Is Showing Cleavage Immodest? What Does the Bible Say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asvin

Legend
Aug 13, 2010
✟24,934.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not talking about people wearing tight tops either. it would seem to me that you do not know much about variations in breast size. What the tv show So You Think You Can Dance. How many of those women have breasts. Most of them are very flat chested. If they wearn't flat chested then their breasts would fall out during routines. Same with some other activities. Some women have very large breasts. I know women who try and try to find clothes that aren't a tight fit and draw attention to their breasts. However in the end they have two choices. Either show some cleavage or have a tight fitting top. For some it just is not possible to do both. So with all due respect unless you are advocating surgery and are willing to put up the money to pay for the breast reduction surgery you should not try and make it appear black & white like you are.

i reckon it would depend on the shape of the body. that is why one can not make a hard and fast rule.

And also just to comment on an earlier post now that I have calmed down a bit. Rape is not about sex but rather about power.

This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think?

again the pot calling the kettle black! This thread has nothing at all to do with what the government requires. Also if you read her posts you will realise she is in a differnt country where there are different standards and different levels of acceptability. Really think about it. Why is it that in the US a movie with heaps of violence and swearing is more acceptable than a movie with no violence and little or no swearing but shows one picture of a breast for a couple of seconds.

Thanks for your perspective on this matter.. However, I don't want to carry the conversation, as I always get moderator warnings and what not in threads that have controversial issues!

God bless! :)

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seemed you were trying too hard to convince others that they're wrong, by countering one statement after another bing, bang, bong.

Thinking it's somewhat more fitting to employ the "whoever has ears, let them hear", approach in this forum anyway...

But I really do enjoy reading a lot of what you have to say...so this isn't meant to be an attack against you...if you'll review the last page or two, it was as though we had found a "sweet spirit" of sharing (finally), after what appeared to be quite of bit of back and forth, tit for tat attempts at semi-aggressively disputing each others viewpoints, beliefs, or convictions.

Hope this explains without offending.

wm
No offense taken at all WM. As I said i respect your opinion and therefore even though I did not believe you were right I was happy to hear it. What you said has caused me to stop and think.

I guess because I have had people who try and tell me that I'm asking questions because I'm feeling conflicted and they were way way off base I picked up on that point. I do often hear people when challenged about what they are teaching fall back on the "you must be conflicted about this issue" line. One should be able to defend what they preach not give a line like that to fob people off. I remember being on a camp for high school kids. The speaker made a statement and one of campers spoke up and said "my bible doesn't say that" The speaker turned to the leader of the camp for help during the following discussion and the leader simply said "You preach it so you defend it". In the end it was a irrelevent point. i think it was the colour of the robe put on Jesus at his crucifiction. I believe strongly that one should be able to defend what they preach. When I was younger I repeated what I was told and now realise some of it was wrong. I didn't think for myself. So I tend to follow that principle.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Is wearing tight jeans a sin then? Women have curves and God gave us those curves, why shouldn't we be proud of them?

That is an important point to make. I strongly suspect that it's a very limited understanding of human sexuality from a truly biblical basis, freed from gnostic concepts, that seems to almost demonise much that should be seen as healthy.

The verse in Matthew about looking being lustful is just so badly understood, and exerts a very negative influence over many people.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,738,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

CatHat4.jpg

The Statement of Purpose for Christian Advice reads:

Statement of Purpose

Christian Advice is a non-debate area where one may come to ask for Christian advice to a struggle they are encountering. Christian Advice is a Christian-Only area, but non-Christians may ask questions seeking for advice of a Christian nature. Christian advice is defined as advice which contains basic Christian principles and does not conflict with the site's Statement of Faith.
This is a non-debate forum, yet this became a debate that generated reports. So it is being closed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.