Is Saturday Sabbath Observance Essential?

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As the SABBATH is created into this world FOREVER and ADAM & EVE kept the first SABBATH as GOD created it. The new earth will still have the moon & SABBATH as part of it so people who OVER RULE GOD will have to pay BIG TIME for having HUMAN LOGIC !
Hebrews 4 makes the SABBATH perfectly clear .
Why are humans telling GOD what to do ?
Good point

Upvote 0

hebrewrootwife

Jun 28, 2018
Jasper
✟7,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Separated
Wow! A lot of christians have this mindset and I can understand where they get it from, but the Sabbath is the Sabbath, and the Lord's Day is the Lord's Day. The Sabbath is Saturday, and the Lord's Day is Sunday. End of story. I am a new covenant believer and worship on the Lord's Day. My husband worships and "keeps" the Sabbath, on Saturday. We as believer's are told that there is no special day to worship and we can choose which day to do so. I choose Sunday as that is when the "churches are open" .. (plus all the traditional reasons like the Lord resurrected on Sunday, the first christians did worship on Sunday, etc.) However, in our society especially, we have forgotten to take a day of rest. I know I forget, or don't bother. It should be done, but again, there is freedom in Christ as to which day you rest. Since Saturday is a "Sabbath", that would be a great day to rest but not under compulsion to earn favor with God. Our Sabbath rest is a rest in the finished work of Christ on the cross.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow! A lot of christians have this mindset and I can understand where they get it from, but the Sabbath is the Sabbath, and the Lord's Day is the Lord's Day. The Sabbath is Saturday, and the Lord's Day is Sunday. End of story.
End of story?

Where in the Bible does it say Sunday (the first day of the week), is the Lord's day? And where does it say this day has replaced the fourth command?

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow! A lot of christians have this mindset and I can understand where they get it from, but the Sabbath is the Sabbath, and the Lord's Day is the Lord's Day. The Sabbath is Saturday, and the Lord's Day is Sunday. End of story. I am a new covenant believer and worship on the Lord's Day. My husband worships and "keeps" the Sabbath, on Saturday. We as believer's are told that there is no special day to worship and we can choose which day to do so. I choose Sunday as that is when the "churches are open" .. (plus all the traditional reasons like the Lord resurrected on Sunday, the first christians did worship on Sunday, etc.) However, in our society especially, we have forgotten to take a day of rest. I know I forget, or don't bother. It should be done, but again, there is freedom in Christ as to which day you rest. Since Saturday is a "Sabbath", that would be a great day to rest but not under compulsion to earn favor with God. Our Sabbath rest is a rest in the finished work of Christ on the cross.

Satan is good at misdirection, and in this case, many have been deceived. The Bible is clear, there is only one day given from Creation that was made for man, and Christ confirmed it:

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- Exodus 20:8

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
- Exodus 20:10

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
- Exodus 20:11

https://www.sabbathtruth.com/faq/advanced-topics/rest-in-god-keeping-the-sabbath-holy

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Word of God is clear - Jesus is our rest. Those who reject this have not entered into His rest.

Hebrews 4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heaven

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Word of God is clear - Jesus is our rest. Those who reject this have not entered into His rest.

Hebrews 4
1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
2For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
3For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
4For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.
5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
6Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:
7Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.
8For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
9There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
10For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
11Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
12For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
14Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heaven
It's easy to pull verses out of context and read meaning into them that isn't there. What I want to see is where it plainly states in the Bible that Sabbath observance is no longer required. I have seen all kinds of arguments suggesting God's people no longer have to keep the Sabbath day holy, but no such Scripture where it says that. Only verses taken out of context, like the one you have shared.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's easy to pull verses out of context and read meaning into them that isn't there. What I want to see is where it plainly states in the Bible that Sabbath observance is no longer required. I have seen all kinds of arguments suggesting God's people no longer have to keep the Sabbath day holy, but no such Scripture where it says that. Only verses taken out of context, like the one you have shared.
It's very plain in the Scripture that I provided.

If you are going to assert that I have taken it out of context then feel free to show how. I'm certain I'm providing the entire context by providing the entire passage. There is a clear distinction between the Sabbath day and Christ's Rest that we believers have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's very plain in the Scripture that I provided.

If you are going to assert that I have taken it out of context then feel free to show how. I'm certain I'm providing the entire context by providing the entire passage. There is a clear distinction between the Sabbath day and Christ's Rest that we believers have.
The burden of proof is on you. You appear to be using Hebrews 4 as a proof text to say Sabbath keeping is no longer required. I don't see support for that idea anywhere in the text you provided. Show me in the text, using proper Exegesis, where it says Sabbath observance is no longer required for believers. If the text doesn't say that, then you shouldn't use it to make such a claim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have had some involvement with SDA over many decades.
As for Sabbath worship I do not see this as essential and possibly not in keeping with Christ's seemingly essential message.
Some have accused SDA of being latter day Galatians.
This is simply a personal consideration.
Many years ago The Pope was viewed as 666. Does this still apply?
Thank you.:wave:

Is the command "Do not taking God's name in vain" -- "essential" even though that is the one commandment of the TEN - never quoted even in part in the NT

Is the command to not "bow down before graven images nor promise to serve them" --- "essential"??

Is there a point to selecting one of the commandments of God and asking if "it is essential"

"The saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

And the 5th commandment is the "First commandment" in that still-valid unit-of-TEN "with a promise" Eph 6:2

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The burden of proof is on you. You appear to be using Hebrews 4 as a proof text to say Sabbath keeping is no longer required. I don't see support for that idea anywhere in the text you provided. .

"There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Heb 4 gets "edited" in some narratives to "There most certainly No longer remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God".

Taking a Bible text and inserting "not" in front of it - in the argument is not the most compelling form of a sola-scriptura position as we probably all know by now.

For all eternity - after the cross -- in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Isaiah 66:23

God's Law cannot be "edited" by the "traditions of man" according to Christ - Mark 7:6-13

Upvote 0

godenver1

Christian
Jul 12, 2015
✟29,119.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Numbers 28:9-10 (NIV)
On the Sabbath day, make an offering of two lambs a year old without defect, together with its drink offering and a grain offering of two-tenths of an ephah[c] of the finest flour mixed with olive oil. 10 This is the burnt offering for every Sabbath, in addition to the regular burnt offering and its drink offering.

Why don't SDAs offer two lambs to God every Saturday?

Is the command "Do not taking God's name in vain" -- "essential" even though that is the one commandment of the TEN - never quoted even in part in the NT

Is the command to not "bow down before graven images nor promise to serve them" --- "essential"??

Is there a point to selecting one of the commandments of God and asking if "it is essential"

"The saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

And the 5th commandment is the "First commandment" in that still-valid unit-of-TEN "with a promise" Eph 6:2

There is no doubt Christians still have commandments to be kept as a fruit of justification, but it isn't the OT laws, as you seem to think, it's he law of Christ (Galatians 6:2, John 14:15, John 15:12, Matthew 22:37-39) As well as the 10 Commandments as repeated in the New Covenant. Those commandments you mentioned fall under loving God with all our heart.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dougangel
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why don't SDAs offer two lambs to God every Saturday?

1. Were Adam and Eve offering "two lambs" in Genesis 2:1-3 where the Sabbath is made a Holy Day?
2. Is there a "two lamb" offering in Exodus 20:8-11 -- the Sabbath Commandment?
3. When God says in Exodus 16 'Tomorrow is the Sabbath' -- does He say "so get ready to offer a two-lamb offering tomorrow"??
4. In Isaiah 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to WORSHIP" speaking of events on the New Earth for all eternity after the cross. -- God does not say "shall all mankind offer two lambs".

Hence even these "NON-SDA" sources freely admit to all TEN of the TEN Commandments with the Sabbath commandment included in the LAW of God written on the heart under the NEW Covenant.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism

Or do you imagine all of them to be "SDA"??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
hristians still have commandments to be kept as a fruit of justification, but it isn't the OT laws, as you seem to think, it's he law of Christ (Galatians 6:2, John 14:15, John 15:12, Matthew 22:37-39) As well as the 10 Commandments as repeated in the New Covenant. .

The New Covenant does not list any commandments at all -- rather Jeremiah defines the NEW Covenant as God saying "I will write My LAW on their heart and mind" Jer 31:31-33 ,,, repeated verbatim in Hebrew 8:6-12 "unchanged".

Exegesis demands that even the non-SDA groups I listed above - admit that Jeremiah included ALL TEN of the TEN Commandments in that term,,, and so also did his readers.

What is more - the only command NOT quoted "not even in part" in the NEW Testament -- of the TEN... is "Do not take God's name in vain". And yet it is STILL valid!!

Paul reminds us that in the UNIT of TEN - the 5th commandment is the "FIRST commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2... still valid unit to this very day.

No wonder that Isaiah says -- Isaiah 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to WORSHIP" speaking of events on the New Earth for all eternity after the cross

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,074.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Can you do me the courtesy and find the verse that says the "Lords Day" is Sunday/First Day of the week?

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Can you do me the courtesy and find the verse that says the "Lords Day" is Sunday/First Day of the week?

Ok so that will never happen.

Maybe you should make it easier - ask them to find "The Son of Man is LORD of the Sabbath"

Upvote 0