Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
God created man, nature and all things including scripture.

But only scripture is perfect? How's that?

"It is the faith of the Orthodox Church that the Bible, as the divinely-inspired Word of God in the words of men, contains no formal errors or inner contradictions concerning the relationship between God and the world. There may be incidental inaccuracies of a non-essential character in the Bible. But the eternal spiritual and doctrinal message of God, presented in the Bible in many different ways, remains perfectly consistent, authentic, and true."

The Orthodox Faith - Volume I - Doctrine and Scripture - The Bible - Word of God

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean by "perfect?"

Exhaustive?
Without error?
Mature?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, but we do not always perfectly listen, or continue listening fully through to the end.

'But, don't give up. Try again.' -- there's a motto that also helps in reading scripture.

In other words, be humble.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God who created it is perfect. I do not know if it is perfect. I know we are not. I know the Holy Spirit is perfect and teaches perfectly.

So do we always get it right? No
Are the different translations 100% right? Probably not.
Does that mean it is a barrier to understanding the things of God? No, we have the Holy Spirit to teach us and give understanding.
Do I believe it has been preserved by God to teach us all He wants us to know and that we need to know? Yes

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Word of God is perfect.

Not the particular Bible in hand in all ways.

A particular translation can have a poor (or even wrong) wording, and it seems every translation has some weak spots (though some better), and/or can be hard for us to use (but still, accuracy is better than an easier paraphrase, because we want the subtle meanings to remain available in the text we are using).

But...if we truly listen and read fully through, then we will be given deeper things we need right now, according to where we are at.

If we listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
There are errors and contradictions in written scripture. For example, in one of the flood descriptions, Noah took two of every animal into the ark. In the other, Noah took seven of every clean animal and two of every unclean animal. There are numerous other examples throughout.

Do these things make scripture any less true or authoritative?

No.

Scripture is sufficient *for* salvation. It is useful and profitable and inspired *for* that purpose. It helps us learn more about God and his character. There is no need for us to make up convoluted reasons and excuses to try to turn scripture into some sort of inerrant history or science textbook because that's not the purpose of scripture.

Christianity is in decline. One of the reasons is that many Christians treat people as if they are stupid when they don't agree that two and seven are equal to each other. They are sending the message to the "nones" that leaving one's God-given brain at the door is required to become a Christian and the "nones" aren't having it.

An inerrant or non-contradicting bible isn't (or shouldn't be) the foundation of our faith as Christians.

Jesus Christ (the *living* Word of God) and Jesus Christ alone is our foundation.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God's Word claims that it is perfect (Psalms 12:6) (Psalms 119:140) (Proverbs 30:5) and that it will be preserved for all generations (Psalms 12:7) and it will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8) (1 Peter 1:25).
The 1769 King James is perfect and divinely inspired.
The KJV has been translated so far into other languages (See my "Side Note" below). So the pure Word of God is spreading to other nations. Granted, we are saved by accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior and believing in His death and resurrection and in being faithful to Him, and we can learn this from even Modern Translations, but if you want to have a faith that is more grounded and sure and does not doubt in any way what God's Word says, then you need to have one Word of God that we can understand in the world language of today.

Also, the KJV is one of the most hated Bibles and I have seen first hand the vicious attack that comes against it and those who trust in it. I have been called a Bible worshiper because I believe the KJV is divinely inspired Word of God. But I do not bow down to the Bible and nor do I think it is like some magical object. I believe it is like a love letter from God whereby my affections are for God by what He says in the letter.

If a person here is honestly looking for evidences that prove the KJV is the divinely inspired Word of God, I would be happy to share them. However, if they are looking to smear poop on my Bible, and throw tomatoes at me, then I am not going to play that game.

Side Note:

Anyways, if you are interested, here is the KJV in other languages:

Textus Receptus in Spanish (RVG 2010):
https://www.amazon.com/Santa-Biblia-Rústica-Valera-Spanish/dp/0758907567/

King James Francais in French:
Bible King James Française | King James Française

Koning Jacobus Vertaling in Dutch:
http://www.koningjacobusvertaling.org/info_english.php

Bibelen Guds Ord in Norwegian:
http://www.hermon.no/netbibelen/

Thai King James Bible Version:
The Bible (Thai: from KJV)

Korean King James Version:
https://www.amazon.com/Korean-English-Bible-Leather-Golden/dp/B005DPPENA/

Brazillian Portuguese (the BKJ):
Bíblia King James

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God's Word claims that it is perfect (Psalms 12:6) (Psalms 119:140) (Proverbs 30:5) and that it will be preserved for all generations (Psalms 12:7) and it will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8) (1 Peter 1:25).
The 1769 King James is perfect and divinely inspired.
The KJV has been translated so far into other languages (See my "Side Note" below). So the pure Word of God is spreading to other nations. Granted, we are saved by accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior and believing in His death and resurrection and in being faithful to Him, and we can learn this from even Modern Translations, but if you want to have a faith that is more grounded and sure and does not doubt in any way what God's Word says, then you need to have one Word of God that we can understand in the world language of today.

Also, the KJV is one of the most hated Bibles and I have seen first hand the vicious attack that comes against it and those who trust in it. I have been called a Bible worshiper because I believe the KJV is divinely inspired Word of God. But I do not bow down to the Bible and nor do I think it is like some magical object. I believe it is like a love letter from God whereby my affections are for God by what He says in the letter.

If a person here is honestly looking for evidences that prove the KJV is the divinely inspired Word of God, I would be happy to share them. However, if they are looking to smear poop on my Bible, and throw tomatoes at me, then I am not going to play that game.

Side Note:

Anyways, if you are interested, here is the KJV in other languages:

Textus Receptus in Spanish (RVG 2010):
https://www.amazon.com/Santa-Biblia-Rústica-Valera-Spanish/dp/0758907567/

King James Francais in French:
Bible King James Française | King James Française

Koning Jacobus Vertaling in Dutch:
http://www.koningjacobusvertaling.org/info_english.php

Bibelen Guds Ord in Norwegian:
http://www.hermon.no/netbibelen/

Thai King James Bible Version:
The Bible (Thai: from KJV)

Korean King James Version:
Brazillian Portuguese (the BKJ):
Bíblia King James

I'm looking to smear poop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums