• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is secular therapy OK and does the NHS in the UK do biblical therapy?

StormInside

On my quest for the Holy Grail.
Aug 16, 2008
England
✟20,030.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
I'm in the UK, currently on the NHS waiting list for secular therapy for depression. However I've seen some stuff online that suggests that this is unsuitable for Christians as it ignores sin and makes excuses for behavioural problems. Is this true and if so does anyone know if the NHS does any kind of biblical therapy?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's true that, in general, secular therapy doesn't work in categories of sin and grace (although if they're important to the client they'll be taken into account, or should be).

I wouldn't say it "makes excuses" for behavioural problems, though.

There are a number of different types of therapy, or approaches. It would probably be helpful to ask your therapist what their approach is, and to do a bit of reading on that to get some understanding.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm not in the U.K but in Australia. i found that secular counselling very much tried to break me away from my faith in God and that most therapists i've seen had little or no concept of sin or its severity. However the counselling i received was still very helpful fighting my mental illness and i learned a lot about mindfulness and other useful techniques battling mental illness, including severe depression.

Despite the attacks on my Christianity i found that it helped me enormously to speak out of my faith and defend the truth of Scriptures. i've become a much stronger believer as a consequence of secular counselling.

If you are strong in your faith then don't let the word secular intimidate you. Christ uses all for good, worldly counselling included. Just be well aware what you take on board and what not and educate yourself on what technique they use.

Jesus' promise that He will never leave you nor forsake you remains true whoever you talk to. Keep your eyes on Him and get all the counselling you need.

Peace.

Upvote 0

StormInside

On my quest for the Holy Grail.
Aug 16, 2008
England
✟20,030.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
However the counselling i received was still very helpful fighting my mental illness and i learned a lot about mindfulness and other useful techniques battling mental illness, including severe depression..
Could you tell me a bit more about this so that I can decide whether I'd like to go through with it? Like what techniques they used? I really have no idea what it's going to involve.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It all depends who you get as counsellor. Most modern counsellors use some form of mindfulness as basis of their counselling. Where we learn to become mindful of our own thoughts and their consequences. It has greatly supported me fighting my depressed mind.

Like i said i really benefited from counselling even though i was attacked as a believer in the Lord. i think they just want to make sure you know what you believe for when i told them enough was enough it stopped.

Can you request a Christian counsellor? That would make it a lot easier on both of you.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't let the term 'secular' put you off too much.

Most professional counsellors are governed by a regulatory body and adhere to strict ethics and standards of conduct, including respecting your beliefs and values, your right to give or withhold consent to treatment, and your right to choice and self-determination. The therapeutic treatments they offer are based on the best clinical evidence that have been empirically validated.

• Agree
Reactions: roman2819
Upvote 0

roman2819

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm in the UK, currently on the NHS waiting list for secular therapy for depression. However I've seen some stuff online that suggests that this is unsuitable for Christians as it ignores sin and makes excuses for behavioural problems. Is this true and if so does anyone know if the NHS does any kind of biblical therapy?

If the therapy is approved by credible bodies or regulators, it doesn't matter if it is secular or not focusing on sins. I am sure God does not forbid us from seeking such secular therapy. I do have some advice regarding meditation: There may be good ones but be discreet.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I'm in the UK too, all we have here in Northern Ireland through the NHS seems to be Person / Client centred, CBT, and Group therapy. You could ask your GP, other regions of the UK may be different. Here is the NHS website:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/

There are audio resource counselling ministries such as Clay and Mary McLean, and Ministries of Pastoral Care (I am sure there are others)

McLean Ministries

Ministries of Pastoral Care

There is a website (not NHS) called counselling directory which lists quite a few therapists and counsellors in the UK, some of them christian.

Counselling Directory - Find a Counsellor Near You

also there is the Association of Christian Counsellors UK website:

Homepage | Association of Christian Counsellors

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums