Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here)...?

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
How did you miss the entire point of what I said, I don’t know.

I’m not sure how read the entire chapter of Hebrews 6 turns into a discussion about a specific translation.

I did read the entire chapter, to make sure the 3 verses I was specifying, were not out of context to what I was claiming. And within the flow from verse 1 of chapter 6 to verse 20, the verses being discussed still consist of a believer who falls/backslides and then returns. Therefore by knowing the Truth and succumbing to sin, when they return it's like crucifying Yeshua all over again.

What is interesting about my online Bible is they TITLE each chapter. And guess what the TITLE for chapter 6 of Hebrews is TITLED?

WARNING AGAINST FALLING AWAY

Here is the Greek translation:

4 For when people have once been enlightened, tasted the heavenly gift, become sharers in the Holy Spirit,
5 and tasted the goodness of God's Word and the powers of the Aeon -
6 and then have fallen away - it is impossible to renew them so that they turn from their sin, as long as for themselves they keep executing the Son of God on the stake all over again and keep holding him up to public contempt.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And yet, Peter tells us something different as I have provided twice for you. So, I disagree with your bottom line reasoning to be able to keep sinning like it's ok with God.
I you think I said that, then please use the quote function of the forum. Cause I did't.
SkyWriting said:

What I said was you didn't need to worry about going to Hell when you sinned on your way home from baptism becasue you are a miserable rotten sinner, because you stopped praying to eat dinner:

Romans 12:12
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Ephesians 6:18
Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Colossians 4:2
Continue steadfastly
in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.

See how depraved you are?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
I you think I said that, then please use the quote function of the forum. Cause I did't.
SkyWriting said:

What I said was you didn't need to worry about going to Hell when you sinned on your way home from baptism becasue you are a miserable rotten sinner, because you stopped praying to eat dinner:

Romans 12:12
Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Philippians 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Ephesians 6:18
Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Colossians 4:2
Continue steadfastly
in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.

See how depraved you are?

HAHAHAHAHA

That was actually pretty talented there!!

In my opinion, sin is a sin whether it seems harmless enough that no one will be hurt by it because they will never know of it, or to the actual breaking the thou shalt not kill Commandment.

And I am not claiming by telling a lie to keep someone from having a mental break down, or cause a heart attack and eventual death is a bad thing that will send you to hell. I think later on between you and God it's wise to say you are sorry for lying and repent of it.

To me, it's telling that lie and then later on telling another lie that leads to even more greater lies that place you in a position to eventually move onto bigger sins, because you never felt guilty of the little sins you were creating and committing. This is the place of falling away or becoming a backslider. And 2nd Peter 2 and Hebrew 6 are specific concerning the dangers of becoming to the point of falling away.

And if you read and look at the last paragraph carefully, this is what believing we have a license to sin looks like, and can eventually lead to!!

This is why I do not buy your point of view. For one and most importantly, you cannot provide a single verse of scripture proving we can sin and God say's it is cool. And in contrast, we can find several scriptures showing what happens to the saved when they become backslidden due to sinning!!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For one and most importantly, you cannot provide a single verse of scripture proving we can sin and God say's it is cool.

Ok. Just one then:

2 Corinthians 5:19
That is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

But you are correct. I could not find the word "cool" in this context. You got me there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my opinion, sin is a sin whether it seems harmless enough that no one will be hurt by it because they will never know of it, or to the actual breaking the thou shalt not kill Commandment.

I thought I covered that comment before...hmmm

James 4:17
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
Ok. Just one then:

2 Corinthians 5:19
That is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.

But you are correct. I could not find the word "cool" in this context. You got me there.

Using the actual Greek translation here:

19 how that God was in Christ, conciliating the world to Himself, not reckoning their offenses to them, and placing in us the word of the conciliation."

20 For Christ, then, are we ambassadors, as of God entreating through us. We are beseeching for Christ's sake, "Be conciliated to God!"

21 For the One not knowing sin, He makes to be a sin offering for our sakes that we may be becoming God's righteousness in Him."

This is another clear explanation of why Christ came to die for us, not that we have a license to sin HAHAHAHAHAHA

Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
I thought I covered that comment before...hmmm

James 4:17
So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

Yes, you did think you did, but I provided the Greek which explains what that entire passage actually means rather than lifting ONE scripture out of complete context!!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, you did think you did, but I provided the Greek which explains what that entire passage actually means rather than lifting ONE scripture out of complete context!!

855 OT quotes in the NT, and not one complaint about context.
You did demand just one single solitary passage, so be more careful what you ask for. All such demands will be ignored from now on, as you wish.

Luke 12:47
That servant who knows his master's will but does not get ready or follow his instructions will be beaten with many blows.

John 9:41
"If you were blind," Jesus replied, "you would not be guilty of sin. But since you claim you can see, your guilt remains."

2 Peter 2:21
It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness than to have known it and turned away from the holy commandment passed on to them.

John 13:17
If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
Nobody in the NT ever complains about scripture quoted out of context!!!

Well the biggest reason there was not much debate within the NT over what Paul wrote was because the majority of the Disciples and the Council were not privy to Paul's personal letters to the churches he wrote to. The Disciples and Council were concentrating on converting the Jews in a centralized area, where as Paul traveled to the Gentiles and then wrote letters to them. We never read where James, brother of Yeshua, leader of the Council, read Paul's letters and claimed this was great stuff. NO, we read from James specifically what his brother, God in the flesh Yeshua, taught to the Jews.

And ironically, what James and the Disciples taught to the Jews was accountability (it was YOU WHO crucified Yeshua, it was your fault, they laid the BLAME where it belonged), and here Paul is teaching a whole different message to the Gentiles.

So, it would had been interesting to see James reaction to Paul's Grace message. I am sure James would have had issues since Paul taught differently than what Christ taught.

Which is why I follow Christ, not Paul, since after all...Christ is GOD and Paul is not!!

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For one and most importantly, you cannot provide a single verse of scripture proving we can sin and God say's it is cool.

All sins are forgiven, A to Z:
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
Acts 2:38
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Isaiah 1:18
“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.
(all sins)

All unrighteousness is cleaned by faith, A to Z:
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.
Romans 4:4-5
Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,
Romans 4:3
For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well the biggest reason there was not much debate within the NT over what Paul wrote was because the majority of the Disciples and the Council were not privy to Paul's personal letters to the churches he wrote to. The Disciples and Council were concentrating on converting the Jews in a centralized area, where as Paul traveled to the Gentiles and then wrote letters to them. We never read where James, brother of Yeshua, leader of the Council, read Paul's letters and claimed this was great stuff. NO, we read from James specifically what his brother, God in the flesh Yeshua, taught to the Jews.

And ironically, what James and the Disciples taught to the Jews was accountability (it was YOU WHO crucified Yeshua, it was your fault, they laid the BLAME where it belonged), and here Paul is teaching a whole different message to the Gentiles.

So, it would had been interesting to see James reaction to Paul's Grace message. I am sure James would have had issues since Paul taught differently than what Christ taught.

Which is why I follow Christ, not Paul, since after all...Christ is GOD and Paul is not!!

And your complaints about scripture quoted out of context are so denied.
Table of Old Testament quotes in the New Testament, in English translation

Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
All sins are forgiven, A to Z:
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
John 3:16
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.
Acts 2:38
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Isaiah 1:18
“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.
(all sins)

All unrighteousness is cleaned by faith, A to Z:
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it.
Romans 4:4-5
Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due. And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,
Romans 4:3
For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”

I am not disagreeing here with you, I am saying there are no concrete verses claiming AFTER we are saved we can just sin any time we want and God ok's it.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Well, Peter and the other apostles accepted Paul as one of their own, so I don’t really think it holds water that they didn’t know what Paul was writing and/or teaching

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Show me where James agrees with Paul then!!
Here you can see the two are compatible:
6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

Cross References
1 Corinthians 7:19
Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God's commandments is what matters.

1 Corinthians 13:13
And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of these is love.

Galatians 3:26
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 5:2
Take notice: I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all.

Galatians 5:3
Again I testify to every man who gets himself circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole Law.

Galatians 6:15
For neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything. What counts is a new creation.

Ephesians 6:23
Peace to the brothers and love with faith from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Colossians 1:4
because we have heard about your faith in Christ Jesus and your love for all the saints,

Colossians 3:11
Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, or free, but Christ is all and is in all.

1 Thessalonians 1:3
and continually recalling before our God and Father your work of faith, your labor of love, and your enduring hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

James 2:17
So too, faith by itself, if it is not complemented by action, is dead.

James 2:18
But someone will say, "You have faith and I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

James 2:20
O foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is worthless?

James 2:26
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

Galatians 5:2,3
Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing…

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 6:15
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.

2 Corinthians 5:14
For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

1 Thessalonians 1:3
Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,592.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the Greek translation:

4 For when people have once been enlightened, tasted the heavenly gift, become sharers in the Holy Spirit,
5 and tasted the goodness of God's Word and the powers of the Aeon -
6 and then have fallen away - it is impossible to renew them so that they turn from their sin, as long as for themselves they keep executing the Son of God on the stake all over again and keep holding him up to public contempt.

The letter is written to Hebrews who, if they fall away from the gospel are falling back into the Mosaic Law.

It was by the Mosaic Law that Christ was crucified, by people who were under the Mosaic law. If believers in Christ put themselves back under the Mosaic Law, they are virtually keeping Christ on the cross by the Law that put Him there, held in public contempt as those who cried "Crucify Him!" intended.

Those who go back to the Mosaic Law (or the basic concept of believing that your behavior obligates God to save you) are holding Christ's crucifixion in contempt.

• Agree
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,592.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You don't know what Christ said. You weren't there. You didn't hear Him with your own ears.

All you know is what people wrote that Christ said. You have to depend totally on their inspiration by the Holy Spirit to have faith that what they said is as accurate as it needs to be.

And those same people are the ones who cherished and collected the letters of Paul and considered them inspired by the Holy Spirit as well. The same people who actually knew the apostles were already sharing Paul's letters and preaching from them.

If you doubt Paul's inspiration by the Holy Spirit, then you must necessarily doubt the inspiration of the people who wrote what Jesus said. It's all by the same Holy Spirit, and He is either infallible or He is not.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,592.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Show me where James agrees with Paul then!!

There is no conflict between James and Paul.

But there are people who read their words out of context and never understand their complete arguments.

For instance, when you understand that in the early chapters of Romans, Paul has laid out several different debate issues in a formalized debate format, then one of the things become clear is that he is speaking of "work" in a specific way that he explicitly defines for the sake of his specific debate:

Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation.

That's Paul's definition of "works" for the sake of his argument in Romans. That definition does not necessarily apply anywhere else, not even in Paul's other letters.

Paul defines "work" as something that creates an obligation to pay: "A worker is worth his wages."

A person "works" for an employer with the expectation of being paid for his labor. Paul is saying that it's impossible to work for eternal life--that nothing you do can obligate God to pay you with eternal life.

That does not conflict with anything James is saying. James is not saying that anyone passes from the state of condemnation to the state of salvation by the good works one does.

Paul is talking to Jewish Christians about the mechanics of how a person becomes saved unto Christ; James is talking about how persons who have been saved unto Christ should behave.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here) (while we are here)...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

I believe that HUMILITY is probably one of the most difficult characteristics of Messiah Yeshua - Jesus for any of us to develop.......(frankly it is only by the Holy Spirit that we can receive HUMILITY as a gift).

At the time of our conversions our understanding of what Messiah Yeshua - Jesus meant by us becoming like little children.......
probably goes way, way, way over our heads!

If we do not make genuine repentance a daily habit......
our repentance will tend to be only partial.

Matthew 18:3

Matthew 18:4

Truly humble Christians will admit to their darkest errors in order to assist others to repent. This is the Life Review of former Atheist and Art Professor and near death experiencer Howard Storm. His Life Review was pretty rough!

Reverend Howard Storm's Near-Death Experience

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The letter is written to Hebrews who, if they fall away from the gospel are falling back into the Mosaic Law.

It was by the Mosaic Law that Christ was crucified, by people who were under the Mosaic law. If believers in Christ put themselves back under the Mosaic Law, they are virtually keeping Christ on the cross by the Law that put Him there, held in public contempt as those who cried "Crucify Him!" intended.

Those who go back to the Mosaic Law (or the basic concept of believing that your behavior obligates God to save you) are holding Christ's crucifixion in contempt.
Thank you!

Upvote 0