Is salvation by faith or by election?

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Is salvation by faith or by a pre-born, pre-faith election? If God elects individuals to salvation prior to their being born, prior to them believing, and if such election is not based on foreknowledge of their faith, then that would mean that people are born saved. They don't need to be saved through faith in the gospel as they would already be saved upon their birth.

In such a case, salvation is not by faith, but by election. In what way is such a concept not a denial of the gospel?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is salvation by faith or by a pre-born, pre-faith election?
If it is by faith, you may receive the gift of faith thanks to a pre-birth decision of God. Or you may be on your own to acquire saving Faith. Which of those it is varies by denomination.

But I don't know anyone who thinks that you might be among the elect but not have faith.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Is salvation by faith or by a pre-born, pre-faith election? If God elects individuals to salvation prior to their being born, prior to them believing, and if such election is not based on foreknowledge of their faith, then that would mean that people are born saved. They don't need to be saved through faith in the gospel as they would already be saved upon their birth.

In such a case, salvation is not by faith, but by election. In what way is such a concept not a denial of the gospel?

God's elects people to salvation based on his free grace and not upon anything foreseen in the creature. This does not, however, mean that salvation is fatalistic. Fatalism would say that the elect are saved no matter what. But this isn't what the Bible teaches nor is it what Calvin taught nor what Calvinists believe.

God elects his people to salvation before the ages. He also ordains all the means of salvation. God ordains that his elect will hear the gospel. He ordains that they will respond with faith that he gives to them at an appropriate time. An elect person can be unsaved when considering the matter temporally. Someone only becomes saved once they repent and believe. But an elect person will certainly become saved because God will see to it that they do.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Just because God knows who is going to be saved, because for Him the future is history, it doesn't mean we were saved by God’s election.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Faith (just make sure that your faith isn't dead). Some of us are lucky and this comes easy to us- maybe we were raised in a faithful household, or someone else of faith had a profound impact on us. This comes harder to others- those who weren't born with the benefit of a faithful household, or someone whose only contact with supposedly faithful people was negative. For them, faith will be a challenge.

Regardless, God doesn't pre-ordain all of us for either heaven or hell. Our "election" simply means that God ultimately knows who will be saved. He doesn't "force" our salvation- but if we desire it, and cooperate with Him, it's our gift. Likewise, He doesn't damn people from the foundation of the world. He simply knows who will be damned.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Though we cannot know everything of God's mind (Isaiah 55), still we'd expect an answer what fits more passages rather than fewer. Seemingly then--
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_election

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Paul tells us to work out our own salvation (Phil 2:1-2). We all know that the Lord saves us from the messes we get ourselves into, when we repent, and we're smart enough to know he expects us to learn from our mistakes.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Faith does not come by circumcision, resting on the seventh day without lifting a ten pound weight, or sacrificing animals as is required in the five books of Moses. Faith is obedience to God. Jesus taught that it is not enough to be born of the flesh. The flesh is perishable. People born of the flesh die. Jesus taught people they must be born again, if they want to be saved. One must live a better lifestyle and exhibit moral behavior. One needs to be born of the spirit. A liar cannot be telling a truth as long as he is false. God is truth. It is legal to lie in court as long as one is not under oath. I heard a plaintiff's attorney lying when I did jury duty. To lie is not right by God.

How can I know if God knew me before I was born? Most of my memories from before the age of four are gone. I definitely was not saved during my wild youth, even though I cut the grass and did some of my homework. Repentance does not come easy for people like me.

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
God's elects people to salvation based on his free grace and not upon anything foreseen in the creature. This does not, however, mean that salvation is fatalistic. Fatalism would say that the elect are saved no matter what. But this isn't what the Bible teaches nor is it what Calvin taught nor what Calvinists believe.

God elects his people to salvation before the ages. He also ordains all the means of salvation. God ordains that his elect will hear the gospel. He ordains that they will respond with faith that he gives to them at an appropriate time. An elect person can be unsaved when considering the matter temporally. Someone only becomes saved once they repent and believe. But an elect person will certainly become saved because God will see to it that they do.
You're mistaken about Calvinist. The fifth point of the TULIP acronymn indicates that the elect never lose salvation. Being a "Reformed Catholic" as you identify yourself, you're probably thinking of Lutheranism, which is different than Calvinism.

And given that fact, yes it is fatalistic, with regards to salvation. Since under Calvinism election occurs prior to birth, and that such election has nothing to do with God's foreknowledge of people's faith, therefore when a the elect are born it is ineviable they will go to heaven, and coming to faith at some point doesn't change that fact. Thus under Calvinism salvation is not contingent upon faith, though faith will occur at some point. But it doesn't affect the salvation status they already had from birth.

• Informative
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Just because God knows who is going to be saved, because for Him the future is history, it doesn't mean we were saved by God’s election.
My question, as stated, was directed to those who believe that election is not based upon God's foreknowledge of events.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
On another note, this is like asking: “is salvation by faith or by the blood of Jesus?” IOW, these things include and don’t exclude each other.
Nope, it's not like that. It's a different question. And why is it the most common problem in the Christian community seem to be the lack of exercising basic reading comprehension skills?

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't really speak to the question I asked.

Actually it does. I gave you a fuller answer of the whole pathway.

God elects who to save, and He then saves through an act of grace - that act being the gift of faith (which then leads to works in our lives).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Actually it does. I gave you a fuller answer of the whole pathway.

God elects who to save, and He then saves through an act of grace - that act being the gift of faith (which then leads to works in our lives).
Well I hate to repeat the question just to show you that you didn't speak to the question, but here it is:

Might want to exercise some basic reading comprehension skills.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well I hate to repeat the question just to show you that you didn't speak to the question, but here it is:

Might want to exercise some basic reading comprehension skills.

And I answered that God elects who are saved, and then does so by granting them faith.

Might want to be less sarcastic.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_election

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Nope, it's not like that. It's a different question. And why is it the most common problem in the Christian community seem to be the lack of exercising basic reading comprehension skills?

Well I’d rather frame it like this: “Are people saved by faith or are they saved by God?”

This question is just as ridiculous as the question in the OP, but if I must put forth an answer to it I would say that people are saved by God and that faith is God-provided evidence that He is indeed saving them.

Upvote 0