• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Is smoking marijuana a sin?

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by Believer000, Dec 11, 2020.

1. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+2,597
    Christian
    Private
    Coffee? Or is your source of addition from something else?

2. lsume

lsume Well-Known Member Supporter

+526
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That truth is one that most do not see. The slide America has taken because of sinful legislation has its own fruit.

3. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+3,424
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Do cheeseburgers or green shirts make you stoned? Does a whistle or bean bag chair alter your brain biochemistry, diminishing good judgment in the way toking does? Are you tempted to resort to wearing a green shirt when anxious rather than learning to trust in God, as people are tempted to do with pot?

4. lsume

+526
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The interesting thing about it is that willful disobedience is sin. If you think your being disobedient then to continue is willful. Willful sin carries a strong penalty. However, until someone is Truly born again, they generally can’t See or Hear. There is a fair amount of Scripture on the topic.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+4,580
    Christian
    Basically, I draw the line at pre-workout formulas. There's other stimulants in there that I just wouldn't touch.

Anything else is fair game. The gold standard for me is a high quality chilled coffee with a caffeine content declaration listed somewhere on the label. I won't consume blindly oddly enough - I like to know exactly what I'm getting.

So it's a controlled thing at least. Over the years I've gotten to know my tolerance.

6. SunAndRain

SunAndRain New Member

+38
    United States
    Christian
    Divorced
    If you are high (or drunk), you shouldn’t/can’t drive, plus your judgment is impaired.

This means you have made yourself unavailable in an emergency to help a neighbor or your spouse or child or other relative. (Or a stranger who needs you.) Anyone’s broken foot, suicidal feelings, detached retina, urgent need for a quick ride or for an advocate or for wisdom—you’re no longer qualified and available.

You have removed yourself from their pool of “people who have my back.”

7. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,822
    Christian
    Single
    Big sin, and just because it may be legal in some areas, doesn't mean it is not sin. Just one of many for instances would be, fornication is legal in the US, but still a serious sin according to God.

So you know its' not just my opinion, do a search on "Pharmakeia" where you will find tons of info, but briefly, here is the definition:

• the use or the administering of drugs
      • poisoning
      • sorcery, magical arts, often found in connection with idolatry and fostered by it
      • metaph. the deceptions and seductions of idolatry

And we know sorcery is a big sin, but I'll let you research it from there.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. ReesePiece23

+4,580
    Christian
    The more drugs you take OFF the black market the BETTER in my opinion. I'm an Amsterdam regular and actually, I see less marijuana consumption there than I do in London.

9. namohcam

namohcam New Member

+22
    United States
    SDA
    Private
    Amen! My wife works in the legal department of the county children and youth services office, and I can say for certain that children suffer unspeakable neglect and harm as a result of marijuana use by the parents, if you can call them parents.

10. lsume

+526
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It really doesn’t do much for me especially after having it prescribed for so long. I honestly don’t see why there is such a big penalty for it. It seems that police departments are out getting illegal growers which in essence is protecting the legal growers. However when you consider that those men and women on the police force are risking their lives to protect legal growers, it seems meaningless.

11. John Helpher

John Helpher John 3:16 Supporter

+391
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Mark 7:15 "There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man."

No, it's not sinful in itself. But, then again, eating icecream could be sinful if it's contrary to what God wants for you. Anything could be sinful if it's contrary to what God wants. There are guidelines, but there is no formula which can apply to all circumstances for all people for all time; that was the problem with the law. Having standards isn't a problem, but a lack of flexibility in how those standards should be applied is.

Smoking definitely comes with health risks which needed to be carefully considered, but as someone else on this thread pointed out, there are edibles which eliminate the risk of taking smoke into the lungs and therefore do not harm the body.

There are other considerations like medical use as a kind of anesthetic, or mood modifier, or pain reliever. There are many man made drugs out there which are meant to achieve the same midical goals and which really are much more dangerous than THC. There are some people who actually have to take a wide variety of medications to counteract the dangerous side effects of a different medication they take. I mean, look at the list of potential side effects for some of these drugs; they are very risky.

