Is Showing Cleavage Immodest? What Does the Bible Say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

live4grace

Feb 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟16,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
c1ners said:
You know what I think is funny?
Men constantly complain that women show too much of their bodies, and therefore cause them to sin.
But....if we cover ourselves from head to toe, men complain that we are not trying to look our best.
It's a no win situation.
Dress how YOU think it pleases God.
I don't think it's right for a man to blame a woman for their own impurities.
However, women do need to dress as modestly as they can. Not for men, but for GOD!

Bingo!! You got it. Men have to train their eyes and get their minds on higher things, absoLUTEly. And God, of COURSE, is the focus.

:amen: :amen: :amen:

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And so, dear Christian friends, I plead with you to give your bodies to GOD. Let them be a living and HOLY sacrifice-the kind he will accept. When you think of what HE has done for you, is this too much to ask? Don't copy the behaviour and customs of this world, but let GOD transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what GOD wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect HIS WILL really is.

GOD AS WE READ THY HOLY WORD FROM ROMANS 12:1-2 PLEASE HELP US TO REMEMBER:

XEven though you can't see Him, GOD is there!O
( click on the X and move to the O ) ( then feel who is around you ) steven

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
c1ners said:
You know what I think is funny?
Men constantly complain that women show too much of their bodies, and therefore cause them to sin.
But....if we cover ourselves from head to toe, men complain that we are not trying to look our best.
It's a no win situation.
My wife complains because I almost always say as long as your comfortable with what your wearing. Now i find out that I'm supposed to be making things difficult by saying both your wearing too much and your not wearing enough. Man I can never get it right! :D

ps please forgive my poor humour

Upvote 0

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟10,195.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I think if we are strong in the Lord then nothing should bother us. We cannot judge someone else for what they wear. I think its down to the women not liking their husbands looking and peering down another womans top. I for one have noticed my husband quite happily looking at a large breasted woman and when I wear a low cut top he tells me to cover up.

We should all be who we are. Men cant compete in the chest area ( or can they ...lol. ) My husband always sticks his chest out when he walks past a woman.
We all know what we are doing to attract the opposite sex.

I have noticed this thread has attracted alot of people. ( I wonder why )

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2006
Mississippi
✟15,118.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
jacquidube said:
I think if we are strong in the Lord then nothing should bother us. We cannot judge someone else for what they wear. I think its down to the women not liking their husbands looking and peering down another womans top. I for one have noticed my husband quite happily looking at a large breasted woman and when I wear a low cut top he tells me to cover up.

We should all be who we are. Men cant compete in the chest area ( or can they ...lol. ) My husband always sticks his chest out when he walks past a woman.
We all know what we are doing to attract the opposite sex.

I have noticed this thread has attracted alot of people. ( I wonder why )
Now that we have flamed women and blamed and unblamed them for men's temptations (doesn't this sound a lot like Adam telling God that Eve made him do it?), what do you all say to guys who:

Wear tight pants with a tight t-shirt exposing the buttocks and chest?

Wear shorts or pants only as high as the knees?

Wear very short shorts, very tight, with a muscle-shirt tucked in at the bottom?

Let's turn those table around and see if our responses are the same as the cleavage issue. Do we cause women to lust? Or do women seek what they will? Don't we all seek the things we desire?

If all a person sees are breasts, butts, and chests; does it really matter what the viewed subject's attire consists of? And, if one person is not being looked at, isn't it another who is lusted after?
That being asked and answered, now do we not only worry about our own appearances, but also of others?

I prefer forcing the individual to ask him/her self questions instead of just giving opinions. My opinions, like anyone else's, are purely relative and are, for the most part, entertaining. Note this: God punished BOTH Adam and Eve for their transgressions. Eve tempted Adam, and the serpent tempted Eve. None of that matters when the truth is that sin is not the only road that has been laid before us, but the road we most often choose to walk on (some dance gaily along it). It looks better, feels better, sounds better, tastes better, and gives us a place to run and hide--its garden grows leaves with which we may wrap our sins and keep them hidden--at least from our own eyes.

I have this to offer:
Adam, Eve did indeed present you with a beautiful, gleeming piece of juicy fruit. You probably smelled its sweet essence and it made your mouth water and stomach cringe with hunger. But YOU, my beloved, have sinned by partaking of the things you ought not.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Friends in CHRIST

Men and Women are no different than animals with one GOD GIVEN exception that animals don't have.

The ability to reason and serve GOD.

BUT

Take that away and we do the very SAME as animals in the mating season.

We want the biggest boobs for the babes. We want a GOOD looking creature that is pleasing to the eyes. We want one that is READY to breed.

It's called:

" SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST "

NOW THAT HAS NEVER BEEN TAKEN AWAY!!!

It is the reasoning power and serving GOD that makes us turn our eyes form that GORGISE CREATURE.

The more exposed or image shown, the animal takes over if not for a second. At least till we can get hold of ourselves.

Why is inappropriate content so attracting?
Naked bodies of the well built kind!! Animals festing
on a choice of potential mates!!! ( at least they wished ) That animal will give there monies and sin against GOD JUST FOR A LOOK SEE!!

Pretty strong instinct to procreate wouldn't you say?

NOW!!!

I guess it's just how much animal we want to show or look at!!!

NOW WHAT WOMEN OR MAN IS GOING TO DISAGREE WITH THE ANIMAL THEORY??? BARK,
BARK, BARK, GRRRRRR!!!

OHHH GOD WHEN THE ANIMAL COMES UPON US PLEASE HELP US TO REMEMBER:

XEven though you can't see Him, GOD is there!O
( click on the X and move to the O ) ( then feel who is around you ) steven

Upvote 0

jacquidube

Veteran
Jun 5, 2005
HERTFORDSHIRE
✟10,195.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
HA HA You are so funny wonderwayleye.

Deafeningsilence said "lets reverse the roles" thats cool. I for one get nothing out of looking at a guy with tight trousers with a pair of socks down there. ( if women can put in chicken fillets to boost there breast size then men can do the same to increase whatever bulges from their bodies.)

Do men cause me to lust? .....NO.
Do women cause me to lust ......... maybe. I am being honest here because when a woman sees another attractive woman it bothers her. How strange, but its true. I notice alot of women will look more at another woman than she would a man.
Men I dont think are as attractive as women. We have alot to play with concerning our bodies.

inappropriate content is not attractive ( yuk ) it is degrading. I must admit it does stir alot of things up concerning this "animal instinct" we just want to pounce and half the time it doesnt matter who its with.

I growl like a cat .....Grrrrrrr.......but sometimes I just Miaow.

Its one of the hardest things in life to turn away from.

Upvote 0

BGallagher

Apr 7, 2006
West Virginia
✟7,681.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dylan_Chica said:
if a man can't help but look, that's his problem, not yours.

In all reality, men do need to get a grip (no pun intended) on what their eyes gaze upon, but if you put the shoe on the other foot we could pose this question. If a guy is walking down the street with SOME of his parts hanging out, would you or would you not take a second glance. Even though you look only in disbelief that there is a guy in public with the lower portion of his PARTS hanging out, you would probably take a glance. There may be no lustful intent, but you'd probably look simply because you are human.

Now I know this is a stretch here, but my point is, that humans are by nature weak and are born sinners. We need to do our best to help build each other up and not to cause each other stumble.

The fact of the matter is that women have breasts and they have to put them somewhere. The big issue is the motivation behind it all. Is it that she has a large chest and unless she wears a turtle neck, which by the way will probably be skin tight and even more revealing if her chest is that large, that she can't help but show some cleavage or is it that she is desiring the attention it gets?

As stated in several other posts, it's about being modest, even though we have clearly shown that no one in here agrees what modest really is and means. And to that I'd ask, "What would Jesus do / think or say".

God Bless You All...
Bill

Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
holo said:
How come non-christians never seem to ask themselves questions like this, but instead apply common sense and normal consideration for others, and apparently do perfectly alright on a normal day?

Why would they ask? - non-christians put out hustler magazine, playboy, FHM, MAxime etc....

ahhh... as christians - I think we should care how what we do, dress, etc.... impact others

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
let me describe a recent gum magazine ad.
a girl with her back to you - a guy "hugging" her. he is pulling our of her back pocket - which is attached to a pair of paints which are oh ever so tightly fitted to a lady's rear end. she is wearing a tight "wife beater" shirt I think they are actually called "a" shirts - and the captio n reads.... everybody wants a piece.

sex sells! (an dI do not just mean intercourse) look at bear commercials, look at anything that is geared toward people mid-thirties and younger.

Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
as far as fashion goes..... there are very few christian designers - and those are not big time designers... definatley not the "head" designers fo tommy, or any of these other clothing lines. SO, these fashio designers - who have no interest in morals, or keeping things covered - are going to design to sell.

for women they design clothes for attraction - the know that the "prettier" or mor "attractive" that they can make a women look the better. and let's be honest - which is more "eye catching" a woman covered to her neck - or one with some cleavage showing?

Upvote 0

angielives4jesus

Feb 13, 2006
✟7,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
YouthPastor said:
as far as fashion goes..... there are very few christian designers - and those are not big time designers... definatley not the "head" designers fo tommy, or any of these other clothing lines. SO, these fashio designers - who have no interest in morals, or keeping things covered - are going to design to sell.

for women they design clothes for attraction - the know that the "prettier" or mor "attractive" that they can make a women look the better. and let's be honest - which is more "eye catching" a woman covered to her neck - or one with some cleavage showing?

Well, you see, this is the problem. Even T-Shirts these days show cleavage! It is so hard to find modest clothing that is even relatively age appropriate and attractive.:mad:

Upvote 0

AutumnDreamer

Jan 6, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟17,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
YouthPastor said:
let's be honest - which is more "eye catching" a woman covered to her neck - or one with some cleavage showing?

Yes let's be honest, and I ask my question again:

if you saw two women standing next too each other, one has a small chest and is wearing a shirt that shows a small amount of cleavage, the other has pamala anderson boobs and is wearing a snug tshirt showing no cleavage, which one are you more likely to look at?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
angielives4jesus said:
Well, you see, this is the problem. Even T-Shirts these days show cleavage! It is so hard to find modest clothing that is even relatively age appropriate and attractive.:mad:

as my username suggests, I am a youth pastor - so every know and then while shopping in the mall - i run through the junior section just to see what these designers and making for teen girls.

for the most part - let me be blunt - most of it makes them look like they hould be standing where they should not be standing

now that that is out of my system.... especially for those that wear juniors - I would agree that it is very hard.

BUT I guess I don;t know how my wife picks out her clothes - she shows NO cleavage - the clothes are not UP TO her neck - but high enough that is does not show anything (and she is not HUGE but not small either) and she is wearing fashionable stuff - probably not anything that is made by the people who make stuff for juniors. but one place she likes is cold water creek - EXCELLENT clothes - nice. and hardly anything in there is "revealing" I think I have seen very few things that would not be modest.

Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
AutumnDreamer said:
Yes let's be honest, and I ask my question again:

if you saw two women standing next too each other, one has a small chest and is wearing a shirt that shows a small amount of cleavage, the other has pamala anderson boobs and is wearing a snug tshirt showing no cleavage, which one are you more likely to look at?

personally - I would try not to loook at either - but that would be the pet answer - so, since you want an answer to one or the other, If I were to "look" at one of the two - it would be the first - the one that is small chested and is showing a small amount of cleavage.

Upvote 0

angielives4jesus

Feb 13, 2006
✟7,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
YouthPastor said:
as my username suggests, I am a youth pastor - so every know and then while shopping in the mall - i run through the junior section just to see what these designers and making for teen girls.

for the most part - let me be blunt - most of it makes them look like they hould be standing where they should not be standing

now that that is out of my system.... especially for those that wear juniors - I would agree that it is very hard.

BUT I guess I don;t know how my wife picks out her clothes - she shows NO cleavage - the clothes are not UP TO her neck - but high enough that is does not show anything (and she is not HUGE but not small either) and she is wearing fashionable stuff - probably not anything that is made by the people who make stuff for juniors. but one place she likes is cold water creek - EXCELLENT clothes - nice. and hardly anything in there is "revealing" I think I have seen very few things that would not be modest.
Believe me, I know that modest cute clothes are out there somewhere because most of the ladies in my church wear attractive modest clothing, but I'm just not sure where to find them. And I'm not advocating wearing clothing that shows cleavage! I HATE it! If I can't wear something in front of my dad and feel comfortable I won't wear it at all....what I'm saying is that it is very hard to find clothing that is modest and attractive. Especially for that awkward age I'm in....you know you shouldn't be shopping in the JR section anymore, but the Misses section is looking kinda frumpy.

Upvote 0

AutumnDreamer

Jan 6, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟17,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
YouthPastor said:
personally - I would try not to loook at either - but that would be the pet answer - so, since you want an answer to one or the other, If I were to "look" at one of the two - it would be the first - the one that is small chested and is showing a small amount of cleavage.

Why?

Upvote 0

YouthPastor

Name = Brett
Feb 11, 2003
Visit site
✟8,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
angielives4jesus said:
Believe me, I know that modest cute clothes are out there somewhere because most of the ladies in my church wear attractive modest clothing, but I'm just not sure where to find them. And I'm not advocating wearing clothing that shows cleavage! I HATE it! If I can't wear something in front of my dad and feel comfortable I won't wear it at all....what I'm saying is that it is very hard to find clothing that is modest and attractive. Especially for that awkward age I'm in....you know you shouldn't be shopping in the JR section anymore, but the Misses section is looking kinda frumpy.

Cold water creek has quite a few stores - I also have a bunch of links to online places. ask the women where they shop

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.