Western Pa
✟203,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whenever I refer to "The Lord" on these boards, I always capitalize the T in "the" for reverence unto "The Lord." There is but One that is perfect. When preaching in the spirit the term "The Perfect" has been spoken. The Perfect is the same as the only One who is perfect. And when He(The Perfect) comes, the imperfect will pass away. And He is coming, in all His Glory, for His special possession, on the day He acts. Will He find faith on earth?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I already said #1

They don't have the gift, but they hear others and try to repeat what they hear, truly believing that is speaking in tongues, but it isn't. I can tell when someone is doing this, haven't you? But I can also tell when someone has the true gift. So is that conscious, or unconscious?
It sounds like your answer is conscious, because the "try to repeat what they hear."

So then, what about the answer to #2? Do you think someone could not knowingly mimic what they have heard in the past?
TD:)

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
My initial investigations were centered on the Canon theory but as there are numerous cessationist commentators who have rejected this viewpoint for that of the maturity of the Church, this has compelled me to differentiate between the two.

The canon view and maturity view are very similar. One emphasizes the 'completeness' meaning of teleios, while the other the 'maturity' meaning of the word. There is considerable overlap between the two as Robert Thomas, the principle proponent of the maturity view, admits:

Understanding Spiritual Gifts - R L Thomas (1999) p78, p129
Paul was aware of another phase of the church's development in which he himself was playing a major role, a phase that also bore on the church's progress in maturity. That was the writing of New Testament Scriptures to correspond with the Old Testament Scriptures with which he was so familiar. It is fairly certain that Paul was aware of his own involvement in composing God's Word (1 Cor. 2:13, 14:36-37, 1 Thess. 2:13, 5:27). About ten years later, Peter was certainly aware that Paul had written inspired books (2 Peter 3:15-16), and no valid reason exists for thinking Paul himself did not recognize this fact, Paul also knew that the writing of New Testament Scripture would not go on indefinitely. Unless it were interrupted by the return of Christ, it was some day destined for completion, just as the thirty-nine books of the Old Testament were a completed canon of books by Paul's time. The Body of Christ was to continue growing, receiving revelations through prophecy and knowledge, until a fixed body of revelation would result.

Of course, at this early time no one except God knew how many books that would entail, but when consummated, the work would represent a significant step in the body's maturity. The writer alludes to this gradual accumulation of permanent revelation in his illustration of verse 11. The childhood and adolescent stages prevailed until the revelation was complete; but afterward, adulthood. (See Appendix A for further discussion of the contribution of 1 Corinthians 13:11 to an understanding of to teleion.)
Completion is in the context. Note the four occurrences of ek merous that require an opposite "completion": 13:9 (twice), 13:10 and 13:12. It is not a matter of completion's absence from the context; it is rather a question of the completion of what. The completion spoken of in verse 12 is unobscured cognitive sight to replace the limited prophetic revelations through the gift of knowledge. Those partial revelatory gifts were the means used by the Spirit in bringing the New Testament Scriptures - among other revelations - to the church. So a termination of revelatory gifts coincided with the completion of the New Testament. Verse 12 does not speak of seeing God face to face, which would be a qualitative condition inappropriate to this context. This would break the continuity of the earlier part of the paragraph where revelatory gifts are in view.

I believe what Paul refers to encompasses both meanings ie. the completion and distribution of the canon which results in the maturity of the church. That makes teleios the ideal word to use. A wedge should not be driven between the two imo.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
From memory, you did post some rather abstract titles a few months back but I struggled to find valid links to them and I suspect that many of the items would have gone the same way as Major1's blunder, where he had blindly hoped that some commentators had said something that they in fact did not say, of which I have already pointed out to him.

Considering the lack of accessible historical information that supports the Canon view, then I more than welcome any valid and searchable links to such information. But please do not repeat what Major1 did, please check your sources before you post them.

Then allow me to assist you in your research. Here is my list of theologians who support the canon/maturity view that I am aware of from my limited research so far. A few of their publications are online and I've listed those at the top if anyone wants a good in-depth exposition of 1 Cor 13:8-13. I have the relevant excerpts from all the others but this post would be far too long to cite them all. I'll see if I can compile them all into a pdf and upload it here. In the meantime let me know if you want any of them posting here and I will happily oblige.

