Is sex before premarital sex really sinful?

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay, I’ll play. Let’s to say that someone was single for a very long time (possibly due to them not finding the right connection) and they troubles that is an effect of not having sex (Nocturnal emission) how would you suggest they handle that? I’m sure I can come up with better situations but this came into my head first.
I don't think that is sin (lust). It's a natural body function.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you make the distinction for me?

Whats the difference between prostitution and premarital sex?
If I date a person and they decide to take me in for evening pleasures to say thanks, that is sex and prostitution. Intimacy for compensation in any form is prostitution.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's an elephant in the room that many Christians and churches won't address. which is that, at a certain age or point, abstinence simply becomes downright unreasonable.

It's one thing to tell teenagers or people in their 20s to abstain; people usually got married in their late teens in the Biblical era. But when believers are in their 30s, 40s, 50s or even 60s, abstinence is simply downright ridiculous and unreasonable.

Take the example of a Christian woman who doesn't get married until her 50s or even beyond (and yes, such women do exist - I know of one myself, personally.) Does this commandment literally mean that she should shouldn't have sex until getting married at, say, age 56? At that age, she has going through her entire child-fertility cycle without once having sex, thus preventing her from ever having biological children. It's an utter absurdity.

Sure, some will say, "Well, she should have gotten married sooner." But that's not always possible - sometimes, God simply does not bring the right spouse/person into one's life until one is fairly old - 40s, 50s or beyond. So one is supposed to remain sexless ALL THE TIME until then?
Yes

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If I date a person and they decide to take me in for evening pleasures to say thanks, that is sex and prostitution. Intimacy for compensation in any form is prostitution.

It’s prostitution because they said thank you? Lol

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You really have a reading problem. It's not the saying thank you, it's the payment. I just can't believe you're that dense.

You didnt say that they paid you in your scenario. Edit your story first and then Im free to discuss.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You didnt say that they paid you in your scenario. Edit your story first and then Im free to discuss.
What exactly do you think evening pleasures are?

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP, you'll find the man who's right for you when you're dating, pressured, and say "you're waiting for marriage"

anyone who only wants sex won't call again
the right person will respect you and ask you to marry

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What exactly do you think evening pleasures are?

A painting by Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot?

pleasures-of-the-evening-jean-baptiste-camille-corot.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that God's word is clear - that it is a sin. I've wrestled with this myself, since my husband and I had sex before we married. We will be married two years this May, and I justified it a lot in my mind, and so did he. But, I've been wholeheartedly reading the Bible again, and while I don't always like the teachings, they're for my best interests. God's warnings are for our best life, not to let us live a less than best life. His thoughts on sin are what they are. I could argue against them, but it doesn't change that sin is sin, and I should accept it, and repent when I commit one. I might not always agree with what I'm reading, but when I pray about it, and ask the holy spirit to provide me with insight, I've been coming away enlightened, and not bitter over what I've read.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. The reason I’m saying this is because during biblical times most engagements were set up by the spouses families and they weren’t allowed to meet each other until they married.
Where on earth did you get that????

Of course they knew each other, and had the right of refusal.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, I’ll play. Let’s to say that someone was single for a very long time (possibly due to them not finding the right connection) and they troubles that is an effect of not having sex (Nocturnal emission) how would you suggest they handle that? I’m sure I can come up with better situations but this came into my head first.
NE means you are talking about guys. Wet dreams.

There is NOTHING in scripture that says wet dreams are sinful, but only about 40% of guys can have them. (research from Paul Byerly)

So the rest of us guys have the same dreams but wake up JUST BEFORE (right on the very edge of) the "wet" part. That is a VERY BAD place to be if your theology does not allow for masturbating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see, so you're making no distinction between prostitution and simply premarital sex.
The bible calls consensual premarital sex "prostitution."

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Show me one verse in the the Song of Solomon that implies there was sex.
Um - that would be the WHOLE book.

Once you get thru the standard ancient mid east poetic euphemisms, you have seduction (on a mass scale), regular intercourse, manual sex, oral sex and masturbation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Intimacy for compensation in any form is prostitution.
Biblically, any consensual sexual intimacy between singles is prostitution, with or without payment.

Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Um - that would be the WHOLE book.

[Staff edit]. I took a look at this recently and there is nothing explicit at all, and certainly nothing that cannot be interpreted as much more innocent pleasures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I took a look at this recently and there is nothing explicit at all, and certainly nothing that cannot be interpreted as much more innocent pleasures.
[Staff edit]. Your opinion is based on nothing other than your own thoughts.

In the introduction to Song of Solomon in Benson's Commentary published circa 1860, the overt sexuality of the book was acknowledged; but said it should be never be understood in that light. (Victorianism)

Classic Rabbinic Judaism understood the sexuality of the book quite clearly. It was interpreted and expanded upon in the mystical writings of the Zohar and Tanya.

There is nothing of any "modern perspective" in what I say. It is an informed opinion from almost 3 millenia of Jewish and other mid eastern sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[Staff edit]. I took a look at this recently and there is nothing explicit at all, and certainly nothing that cannot be interpreted as much more innocent pleasures.
What in the world is an "innocent pleasure"?

Upvote 0