Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What was the language that you spoke in and who translated it for you?
No one translated it for me I wasn't around Indians when I received it and haven't spoken in tounques around any either (not many of them in Houston). I just had a good amount of Pakistan and Indian friends in high school so was familiar with the language. I assume your referring to the interpretation mentioned in Corinthians but that's for the gift of tounques which is a direct message for a group of people from God that requires an interpretation to be understood. With the sign other people who happen to know the lanuwage can translate it but it's not a requirement espsicully considering the fact that prayer and worship which is when an indidivual typically speaks is between them and God.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have actually, and it's the only way speaking in tongues can be considered authentic.
There were three Muslim's from Cyprus that had expired visa's. During a service someone spoke in tongues and it didn't sound like a bunch of vain babblings like I would typically hear from Pentecostal's. The language I heard had structure to it. The three Muslim's were astonished. The tongues speaker, who the Muslim's knew didn't speak Greek, heard the speaker in their native language and understood what he said. The interpreter who didn't know Greek either, interpreted in English what the speaker said in Greek. One Muslim did speak English enough to hear the interpretation which was the same message he had heard spoken in Greek by the tonguesspeaker. This is how the gift of tongues is meant to be used and the only way it can be meant for to be a sign to unbelievers and edification of the church. That's the only way for them to be validated. Anything else is a fraud.

I agree.

Back in 1975 or so while speaking at a Baptist church in Casselberry Fl. a man stood up and began to speak. I could not understand anything he was saying and I asked if there was some one could interpret this mans speaking.

A young woman raised her hand and said, Yes......he is speaking in Portuguese!!!!

She went on to tell everyone that he was a Christian and was giving his personal testimony of how he was saved.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No one translated it for me I wasn't around Indians when I received it and haven't spoken in tounques around any either (not many of them in Houston). I just had a good amount of Pakistan and Indian friends in high school so was familiar with the language. I assume your referring to the interpretation mentioned in Corinthians but that's for the gift of tounques which is a direct message for a group of people from God that requires an interpretation to be understood. With the sign other people who happen to know the lanuwage can translate it but it's not a requirement espsicully considering the fact that prayer and worship which is when an indidivual typically speaks is between them and God.

I am pretty sure that all tongues must be interpreted and done in order with no more than two.

1 Corth. 14:28............
"But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God."

Along with the gift of speaking in tongues is another spiritual gift mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12:10—the gift of interpreting tongues. The gift of interpreting tongues is the ability to translate a foreign language into the language of the hearers. The gift of interpreting tongues is a separate gift, but it seems to have been used in conjunction with the gift of speaking in tongues.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am pretty sure that all tongues must be interpreted and done in order with no more than two.

"But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God."

Along with the gift of speaking in tongues is another spiritual gift mentioned in 1 Corinthians 12:10—the gift of interpreting tongues. The gift of interpreting tongues is the ability to translate a foreign language into the language of the hearers. The gift of interpreting tongues is a separate gift, but it seems to have been used in conjunction with the gift of speaking in tongues.
1 Corinthians 14:28 is referring to the gift of tounques which as described in 1st Corinthians is a message from God. Just the sign isn't a message from God so there's no reason for others to understand it. Like you though I have yet to witness or be around the gift of interpretation I only have been around prophecy and the typical sign of tounques. I understand your sure of you're posistion... but since you've never seen this or experienced this I hope you at least hear me out.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You don't have to agree with me just maybe be open to the possibility of being wrong about some things is all. As I stated I have experienced at least the sign and witnessed sign and prophecy first hand... so trust me when I say I know how this works. But like you in regards to the gift and interpretation I can't say much there besides what the Bible says... I've never been around those gifts or witnessed them in person.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
There are also people who have experienced this and the gifts even in the early centuries post Christ death here are a few examples.
Justin Martyr (died 165) "For the prophetical gifts remain with us, even to the present time."

Irenaeus (died 202) "In like manner we do also hear many brethren in the Church, who possess prophetic gifts, and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light for the general benefit the hidden things of men, and declare the mysteries of God."

Tertullian (died 220), replying to Marcion, a Gnostic: "Let Marcion then exhibit, as gifts of his god, some prophets, such as have not spoken by human sense, but with the Spirit of God, such as have both predicted things to come, and have made manifest the secrets of the heart; let him produce a psalm, a vision, a prayer - only let it be by the Spirit, in an ecstasy; that is, in a rapture, whenever an interpretation of tongues has occurred to him...Now all these signs are forthcoming from my side without any difficulty, and they agree, too, with the rules, and the dispensations, and the instructions of the Creator..."

Novatian (died 257) "This is He who places prophets in the Church, instructs teachers, directs tongues, gives powers and healings, does wonderful works, offers discrimination of spirits, affords powers of government, suggests counsels, and orders and arranges whatever other gifts there are of charismata; and thus makes the Lord's Church everywhere, and in all, perfected and completed."

Pachomius (died 346) was reported to have spoken "the language of angels...[and] after seasons of prayer, under the power of the Spirit, was able to speak languages which he had never learned."

Bishop Hilary of Poitiers (died 367) mentioned, among other things, "gifts of either speaking or interpreting divers kinds of tongues." He concluded, "Clearly these are the Church's agents of ministry and work of whom the body of Christ consists; and God has ordained them."

The thing to notice about those quotes is they are from the EARLY church fathers, before the completed canon had been fully distributed among the churches. In the ensuing decades those gifts became increasingly rare. In the oldest of your quotes, Bishop Hilary of Poitiers, if you had quoted a little further also said:

"Verily how rare and hard to attain are such spiritual gifts!"

The LATER church fathers reported that the charismatic gifts had ceased.

John Chrysostom (died 407), commentary on 1 Corinthians 12

This whole place is very obscure; but the obscurity is produced by our ignorance of the facts referred to, and by their cessation, being such as then used to occur, but now no longer take place.
Now then after [Paul] in every way had shown her [the Church] to be very exceedingly great, he does so again from another most important head, by a fresh comparison exalting her dignity, and saying thus; “but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away; whether there be tongues, they shall cease.” For if both these [gifts of prophecy and tongues] were brought in for the sake of the faith; when that is every where sown abroad, the use of these is henceforth superfluous. . . . It is no marvel that prophecies and tongues should be done away.

Augustine (died 430), commentary on 1 John

In the earliest time, “the Holy Ghost fell upon them that believed; and they spake with tongues,” which they had not learned, “as the Spirit gave them utterance.” These were the Sign adapted to the time. For there behooved to be that betokening of the Holy Spirit in all tongues, to show that the Gospel of God was to run through all tongues over the whole earth. That thing was done for a betokening, and it passed away.

Theodoret (died 466) Commentary on the First Epistle to the Corinthians:

In former times those who accepted the divine preaching and who were baptized for their salvation were given visible signs of the grace of the Holy Spirit at work in them. Some spoke in tongues which they did not know and which nobody had taught them, while others performed miracles or prophesied. The Corinthians also did these things, but they did not use the gifts as they should have done. They were more interested in showing off than in using them for the edification of the church.

It is also interesting to note that the church fathers, speaking immediately after the apostolic age, all confirmed that tongues was human foreign languages. None of them said it was a non-human or heavenly language.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The thing to notice about those quotes is they are from the EARLY church fathers, before the completed canon had been fully distributed among the churches. In the ensuing decades those gifts became increasingly rare. In the oldest of your quotes, Bishop Hilary of Poitiers, if you had quote a little further he also said:

"Verily how rare and hard to attain are such spiritual gifts!"

The LATER church fathers reported that the charismatic gifts had ceased.

John Chrysostom (died 407), commentary on 1 Corinthians 12

This whole place is very obscure; but the obscurity is produced by our ignorance of the facts referred to, and by their cessation, being such as then used to occur, but now no longer take place.
Now then after [Paul] in every way had shown her [the Church] to be very exceedingly great, he does so again from another most important head, by a fresh comparison exalting her dignity, and saying thus; “but whether there be prophecies, they shall be done away; whether there be tongues, they shall cease.” For if both these [gifts of prophecy and tongues] were brought in for the sake of the faith; when that is every where sown abroad, the use of these is henceforth superfluous. . . . It is no marvel that prophecies and tongues should be done away.

Augustine (died 430), commentary on 1 John

In the earliest time, “the Holy Ghost fell upon them that believed; and they spake with tongues,” which they had not learned, “as the Spirit gave them utterance.” These were the Sign adapted to the time. For there behooved to be that betokening of the Holy Spirit in all tongues, to show that the Gospel of God was to run through all tongues over the whole earth. That thing was done for a betokening, and it passed away.

Theodoret (died 466) Commentary on the First Epistle to the Corinthians:

In former times those who accepted the divine preaching and who were baptized for their salvation were given visible signs of the grace of the Holy Spirit at work in them. Some spoke in tongues which they did not know and which nobody had taught them, while others performed miracles or prophesied. The Corinthians also did these things, but they did not use the gifts as they should have done. They were more interested in showing off than in using them for the edification of the church.

It is also interesting to note that the church fathers, speaking immediately after the apostolic age, all confirmed that tongues was human foreign languages. None of them said it was a non-human heavenly language.
There seems to be this misconception that everyone is a charasmatic or something on here.. look I'm an apostolic Christian I don't believe in some heavenly sign of tounques I believe it's a foreign language like in acts hence why I quoted fathers who as you State a foreign language experience. Also I agree there was a time when it became rare once the church did certian things... and certian events happened but to say it completely died out isn't true is what I'm saying.

Upvote 0

Awesomemike1500

Aug 25, 2017
Abbeville
✟7,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
There are two common misconceptions people have about speaking in tongues:

1) Speaking in tongues in the Bible is speaking in the language of angels or some other language that no people on earth normally know, and .....
2) The same gift of speaking in tongues we read of in the Bible continues today.

The Bible reveals that both of these ideas are in false.

The Bible actually says that "speaking in tongues" has ceased.

In 1 Corinthians 13:8-10, Paul, in emphasizing the eternality of love points out that the gift of receiving prophecy from God, the gift of speaking in tongues, and the gift of receiving knowledge from God will end.

He says this will happen when that which is perfect is come. The Greek word translated "perfect" here is teleios. It means "complete." Something has reached its perfection when it is complete.

IMO the only thing that meets that explination is the Word of God and what Paul is referring to is the canonization of Scripture. Once God put all of the knowledge He wanted the church to have into the church through the gifts of knowledge, tongues, and prophecy—and all of this was recorded in Scripture—then He stopped giving those gifts. Tongues were only for the period of transition from the Old to the New Covenant, they were a witness against unbelievers, and were the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecies foretelling the divine judgment against the Jews as He turned from them to the Gentiles.

Tongues, as well as the gifts of knowledge and prophecy, and physical healing have ceased.

Im actually got here by some school work im doing and just being dead honest you cant find nothing on here but according to the bible it never ended... that verse you used was saying in the last day (when the world is over) but after acts 2 when someone recieved the Holy Ghost they spoke in tounges... we find this out in acts 10 because when peter got through preaching to carnillious they begane to speak in tounges an the bible says they knew this because
Acts 10:44-46
While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. FOR (meaning hes going to explain) they heard them speak with TONGUES, and magnify God...

And we go further back God sent and angel to him saying to call for peter and he will preach to them what they must do to be saved (read it yourself) the gift of tounges and this is completely different... the gift of tounges is when God interviens in a service and a message comes out for a congregation to hear, and you will know that that is God...

And there will be a rebuttle to me i know and dont care but those reading this do research OFF forums because you wont find nothing out here.... do your research on the bible and credible sources ... not this...

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Im actually got here by some school work im doing and just being dead honest you cant find nothing on here but according to the bible it never ended... that verse you used was saying in the last day (when the world is over) but after acts 2 when someone recieved the Holy Ghost they spoke in tounges... we find this out in acts 10 because when peter got through preaching to carnillious they begane to speak in tounges an the bible says they knew this because
Acts 10:44-46
While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. FOR (meaning hes going to explain) they heard them speak with TONGUES, and magnify God...

And we go further back God sent and angel to him saying to call for peter and he will preach to them what they must do to be saved (read it yourself) the gift of tounges and this is completely different... the gift of tounges is when God interviens in a service and a message comes out for a congregation to hear, and you will know that that is God...

And there will be a rebuttle to me i know and dont care but those reading this do research OFF forums because you wont find nothing out here.... do your research on the bible and credible sources ... not this...

Actually there is no need to be hostile. If you do not like what I say or disagree with me you are in good company.

Not so my friend. The 1 Corth. 13:8-13 Scripture is NOT about the end of days at all.

It is about the coming of the "Perfect One" which is in my opinion the Bible, the completed Word of God.
It can not be Jesus because the Greek grammar will not permit to be.

Acts 10:40-44 that you quoted is the Gentile Pentecost my friend. The tongues were an evidence to Peter and the others with him that God would save the Gentiles and would give to them the gift of the Holy Spirit. IF you had been reading my posts, you have seen that I have said several times the apostles had the gift of tongues and the passage you quoted verifies that. Peter was an apostle!!!

Explain to me how you would know that a message given in the middle of a service is from God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There seems to be this misconception that everyone is a charasmatic or something on here.. look I'm an apostolic Christian I don't believe in some heavenly sign of tounques I believe it's a foreign language like in acts hence why I quoted fathers who as you State a foreign language experience. Also I agree there was a time when it became rare once the church did certian things... and certian events happened but to say it completely died out isn't true is what I'm saying.

What actually is an "Apostolic Christian".

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You don't have to agree with me just maybe be open to the possibility of being wrong about some things is all. As I stated I have experienced at least the sign and witnessed sign and prophecy first hand... so trust me when I say I know how this works. But like you in regards to the gift and interpretation I can't say much there besides what the Bible says... I've never been around those gifts or witnessed them in person.

LOL.............Ask my wife how many times I am wrong in a day!

I have seen some unexplainable things in my life so I know what you are saying.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Corinthians 14:28 is referring to the gift of tounques which as described in 1st Corinthians is a message from God. Just the sign isn't a message from God so there's no reason for others to understand it. Like you though I have yet to witness or be around the gift of interpretation I only have been around prophecy and the typical sign of tounques. I understand your sure of you're posistion... but since you've never seen this or experienced this I hope you at least hear me out.

I am not arguing your position and you are free to believe as you think, however when we read that passage you quoted there is NO mention of it being a message from God. In fact, I do not know of any Scriptures where the speaking in tongues came from a message from God.

1 Corth. 14:27-28..........
" If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God."

I may be wrong but that tells me that there must be edification, but there must be order. IF someone were to speak in a tongue there MUST be an interpreter and his message MUST make sense and be in conformity with the Word of God.

Now that is not my opinion or what I think but as all can see, that is what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Tongues, as well as the gifts of knowledge and proph I have seen enugh ecy, and physical healing have ceased.

Why are people so blind as bat over this topic. I have read about, seen and been involved with enough physical healings to know that this claim is utter rubbish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Now ladies, do not get mad at me, I did not write 1 Corinthians. However, if the women were stopped from speaking in tongues today as Paul has said, there actually would not be any tongues spoken in church at all today.

Another silly claim without evidence.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I agree and the Bible would then in fact be the completed and perfect Word of God.

When it was completed there was then no need for tongues or knowledge or prophecies IMO.
I use the gift of knowledge all the time when I am praying for someone.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
LOL..........Yes I do!

Actually what I said was from a book by Dr. J. Vernon MaGee, Volume #4 where he explains exactly what I am talking about.

He taught as I believe that the "Sign" gifts were valid and were given to the apostles and ended with the death of John the Revelator. That is the theological teaching called......"Sessationism."
Which has been proved all over the world as rubbish.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Look around. You'll see it on Youtube if you look hard enough.
But again, while I acknowledge the presence of frauds, that's only a tool in the hands of Satan to undermine confidence in the true.
And it is used by cessationists to prove their erroneous doctrine.

Upvote 0