1 Corinthians 13:8–13 and the Cessation of the Miraculous Gifts (DBSJ 9, 2004)
R. Bruce Compton (Professor of Biblical Languages and Exposition at Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary)
Compton.pdf

A Reexamination of 1 Corinthians 13:8-13, (Bibliotheca Sacra Volume 153, 1996)
Myron J. Houghton, (Chairman of the Department of Systematic Theology, Faith Baptist Theological Seminary, lowa)
http://www.gospelrenewal.com/blog/w...eological-Training-Session-6-Supplemental.pdf

When Will the Gift of Prophecy Cease?” (Bibliotheca Sacra 150 April–June 1993)
David Farnell, professor of New Testament studies at The Master's Seminary
When Will the Gift of Prophecy Cease? by F. David Farnell – Grace Online Library

The Meaning of the Perfect in 1 Corinthians 13:8–13 (CTS Journal Fall 2004)
Andrew M. Woods (President of Chafer Theological Seminary)
http://www.chafer.edu/files/the_meaning_of_the_perfect.pdf?r=25671561

Three Arguments for the Cessation of Tongues (CTJ March 2005)
Robert Dean, pastor & ministry director
http://www.divineviewpoint.com/sane/dbm/Tongues_paper.pdf

Understanding Spiritual Gifts: A Verse-by-Verse Study of 1 Corinthians 12-14 (Kregel, 1999)
Robert L. Thomas, professor of New Testament at The Master's Seminary

The Holy Spirit: Power from on High (College Press 2007)
Jack Cottrell , professor of theology at Cincinnati Christian University

Tongues Shall Cease (Grace Journal 14.1, Winter 1973)
Gilbert B Weaver, professor of Bible and philosophy at John Brown University

The New Covenant Ministry of the Holy Spirit (Kregel 2001)
Larry Pettigrew (Professor of Theology, Shepherds Theological Seminary, North Carolina)

An Evaluation of Claims to the Charismatic Gifts (Baker 1978)
Douglas Judisch (former Professor of Biblical Studies at Concordia Theological Seminary),

Christian Unity (Baker, 1987)
Martyn Lloyd-Jones

First Corinthians (College Press 1985)
Paul T Butler, professor of Bible and Philosophy at Ozark Christian College

Studies in First Corinthians (College Press 1963)
T. R. Applebury (former professor of New Testament at Pacific Christian College, California)

The Holy Spirit: A Comprehensive Study of the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit (Zondervan 1991)
John F Walvoord, former president and professor of systematic theology at Dallas Theological Seminary

Speaking in Tongues (BMH Journal, 1963)
Herman A. Hoyt, professor of New Testament and president of Grace Theological Seminary

Signs of the Apostles, (Banner of Truth 1973)
Walter J Chantry

The Baptism and Gifts of the Holy Spirit (Moody Publishers 1974)
Merrill Unger, professor at Dallas Theological Seminary

New Testament Teaching on Tongues (Kregel Publications, 1971)

First Corinthians (Gospel Advocate Company 1935)
David Lipscomb - Founder of Lipscomb University, Nashville.

First Corinthians (Trinity Foundation 1975)
Gordon Clark, (Professor of Philosophy at Wheaton College, then Butler University in Indianapolis)

Commentary on First and Second Corinthians (Abilene Christian University Press 1984)
James Burton Coffman - vice-president of Harding University, Arkansas.

Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible (1871)
Jamieson, Fawcett, & Brown

Commentary on First Corinthians (Thomas Nelson 1997, orig 1951)
W.E. Vine

Cessationism in 1 Cor 13:8-12 (TMS Journal 2003)
Donald McDougal, Associate Professor of New Testament at The Masters Seminary

Paul his Life and Teaching (Baker 2003)
John McRay, Professor emeritus of New Testament and archaeology at Wheaton College

The Modern Tongues Movement (Baker 1972)
Robert Gromacki, Professor Emeritus of Bible and Greek at Cedarville University

The Way of Excellence (HarperCollins 1968)
E. M. Blaiklock, University of Auckland

The Holy Spirit (Moody Press 1997)
Charles Ryrie, Professor of Systematic Theology at Dallas Theological Seminary

The Confusion of Tongues (BSac 120, Apr 1963)
William G. Bellshaw, president of Northwest Baptist Seminary

The People's New Testament (1891)
Barton Warren Johnson, president of Oskaloosa College (now William Penn University).

