Is something morally wrong with legalizing marijuana?

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
hmmmmm....

Should laws be made to protect our YOUNG kids from having easy access to certain things?

I mean, though alcohol is legal for only 21 and above, a 6 year old can access it easier than she could if it was illegal. When things are legal, they tend to be laid around more freely in the home. I mean, I keep my beer cold in the same fridge my kids milk is.

So, if pot became legal, I just feel it will be laying around with the packs of cigarettes and anyone who has smoking parents can just about tell you where the first cig they smoked came from. Where as, if it remains illegal, pot is "put up" or "hidden" therefore not easily accessed by young kids.

Upvote 0

LyraJean

Mar 6, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟8,900.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Theocracy is not a game. It is God's will.

I'll give you theocracy and raise you discrimination, enslavement and legalism. Remember most of the Bible is very woman friendly as in it is easily twisted to keep women as second class and inferior to men.

Read "A Handmaid's Tale"

Upvote 0

BlackCherry

Apr 15, 2010
✟187.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
hmmmmm....

Should laws be made to protect our YOUNG kids from having easy access to certain things?

I mean, though alcohol is legal for only 21 and above, a 6 year old can access it easier than she could if it was illegal. When things are legal, they tend to be laid around more freely in the home. I mean, I keep my beer cold in the same fridge my kids milk is.

So, if pot became legal, I just feel it will be laying around with the packs of cigarettes and anyone who has smoking parents can just about tell you where the first cig they smoked came from. Where as, if it remains illegal, pot is "put up" or "hidden" therefore not easily accessed by young kids.
Very good points, and this is why alcohol needs to be banned immediately. Studies point towards how much easier it is for children to start drinking if their parents are drinking, and facilitating access. Considering how reputable papers as Lancet has published studies showing how much greater organ damage is by consumption of alcohol vs cannabis, it is a clear sin having liberal alcohol laws. It is outrageous.

Upvote 0

LyraJean

Mar 6, 2010
Florida
Visit site
✟8,900.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Very good points, and this is why alcohol needs to be banned immediately. Studies point towards how much easier it is for children to start drinking if their parents are drinking, and facilitating access. Considering how reputable papers as Lancet has published studies showing how much greater organ damage is by consumption of alcohol vs cannabis, it is a clear sin having liberal alcohol laws. It is outrageous.

You must not be a history teacher then. America tried banning alcohol. It was called Prohibition. It happened during the 1920's. It didn't work.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
When there is a right way of living your life, what goes against forcing people to follow that path

A good life isn't merely one where people mindlessly follow rules. It is one where people prudently consider the situations in which they find themselves, and make thoughtful and wise decisions. This is why we have a society that was established on individual liberty and individual rights, and had originally rejected the idea of forcing people to follow a path.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Mobiosity

American by birth; Southern by the grace of God.
Feb 20, 2007
✟11,055.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Legalize and don't tax it, but keep people personally responsible for any negative consequences of using it.

To answer the OP: I don't think it is the government's business to try to regulate moral behavior, as if it were a cosmic parent. It is there to enforce rights and secure individual liberty. It is moral to understand and respect this.

Perhaps it needs to be said, but I have never used marijuana and don't intend to, even if it were legal.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Mark, Mark, Mark; we are talking about America - the land of not me; not my fault and my favorite, NIMBY.

Upvote 0

BlackCherry

Apr 15, 2010
✟187.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
A good life isn't merely one where people mindlessly follow rules. It is one where people prudently consider the situations in which they find themselves, and make thoughtful and wise decisions. This is why we have a society that was established on individual liberty and individual rights, and had originally rejected the idea of forcing people to follow a path.

eudaimonia,

Mark
I don't know that much about Sweden, but the fact that marijuana isn't legal in Sweden, kind of proves my point. Every society forces people to follow paths. No society allows a human being complete freedom in filling one's life with meaning, there are minimum criteria that are established by each individual having different limits of acceptance for choices diverging from one's own. I merely support limits that are in conjunction with God's will, and you obviously don't. Your entire post just goes to show how utterly misguided you are, but then again, all scandinavian countries have become filled with filthy atheists these days.

Upvote 0

BlackCherry

Apr 15, 2010
✟187.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
You must not be a history teacher then. America tried banning alcohol. It was called Prohibition. It happened during the 1920's. It didn't work.
Fine, so let's just allow the use of heroin as well, then. Seeing as giving up seems to be your perfect answer to everything.

Upvote 0

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
God did not create man and woman for us to spill life by intoxicating ourselves. Claiming that "we all should have a right to do whatever we want with our lives" is nothing but a huge denial of responsibility.

Quite the opposite. By having the freedom to do what you want, you also accept the responsibility of those consequences.

We have the power to use the government to stop our neighbours from drinking and smoking, so you will have to answer before God why you didn't. When there is a right way of living your life, what goes against forcing people to follow that path.

It's called "free will", honey. And if anyone will have to answer, it'll be you for sticking you nose where it doesn't belong.

So get a life and stay out of mine.

There is no automatic reciprocation here, as no person voting has the ability to address the ban on marijuana to me as a Christian. Therefore, the pro-marijuana people don't know who to retaliate against. This is a part of the voting system that we Christians should exploit to make sure God's will is followed.

You can take away other people's rights, without having your own revoked. Whether you want to or not, is more a function of Satan's grip of your mind.

I'm really hoping you're a troll, otherwise you'ld one seriously screwed up person. God help your husband with your authoritarian tendencies.

