Is saying "G-d bless you" a violation of third commandament (Exod 20:7) ?

Efkharisto2018

Jan 12, 2018
Middle-ish
✟16,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The word used in Exodus 20:7 in the original Hebrew is "lashav" (I'm not sure what the prefix "la-" means, but I'm guessing from my studies of Semitic languages that it means "with" or "in") [Strong's Hebrew 7723.] It seems to mean "emptily," "falsely," or "deceitfully." I'm no scholar on this verse at all (So I would suggest getting more than just my opinion on the subject, and above all, praying to God for clarification on the verse), but it seems to me to mean that one shouldn't attach God's name to false prophecies, false doctrines, and taking His name in vain (i.e. using it in a useless situation, for example, in the common American phrase which the forum censors out, unfortunately, so I can't give the example) or using it inappropriately (i.e. with curse words in proximity of it.)

I think what I mean is that if someone says "God bless you," they either mean to wish good health to someone after they sneeze (Which is a nice gesture IMHO), or they mean that they wish for God to bless that person. Both seem to be noble and the opposite of in vain to me. I would pray on it and ask for other opinions, as I said, since I'm no authority.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I know people who say it are tipically religious and it is far away from being a curse or blasphemy, what would He be happy to say His name like a greeting?

This verse essentially says the same thing:

Deu_24:19 When thou cuttest down thine harvest in thy field, and hast forgot a sheaf in the field, thou shalt not go again to fetch it: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hands.

• Winner
Reactions: DavidMil
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
A better question is what a "blessing" is. The basic meaning is "divine favor"-- and Christ's beatitudes need to be understood in this light. But what is the practical meaning of wishing or,better, conferring a blessing?

Lloyd, a personal friend, shared this testimony with me. His friend F was an atheist who had no interest in religion. One day F was walking through a crowded mall, when he inadvertently bumped into a lady, who touched him to brace herself for the accidental contact. F apologized, the lady smiled, and they went their separate ways. Oddly and wonderfully, by the end of the day F fell under conviction and committed His life to Christ! '

Many years later, F saw a photo of faith healer Kathryn Kuhlman and was amazed to realize that she was the woman he had jostled that fateful day long ago. Well, Kathryn Kuhlman is a virtual blessing machine. In 1969 I attended 2 of her meetings at the famed Los Angeles Auditorium, the former site of the Academy Awards. My Aussie friend Sam and I snuck onto the stage where about 60 pastors were seated, though technically we didn't qualify because we were only Fuller Seminary students. A few minutes into the meeting, Kathryn wheeled around and looked at all of us on the stage and joked, "Have you ever seen such a dead bunch of pastors? They need a blessing!"

To my horror, she started at the far end of the stage and gently touched each pastor on the forehead. Every pastor thus touched acted like he was electricuted! They all fell off their chairs and landed prostrate on the floor! After she "zapped" about 55 of us , I was hoping she wouldn't zap me. But Kathryn sudden stopped, and her discernment prevented her from zapping Sam and I--and about 3 other guys. I was impressed by her spiritual discernment of my fear.

I later learned that a fellow seminarian had cornered her for a conversation. during which she had inadvertently touched him in a random gesture. Well, though he was a large college ex-football player and a stolid Presbyterian, not into this charismatic histrionics, he fell too prostrate as if electricuted!

In any case, Lloyd's friend F later attributed his unlikely conversion to the blessing of her touch. Some evangelical churches organize their people into teams who walk their neighborhoods street by street to "bless" each home and business establishment on their routes. What a wonderful application of Jesus' teaching on the act of blessing!

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.” Matthew 25:35-36

“For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?” Matthew 5:46-48

I also thought about how people say this when others sneeze. Sneezing in ages past was often thought of as your soul escaping. This was a way to keep it somehow? Not sure the whole reasoning behind it, maybe due to stopped heart? Anyways, it seems there is a precedent for greeting people with God Bless You from scriptures, as well as other uses which come from love it seems.

• Informative
Reactions: DavidMil
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I know people who say it are tipically religious and it is far away from being a curse or blasphemy, what would He be happy to say His name like a greeting?
He said we are not to use his name in vain. He did not say to stop using it altogether.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it would take a pretty horrible context to make a blasphemy out of it. Say, if two people are partnering in a gross sin (let's say murdering someone and hiding the body) and one says it to the other for doing something to advance that awful cause.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1st David.. unless one obeys, keeps ALL the laws...you are then braking ALL the laws. Do you know Christ as lord? Well WHERE is He now? IN YOU! Not what I think or anyone else.. so ask Him. If we ask things.. give Him time..wait on the lord and HE WILL answer you. Me.. I make sure is "show me where thats written".. I test all the spirits

Upvote 0

V37

Feb 9, 2018
West Yorkshire
✟19,534.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know people who say it are typically religious and it is far away from being a curse or blasphemy, what would He be happy to say His name like a greeting?
'God' is not God's name, but IMO the decalogue is no longer valid anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0