Jacksonville
✟9,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I feel like God is punishing me with singleness. In college I had random encounters with women but it never felt right. It was just what everybody else was doing. After 5 intimate encounters I just stopped dating altogether. I repented and am now a born again fundamental Christian now but I feel so isolated. I haven’t had a girlfriend since I was 20 and I’m now 27. I wish I could take it all back and have stayed true to Christ but it’s too late. How can I date any girl when I’m stained like this. When I was a virgin, I didn’t want to date a girl that wasn’t and I wouldn’t want to ruin the life of a girl now who had stayed pure for Christ. I don’t deserve her and she doesn’t deserve me.

When I go to church, it’s as if I’m a leper because everybody my age is married. I don’t belong in the college singles crowd but I’m too young to be in the over 30. I’m tired of being a third wheel so going out with married couples is just a lesson in depression. I’m very mature in my faith and know the scriptures. I go to traditional churches but of course there’s nobody my age there because they’re all in seeker friendly churches. For those who think I’m “overlooking a good girl somewhere in my life, there are NONE in my church. The “myth” that that are no single men in the church and it’s all pretty young women waiting for suitors is false. There’s 10 single guys in my Bible study. I don’t want to go there just to meet girls my age because they won’t be spiritually mature. Some claim to be Christians but are still harlots. Why should I compromise on my congregational choices?

I can’t stand the sermons that are always about being married and “how difficult it is to resist temptation.” It makes me so angry because if I could only be in a relationship I would do anything to make it work. Those that think it’s too hard to make their marriage work should try being single for 7+ years. Or even 1 year! I don’t want to hear that these selfish people are tempted to cheat when they don’t even know how good they have it. Especially if they have children!

Im a good looking guy, fit and I make good money. It’s the mans job to seek a wife so maybe it’s my fault I haven’t found one yet. Here’s my main problem with dating. I know God is not concerned with who we date as long as they are a Christian. What I mean is, there are no such things as “soul mates.” Theres is no perfect person out there for us. When we get married, we are to make it work. That being said, I wish my dates were more structured. I wish we could go back to parents getting together and suggesting good dating partners for their children. That’s not an option for me because my parents don’t really go to church or have friends like that. But it was so much easier back when there were less denominations and churches only split up when they were too big to hold everybody.

So it’s almost as if I just have to use dating websites and “pick” one of the girls on there. Obviously that’s not exactly how it goes but I get along with a lot of people so it’d be like I marry the first girl I get along well with. I don’t know anybody who has gotten married through a dating app though. They’ve all been through fate and they make perfect couples. I have more secular friends than Christian friends because they think there’s something wrong with me because I am single. I agree with them, I’m a failure.

Being single is NOT a blessing! It doesn’t say that ANYWHERE in the Bible! I don’t care what Paul said, he had to be single in order to be a good apostle in his situation. I want to be married. Don’t tell me to enjoy being single because it’s been almost a decade. People should not lie to themselves, there’s no biblical basis for remaining single in order to get a good career or to explore the world before settling down like all the millennials do nowadays. That’s a good way to end up single forever as well when all the good men and women are taken. All those youthful adventures won’t comfort you in your old age. The secular world has ruined people’s lives, especially women, by telling them to focus on career and start families later. Man was not made to be alone.

Basically, I feel like I ruined those girls lives and my own through fornication and will be single forever now. I had my chance with my past girlfriends so why do I deserve another?

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel like God is punishing me with singleness. In college I had random encounters with women but it never felt right. It was just what everybody else was doing. After 5 intimate encounters I just stopped dating altogether. I repented and am now a born again fundamental Christian now but I feel so isolated. I haven’t had a girlfriend since I was 20 and I’m now 27. I wish I could take it all back and have stayed true to Christ but it’s too late. How can I date any girl when I’m stained like this. When I was a virgin, I didn’t want to date a girl that wasn’t and I wouldn’t want to ruin the life of a girl now who had stayed pure for Christ. I don’t deserve her and she doesn’t deserve me.

When I go to church, it’s as if I’m a leper because everybody my age is married. I don’t belong in the college singles crowd but I’m too young to be in the over 30. I’m tired of being a third wheel so going out with married couples is just a lesson in depression. I’m very mature in my faith and know the scriptures. I go to traditional churches but of course there’s nobody my age there because they’re all in seeker friendly churches. For those who think I’m “overlooking a good girl somewhere in my life, there are NONE in my church. The “myth” that that are no single men in the church and it’s all pretty young women waiting for suitors is false. There’s 10 single guys in my Bible study. I don’t want to go there just to meet girls my age because they won’t be spiritually mature. Some claim to be Christians but are still harlots. Why should I compromise on my congregational choices?

I can’t stand the sermons that are always about being married and “how difficult it is to resist temptation.” It makes me so angry because if I could only be in a relationship I would do anything to make it work. Those that think it’s too hard to make their marriage work should try being single for 7+ years. Or even 1 year! I don’t want to hear that these selfish people are tempted to cheat when they don’t even know how good they have it. Especially if they have children!

Im a good looking guy, fit and I make good money. It’s the mans job to seek a wife so maybe it’s my fault I haven’t found one yet. Here’s my main problem with dating. I know God is not concerned with who we date as long as they are a Christian. What I mean is, there are no such things as “soul mates.” Theres is no perfect person out there for us. When we get married, we are to make it work. That being said, I wish my dates were more structured. I wish we could go back to parents getting together and suggesting good dating partners for their children. That’s not an option for me because my parents don’t really go to church or have friends like that. But it was so much easier back when there were less denominations and churches only split up when they were too big to hold everybody.

So it’s almost as if I just have to use dating websites and “pick” one of the girls on there. Obviously that’s not exactly how it goes but I get along with a lot of people so it’d be like I marry the first girl I get along well with. I don’t know anybody who has gotten married through a dating app though. They’ve all been through fate and they make perfect couples. I have more secular friends than Christian friends because they think there’s something wrong with me because I am single. I agree with them, I’m a failure.

Being single is NOT a blessing! It doesn’t say that ANYWHERE in the Bible! I don’t care what Paul said, he had to be single in order to be a good apostle in his situation. I want to be married. Don’t tell me to enjoy being single because it’s been almost a decade. People should not lie to themselves, there’s no biblical basis for remaining single in order to get a good career or to explore the world before settling down like all the millennials do nowadays. That’s a good way to end up single forever as well when all the good men and women are taken. All those youthful adventures won’t comfort you in your old age. The secular world has ruined people’s lives, especially women, by telling them to focus on career and start families later. Man was not made to be alone.

Basically, I feel like I ruined those girls lives and my own through fornication and will be single forever now. I had my chance with my past girlfriends so why do I deserve another?

The bolded, "I hear ya brother"...although, there's some area of the Bible saying that "being single is a good thing" but there's another area of the Bible that says something like "It's not good for a man to be alone"

Quite the contradiction.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Being single can be painful. I have been there. I am sorry you're having so much difficulty.

Don't be so hard on yourself for your past actions. Repent and trust our Lord's forgiveness. Also, pray for the women you were with. God is more than capable of restoring the years the locusts have eaten, so to speak (Joel 2:25).

I know it feels like you will be single forever. But, it takes time for God to bring people together. Pray that you will become the right person for your future mate, and that your future mate will become the right person for you. So, spend this time in-between focusing on the person God intends for you to become.

God is the God of second chances (and more than that). Believe that for yourself. God isn't punishing you. If anything, God is preparing you, forming you into the person you need to be not only for a future relationship, but also for the good works God has prepared for you. Be kind to yourself, because God loves you. And remember, the same One who is to be our judge is the same One who gave his life so that we would have life through Him. If He loves you and is gracious to you, you should be gracious to yourself.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Greetings,

I feel like God is punishing me with singleness.

For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it. —Matthew 19:12

God isn’t punishing you. Our assignments have a greater purpose. Marriage is rarely the lone one we have. Singleness is a gift for some with the requisite spiritual desire to weather it and a cross for others.

I repented and am now a born again fundamental Christian now but I feel so isolated.

It is probable your choice of traditional churches have exacerbated your feelings. Many emphasize marrying young.

I’m very mature in my faith and know the scriptures.

But you believe God is punishing you with singleness when there’s no biblical support for that theory. The heart is deceitful and feelings aren’t facts.

There’s 10 single guys in my Bible study. I don’t want to go there just to meet girls my age because they won’t be spiritually mature. Some claim to be Christians but are still harlots. Why should I compromise on my congregational choices?

How do you know their maturity and sexual behavior? Have you considered the challenges a woman accepts by choosing you? It isn’t a one-sided dilemma.

Spiritual maturity imparts a deeper understanding of grace and inspires humility and patience towards others’ shortcomings. You choose love and kindness over judgment. That’s how happy marriages are formed.

Those that think it’s too hard to make their marriage work should try being single for 7+ years.

Most of the members of this forum have met that mark and exceeded it.

Or even 1 year! I don’t want to hear that these selfish people are tempted to cheat when they don’t even know how good they have it. Especially if they have children!

If you can’t stomach seven years of denial, how will you survive the absence of fulfillment in your marriage? No one will meet every want and need you possess. Will you bear up or unravel?

People should not lie to themselves, there’s no biblical basis for remaining single in order to get a good career or to explore the world before settling down like all the millennials do nowadays.

No two paths are the same. God’s gifts and callings are not identical. What He asks of you may differ from the path He’s laid for another.

That’s a good way to end up single forever as well when all the good men and women are taken.

That isn’t true. Fear and scarcity may lead you to feel you’re missing out. But that’s never the case.

I think you should spend your energy going deeper in God. Marriage isn’t a cure-all. It brings a lot of issues to the fore that you never noticed until the other brought them out.

Marriage is a slice of God’s pie. Not the whole kahuna.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I don’t want to go there just to meet girls my age because they won’t be spiritually mature. Some claim to be Christians but are still harlots.

If that's how you're labelling women then I don't think it's a good idea right now for you to be in a relationship with one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HisGraceAbounds

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2019
Central Illinois
✟267,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I don't think being single is God's way of punishing you. Maybe you need to be single right now for some greater purpose you aren't aware of. Maybe your steps are being directed to the one who will change your status to something other than single.

