Dec 27, 2009
✟649,146.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Your absolutely correct, it IS a matter of the Soul. But I agree with cloudyday2 when religion is presented as Truth, there are issues there.

Yet people of of religious faith are all of the time saying "trust me", "or else" you will be hell bent.

The Soul before it comes into this physical world is "in" God.
The Soul while in this physical world is "in" God.
The Soul after it leaves this physical world is "in" God.

I have never considered myself religious, thank God..

But I have had many ask, and always everytime out of the blue.

Baffling.

Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I have consistently found that those who deny the existence of their shadow and consider themselves "purified" by virtue of their spiritual beliefs end up being the meanest, pettiest, and most dangerous people to be around.

Sounds like you 've been hanging around a rough crowd there Jane! Sorry am I for you... All of us have a shadow not to be proud of....

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yet I know many, and I'm one, who has made the choice to change our nature.

What nature? Are you NOT evil anymore?
(Sorry, I forgot how did you define evil. But if you take evil as one of the human nature, I am afraid that you did not define it well. )

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
History proves that as a collective, our species hasn't yet outgrown its tribal past, and that instincts play a bigger role than our self-image allows for.

We like to consider ourselves exalted creatures, enlightened by Reason or created in the image of GOD.
But when push comes to shove, we act just like other primates. In fact, our closest "relatives" among the great apes (the chimpanzees) go to "war" with each other, even grievously punishing fraternising with the enemy when a group has split apart.

For me, the aim could never be to deny our (supposedly) "lesser" nature, but to acknowledge the presence of these unconscious urges within us, and then to steer them into less problematic channels.
Team sports are definitely a sublimation of our aggressive impulses, and activities such as collecting items (stamps, coins, beer cans, whatever) satisfy our urge to hunt - even in those who've never dreamed of tracking animals.
The denial and demonization of the unconscious (just like the demonization of "carnal" Man by Christianity) has resulted in unspeakable horrors, as the suppressed urges festered and grew in the dark beyond people's conscious awareness, and returned with a vengeance.

• Winner
Reactions: Tayla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
History proves that as a collective, our species hasn't yet outgrown its tribal past, and that instincts play a bigger role than our self-image allows for.

We like to consider ourselves exalted creatures, enlightened by Reason or created in the image of GOD.
But when push comes to shove, we act just like other primates. In fact, our closest "relatives" among the great apes (the chimpanzees) go to "war" with each other, even grievously punishing fraternising with the enemy when a group has split apart.

For me, the aim could never be to deny our (supposedly) "lesser" nature, but to acknowledge the presence of these unconscious urges within us, and then to steer them into less problematic channels.
Team sports are definitely a sublimation of our aggressive impulses, and activities such as collecting items (stamps, coins, beer cans, whatever) satisfy our urge to hunt - even in those who've never dreamed of tracking animals.
The denial and demonization of the unconscious (just like the demonization of "carnal" Man by Christianity) has resulted in unspeakable horrors, as the suppressed urges festered and grew in the dark beyond people's conscious awareness, and returned with a vengeance.

hmm...

Many, many people embrace their carnality, and the consequences (e.g. war and murder.) However, History is full of people who have overcome their alleged carnality, and have made an effort (and succeeded) in rejecting this alleged part of humanity.

I would say that a majority of people have accepting the qualification of their humanity as any part carnal does not mean that is human nature.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Wars aren't fought for simple desires. The only way to get thousands of people to throw away their lives and to murder others at the command of some officer is to convince them that they are fighting for a higher ideal, the Greater Good.
Crusaders waded knee-deep through the blood of slaughtered civilians, still believing themselves champions and protectors of the One True Faith.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Feeling sympathy is part of "carnality". So is affection, pity, love in all of its many guises. Anger at witnessing unfairness? Carnality. Feeling good when aiding others? Carnality.

Carnality is the id and ego. Affection, pity, love and sympathy are abstractions that are part of a superego - a "consciousness."

You can easily perceive the ego: it is what you think you are, and the psychology that comes with that. Many people that believe they are, or arent following a god are actually following their own ego. Some people become so self-absorbed that their "superego" is a measure of cultural immorality.

Morality, in general, is carnal because it is focused on how to keep self alive. That is why morality is subjective; there is no founded standard on the best way to keep humans from dying in culture. Everyone has a different philosophy on life. Love is objectively useless, but we know as a culture that it has a place that comes from outside the ego.

Carnality is degenerate; it breeds cycles of the same confusion, destruction, rising, and forsaking the foundation. This is not normal - we have normalized it to help us feel better about our degeneracy. Some have accepted certain activities and behavior as "natural" to man, but it really isnt. It is natural for the path of destruction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Feeling sympathy is part of "carnality". So is affection, pity, love in all of its many guises. Anger at witnessing unfairness? Carnality. Feeling good when aiding others? Carnality.

Carnality is the id and ego. Affection, pity, love and sympathy are abstractions that are part of a superego - a "consciousness."

You can easily perceive the ego: it is what you think you are, and the psychology that comes with that. Many people that believe they are, or arent following a god are actually following their own ego. Some people become so self-absorbed that their "superego" is a measure of cultural immorality.

Morality, in general, is carnal because it is focused on how to keep self alive. That is why morality is subjective; there is no founded standard on the best way to keep humans from dying in culture. Everyone has a different philosophy on life. Love is objectively useless, but we know as a culture that it has a place that comes from outside the ego.

Carnality is degenerate; it breeds cycles of the same confusion, destruction, rising, and forsaking the foundation. This is not normal - we have normalized it to help us feel better about our degeneracy. Some have accepted certain activities and behavior as "natural" to man, but it really isnt. It is natural for the path of destruction.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
We should never think that the devil could help us with anything in a good manner.

He is all about hurting and killing people and taking them to hell.

M-Bob

Many churches don't teach why that satan hates us, which is also likely why that satan gets praise - seen as a renegade against an angry, violent, childish God.

In reality, that satan has been upset at the thought of us since the beginning. He swindled Adam and Eve - and all of us, ultimately - out of their God-given divinity by telling them they weren't gods, and they would learn to be gods by disobeying the God of Gods' direct orders. They listened.

Now, we think this is "normal," when it is really a bunch of millenia of work done to traumatically affect the spirit of every single human on this planet, and beyond, by some spirits, principalities, powers and ex-angels. Again, this isn't natural: it takes a lot of convincing and manipulation by lots of spirits/"gods" to keep us in this state.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
He is all about hurting and killing people and taking them to hell.

The Devil kills people? Why would he kill Christians if they go to heaven? And if he's claiming lives who would justly go to hell (the place that God created), then he's doing God's work so it must be good.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,029.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
What nature? Are you NOT evil anymore?
(Sorry, I forgot how did you define evil. But if you take evil as one of the human nature, I am afraid that you did not define it well. )
I didn't define evil. And I do not take evil as human nature. Are we capable of doing evil? To that I'd answer in the affirmative. But that's different than being in our nature.

Upvote 0