Sai Kung
✟17,658.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Is taking a legitimate/legal(a.k.a doesn't related to stealing) shortcuts or simple lifehacks a sin? For example if I am trying to complete a project in the internet and I'm using external tools to help or improve my project without using a lot of my time and effort.I asked this question because doing these things might be related to laziness which is a sin.

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're using someone else's alphabet to write your question - that would fall into the category of using an external tool that you did not invent or develop. So is using wheels. To say nothing of the internet. I suspect those acts didn't even occur to you as possible sins. Using them doesn't make you lazy. So I wonder what you did or are thinking of doing piqued your conscience...?

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is taking a legitimate/legal(a.k.a doesn't related to stealing) shortcuts or simple lifehacks a sin? For example if I am trying to complete a project in the internet and I'm using external tools to help or improve my project without using a lot of my time and effort.I asked this question because doing these things might be related to laziness which is a sin.

You dont have to lose your clear conscience by becoming a christian.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There are two types of religious person comparable to two cows in a field. The normal Christian cow chooses the most juicy and delicious clumps of grass to eat. The super-spiritual cow who is always concerned about her spiritual state before God decides that only the clumps of grass with cowpats on them are the only ones to eat to make her more spiritual.

Those who have ears to hear (or eyes to read) let them hear and read...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Hello, and welcome to CF. :) I pray you are blessed by being here.

To answer your question, no, why would making legitimate use of any tool God has provided, through the intelligence, skill, or inspiration given to another, be a sin?

It's not a sin to cut through the public park to get to the other side instead of walking all the way around either.

This kind of thinking will have you convinced you are doing something right before God to whip yourself.

There are some legitimate ascetical practices that are good for disciplining the flesh, and spiritually beneficial. If you have such concerns, you might try fasting, UNDER GUIDANCE (it can be easy to become prideful doing it on your own). But using something that makes you more efficient isn't lazy, it's smart. As long as no one is getting hurt and no laws broken, etc.

It is good to be aware of potential sins and temptations, but it's possible to focus too much on it as well and confuse yourself, thinking you sin in something when you don't, and too much of that can lead you to spiritual despair, which is difficult to overcome.

Start by focusing on the obvious sins.

Peace to you. :)

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I distinguish two different general principles with regards to "short cuts".
  1. I think working efficiently is a generally a good thing. It allows you to put in less time and resources to accomplish something. This frees that time and those resources to do other things. We all benefit when things are done more efficiently. Most people who have mastered a skill of any type have usually done so through learning efficiency in some form or other.
  2. Skipping necessary steps because of laziness is generally a bad thing. Liposuction to lose weight instead of exercise and good diet may change the scale reading but is unlikely to make you much healthier.

With regard to your particular questions related to an Internet project, there is a trade-off between getting work done and building skills and tools. I'm a physicist/mathematician/engineer who does a lot of programming. I've made a career out of figuring out how to get the computer to do the work for me (aka laziness :)). If there is something that I'm sure will only need to be done once or twice, I'll grab the quickest and easiest tools to just get it done. If there is something that will need to be done (with variations) many times, I will sometimes spend 50% to 200% more time initially to make it easier the next times. Other times, I make take a day or a week or so to learn a new language or new software package if it is a better tool. Having said this, I can program in several languages, can derive my own algorithms, write very maintainable code, and learn commercial software quickly. In other words, I've invested the hard work to become skilled at what I do, so that I know how to use short cuts to get a lot more done. I've been doing this for over 30 years now.

In my last job, I spent a couple months deriving equations for and learning how to do a particular set of tasks without using commercial software. The net result is that I can do the initial work on a project in an hour or two (instead of several hours using commercial software). I can then usually do variations of that project in a few minutes when something changes. The net result is that I can turn around this type of work faster than most people in the industry. I was fortunate to have had a boss at the time who was willing to cut me slack for the initial few months to create good tools.

The key is balancing when shorts cuts are cheating your development and when they are helping you get things done more effectively.

I think issues arise in the spiritual realm when we knowingly cheat others (doing shoddy paid work pretending it's better than it is) or something like that.

It is also possible for laziness (or procrastination) to be symptoms of things such as burnout or high stress levels.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you are lazy to do good deeds then that is a sin. Not the one you are talking about.

Upvote 0

AspieforGod

My Brother is Jesus!
Apr 16, 2017
Exeter
✟11,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Efficiency and ingenuity aren't sins of laziness.
Laziness is neglecting family or health for example rejecting responsibilities trusted to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MatthewGospel

Apr 20, 2017
Florida
✟764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Sloth is a sin.

Upvote 0