Maybe you've just got a chip on your shoulder and it's off-putting to women and that's why you're single.

Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Solomon claimed that getting a wife was finding favour with God:

Proverbs
22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord.

I find that hard to believe though,even heathen men find wives.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brother, you need to take time and cultivate your relationship with God before pursuing romantic involvement with a woman. Trust God. The dividends of sowing those faith seeds in your own heart and getting some intimate experiences with Christ will pay off if you continue with the Word. Just these few years going solo is not to be compared with the glory of what's to come IF you remain faithful and wait. Of course, it's sad to say. I know you're not going to do this. But I'm putting it out there anyway.

P.S. You have a warped view of the Father if you think your singleness is God's punishment to you. Testing, maybe. But you've got a long way to go.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2019
Jacksonville
✟9,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If that's how you're labelling women then I don't think it's a good idea right now for you to be in a relationship with one.

I mean the girls in seeker churches. There’s no doubt that men and women who would rather have their ears tickled than hear the word of God also don’t follow his commandments. Not all girls are that way. Clearly, I was as a man, hence the point of the article.

too be sure, any church that takes a stand on sound biblical issues isn’t going to be very popular with people. But it’s the one I’m going to be in and hopefully my future wife will be as well

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 24, 2019
Jacksonville
✟9,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Solomon claimed that getting a wife was finding favour with God:

Proverbs
22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the Lord.

I find that hard to believe though,even heathen men find wives.

Well, he did find both favor with God and many wives. I’d be happy with just 1 wife

Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I mean the girls in seeker churches.

That doesn't make your use of the word any better. You might disagree with those churches but that doesn't mean you should go around using derogatory terms to refer to people who attend them.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2019
Jacksonville
✟9,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That doesn't make your use of the word any better. You might disagree with those churches but that doesn't mean you should go around using derogatory terms to refer to people who attend them.

Are these verses derogatory? I personally know people who go to these lukewarm churches and if they quack like a duck, walk like a duck, well...

“There shall be no harlot of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭23:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭6:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Depends on your perspective. Some would even go so far as to say that *marriage* is God's punishment. Marrying the wrong kind of woman would probably feel like punishment to me, so I'm selective about who I date.

I'd rather have a happy marriage later in life than a miserable one now.

Do your parents have a good marriage? Sometimes, I think it's easy for whose do to fall into the trap of thinking that marriage is necessarily a wonderful thing. It certainly can be, if you find somebody with whom you have what it takes to make it work. However, not everyone is so fortunate.

A little patience can go a long way.

• Agree
Reactions: OffGrid
Upvote 0

Citanul

May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,842.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Are these verses derogatory? I personally know people who go to these lukewarm churches and if they quack like a duck, walk like a duck, well...

“There shall be no harlot of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.”

“What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.”

Those verses are using the word for it's proper meaning (i.e. a prostitute) and not as an insult, so the context is completely different . If you don't understand why it's not appropriate to call women harlots because you don't like the church they attend then being single isn't your only problem.

• Agree
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I was almost 28 when I got married. and that was 40 yrs ago. So don't despair that your 27. I do remember having some of the same feelings back then that you are feeling today.

1st I'd say that fornication is no different than any other sin. So what are you concentrating on a sin that was 7ish years ago as being so bad when I assume you have committed a few sins this year? We are all sinners and your future wife will be in the same box you have put yourself in.

I hear 1/3 of people are finding their spouse on a dating app these days. So I don't see any reason not to spend some time looking for your future wife there.

I'd say got out there and find the woman you want to be your wife!

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Daniel C

Nov 22, 2018
England
✟23,768.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

No they are not. harlot is just standard Biblical language. Because of the heathen influence around us in Western nations our own faith has come under pressure to capitulate to the non-Biblical way of life and code of conduct,which is dictated by the heathen culture.

Some Christians are so far gone that not only have they adopted the heathen Pagan ways of life but they attack Christian identity because of a personal identity mismatch with the Bible.

Gods language is only unclean to the those who don't know him.

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2019
Jacksonville
✟9,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Depends on your perspective. Some would even go so far as to say that *marriage* is God's punishment. Marrying the wrong kind of woman would probably feel like punishment to me, so I'm selective about who I date.

I'd rather have a happy marriage later in life than a miserable one now.

Do your parents have a good marriage? Sometimes, I think it's easy for whose do to fall into the trap of thinking that marriage is necessarily a wonderful thing. It certainly can be, if you find somebody with whom you have what it takes to make it work. However, not everyone is so fortunate.

A little patience can go a long way.

my parents are divorced and so are my grandparents. Failed relationships are a generational curse that has plagued my family and maybe the reason I’m still single is because I have no good role model for marriage. I don’t just want to get married though, I want to be a father.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟381,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
my parents are divorced and so are my grandparents. Failed relationships are a generational curse that has plagued my family and maybe the reason I’m still single is because I have no good role model for marriage. I don’t just want to get married though, I want to be a father.
Or maybe the reason is that you will break the curse. I pray that you get your wish, and that you find a woman who will be a good mother to your children.

Upvote 0