember, you are loved. <3

My whole life I have always thought it was a sin to commit suicide. That is until I started experiencing the thoughts myself. You see, when I am suicidal, I'm not thinking straight. I don't care if I go to hell and I don't care how my actions will affect others (my family). I firmly believe that hell couldn't be any worse than this because I'm already suffering. Why should hell be any different? But when I am not suicidal I don't believe any of this. I know it will affect my family and I care deeply and I know that hell is a terrible terrible place. A pastor of my church told me if someone kills their self and they weren't in their right mind (lets say they had a severe mental disability or something like that) then they will go to heaven. Because they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. In a way when I am suicidal I am just like that. I don't think it is wrong, I don't think it will affect anyone, and my view of hell is severely distorted. So that is way I'm starting to think it's not a sin. Because no one in their right mind wants to commit suicide. Only someone who is temporarily unstable will do that. How can God send someone who is unstable to hell? I know you have to be a Christian to get into heaven. But if you are a Christian who is unstable (having suicidal thoughts)and commit suicide, I believe you can get into heaven. Am I right on this? Or am I leading others to hell by my twisted belief?
EDIT: Ok maybe I do think it is a sin. That's one of the reasons why I haven't done it yet.
Well suicide of course results in the death of a human being and that is a bad thing.

Sometimes it might be the honorable thing to do. As when an officer who knows state secrets is about to be taken captive by the enemy, he commits suicide to prevent the enemy from torturing the information out of him.

But when a person commits suicide due to severe depression, not being in full command of their faculties, surely God doesn't judge them as he would those of us in our right minds.

But it isn't a good thing to see happen in such a case. Better to get treatment, or endure.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't care if I go to hell

I don't care how my actions will affect others (my family).
But you do care about yourself and your family. But how stable is your self-love and love for your family? If your love for your family can give way to suicidal stuff, this can mean your love is not strong the way it can be in Jesus, and Jesus says >

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (in Matthew 5:46)

If we are mainly concerned about our own selves and our own families, we need to get into how God's love makes us all-loving. And as we grow stronger in God's love, we become more and more deeply sound and stable, so we can not switch to not caring.

So, I would say that if I can get into suicidal stuff, I need to get stronger and more real in God's love which makes us sound in our minds and hearts > "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." (see Philippians 4:6-7)

Yes, I believe you can not lose your salvation, if you have trusted in Jesus (Ephesians 1:12). But, if you have become a child of God, we all are also guaranteed God's correction > Hebrews 12:8, see verses 4-11. And Hebrews 12:4-11 says we need to actively seek our Heavenly Father for His correction . . . of His love's perfection > 1 John 4:17 < this is included in our Biblical assurance of salvation.

So, yes it is good to care about others and not only about our own selves getting to Heaven or not. And be more and more about first desiring to please our Father.

Upvote 0

nutsofacto

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2018
Las Cruces, New Mexico
✟25,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If, while you are living, you long for death
What makes you think, that while dead
You won't long for life?

Seek life and find it eternally, seek death and find it eternally. I think that's what it boils down to. Some who go this way may be 'snatched from death' I suppose. But some may not. So learn to seek Life in Christ.

Upvote 0