Studies in 1 Corinthians (Convention Press 1960)
Millard J Berquist, president of Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

New Defenders Study Bible (Thomas Nelson 2005)
Henry M. Morris - President of Christian Heritage College (now San Diego Christian College) and founder of Institute for Creation Research

Notes on St. Paul : Corinthians, Galatians, Romans (Burns and Oates 1898)
Joseph Rickaby, Worcester College Oxford.

The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit (T & T. Clark, 1882)
George Smeaton, Professor of New Testament Exegesis at New College, Edinburgh

Dogmatic Theology (Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1891)
William G. T. Shedd, Professor of Systematic Theology at Union Theological Seminary.

Charity and its Fruits (1738)
Jonathan Edwards

Commentary on 1 Corinthians (Standard Publishing Company, 1916)
J. W. McGarvey, professor at College of the Bible (now Lexington Theological Seminary)

A Discourse concerning the Holy Spirit (1676)
John Owen

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because by the Spirit of God I can already 'worship in spirit and in truth' (John 4); because God's revelation of Himself is already complete.

So you don't desire the gifts? 1 Corinthians 12:30-31: "Not all have gifts of healing, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they? Not all interpret, do they? But you should be eager for the greater gifts.

• Agree
Reactions: Explorer55
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you don't desire the gifts? 1 Corinthians 12:30-31: "Not all have gifts of healing, do they? Not all speak in tongues, do they? Not all interpret, do they? But you should be eager for the greater gifts.
Assuming that the Apostolic era gifts are still relevant whereas the Scriptures are now complete; I don't make that assumption.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then allow me to assist you in your research. Here is my list of theologians who support the canon/maturity view that I am aware of from my limited research so far. A few of their publications are online and I've listed those at the top if anyone wants a good in-depth exposition of 1 Cor 13:8-13. I have the relevant excerpts from all the others but this post would be far too long to cite them all. I'll see if I can compile them all into a pdf and upload it here. In the meantime let me know if you want any of them posting here and I will happily oblige.

R. Bruce Compton (Professor of Biblical Languages and Exposition at Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary)
Compton.pdf

Myron J. Houghton, (Chairman of the Department of Systematic Theology, Faith Baptist Theological Seminary, lowa)
http://www.gospelrenewal.com/blog/w...eological-Training-Session-6-Supplemental.pdf

When Will the Gift of Prophecy Cease? by F. David Farnell – Grace Online Library

Understanding Spiritual Gifts: A Verse-by-Verse Study of 1 Corinthians 12-14 (Kregel, 1999)

Larry Pettigrew (Professor of Theology, Shepherds Theological Seminary, North Carolina)

Douglas Judisch (former Professor of Biblical Studies at Concordia Theological Seminary),

Martyn Lloyd-Jones

T. R. Applebury (former professor of New Testament at Pacific Christian College, California)

The Holy Spirit: A Comprehensive Study of the Person and Work of the Holy Spirit (Zondervan 1991)
John F Walvoord, former president and professor of systematic theology at Dallas Theological Seminary

Herman A. Hoyt, professor of New Testament and president of Grace Theological Seminary

Walter J Chantry

Gordon Clark, (Professor of Philosophy at Wheaton College, then Butler University in Indianapolis)

Commentary on First and Second Corinthians (Abilene Christian University Press 1984)

W.E. Vine

John McRay, Professor emeritus of New Testament and archaeology at Wheaton College

Barton Warren Johnson, president of Oskaloosa College (now William Penn University).

Henry M. Morris - President of Christian Heritage College (now San Diego Christian College) and founder of Institute for Creation Research

William G. T. Shedd, Professor of Systematic Theology at Union Theological Seminary.

Jonathan Edwards

J. W. McGarvey, professor at College of the Bible (now Lexington Theological Seminary)

John Owen
Well, exactly.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Blessing to you. I have a job and go to work every day so it is impossible for me to keep those kinds of hours.

Now, my opinion is really very simple. IMO, the Pentecostal Charismatic's today want to see, and feel with the same kind of excitement and movement that was evident during the days of the 1st church.

Miracles, tongues, people raised from the dead and so on. To do so they have abopted the teaching of CONTINUASIM of the sign gifts. By doing so they can claim that what they are doing is what the Bible says that they can do and should do.

However, the charismatic idea that healings were performed by numerous Christians is simply not to be found in the New Testament. Only the apostles are recorded as having healed, together with two apostolic assistants or delegates, Stephen and Philip, and possibly Barnabas.

The only time someone outside this group performed a healing was when the Lord told Ananias to heal Paul. There is no other healing apart from these in the early church.

The Pentecostal/charismatic idea that healings took place constantly by Christians at large is not taught in the Bible. Thus the infallible record of Scripture shows the entire charismatic approach to healing to be a mistake based on a myth. The record proves that the healings and mighty deeds were restricted to a class of people who have passed away.
Cessationism | Charismatic Gifts | What is Cessationism? | Proving that Charismatic Gifts have ceased - Metropolitan Tabernacle

Maybe so, but I was healed in the hospital by Jesus Christ through the prayer of a pastor. There was no mistake. It actually happened.

Do you really think that God is so limited that he can't perform miracles through people today? If so, I feel deeply sorry for you.

• Winner
Reactions: Explorer55
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Assuming that the Apostolic era gifts are still relevant whereas the Scriptures are now complete; I don't make that assumption.

What assumption? Do you desire the gifts of the Spirit or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
1stcenturylady, I couldn't help but notice, you start off quoting part of 1Tim.3:16 by saying "The Church is the pillar." Then you go directly to a "but". However, as you can see by the full passage that I've posted below, there is no "but" in the verse. It does say though that the Church (singluar) is "the pillar and ground of the truth." You left out the truth part.

Okay...... and what Church do you think was "THE CHURCH" fifteen hundred years prior to the Reformation?

Okay, let me ask you something, in Acts 20:35, Paul says: "In all things I have shown you that by so toiling one must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, `It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Can you show me anywhere in the bible Jesus said "It is more blessed to give than to receive?" If you cannot, would you agree this is a good example of an oral teaching of Jesus being handed on to Paul,who hands it down to us.

Or.... how bout Matt. 2:23: "And he went and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that what was spoken by the prophets might be fulfilled, "He shall be called a Nazarene." Can you show where the prophecy "he shall be called a Nazarene" is written anywhere in the Bible?

And how would you explain 2Tim. 3:14 where Timothy is initially exhorted to hold to the oral teachings....the traditions.....that he received from the apostle Paul? Or on 1Tim.113-14 where Paul echoes the reminder of the value of oral tradition where he say's.... "Follow the pattern of the sound words which you have "heard from me", in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus; guard the truth that has been entrusted to you by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us", and "what you have "heard from me" before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2:2). Here Paul refers exclusively to oral teaching and reminds Timothy to follow that as the "pattern" for his own teaching (1:13).---------(with help from Catholic.com)

I'm sorry, but whenever I see this nonsence of Catholics worshipping Mary, the credibilty of the person stating it goes right down the toilet when it comes to the teachings of the Catholic Church. If this were true, don't ya think it might be in official documentation of the Catholic Church..... like the Catechism?

We Catholics believe that worship is due to God alone. We do, however, venerate Mary. In other words, we honor our Blessed Mother with great reverence and devotion because she is the Mother of God. Do you think Jesus loved His Mother Mary? We sure do, sooooooo.... if Jesus loved her, we should too. But one thing you can be assured..... We can never love Mary more than Jesus did.

If you think praying to a Saint for their intercession is praying to a dead person, you better read your bible a little closer. For Jesus taught us in Matt. 22:23-28..... "That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24 "Teacher," they said, "Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him. 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27 Finally, the woman died. 28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?"

And in Matt.22:29-32 it say's....."Jesus replied, You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead--have you not read what God said to you, 32 `I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob' ? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

Now, if God is the God of the living and not the God of the dead when Jesus spoke of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob........ then how can Catholics be praying to dead people? Even though Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob each experienced a physical death Jesus said they are indeed alive ("for to him all [in heaven] are alive") !

(with help from www.biblicalcatholic.com)

So 1stcenturylady, I'll ask you the same question asked of other posters which have yet to answer.

"if you were to disagree with any non-Catholic poster/posters on any certain bible passage, and you all claimed to be inspired by the Holy Spirit in your own interpretation? You agree the Holy Spirit is incapable of error.... correct? So, who would be in error, you... them? And by what or who's authority determines it?

Have a Blessed Lenten Season

This will be long with all your questions.

Okay...... and what Church do you think was "THE CHURCH" fifteen hundred years prior to the Reformation?

The ancient Church was always headed by a desposyni - a relative of Jesus. James, the brother of Jesus was the first head of the Church in Antioch. (Never Peter) The next was Symeon, another relative of Jesus, and so on. (Please note these relatives were NOT direct descendants of Jesus and Mary Magdalene - a made up story like a tradition and a heresy; they were brothers, uncles, cousins and the like from the line of David through Joseph) After a few hundred years there were two branches of the Church running side by side. The true one from the beginning of the desposynus. And later the other was the start of the Roman Church which compromised the Church with some pagan practices to prevent culture shock when Christianity became the state religion and paganism was outlawed. It was at this time that the ornate pagan temples were turned into church buildings, the first buildings. Also, the attire of the pagan temple priests was adopted - robes and head ware, whereas the desponsyni wore humble attire. The desposyni Church was made up of small groups in many homes, intimate and brought with it accountability and love towards one another; or in the catacombs until Domitian put a stop to the persecution of the Church because of the desposyni's explanation of the Kingdom of God not being of this world.

Or.... how bout Matt. 2:23: "And he went and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, that what was spoken by the prophets might be fulfilled, "He shall be called a Nazarene." Can you show where the prophecy "he shall be called a Nazarene" is written anywhere in the Bible?

Isaiah 11:1 (Branch is Nezer in Hebrew, where we get Nazarene)
11 There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse,
And a Branch shall grow out of his roots.
2 The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him,
The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The Spirit of counsel and might,
The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord.

Okay, let me ask you something, in Acts 20:35, Paul says: "In all things I have shown you that by so toiling one must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, `It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Can you show me anywhere in the bible Jesus said "It is more blessed to give than to receive?" If you cannot, would you agree this is a good example of an oral teaching of Jesus being handed on to Paul,who hands it down to us.

Not everything Jesus said or taught is accounted for in the four gospels. It wouldn't take us three years to read what is written. So Paul is providing another gem that Jesus actually said, but was never recorded before then. But we have it now. Praise God.

And how would you explain 2Tim. 3:14 where Timothy is initially exhorted to hold to the oral teachings....the traditions.....that he received from the apostle Paul? Or on 1Tim.113-14 where Paul echoes the reminder of the value of oral tradition where he say's.... "Follow the pattern of the sound words which you have "heard from me", in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus; guard the truth that has been entrusted to you by the Holy Spirit who dwells within us", and "what you have "heard from me" before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2:2). Here Paul refers exclusively to oral teaching and reminds Timothy to follow that as the "pattern" for his own teaching (1:13).---------(with help from Catholic.com)

Timothy was like a son to Paul and they TALKED. Paul was also his teacher of the gospel and spent much time with him. Talk is oral. What's the problem. The oral tradition was the gospel. You do know that Paul was an apostle of Jesus Christ don't you, and well before the fairy tales that turned into holy traditions, but have no truth to them. Just stick to the Word of God, and don't add to it uninspired by God stories and theories about the mother of Jesus. The GOSPEL is about Jesus, not His mother. To do so, is a direct copy of the pagan goddess and child mystery religion of Babylon. They have superimposed Mary onto Semiramus, the first pagan High Priestess, a little more than 400 years after the flood, with Jesus superimposed over Tamuz her son. In that mystery religion the mother has a higher respect and reverence than the son. Every different pagan country had a different goddess and son they worshiped. I can give you a list if you give me time. Trying to sanitize this pagan corruption my copying it with Mary as the "Queen of Heaven," a pagan title.

Jeremiah 44
44 The word that came to Jeremiah concerning all the Jews who dwell in the land of Egypt, who dwell at Migdol, at Tahpanhes, at Noph, and in the country of Pathros, saying, 2 “Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: ‘You have seen all the calamity that I have brought on Jerusalem and on all the cities of Judah; and behold, this day they are a desolation, and no one dwells in them, 3 because of their wickedness which they have committed to provoke Me to anger, in that they went to burn incense and to serve other gods whom they did not know, they nor you nor your fathers. 4 However I have sent to you all My servants the prophets, rising early and sending them, saying, “Oh, do not do this abominable thing that I hate!” 5 But they did not listen or incline their ear to turn from their wickedness, to burn no incense to other gods. 6 So My fury and My anger were poured out and kindled in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem; and they are wasted and desolate, as it is this day.’

7 “Now therefore, thus says the Lord, the God of hosts, the God of Israel: ‘Why do you commit this great evil against yourselves, to cut off from you man and woman, child and infant, out of Judah, leaving none to remain, 8 in that you provoke Me to wrath with the works of your hands, burning incense to other gods in the land of Egypt where you have gone to dwell, that you may cut yourselves off and be a curse and a reproach among all the nations of the earth? 9 Have you forgotten the wickedness of your fathers, the wickedness of the kings of Judah, the wickedness of their wives, your own wickedness, and the wickedness of your wives, which they committed in the land of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem? 10 They have not been humbled, to this day, nor have they feared; they have not walked in My law or in My statutes that I set before you and your fathers.’

11 “Therefore thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: ‘Behold, I will set My face against you for catastrophe and for cutting off all Judah. 12 And I will take the remnant of Judah who have set their faces to go into the land of Egypt to dwell there, and they shall all be consumed and fall in the land of Egypt. They shall be consumed by the sword and by famine. They shall die, from the least to the greatest, by the sword and by famine; and they shall be an oath, an astonishment, a curse and a reproach! 13 For I will punish those who dwell in the land of Egypt, as I have punished Jerusalem, by the sword, by famine, and by pestilence, 14 so that none of the remnant of Judah who have gone into the land of Egypt to dwell there shall escape or survive, lest they return to the land of Judah, to which they desire to return and dwell. For none shall return except those who escape.’”

15 Then all the men who knew that their wives had burned incense to other gods, with all the women who stood by, a great multitude, and all the people who dwelt in the land of Egypt, in Pathros, answered Jeremiah, saying: 16 “As for the word that you have spoken to us in the name of the Lord, we will not listen to you! 17 But we will certainly do whatever has gone out of our own mouth, to burn incense to the queen of heaven and pour out drink offerings to her, as we have done, we and our fathers, our kings and our princes, in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. For then we had plenty of food, were well-off, and saw no trouble. 18 But since we stopped burning incense to the queen of heaven and pouring out drink offerings to her, we have lacked everything and have been consumed by the sword and by famine.”

19 The women also said, “And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven and poured out drink offerings to her, did we make cakes for her, to worship her, and pour out drink offerings to her without our husbands’ permission?

20 Then Jeremiah spoke to all the people—the men, the women, and all the people who had given him that answer—saying: 21 “The incense that you burned in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem, you and your fathers, your kings and your princes, and the people of the land, did not the Lord remember them, and did it not come into His mind? 22 So the Lord could no longer bear it, because of the evil of your doings and because of the abominations which you committed. Therefore your land is a desolation, an astonishment, a curse, and without an inhabitant, as it is this day. 23 Because you have burned incense and because you have sinned against the Lord, and have not obeyed the voice of the Lord or walked in His law, in His statutes or in His testimonies, therefore this calamity has happened to you, as at this day.”

24 Moreover Jeremiah said to all the people and to all the women, “Hear the word of the Lord, all Judah who are in the land of Egypt! 25 Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, saying: ‘You and your wives have spoken with your mouths and fulfilled with your hands, saying, “We will surely keep our vows that we have made, to burn incense to the queen of heaven and pour out drink offerings to her.” You will surely keep your vows and perform your vows!’ 26 Therefore hear the word of the Lord, all Judah who dwell in the land of Egypt: ‘Behold, I have sworn by My great name,’ says the Lord, ‘that My name shall no more be named in the mouth of any man of Judah in all the land of Egypt, saying, “The Lord God lives.” 27 Behold, I will watch over them for adversity and not for good. And all the men of Judah who are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by the sword and by famine, until there is an end to them. 28 Yet a small number who escape the sword shall return from the land of Egypt to the land of Judah; and all the remnant of Judah, who have gone to the land of Egypt to dwell there, shall know whose words will stand, Mine or theirs. 29 And this shall be a sign to you,’ says the Lord, ‘that I will punish you in this place, that you may know that My words will surely stand against you for adversity.’

30 “Thus says the Lord: ‘Behold, I will give Pharaoh Hophra king of Egypt into the hand of his enemies and into the hand of those who seek his life, as I gave Zedekiah king of Judah into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, his enemy who sought his life.’”

I'm sorry, but whenever I see this nonsence of Catholics worshipping Mary, the credibilty of the person stating it goes right down the toilet when it comes to the teachings of the Catholic Church. If this were true, don't ya think it might be in official documentation of the Catholic Church..... like the Catechism?

Do you pray the rosary? That is worship. Do you call MARY—CO-REDEMPTRIX AND MEDIATRIX. OF ALL GRACE? Do you call her QUEEN OF HEAVEN?

Last edited:
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Obviously I didn't understand your response. Post #2272.

He doesn't want tongues. I don't know about the other gifts. He gets all he wants out of the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds like your answer is conscious, because the "try to repeat what they hear."

So then, what about the answer to #2? Do you think someone could not knowingly mimic what they have heard in the past?
TD:)

I didn't agree with #2 so have no comment, that is why I said #1.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The canon view and maturity view are very similar. One emphasizes the 'completeness' meaning of teleios, while the other the 'maturity' meaning of the word. There is considerable overlap between the two as Robert Thomas, the principle proponent of the maturity view, admits:
Okay, now it's 11:58 PM on Tuesday evening, what a day and a night!

Even though those who adhere to the maturity of the Church perspective would most likely recoil at your comment, I came to much the same conclusion as you have only a few months back, where I decided that I had to move a bit more carefully with their material, if for nothing else, so that I could do justice to their particular perspective.

It almost seems as if they want to adopt that Canon perspective for 1 Cor 13:10, which I feel that they might very well secretly adhere to but as they have undoubtedly realised that it is reading too much into the passage that they have adopted more of a philosophical approach, where this philosophical approach has become the mainstay position within mainstream cessationism.

Thanks again for that corrected material as I was stunned that the editor of the material that I was quoting had been so careless with how he selected.

Due to a lack of time I will have to leave Edgars's material alone for now - but thanks again for that more detailed material.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Compton.pdf

Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Walter J Chantry

W.E. Vine

Jonathan Edwards

John Owen
The commentaries on First Corinthians by Compton; Houghton; Woods; Dean; Butler; Applebury; Lipscomb; Coffman were a bit of a surprise as I had not come across their material within the various colleges here in Melbourne. I did not find them within my EndNote database which currently incorporates over 30,000 NT entries, so they are a good find, thankyou.

One of the troubles I have had is trying to discover how well known the various commentators were within their own time periods, where some were certainly well known even today, but some seem to have very little exposure with their material.

Berquist seems to adhere to the maturity view, though I need to obtain a better copy of his work to be sure that I am reading him correctly.

I had already included McGarvey (1916) and he was the one that I referred to as preceding Warfield (1918).

Shedd; Smeaton and a few others are within my database but by name and title only.

I have Rickaby’s commentary (1898) but he is certainly an enigma in that he seems to want to play his position two ways and as such I am still trying to figure out how to classify him.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Blessing to you. I have a job and go to work every day so it is impossible for me to keep those kinds of hours.
Yes, today was supposed to be a day off for me, but getting to bed at 7am definitely messed up my day and I only arrived home from a service call after about 11 PM, so I will reply sometime tomorrow night.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe so, but I was healed in the hospital by Jesus Christ through the prayer of a pastor. There was no mistake. It actually happened.

Do you really think that God is so limited that he can't perform miracles through people today? If so, I feel deeply sorry for you.

Now lets be clear here my dear friend. What you described is EXACTLY what I have said many times here so there is no need to feel sorry for me. I have seen and been present when God has done exactly the same thing you have described.

Please understand that GOD HEALS and He does it the way He said it had to be done, NOT THE WAY WE WANT HIM TO DO IT.

James 5:13 says..........
"Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the LORD: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the LORD shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."

Isn't that what you just described that happened to you?
Did the pastor hit you on the head?
Did he blow the Holy Spirit onto you?
Did he ask you for a love offering?

Now that is God's method. The way men do it today by meeting in a football arena, advertising for months about an event, taking up an offering and then knocking people down or blowing on them is IMO nonsense.

Since what you described is what I said I am wondering why you are arguing with me on such an obvious subject, but IF you choose to accept that kind of example to place your faith in then please go right ahead and do so.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, today was supposed to be a day off for me, but getting to bed at 7am definitely messed up my day and I only arrived home from a service call after about 11 PM, so I will reply sometime tomorrow night.

Now this is only a friendly thought to you. PLEASE fell free to completely ignore this advice.

Have you considered that just maybe you are spending way too much time on line in this and or other forums????

I did that many years ago and realized that I was being consumed and my time eaten away and I was not enjoying life as I used to.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0