Is secular Stoicism an acceptable demeanor for us when experiencing trials as a Christian ?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Especially as men, I mean.

In stead of just falling to pieces and crumbling do to life's various trials can Stoicism be a good option for us ?

I would call Stoicism a maladjustment, an overcompensation. You don't need that to be tough.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have understood that to be stoic means that I go through things without showing any emotion or feeling about things. I used to do that, but it was a way of being proud, showing off how no one else could effect me or control me.

Then I wanted to show how my religion was better than all the rest; so I would not show anger. But people could see my face turning red when I was angry :) So, I could see that wasn't working. lololololololol

Now I think I need to have emotions and feelings of love, not only about myself and what is happening to me. Care for others, feel for others, and have compassion and forgiveness for myself, too. The way to be stoic, in a way, would be not to give in to negative and nasty ways of anger and worry. But do care.

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin." (Hebrews 4:15)

So, Jesus feels for us; Jesus went through things of this life so now He can feel for us and help us with the grace which made Him able to do so well in everything.

And, like this, instead of only trying to control our emotions during a hard time, be busy with how we can use our experience to help us feel for others and help others with how God's grace helps us in troubles.

I see how Jesus cares what we are feeling and how we are reacting, but we need to get changed by God so our feelings and reactions are not only or mainly about our own selves and only certain others who might be close to us.

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" Jesus says in Matthew 5:46.

We need to care about any and all others, and not only certain favorites, then.

So, in love we do have feelings and emotions and we express these to others, but we are strong in God's love so we don't break down and keep on suffering.

So, may be Biblical stoicism would be how we do not allow negative and nasty feelings and emotions to get the better of us; but we do enjoy the feelings and emotions of compassionate love with forgiveness and creativity for how to do good with what comes against us.

Maybe we could call it selective stoicism, because we test and select what we go along with and what we refuse to submit to.

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice." (Ephesians 4:31)

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

If you are "thankful", that is emotional, isn't it?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly, secular stoicism would be for the protection mainly of the individual trying to stay calm and cool during a problem. But this would be only defensive.

A number of Christians understand that when we are in trouble, what can work is we be quiet and trust God to fight our battle. A popular scripture to feed on for this is Exodus 14:14 >

"'The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace.'" (Exodus 14:14)

So, we might seem stoic because we stay quiet during a trouble, but our posture is offensive . . . depending on God to deal with the problem.

And we can be very pleasing to our Father, while we be quiet. Because we are not only being silent, but deeply are trusting God and appreciating Him and glorifying Him as able to bring His own good out of any situation. So, our quietness is in rest and trust. And we have 1 Peter 3:4 about quietness which is pleasing to God >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

There is vengeful, spiteful silent treatment stuff; but one can be quiet in a sweet and kind and caring way, and ready for creative outcomes. Jesus on the cross was "sweet-smelling" while going through all that > and He is our example >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, and offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

It's not how you yell, but how you smell, that can communicate greatly with God.

And we see how the crucifixion of Christ was such a horrible thing that people did to Him; but God used it for such all-loving good.

Therefore, when we are quiet, let this be with love . . . all-caring . . . trusting how God all-loving will bring His results. Have you read and fed on what happened to Joseph . . . in Genesis chapters 37-50? Such horrible things were done to him; yet God did not only solve Joseph's problems, God gave Joseph a family, while God used Joseph to do good to many people . . . because God is all-loving and about family.

And in case you'd like to share about 13 minutes with me in Youtube, I did a devotional about being ruled by God in His peace > search with "p1QCRyQztLc". The exact title is "obey God in His peace".

Secular stoicism might tend to isolate a person in one's own ways of controlling one's own feelings and emotions. But if we be quiet in God's peace, we are not isolated but we discover sharing with God and one another as His family, while our Creator in His peace makes us creative with Him for how to love any and all people.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

In stead of just falling to pieces and crumbling do to life's various trials can Stoicism be a good option for us ?

May be what Colossians 2:21-23 was addressing in terms of taste not, touch not, handle not.

Would suggest 2 Corinthians 12:9 as an application, since when we boast of our weaknesses, Christ's power rests on us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Psalms, Job , Lamentations (Jeremiah)... all express emotional stress , joy, urgency etc when dealing with crisis, trials etc. Christ's life was accompanied with "strong crying and tears" Hebrews 5.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A stoic would look outwardly much like a Christian in times of trial, but the stoic's basis for strength is himself, while a Christian's basis of strength is Christ.

That's true.

One thing I've noticed that has helped me is that some of these stoic quotes kind of remind me of Biblical Verses but just worded in a different way and from a different perspective.

Kind of like this one from Marcus Aurelius :

"You have power over your mind - not outside events.
Realize this, and you will find strength. "

- Marcus Aurelius

Reminds me of this scripture :

"casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God,
bringing every Thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,"
- 2 Corinthians 10:5

flio4nc6fj0b1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stoicism in the face of trials seems to me to be a walk in the park compared with James' advice.

James 1:2 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,

bj-penn-gif-not-bad-gif.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums