✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I know that he is :p

However, it is the title of an article that I saw in the Facebook feeds (okay it's a couple years old) and thought that with all the negativity going on both here and in the real world it would be good for all of us to read something nice and edifying for a change ;)
Not too long a read. Fifteen minutes tops.

Enjoy: http://orthodoxbridge.com/is-st-patrick-an-orthodox-saint/

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I know that he is :p

However, it is the title of an article that I saw in the Facebook feeds (okay it's a couple years old) and thought that with all the negativity going on both here and in the real world it would be good for all of us to read something nice and edifying for a change ;)
Not too long a read. Fifteen minutes tops.

Enjoy: http://orthodoxbridge.com/is-st-patrick-an-orthodox-saint/
There was actually another thread elsewhere on the issue that dealt in detail with the issue you were noting...as well as addressing the reality of Western saints...AND FOR reference, one can go here to Altus Prosator, Columba & Celtic Orthodoxy: What's Good or Bad within it?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're lucky. My (now former I guess) priest would roll his eyes when we asked him to celebrate or even mention Blessed St. Patrick! If it isn't super duper Eastern, forget it with him....

I enjoyed the article. But my parish is GOA, and Father talked about St. Patrick today, and we are celebrating a liturgy Mar. 17.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"forget it with him...."

I think you need to forget him (your former priest) and move on. As difficult as that would be. I sympathise with you, I've been burned by clergy before, but I had to move on for myself and my own sanity.

Have you thought about moving? I'm sure you can get a teaching job pretty easily in some other county in California where there are many more Orthodox parishes around.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're lucky. My (now former I guess) priest would roll his eyes when we asked him to celebrate or even mention Blessed St. Patrick! If it isn't super duper Eastern, forget it with him....

that's sad. St Patrick is an Orthodox theological juggernaut. if it's okay to celebrate the Presanctified Liturgy of St Gregory the Great, Pope of Rome (gasp!) I imagine it's good to celebrate God's apostle to Ireland.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father did lead an Akathist to St. Patrick once back home, for an OCF event. We commemorated him last night in Vespers here at St. Vlad's, and some of us got together on Sunday as a fellowship/dinner to honor him. I love the stichera hymn which refers to the dancing hills of Ireland being graced with God's chosen apostle, Patrick.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
St Patrick is an Orthodox theological juggernaut. if it's okay to celebrate the Presanctified Liturgy of St Gregory the Great, Pope of Rome (gasp!) I imagine it's good to celebrate God's apostle to Ireland.
Good way of placing it - as St. Patrick is truly an inspiration:) He was someone I had considered to be my patron saint, even though I (as far as I know) can only have one really (the other being St. Moses the Black)

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Gxg (G²);67187191 said:
Good way of placing it - as St. Patrick is truly an inspiration:) He was someone I had considered to be my patron saint, even though I (as far as I know) can only have one really (the other being St. Moses the Black)

Our younger three children have "two" Saints each; not exactly traditional ^_^

St. Elisabet of Constantinople, St. Paraskeui of Rome
St. Athanasios of Alexandria, St. Maximos the Great
St. Phoebe of Cenchreae, St. Anna the Prophetess

Our older children have one each:
St. Alexandros of Jerusalem
St. Onouphrios the Great
St. Milos/Melesios of Persia

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
nevermind
photo.php

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums