Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here)...?

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A broken (or broken up) and contrite heart (and or spirit) God will not reject, ignore, or brush aside, or let or leave alone, or abandon, ect... regardless of any kind of sin (in their life)...

It is how/what he both wants and prefers (possibly even requires) for us to (all) come to Him...

He will never turn such a one away, regardless of (any kind of) sin...

God Bless!
God does what He says...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I, presently, stand with a clear conscience.
Whenever I am made aware of my guilt, I go to Jesus under 1 John 1:9 and get washed.
Whatever the Holy Spirit has not yet called me on remains covered by His grace.
And I'm assuming that you have a very humble heart, mind, and attitude when you do this, right...?

And that you have to do this from time to time, right...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I'm assuming that you have a very humble heart, mind, and attitude when you do this, right...?

And that you have to do this from time to time, right...?
I'm autistic. The best that I can come up with is, "YOU are right, I was wrong, and I don't want anything to come between us."

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Repentance comes from the Greek word 'metanoeo' which means to change one's mind. This is for the better and one turns their mind with penitence from sin to God. While 1 John, says 'we can't sin', this implies a habitual tendency or attraction to sin. Scripture continuously tells us to 'Put on Christ and make no room for the flesh and its lusts' Romans 13:14.

The Christian life is a 'walk', a race (Heb 12:1-2) and a battle since scripture calls us soldiers (2 Tim 2:3). We fight against fleshly lusts daily.

Romans 12:2
“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
‭‭The Word 'renewing' is a present continuous verb which means to change one's mind (unlearn the old and learn the new). In renewal, we strip off the old man and yield to the new man. This is a process that never ends for a Christian as long as we are still in this corruptible flesh. This is repentance. It is a way of life as we mature spiritually. We don't repent with the mind of a judged sinner but as righteous sons of God. We don't approach God in fear of judgement but with a pure conscience to be holy as He is.

“For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, With him who has a contrite and humble spirit, To revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭57:15‬

IT IS A WAY OF LIFE.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
@1stcenturylady as well...

How about not "if" but "when", or "if and when" you "do sin"...

(1 John 2:1)... John is saying that he is writing so you won't sin, but also realizes you probably will and do sin sometimes, therefore we have and advocate with the Father, ect, ect...

Cause it's inevitable that you will sometimes or at times, "sin", and it (repentance) is not a "one time thing", but should be a/an (certain) attitude and/or state of mind, or "way of life" IOW's...

Cause thinking that you'll never have any kind of need for any kind of repentance ever again, or after a certain point in your life, is not only very foolish, stupid, ignorant, ect, but is (also) is deceiving yourself and your own mind, ect, ect (1 John 1:8)... Which deceiving yourself is something that "you do" and chosse that "is a sin" in and of itself... of denying sin, or that you sin, or in God's eyes are a "sinner", ect...

And if you think you "no longer have any need of any kind of repentance any longer" (Luke 15:7) or past a certain, point; the deception is, besides thinking that you have no sin or will never ever sin again, the deception is that you will trick yourself into always thinking you are always in the right or will always be in the right and are never ever wrong at all ever or anymore, ect...

Do none of you ever question of doubt yourself as to whether you are "right" or not, or are always right forever (now) or past a certain point in your life (now) or in this life ever, or all of the time...? Cause I do question myself constantly as to whether I am right or wrong or not, or what I am doing and/or saying is right or wrong or "whatever", "even when" I am or may be right a lot...?

I still question it, and talk to God about it, apologize all the time, or when necessary, and, sometimes, "even when it's not necessary" or I've not really even done anything wrong, or it's not my fault ect...? I'll still do it anyway, cause I question and doubt myself a lot or sometimes, not doubt or doubting God, but me or myself, so don;t get that twisted...

I call it "erring on the side of caution", which has to be better than "not erring on the side of caution ever" IMO...

Anyway, you guys don't ever do that...?

Any kind of wrong, or if you are ever wrong at all, or are not always, "always right" all the time, then it is "sin"... And are "any of you gonna say" you are "always right all the time now, and never ever slip up or make a mistake ever (now), or are not ever wrong ever now or at all ever...? Any of you truly gonna say and/or claim that...? Cause I would call you a "liar", and I think God would as well...

It's (all) deceiving yourself and your own mind (1 John 1:8)...

So, you do, or do not, need to repent...? Or live a life of continual, regular repentance, or have "no need of repentance at all anymore, ever", or not...? Or what...? (Luke 15:7)...

God Bless!

John 8:34-36
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

1 John 3:5-9
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Hebrews 10:26-29
For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Well, Peter let down Jesus when he denied him 3 times and he spent a lot of time with him. The argument could be made that Peter did not have the Holy Spirit yet but Peter sinned again after the Pentecost. In Acts we find that Paul had to rebuke him for showing favoritism to Jews. So, even Peter sinned again. Also, it seems like the early church had some sin going on as well and Paul is writing to them to get their stuff together. They had probably received the Holy Spirit. So, based on scripture I think there is a moment of repentance where one is saved and becomes a Christian and then that we continue with a lifestyle of repentance.

You were right the first time, Peter didn't have the Holy Spirit until John 20, and only had his carnal flesh.