No, they'll just get from the "cool" kid on the playground. Or maybe the goth kid, or the urban black kid...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jpcedotal

May 26, 2009
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

It did work. Those who wanted to drink still drank and it removed the "it's ok" label, so kids didn't have easy access to it because adults kept it hidden from them....

Look, I don't know what the answer is. All I am saying is any law made that does not have the children in mind is a bad law.

How about $100 x # of Oz fine every time you get caught with pot? The penalty never goes up or down, and the only jail time required are for those who can not pay in a reasonable amount of time.

Same with every other drug as well. $100 x a set amount depending on the drug. Like per 6 pack, per pint, per gram, per pill. No jail time unless a crime was committed as well, such as driving while under the influence or stealing someone's TV.

Upvote 0

BlackCherry

Apr 15, 2010
✟187.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
In Relationship
Quite the opposite. By having the freedom to do what you want, you also accept the responsibility of those consequences.
Exactly, by allowing other people freedom to do what they want, you accept being partly responsible for the consequences that will ensue.

It's called "free will", honey. And if anyone will have to answer, it'll be you for sticking you nose where it doesn't belong.
Stick it to free will, but the will isn't freer than the fact that you can calculate that abortions will happen if you allow it to be legal. You can't wash your hands, even though it is understandable that you would make feeble rhetoric attempts out of self-justification.

I'm really hoping you're a troll, otherwise you'ld one seriously screwed up person. God help your husband with your authoritarian tendencies.
Dear Bob. What exactly are you hoping to achieve by littering your language with ad hominems?

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It needs to be legalized and taxed a little; hey parents! Don't want kids to drink booze or smoke? Guess what!? They aren't kids forever! They're going to do what they want, not what you want.

America isn't supposed to follow "God's will", whatever that means. Our country's policies are not supposed to reflect on the desires of an authoritaian deity from any religion; that's theocracy.

But if you want to know, Jesus more than likely used cannabis, as the plant was a main ingredient in holy oils used to annoint people with. Cannabis was a biblical
sacrament.

Soo to all the bible thumpers out there; it is perfectly within God's will to use cannabis. People have done it since the beginning of history.

Aside from the fact that it is okay to partake from a religious perspective, from a sociological and political side it is also okay bc a) the medicinal value it has. B) prohibitive legislation was illegal since congress ate up every lie and deception about the drug to base their decision to make it illegal. C) it's prohibition is justification to persecute minorities. If you're a poor minority, you're three times more likely to be charged, prosecuted convicted and punished for marijuana. If you're white little rich boy senator's son, cops are more likely just to let you go.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

May 26, 2009
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It needs to be legalized and taxed a little; hey parents! Don't want kids to drink booze or smoke? Guess what!? They aren't kids forever! They're going to do what they want, not what you want.

America isn't supposed to follow "God's will", whatever that means. Our country's policies are not supposed to reflect on the desires of an authoritaian deity from any religion; that's theocracy.

But if you want to know, Jesus more than likely used cannabis, as the plant was a main ingredient in holy oils used to annoint people with. Cannabis was a biblical
sacrament.

Soo to all the bible thumpers out there; it is perfectly within God's will to use cannabis. People have done it since the beginning of history.

Aside from the fact that it is okay to partake from a religious perspective, from a sociological and political side it is also okay bc a) the medicinal value it has. B) prohibitive legislation was illegal since congress ate up every lie and deception about the drug to base their decision to make it illegal. C) it's prohibition is justification to persecute minorities. If you're a poor minority, you're three times more likely to be charged, prosecuted convicted and punished for marijuana. If you're white little rich boy senator's son, cops are more likely just to let you go.

no kids, eh?

Upvote 0

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course not; you be crazy to want to give life to people in this screwed up world. Id just creating more people to create more problems for this problematic world. Having kids just to fill this empty void from lack of happiness or self expectation derived from worldly values and desires is not a good thing.

Also, marijuana is way safer than alcohol is; yet most people don't have a problem with having both kids and a beer in the fridge/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Look, I don't know what the answer is. All I am saying is any law made that does not have the children in mind is a bad law.

What are you, Nancy Pelosi?

How about $100 x # of Oz fine every time you get caught with pot? The penalty never goes up or down, and the only jail time required are for those who can not pay in a reasonable amount of time.

As a smoker myself, I'ld be happy with that. Might even prefer that over full legalization.

Exactly, by allowing other people freedom to do what they want, you accept being partly responsible for the consequences that will ensue.

No. You are responsible for youself, no one else.

Stick it to free will, but the will isn't freer than the fact that you can calculate that abortions will happen if you allow it to be legal. You can't wash your hands, even though it is understandable that you would make feeble rhetoric attempts out of self-justification.

Do fascist tendencies know no depths?

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

May 26, 2009
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

As a smoker myself, I'ld be happy with that. Might even prefer that over full legalization.

AND it would still keep it of the coffee tables when kids are present and hopefully not smoked in front of them (cause you know how those kids will talk at school).

Upvote 0

BotanicalBob

Apr 13, 2010
✟15,966.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
AND it would still keep it of the coffee tables when kids are present and hopefully not smoked in front of them (cause you know how those kids will talk at school).

Actually, it'ld make it even easier for them to get it right now.

You want to make it hard for kids to get it. Legalize, regulate. You have to be 18 to by cigs, 21 to buy beer, no age limit for weed. And if you go to school, you know someone who knows someone who can get you anything you want.

Upvote 0