USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Quite the case. Which is foremost and most importantly why the message of the gospel is Christ crucified. The law works on hearts that are already filled with the gospel.

Bingo. God loved the world so much that He sent His beloved Son to suffer and die, and rise again, in atonement for the sin of the world.

There's a schmaltzy but still very meaningful little parable that was going around a few years ago:

"How much do you love me, Jesus?" I asked.

"This much," He answered, and stretched out his arms...

On the Cross.

God's love and forgiveness, His ardent desire to have us come into a relationship with Him, -- that's the Good News.

So why then do those who call themselves evangelical (not Lutherans but conservative Protestants) feel the only thing worth preaching is their opinion of what the Bible calls sin.

The message is Jesus. He's the Way. He's the Truth. He's new Life.

Not the Bible or some selective lawcode of commandments extracted from it, and reinterpreted according to fundyspeak.

I care less about someone else's sex life than I do about whether they know Christ.

For if they do, then the Holy Spirit will come and indwell them. And He and He alone convicts of sin -- as He sees fit to do so.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree.

However, I have been a practicing, observant Christian, all my life, brought up in a Christian(ish) household... so I've always had some basic grounding in it, why its good to be cool with God and so on...

However, to people without my background, who grow up in atheist or secular households, when they go out looking for spiritual explanations to complete them (as a good many do) and the Christians they encounter are from the "you're an evil sinner and you're WRONG about EVERYTHING, no I won't defend my beliefs with facts, if you don't believe me you're going to HELL" brand of Christian (who are, sadly, some of the loudest and easist to find) I can understand why someone without a Christian grounding, quite understandibly, says "well bugger THAT for a game of soldiers, I'm off to play with the Wiccans"

I understand how that can be. I've been there myself plenty of times and it wasn't cool, to say the least. And because of it, there've been times when I nearly walked away from the faith. All becaue people who say they're your brothers and sister act like your worst enemy. THey're quick to tell you what your'e doing wrong but are slow about offering actual help and encouragement. No, they 'encouraged' me with hell and what not. Yes, sin is wrong and you're in trouble if you keep up in it without ever repenting. Along with that, BE GENTLE AND OFFER TO HELP THAT PERSON BY BEING THERE WHEN HE/SHE NEEDS YOU. Rightfully do the scriptures say that those who are SPIRITUAL (led by the Holy Spirit) to restore a sinning brother or sister to fellowship again. Sometimes you gotta be careful who you go to for help and encouragement because not all christians are Spirit led. Not saying they're wrong or anything. Just that it helps a great deal to be led by the Holy Spirit. Things get done right the first time. Amen? :)

Oh, I can tell you even before I got saved, I was 23 at the time and was working at Select Comfort (airbed store) One of my co-workers was a christian young man (John) who was passionate about christianity and truth. We were talking about some things and I recall there was a friend of his (dont' know her name) there with us at the time. I was talking about going back to church and said "My family goes to that church so I think it'd be cool for all fo us to attend the same church", or something along those lines. You wanna know what she said? "Well, you shouldn't go to church just becaue of your family." I thought to myself (now, mind you, this is before I got saved) "Who in the %$#*&^$ $#@* does this chick think she is?! Does she know me?!" I about told her about herself and then some! You see what I'm saying? ^_^ There were a great number of other things christians have said to me: from the clothes I wore to the man that I choose to have a relationship with (he was white and evidently was a big deal to some), so the life I led. They meant well, but their approach was WAY off.

So yeah, I can definately understand what you're saying EP.

But you and I know full well that the day will come when all will have to give an account for themselves. The blame game won't be acceptable to God at that time. Even now, it's not.

Btw, I enjoy talking with you, EP. It's calm, civilized and gentle. :)

Upvote 0