• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Is Rove going down?

Discussion in 'General Political Discussion' started by ShawnaAnn, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ClaireZ

ClaireZ Senior Veteran

+237
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Actually when the story first broke, Rove was my first guess for the source.

I am surprised by how often I am not surprised by this administration.

2. PACKY

PACKY Contributor

+346
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    When a person cant come out and say I am Innocent..or when they lawyer up..it tends to appear that they are guilty of something....

3. mutantleader

mutantleader Member

+13
    Non-Denom
    US-Republican
    If he is convicted, the president will likely pardon him as one his exit strategies.

4. Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen America Can Do Better!

+98
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Some quotes Rep. Henry Waxman included in his letter to House Colleagues.

"I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view, the most insidious of traitors."Former President and CIA Director George H.W. Bush, Washington Times (Apr. 27, 1999).

"We also want to send a clear message to the political 'operatives' responsible for ?outing? Mrs. Wilson. Such action was treacherous, if not treasonous. .. This has set a sickening precedent. The "senior Administration officials" who did this have warned all U.S. intelligence officers and the Intelligence Community that any one individual may be compromised if providing information or factual analysis the White House does not like."Testimony of Former CIA Officials Larry Johnson, Michael Grimaldi, and Brent Cavan (Oct. 24, 2003).

"The disclosure of Ms. Plame?s name was an unprecedented and shameful event in American history and, in our professional judgment, has damaged U.S. national security, specifically the effectiveness of U.S. intelligence gathering using human sources. Any breach of the code of confidentiality and cover weakens the overall fabric of intelligence, and, directly or indirectly, jeopardizes the work and safety of intelligence workers and their sources."Letter to House Speaker Dennis J. Hastert from Former CIA Officials Larry C. Johnson, James Marcinkowski, Michael Grimaldi, Brent Cavan, Marc Sageman, MD, Ph.D., James A. Smith, John McCavitt, Ray McGovern, Ray Close, and William Wagner (Jan. 20. 2004).

5. arnegrim

arnegrim ...still not convinced it was the wrong one.

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    What law was broken by Rove? (assuming he's the one who outed her)

6. Doctrine1st

Doctrine1st Official nitwit

+431
    US-Others
  7. arnegrim

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Well... uh... she wasn't covert.

8. arnegrim

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
  9. Doctrine1st

+431
    US-Others
    Why wasn't she, and there are CIA agents who beg to differ and wish their own Government would quit mucking with their lives let lone their carreers for the sake of embarassment.

10. starchild

starchild Even the least of these my brethren.

+160
    Protestant
    US-Democrat
    When you use a Republican Talking Point©, aren't you required to notate the copyright?

From dictionary.com:
    http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:pMi-X2KWqqMJ:www.billingsgazette.com/index.php%3Fts%3D1%26display%3Drednews/2003/10/01/build/nation/25-leak.inc+Plame+CIA+referral&hl=es

11. starchild

starchild Even the least of these my brethren.

+160
    Protestant
    US-Democrat
  12. Smoke Screen

Smoke Screen America Can Do Better!

+98
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    And how do you know this? Let's see your source.

13. Sinai

Sinai Well-Known Member

+15
    Protestant
    Thus far, the only thing Rove has been shown to be guilty of doing is helping Bush get elected. Although that may be the unpardonable sin as far as his detractors and opponents may be concerned, it is not against the law.....

14. fragmentsofdreams

fragmentsofdreams Critical loyalist

+410
    Catholic
    I hope he goes down because he has done much evil in his pursuit of power. However, I don't know whether this will bring him down.

15. Cliche Guevara

Cliche Guevara Senior Member

+82
    Atheist
    US-Others
    He was fired by Bush Snr for leaking information to Robert Novak back in 1992.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/07/07/rove_plame/index_np.html

16. arnegrim

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20050715/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/cia_leak_rove

17. Doctrine1st

+431
    US-Others
    "But at the same time, Wilson acknowledged his wife was no longer in an undercover job at the time Novak's column first identified her. "My wife was not a clandestine officer the day that Bob Novak blew her identity," he said."

For the sake of argument let's say this is an accurate quote. Seeing that she was a NOC, and was working undercover for a CIA devised company to investigate WMDs, any contacts she may have had are probably now fatally compromised, any company which provided her cover is now exposed, including other agents who are working in the same capacity for said company.

They just ruined years of inroads and perhaps jeopardized the saftey of some in Governments that aren't as civil as us, just to cover their %$# because of the need to lie about the war.

This admin is completely incompetent when it comes to the war on terror.

18. arnegrim

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    For the sake of argument, if she was no longer working undercover, her identity (or lack thereof) would no longer be vital to the workings of anything... if it were, then she would have remained 'covert'.

19. arnegrim

+134
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Here's an idea... why don't we wait until the investigation determines if there was any laws broken and go from there.

20. kermit

kermit Legend

+777
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    The investigation will only determine whether or not he committed a crime. To maintain his position and/or security clearance merely not being a criminal isn't enough. He has to demonstrate trustworthyness and caution when dealing with topics that may be classified (when in doubt shut your mouth). He didn't do so.

His excuse is that he didn't know her status at the CIA was classified. Since when is ignorance an excuse? If a sailor unwittingly reveals the location of a sub is he less guilty because he didn't know that information was classified? Nope.

This isn't the first time Rove has gotten in trouble for his loose lips. What type of information is he going to let slip next time? Troop movements? The location of Camp David? Who's life does he have to endanger for him to be fired?