I think most people, when it comes to a consideration of marijuana, do so from the perspective of respectability; marijuana is not a respectable drug. It is associated with pot heads who don't know what's happening around them, etc. All their talk about the "temple of the Lord" and addiction don't apply to those other more dangerous drugs I just mentioned because those other drugs are a respectable part of normal system living.

In other words, it's easy to be self-righteous about marijuana because of the cultural bias they have toward it.

• List
  12. ReesePiece23

+4,580
    Christian
    Frustrating...

Honestly, more effort should be spent trying to rid the world of heroin. Cannabis you can debate forever, but heroin is the devil himself. I don't care what anyone says, I've seen some AWFUL things on the streets as a result of people shooting that junk. Things that'll honestly haunt me forever.

In the grand scheme of things, cannabis is harming no one by comparison. You just become an unmotivated slob on certain strains, it won't kill you like heroin will.

Drug reform is a good way to go. Just because it's legal DOESN'T mean you have to take it; it just cleans the streets and makes it safer for the folk who are GOING to take it anyway. I'd argue that alcohol is worse. My grandfather was barely 60 when he died - ALL due to alcohol. I can't say I know ANYONE who died as a result of cannabis. It's actually improved more lives than it's ruined - at least in my observation.

13. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+4,582
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Im not sure it’s the result of sinful legislation or just society in general. It seems that there’s been an element of rebellion in the youth of each generation always moving closer and closer towards immortality and ungodliness. Like slowly over time sin has become progressively more and more accepted by society and it seems to progress through the youth in each generation. That’s what I see anyway.

14. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+6,098
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Some of the most brilliant, disciplined, and successful people I know use “dope”, in moderation. It’s those who become addicted and abuse it who see harmful effects. Those effects are pretty specific however and still don’t make anyone dumb. They have short term memory loss and lack of motivation, as well as emotional numbing which stunts maturity. What is notable to me is that every marijuana addict I’ve known was bound to be some kind of addict and marijuana seems to be the least harmful of the substances they could have chosen. Even food addiction is more harmful in my view. Alcohol addiction is by far the most pervasive and harmful to society, causing death and abuse and destroying families.

15. aiki

aiki Regular Member

+3,424
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    My younger brother was, for fifteen years, deep into the drug culture, using cocaine and various other illicit drugs regularly. He explained to me that at virtually every party he was at where drugs were used (which was most of them), there was always one or two drug dealers present who would use marijuana to soften up people before introducing them to harder, more addictive drugs. Frequently, they would offer pot for free, knowing that it would allow them to introduce the harder stuff to people who would normally avoid it. This was how my brother got hooked on the harder drugs.

I've discipled a number of guys who were one-time hard drug users and their stories parallel that of my younger brother. One of the fellows I discipled had been a very serious drug dealer, spending nearly a decade in prison for his involvement in procuring and distributing hard drugs and then collecting (violently) on drug debts. He, too, explained to me that pot was a common gateway drug, used often in conjunction with alcohol to lure a person into using heroin, coke, crystal meth and such.

I've never heard, though, of bean-bag chairs, or green shirts, or cheeseburgers used this way. Funny, that, eh? In getting a person to snort a line of coke, it seems sitting in a bean-bag chair, wearing a green shirt and eating a cheeseburger all at the same time doesn't work nearly as well as smoking some weed.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • List
  16. Loversofjesus_2018

Loversofjesus_2018 Well-Known Member

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Would consuming products with sugar in them be a sin as well since sugar is addictive according to certain studies?

17. TheWordIsOne101

TheWordIsOne101 Member

+47
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    [QUMarijuana OTE="Believer000, post: 75586840, member: 407396"]Opinions?. I''m asking for a friend. Thank you[/QUOTE]

Marijuana makes an idol mind for Satan, what you put in, is what makes your mind

18. Daniel Martinovich

Daniel Martinovich Friend Supporter

+548
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yes

19. Loversofjesus_2018

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Is caffeine a sin as well since it’s addictive?

20. Loversofjesus_2018

+195
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Why except caffeine?