Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Everything God does is with purpose (Eph. 1:11). Tongues are no different; they were a sign to unbelieving Israel (1 Cor. 1:22; 14:22; see Isa. 28:11-12). My friend, lest we forget, Israel was chosen to herald God’s goodness to the world and Jesus was the promised Messiah of a glorious coming kingdom. However, knowing they would reject Him, the Lord Jesus instituted a parenthetical group known as the church (Matt. 16:18) to carry on His message up until she is removed (John 14:2-3; 1 Thess. 4:13-17).

Two facts stand out in the five major passages dealing with tongues (Acts 2; 19:6; 1 Cor. 12, 14; and Mark 16:17): They were always “known languages of the world”, and unbelieving Jews were in view as a sign: Acts 2 tongues are given to validate Peter’s message–Jesus is the Messiah. Acts 10 confirms Gentile salvation which Jews would otherwise reject. Acts 19 validates the conversion of some of John’s disciples. In 1 Corinthians 12-14, they signify Messianic fulfillment to unbelieving Jews attending services at Corinth. Please listen my friend. Nowhere does the Bible state that speaking in tongues is a test of salvation or sanctification as maintained by some groups. While the gospel of John was written specifically to show people how to be saved (Jn. 20:30-31) not one mention of tongues. And while God surely wants all Christians to be spiritually mature, 1 Cor. 12:29-30 clearly implies that not all will speak in tongues. To spin the purpose of tongues in another direction is disingenuous, or worse devious.

The Corinthian Chaos
It’s a bit ironic. Much of what we see passing for spirituality in the church today has been adopted from the antics of the most carnal church in the New Testament: the Corinthians. Paul the converted Rabbi, had become an apostle, missionary, evangelist-church planter preaching and teaching multitudes of Gentiles in multicultural settings (Rom. 11:13).
On his Second Missionary Journey all his skills and gifts were tested when he landed in Corinth for a year and one half. It was the capital of the Greek province of Achaia, located on a narrow isthmus 50 miles west of Athens, and served as the major sea trade route between Asia and Italy. By the time Paul penned his first letter to the church, Corinth was a cosmopolitan melting pot for some 400,000 diverse residents. The Jews had captured the banking industry from the heathen priests which of course brought about a constant influx of Jews into the city where tongues, the sign to unbelieving Jews, were necessary and used extensively to prove God was moving in the Gentile community.

Occult Practices
The confusion about tongues in Corinth is easy to understand when you analyze their indigenous make-up. Besides Greeks and Jews, people of all nationalities, languages and dialects lived there or passed through. As a result, Corinth was religiously pluralistic and steeped in idolatry (1 Cor. 12:2) which ultimately morphed into an occult mecca where soothsayers, diviners, and spiritists filled the streets along with 1000 temple prostitutes who facilitated wild orgies at the altar of the sex goddess Aphrodite.

Ecstatic Utterances
Unintelligible prayer “tongues” was common in the Corinthian community but it is not orthodox or Christian. It is a desperately faulty ruse built upon one verse-1 Cor. 14:14- by practitioners that stubbornly ignore its lack of Scriptural support and occult link. Aside from heretics like Montanus, it was not seen in church until the 1900’s (order New Age Charismatic Corruption).

When the gift of speaking in previously unlearned languages surfaced in Corinth, the reference point for those who heard it was tied to idolatry in two ways: To those who were natives of the area, it sounded like the same old gibberish they heard from occult worshipers at the altar of Aphrodite’s temple. But to Gentile visitors who were ignorant or unsaved it appeared as the ranting of rogue madmen (1 Cor. 14:23). So, in order to maintain authenticity and edification God instituted the gift of interpretation of tongues (1 Cor 12:10, 30; 14:5, 13, 26-28). Let me illustrate.

Let’s suppose you speak French and attend a multi-cultural Jewish-Gentile fellowship. One morning a gentleman across the aisle begins to preach in German which to you sounds like “gibberish.” However, if someone in the congregation can translate that German into French, you will be edified (1 Cor. 14:5, 13)

Conclusion
The gift of tongues is the miraculous ability to preach the gospel in a specific language and dialect previously unknown by the speaker (Acts 2:11). Corinth was the only church that had a problem with it. As you can see, their confusion stemmed from their multicultural worship and long history of occult experiences. Those today claiming that ecstatic utterances are the same tongues we find in the Bible are doing so at the expense of sound exegesis and a long history of orthodox truth. What passes for tongues, interpretation of tongues and the word of knowledge today is linked to soothsaying and divining in Israel (Deut. 18:14). When tongues are studied in context utilizing the recognized laws of hermeneutics and spiritual wisdom, we believe the serious student of Scripture will quickly see how real Biblical tongues explains itself.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.
Matthew 9:35
I was trying to find a way to bring this down to earth and been studying a different way to look at gifts and healing Laying on of hands tongues etc. this is what I’ve found .
This is what I’ve found . The word is “every” every in the Webster’s dictionary goes like this-
Definition of every
1a : being each individual or part of a group without exception
b : being each in a series or succession
  • every few days

• every once in a while
2obsolete : being all taken severally
3: being each within a range of possibilities
  • was given every chance
4: complete, entire
  • we have everyconfidence in her
without exception-complete entirely. Without fail.
(If) the gifts are true then it will never fail.
Anyone that says they have those gifts then it will tell on itself. Walk through a hospital and bring everyone out of it.
Then and only then would I believe it.
Challenge!!!

That has been done through John G. Lake, but if he were still alive and did it again, I'm sure you would say, the devil did it.

For those who believe, no proof is necessary; for those who do not believe, no proof is possible.

• Winner
Reactions: Postvieww
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Scripture also says .........

1 Thessalonians 5:21
"Test all things; hold fast what is good."
That's why I hold fast to my gift of tongues.

Reactions: Postvieww
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 13:8.............
"Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away.

I will go you one better. There is not ONE SINGLE Bible Scripture that says that there is to a succession of the Apostles and their gifts.
So all the Church Fathers who spoke in and/or fully supported tongues in the Church are false teachers?

What you are doing is quoting parrot fashion the teaching of John MacArthur from his book "Charismatic Chaos".

Tongues were plainly evident in all at the starting points of our major denominations. You will have to state that most of the principal reformers and saints of God through history were in error because they reported their observances of tongues as being truly from the Holy Spirit, and that was hundreds of years in some cases after the formation of the Biblical canon.

Upvote 0

Benaiahian Monk

Benaiah “ the Lord builds” 2 Samuel 23:20
Dec 14, 2017
Tappahannock
✟17,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Although I do not agree with everything mentioned I can still without hesitation or insult sit at the table of friendship with those of you that can carry on a prayerful conversation and information exchange. God Bless!

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nowhere does the Bible state that speaking in tongues is a test of salvation or sanctification as maintained by some groups.
I reject this teaching and do not recall anyone on this thread promoting it.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cor. 12:29-30 clearly implies that not all will speak in tongues. To spin the purpose of tongues in another direction is disingenuous, or worse devious.

I Corinthians 12: 29-30 refers to the gift of tongues, which requires interpretation in the church setting. The passage makes it clear not all believers operate in this gift. This has nothing to do with the tongues of 1 Corinthians 14:2-4. Paul stated he wished all would speak in tongues verse 5, but it is obvious all do not, it is available but not required. It is not a badge of spirituality.

Upvote 0

Antig

Dec 19, 2017
Dublin
✟8,390.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything God does is with purpose (Eph. 1:11). Tongues are no different; they were a sign to unbelieving Israel (1 Cor. 1:22; 14:22; see Isa. 28:11-12). My friend, lest we forget, Israel was chosen to herald God’s goodness to the world and Jesus was the promised Messiah of a glorious coming kingdom. However, knowing they would reject Him, the Lord Jesus instituted a parenthetical group known as the church (Matt. 16:18) to carry on His message up until she is removed (John 14:2-3; 1 Thess. 4:13-17).

Two facts stand out in the five major passages dealing with tongues (Acts 2; 19:6; 1 Cor. 12, 14; and Mark 16:17): They were always “known languages of the world”, and unbelieving Jews were in view as a sign: Acts 2 tongues are given to validate Peter’s message–Jesus is the Messiah. Acts 10 confirms Gentile salvation which Jews would otherwise reject. Acts 19 validates the conversion of some of John’s disciples. In 1 Corinthians 12-14, they signify Messianic fulfillment to unbelieving Jews attending services at Corinth. Please listen my friend. Nowhere does the Bible state that speaking in tongues is a test of salvation or sanctification as maintained by some groups. While the gospel of John was written specifically to show people how to be saved (Jn. 20:30-31) not one mention of tongues. And while God surely wants all Christians to be spiritually mature, 1 Cor. 12:29-30 clearly implies that not all will speak in tongues. To spin the purpose of tongues in another direction is disingenuous, or worse devious.

The Corinthian Chaos
It’s a bit ironic. Much of what we see passing for spirituality in the church today has been adopted from the antics of the most carnal church in the New Testament: the Corinthians. Paul the converted Rabbi, had become an apostle, missionary, evangelist-church planter preaching and teaching multitudes of Gentiles in multicultural settings (Rom. 11:13).
On his Second Missionary Journey all his skills and gifts were tested when he landed in Corinth for a year and one half. It was the capital of the Greek province of Achaia, located on a narrow isthmus 50 miles west of Athens, and served as the major sea trade route between Asia and Italy. By the time Paul penned his first letter to the church, Corinth was a cosmopolitan melting pot for some 400,000 diverse residents. The Jews had captured the banking industry from the heathen priests which of course brought about a constant influx of Jews into the city where tongues, the sign to unbelieving Jews, were necessary and used extensively to prove God was moving in the Gentile community.

Occult Practices
The confusion about tongues in Corinth is easy to understand when you analyze their indigenous make-up. Besides Greeks and Jews, people of all nationalities, languages and dialects lived there or passed through. As a result, Corinth was religiously pluralistic and steeped in idolatry (1 Cor. 12:2) which ultimately morphed into an occult mecca where soothsayers, diviners, and spiritists filled the streets along with 1000 temple prostitutes who facilitated wild orgies at the altar of the sex goddess Aphrodite.

Ecstatic Utterances
Unintelligible prayer “tongues” was common in the Corinthian community but it is not orthodox or Christian. It is a desperately faulty ruse built upon one verse-1 Cor. 14:14- by practitioners that stubbornly ignore its lack of Scriptural support and occult link. Aside from heretics like Montanus, it was not seen in church until the 1900’s (order New Age Charismatic Corruption).

When the gift of speaking in previously unlearned languages surfaced in Corinth, the reference point for those who heard it was tied to idolatry in two ways: To those who were natives of the area, it sounded like the same old gibberish they heard from occult worshipers at the altar of Aphrodite’s temple. But to Gentile visitors who were ignorant or unsaved it appeared as the ranting of rogue madmen (1 Cor. 14:23). So, in order to maintain authenticity and edification God instituted the gift of interpretation of tongues (1 Cor 12:10, 30; 14:5, 13, 26-28). Let me illustrate.

Let’s suppose you speak French and attend a multi-cultural Jewish-Gentile fellowship. One morning a gentleman across the aisle begins to preach in German which to you sounds like “gibberish.” However, if someone in the congregation can translate that German into French, you will be edified (1 Cor. 14:5, 13)

Conclusion
The gift of tongues is the miraculous ability to preach the gospel in a specific language and dialect previously unknown by the speaker (Acts 2:11). Corinth was the only church that had a problem with it. As you can see, their confusion stemmed from their multicultural worship and long history of occult experiences. Those today claiming that ecstatic utterances are the same tongues we find in the Bible are doing so at the expense of sound exegesis and a long history of orthodox truth. What passes for tongues, interpretation of tongues and the word of knowledge today is linked to soothsaying and divining in Israel (Deut. 18:14). When tongues are studied in context utilizing the recognized laws of hermeneutics and spiritual wisdom, we believe the serious student of Scripture will quickly see how real Biblical tongues explains itself.

Nice post

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So all the Church Fathers who spoke in and/or fully supported tongues in the Church are false teachers?

What you are doing is quoting parrot fashion the teaching of John MacArthur from his book "Charismatic Chaos".

Tongues were plainly evident in all at the starting points of our major denominations. You will have to state that most of the principal reformers and saints of God through history were in error because they reported their observances of tongues as being truly from the Holy Spirit, and that was hundreds of years in some cases after the formation of the Biblical canon.

There is NO record of early Church fathers speaking in tongues. It is clear that tongues were in operation duriong the life time of the apostles but it is also just as clear that the gift is nowhere suggested, hinted at or alluded to or found after them.

The most outstanding case of this is Clement of Rome and his epistle to the church at Corinth. If there was any early church where tongues were practiced, it was here. This was evidently one of the major problems that Paul had to contend with in his letter to them; yet Clement of Rome never mentions the gift, even when speaking of their spiritual heritage. The same problem of disobedience to authority was present, but that of tongues had evidently been solved by their ceasing.

Ignatius wrote to the church of Ephesus where the first Christians spoke in tongues, but he, too, has nothing to say regarding the gift.

Clement wrote from Rome to Corinth; Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, wrote to those at Philippi; Ignatius of Antioch wrote to the churches of Ephesus, Magnesia, Tralles, Rome, Smyrna, Philadelphia; the epistle of Barnabus was probably written from Alexandria; The Shepherd of Hermas may have been written from Rome; Papias was from Hierapolis in Phrygia; the Didache may have been written from Egypt or possibly from Syria or Palestine; and the Epistle of Diognetus was probably written from Alexandria. This covers practically every significant area of the Roman Empire, and certainly if the gift of tongues were widespread and in abundance, it would surely have been alluded to or mentioned in some way.

Please consider the outstanding preacher Chrysostom.
After studying and ministering around the city of Antioch he became the patriarch of Constantinople. As the religious leader in the great city of Constantinople, he surely was in contact with Christians and churches from all over the empire. As he approaches his message on spiritual gifts in I Corinthians, he confesses that the “whole place is very obscure,” and goes on to add: “but the obscurity is produced by our ignorance of the facts referred to and by their cessation, being such as then used to occur, but now no longer take place”. Here is the clear statement by a well-versed exegete and religious leader of the fourth century stating that tongues are no longer practiced in his day. Far from being the normal occurrence in Christian circles, the gift of tongues is rather unknown! The stature and position of Chrysostom make his testimony extremely important. Evidently, at least by this time, the gift of tongues had died out.
http://www.faithfulpreaching.com/The_Gift_of_Tongues_in_the_Post_Apostolic_Church.pdf

Now, as for John Macarthur, Oscar, I have had my understanding on tongues long before Macarthur made his teaching available. I was actually studying and learning about the Pentecostal faith in the early 70's as I was able to leave it at that time. I Do not need anyone to tell me what the Bible literally says.

I have no problem stating that those who practiced and taught tongues over the years were in error because that is exactly what the Scriptures LITERALLY DO SAY.
Therefore it is not me stating that but the Bible itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I reject this teaching and do not recall anyone on this thread promoting it.

Nonetheless it is still very often said. I am positive that if it was said here in print it would be reported and removed in the same day so your comment is not applicable.

I have personally heard it asked many times ........
"Are you born again with the evidence of speaking in tongues"???

When I was a teenager and went on visitation with my parents, that is exactly the words we were taught to say.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh what a hoot!!

Pasting your verse Major1, but moving your emphasis along to the next phrase which you conveniently ignore.

"And those same Scriptures say in 1 Corth. 13:8..........
"Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away."

So, Major1, has your knowledge vanished away?

Seems to me Major1, that when you foolishly dumped tongues, you foolishly dumped your knowledge also! Haha

Mr. Drake, the focus of the conversation was on TONGUES and not on "Knowledge".

I saw to relevance on speaking to a subject which was not in view. My 1st thought is that you only brought this up in an attempt to embarrass me in some way as in the past you have made it a point to disagree with me on several Bible subjects.

Regardless of that YOU now however made it something to be discussed.

I believe that if you will just take the time to do a little study outside of the parameters of the Charismatic Pentecostal faith you will find the words....
whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away, literally means the word of knowledge, peculiarly given by the spirit to some persons only; or that peculiar gift of knowledge of divine things, by which some believe they and only they are qualified to be instructors of others WILL CEASE!.

YOU are welcome to disagree with me but I did not write those words my friend. They were written by Paul as he was directed by God to write. I simply believe what he wrote and you do not. It is just that simple.

The present means both of communicating, and of obtaining and increasing knowledge by the preaching and hearing of the word, will be no more used: and besides, imperfect knowledge of every sort will disappear, it will become perfect; that knowledge which is in part will be done away, when perfect knowledge takes place and PERFECT knowledge came to us in the completed Word of God that we call the Bible.
(John Gill's Exposition of the Bible).

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I’ll go you one better there is not one scripture that says the gifts are for the Apostles only.

Really????

2 Corth. 12:12 says...............
"The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with all perseverance, by signs and wonders and miracles."

So how does this apply to Hebrews 2:3-4 when it says........
"How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? After it was at the first spoken through the Lord, it was confirmed to us by those who heard, God also bearing witness with them, both by signs and wonders and by various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit according to His own will."

Acts 2:43 .......
"Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles."

It seems that the Bible has proven your comment to be in error.

Who are these people? Who heard the Lord Jesus stated in Acts 2:21-22?
Who performed miracles, signs, wonders, and possessed the gifts of the Holy Spirit as seen in Romans 15:18-19.
Who qualified for both? The answer is the apostles as ONLY they qualify.

An apostle was someone who had accompanied the Lord, seen him after his resurrection, and been personally commissioned by him. As a special witness of the resurrection he was given power to heal. He was also a person who would be shown 'all truth' by the Holy Spirit (John 14.26 and 16.13), and would either write or endorse inspired Scripture.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it those who discount the gifts usually take this irrational and unscriptural approach?

1. The gifts are not toys passed out to believers to do as they will they are used as God wills. 1 Corinthians 12:11

2. We are not told Paul healed every one he came in contact with.

3 We are not told Peter healed everyone he came in contact with.

4. If Peter and Paul could not meet your expectation why should we base our doctrine on this unscriptural test?

5. Could it be Jesus Himself did not even meet your unscriptural challenge?

Matthew 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Mark 6:5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.

A few is not "every" as you would require in your challenge.

6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

You will not believe unless you see it on your own terms. Why did Matthew tell us Jesus did not many mighty works? “Because of their unbelief” I suspect you may never witness very many “might works” because of your unscriptural challenge. My prayer is God will help you see how these gifts work from a scriptural basis not a human reasoning basis you put forth in your challenge.

The fact is the gifts of the Spirit do not work as you have outlined.

Mark 16:14........
"Later Jesus appeared to the Eleven as they were eating; he rebuked them for their lack of faith and their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen him after he had risen."

The great commission was given to the ELEVEN, not to you and me.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it those who discount the gifts usually take this irrational and unscriptural approach?

1. The gifts are not toys passed out to believers to do as they will they are used as God wills. 1 Corinthians 12:11

2. We are not told Paul healed every one he came in contact with.

3 We are not told Peter healed everyone he came in contact with.

4. If Peter and Paul could not meet your expectation why should we base our doctrine on this unscriptural test?

5. Could it be Jesus Himself did not even meet your unscriptural challenge?

Matthew 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

Mark 6:5 And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.

A few is not "every" as you would require in your challenge.

6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

You will not believe unless you see it on your own terms. Why did Matthew tell us Jesus did not many mighty works? “Because of their unbelief” I suspect you may never witness very many “might works” because of your unscriptural challenge. My prayer is God will help you see how these gifts work from a scriptural basis not a human reasoning basis you put forth in your challenge.

The fact is the gifts of the Spirit do not work as you have outlined.

My dear friend.......You are ignoring the obvious.

The difference between the Apostles and Benny Hinn, Oral Roberts, W.V. Grant and so on is that the Apostles did not go around advertising where they would be on any given day and that they would be having a "Healing Ceremony".

Jesus and the apostles healed “every kind of disease and every kind of sickness among the people” (Mt. 4:23; c.f. 8:16; 10:1).

Modern faith healers will only heal selective diseases—such as back pain or arthritis.

Jesus and the apostles brought people back from the dead (Mt. 9:18; 23-25; 10:8; Jn. 11).

Modern faith healers have never attempted something like this. This is an inconsistency in their position. If biblical miracles should be normative for today, why don’t they ever bring people back from the dead?

The miracles in Scripture were attested to even by non-believers. For instance, even Pharaoh’s magicians attributed Moses’ miracles to “the finger of God” (Ex. 8:19). Moreover, Jesus’ enemies didn’t deny his miracles; instead, they attributed his miraculous power to Satan (Mt. 11:24).

By contrast, secular investigators have repeatedly debunked the miracles of faith healers. These are demonstrably false.

That being said.......the Challenge issued by our brother stands......
EMPTY THE HOSPITALS OF ALL THE SICK!!!!

Reactions: Antig
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I Corinthians 12: 29-30 refers to the gift of tongues, which requires interpretation in the church setting. The passage makes it clear not all believers operate in this gift. This has nothing to do with the tongues of 1 Corinthians 14:2-4. Paul stated he wished all would speak in tongues verse 5, but it is obvious all do not, it is available but not required. It is not a badge of spirituality.

I hate to be the one to tell you this my friend, but that is exactly what the whole Pentecostal denominations believes and teaches. I suggest that you do some study on this subject.

Charsmatic Pentacostal Web site....The "SALVATION: Heaven on Earth" web site says: "Anyone who is saved is ready to receive [the Holy Spirit]...[Later] when you are Baptised in the Holy Spirit, you too will speak in tongues."
This gift of "tongues" is considered proof they have been baptized in the Holy Spirit. And since only saved believers can be so baptized, speaking in tongues is proof that their religious conversion is a valid one, and that the Holy Spirit is dwelling within them.

("Holy Spirit Baptised with Bible Evidence," at: http://bornagain.port5.com/tongues.htm)

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Sociologists conclude that Pentecostals speak in tongues during periods of religious ecstasy because it is expected of them. However, the individuals might well be unaware of this cause.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really????

Yes really, your interpretation of 2 Corinthians 12:12 is off just a bit, Paul wrote that as well as 1 Corinthians 12. He did not forget he wrote the gifts were for every man then contradict himself by your interpretation that only Apostles were used in the gifts.

1 Corinthians 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

Paul is not writing to Apostles only here.

2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

This says every man not every Apostle.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Every man not every Apostle . “AS HE WILL”

Acts 2:43 .......
"Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles."

Yes it was the Apostles in that passage , nowhere does it state gifts were only for Apostles. This was at the beginning of the church.

OOPS we have Stephen who was not an Apostle.

Acts 6:8 And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.

Oh and we have Phillip.

Acts 8:6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.

It seems that the Bible has proven your comment to be in error.

Who are these people? Who heard the Lord Jesus stated in Acts 2:21-22?
Who performed miracles, signs, wonders, and possessed the gifts of the Holy Spirit as seen in Romans 15:18-19.
Who qualified for both? The answer is the apostles as ONLY they qualify.

Error, According to Paul in Ephesians 4:11-13 the office of apostle is still in effect.

Upvote 0

Benaiahian Monk

Benaiah “ the Lord builds” 2 Samuel 23:20
Dec 14, 2017
Tappahannock
✟17,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If we can break away for just a moment and compare this centralized theme on which a Christian believes and talk about salvation.
I will state my foundational beliefs and if you disagree with anything you tell me from there.
Salvation
1- Christ was born of a virgin
2- Virgin life ( lived his entire life without sin).
3- Crucifiction of the lamb without spot or Blimish.
4- Death Burial and resurrection of Christ after three days in the belly of the earth.
5- Ressurection in a Body you could touch.
6 -Assention to Gods right hand where he reins on high.
Is there anything you disagree with?
And it says “he may Know” ye are the sons of God without a shadow of a doubt.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟108,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we can break away for just a moment and compare this centralized theme on which a Christian believes and talk about salvation.
I will state my foundational beliefs and if you disagree with anything you tell me from there.
Salvation
1- Christ was born of a virgin
2- Virgin life ( lived his entire life without sin).
3- Crucifiction of the lamb without spot or Blimish.
4- Death Burial and resurrection of Christ after three days in the belly of the earth.
5- Ressurection in a Body you could touch.
6 -Assention to Gods right hand where he reins on high.
Is there anything you disagree with?
And it says “he may Know” ye are the sons of God without a shadow of a doubt.
I agree with all points as stated!

Upvote 0