Is Satan behind the division of the many denominations we find? Or, is it the Lord?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Denominations differ on minor points, while agreeing on major points, ... and most consider themselves to be in unity with the others.

In the essentails, UNITY
In non-essentials, LIBERTY
In ALL things, CHARITY

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and thatthere be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Also there is Jesus' prayer of unity in John 17.

According to what Paul said, these divisions are not from God.
IMO, there are way to many factions/denominations in the church today.
But every sect thinks they are being led by the Spirit.
I believe when we get to Heaven, that we will all find out that I was the only one who had the correct doctrine :)

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Denominations differ on minor points, while agreeing on major points, ... and most consider themselves to be in unity with the others.

In the essentails, UNITY
In non-essentials, LIBERTY
In ALL things, CHARITY

Non essentials can not defy and contradict the Word of God. That is not liberty. Only the Truth will make you free.

Charity? Even deeply carnal hippies spoke of love and giving. Human good is not the love of God, but it still is a form of love.

If the Holy Spirit were filling all believers there would be no denominations.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Charity? Even deeply carnal hippies spoke of love and giving.

So did Paul ...

1 Corinthians 13

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some things we can agree to disagree on.
Some things are non negotiable.
I attend a non-denominational church where just last week I found out our song leader is a die hard Calvinist.
I do not believe he is correct, but I can still worship with him.
I think I might be the only one in my church that believes in speaking in Tongues and healing.
But, all the members believe we are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
The Bible is the inspired Word of God.
We believe in the Trinity.
Just about everything else is negotiable.

Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and thatthere be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Then all denominations can not be doing God's perfect will. The only chance one has today is to find a solid Bible teaching independent church. But even independent churches can act like a denomination of one.

Satan does not cause it. He simply observes what man invents and then reinforces what wayward believers decide upon. God allows for it so those who truly desire truth can have a church without others sitting in the pews being antagonistic to the truth because it displeases their personal preference.

2 Timothy 4:3

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine.
Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great
number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear."

And, there we have the reason in a nut shell. Men pick their preference. Satan who observes what goes on has his angels devise doctrines in line with what is pleasing for the type a person attracted to a particular denomination. Some demon influence is strong and the Church is very restrictive. With others they are only able to protect a few divisive teachings that still serve to keep believers apart.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some things we can agree to disagree on.
Some things are non negotiable.
I attend a non-denominational church where just last week I found out our song leader is a die hard Calvinist.
I do not believe he is correct, but I can still worship with him.
I think I might be the only one in my church that believes in speaking in Tongues and healing.
But, all the members believe we are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
The Bible is the inspired Word of God.
We believe in the Trinity.
Just about everything else is negotiable.

Then you can not grow and mature in more and more doctrinal truth. Only form a social club in the name of Christ. Some people like the idea as being seen as being tolerant. Some churches will give them that opportunity to think well of themselves.

Yet.... If the teaching of the Church is accurate and sound doctrine? It will teach what is needed to straighten out the Calvinist... or he will leave. And, if tongues are not for today? Then that one will leave as well. Sound doctrine does that. Many do not want it. For it requires that we must deny self and take up our crosses if we are in fact going to be following the Word of God.

2 Tim 4:3

"For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine.
Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great
number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear."​

• Optimistic
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP: Q: ..."Is Satan or LORD behind the division of the many (Christ-Following) denominations?..."

A: Objection to the forced choice!
NEITHER!

Answer: Erroneous Man-made doctrines outside the influence of God the Holy Spirit, The Spirit of Truth.

Jude 1:19
These are the ones who cause divisions, worldly-minded, devoid of the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all agree and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be made complete in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Matthew 10:34
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

A sword that divides nations, religions, "churches", families, etc

God sees 2 "piles" of created people:
1. BELIEVERS...destined for the spiritual eternal heavens: God + angels + saved
2. UNBELIEVERS...destined for sentencing to eternal spiritual separation from God in the "lake of fire": satan + anti-christ + anti-spirit + Death/Hades concepts + UNsaved

1 Chronicles 28:9...CHOOSE..."free will"
“As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts.
If you seek Him, He will let you find Him;
but
if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Also there is Jesus' prayer of unity in John 17.

According to what Paul said, these divisions are not from God.
IMO, there are way to many factions/denominations in the church today.
But every sect thinks they are being led by the Spirit.
I believe when we get to Heaven, that we will all find out that I was the only one who had the correct doctrine :)

I am not sure who has “ the correct doctrine” . I make no claims to know everything there is to know.Having said that——- I do know ONE thing.....BUCKEYES RULE Wolverines drool.....sorry but Doug Melvin n needed reminding....lol

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OP: Q: ..."Is Satan or LORD behind the division of the many (Christ-Following) denominations?..."

He is not behind the original reason for the division. He simply observes the bad choice and then supplies what is needed to reinforce to make sure the wrong reasons remain feeling secure. They have to get their inspiration from somewhere when being refuted by sound doctrine. I have seen it in action.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Church doesn't do anything that is perfect ... because it is made up of imperfect men.

That's why we need GRACE ...
I did not say they are perfect. Imperfect believers are expected to find and do God's perfect will. God is perfect, and has supplied the perfect means for sinners saved by grace to be empowered to be led into all truth. Denominations box minds in and do not allow for thinking outside of its box.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing
of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
Rom 12:2

The dogma roadblocks of denominations prevent the discovering God's perfect will. Denominations demand a tribal (worldly) type conformity that will not allow for thinking outside of what that denomination dictates is only to be accepted. Its a matter of "dogma vs doctrine."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"He"?..."They"?...
please DON'T use PRO-NOUNS !

Look...
He is not behind the original reason for the division. He simply observes the bad choice and then supplies what is needed to reinforce to make sure the wrong reasons remain feeling secure. They have to get their inspiration from somewhere when being refuted by sound doctrine. I have seen it in action.

Now.. Was that "he" God? Or, Satan?

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
BUT:

Hebrews 10:25
not forsaking our own assembling together, ('church ~= "assembly = (eclesisa) as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

Hebrews 12:23
to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,

1 Timothy 4:1[ Apostasy ]
But the Spirit explicitly says that in "later times" some will "fall away" (forgivable apostasy) from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,

Titus 1:9
holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
BUT:

Hebrews 10:25
not forsaking our own assembling together, ('church ~= "assembly = (eclesisa) as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near.

They did not have a thousand denominations back then....

Today one has to be careful when choosing a church. God is not pleased if we simply assemble where much false or weak doctrine is being taught. Only the truth will make you free.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now.. Was that "He" God? Or "He" Satan? Or "He = "X"?

Was "They" a. believers b. UN-believers c. other ???

Apostate believers who are saved.

Paul warned Timothy about apostasy arising in the church.

For the time will come when they will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 2 Tim 4:3

There we get our denominations.

Upvote 0