As far as Peter and Paul, Peter was between a rock and a hard place. When alone with the Gentiles, Peter ate what the Gentiles ate, but when his weak Judaizing friends were around, he didn't want to offend them. What would you have done? Peter did nothing wrong, and neither did Paul.

After all, Paul taught to do exactly what Peter did.

1 Corinthians 9
19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Only Jesus had that power.

Not so.

Jesus was conceived of the Father. He literally had the seed of the Father, the same as we do when we've received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. That is why John said, "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God." 1 John 3:9

Upvote 0

catcher2000

Nov 6, 2018
Sacramento
✟17,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You were right the first time, Peter didn't have the Holy Spirit until John 20, and only had his carnal flesh.

As far as Peter and Paul, Peter was between a rock and a hard place. When alone with the Gentiles, Peter ate what the Gentiles ate, but when his weak Judaizing friends were around, he didn't want to offend them. What would you have done? Peter did nothing wrong, and neither did Paul.

1 Corinthians 9
19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; 20 and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; 22 to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 Now this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.

Well, it may be open for discussion if Peter sinned. But I think it was pretty clear he had a change of heart when he had a vision from God in Acts about reaching out to the Gentiles.

Also, the passage below is a verse were Paul is talking to Christians who had received the Spirit and were now going back to practicing the law - definitely sin. So, it's clear to me that Christians will continue to sin. That is why John writes to confess our sins. We wouldn't need to confess them if we were to never sin again.

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3:1-5

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Well, it may be open for discussion if Peter sinned. But I think it was pretty clear he had a change of heart when he had a vision from God in Acts about reaching out to the Gentiles.

Also, the passage below is a verse were Paul is talking to Christians who had received the Spirit and were now going back to practicing the law - definitely sin. So, it's clear to me that Christians will continue to sin. That is why John write to confess our sins. We wouldn't need to confess them if we were to never sin again.

O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3:1-5

The gospel wasn't to go the the Gentiles at first, only to the House of Israel. Cornelius was the first Gentile, and God ordained.

As for the Galatians, they were being bombarded by Judaizers and were being taught they had to keep the law. Not unlike some of the false teachings on the forums. The true gospel is a true Christian does not sin, because of the seed of the Father. You saying otherwise, is not in line with the teachings of Jesus or the apostles. Yes, you might want to repent.

Good night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not so.

Jesus was conceived of the Father. He literally had the seed of the Father, the same as we do when we've received the baptism of the Holy Spirit. That is why John said, "Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God." 1 John 3:9

I don't see how that passage Literally shows that Jesus was seeded like a regular believer with faith.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then you don't know the power of the Holy Spirit. But you are not alone. Just read people on this forum. Mind boggling, but I was just like them for the first 30 years of going to church, UNTIL I received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and the desire to sin was destroyed.
I see pride in your comments. Oh well.
I see your mind is boggled even though you are fully experienced in the difficulties others have. Oh well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Repentance comes from the Greek word 'metanoeo' which means to change one's mind. This is for the better and one turns their mind with penitence from sin to God. While 1 John, says 'we can't sin', this implies a habitual tendency or attraction to sin. Scripture continuously tells us to 'Put on Christ and make no room for the flesh and its lusts' Romans 13:14.

The Christian life is a 'walk', a race (Heb 12:1-2) and a battle since scripture calls us soldiers (2 Tim 2:3). We fight against fleshly lusts daily.

Romans 12:2
“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
‭‭The Word 'renewing' is a present continuous verb which means to change one's mind (unlearn the old and learn the new). In renewal, we strip off the old man and yield to the new man. This is a process that never ends for a Christian as long as we are still in this corruptible flesh. This is repentance. It is a way of life as we mature spiritually. We don't repent with the mind of a judged sinner but as righteous sons of God. We don't approach God in fear of judgement but with a pure conscience to be holy as He is.

“For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: “I dwell in the high and holy place, With him who has a contrite and humble spirit, To revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭57:15‬

IT IS A WAY OF LIFE.
It is indeed a way of life.
:)
Just dont fall into the "im just a sinner(implying ongoing sinfulness) saved " line.

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Not so.

Jesus is God. He doesn't need the Father's seed like we do. He is the seed!

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

1 Corinthians 9
you are mixing up two things. Read Galatians 2 and why Paul rebuked Peter for playing hypocrite with the judaizers. They were not weak friends, but false teachers teaching law and grace as a means to salvation. According to them, grace wasn't enough and one had to be circumcised to be saved. Peter certainly did wrong and we are not here to judge because he was as fallen as we are.

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Just dont fall into the "im just a sinner(implying ongoing sinfulness) saved " line.
I hope that's a joke. Not my cup of tea to tread lightly with sin. The blood of Jesus is far too precious for me to be flippant about His sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Acts 2:38 Peter tells born again Jews to repent (change their mind) and enter the New Covenant. These were similar to John's disciples in Acts 19 who were born again believers but needed upgrading into the New Covenant and to receive the Holy Spirit. And similar to the believing Jews Jesus told to repent (change their mind) in Matthew 3:2 because the kingdom was at hand.

Then there is the sinner who must repent, by not sinning and living a holy life. This relates primarily to new converts to Christ and remains as the attitude of the repentant heart in all of us.

Upvote 0