Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here)...?

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
First you must agree that Jesus only died one time.
Jesus is not like a tea-bag that you keep using on more cups of tea?
I hope we can read that the cross is not for stirring our cup of sin each day.

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.(up to that point?)

Hebrews 9:22
Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.(up to that point?)

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.(up to that point?)

Acts 2:38
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, (up to that point?) and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.(up to that point?)

Leviticus 14:1-57
The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “This shall be the law of the leprous person for the day of his cleansing. He shall be brought to the priest, and the priest shall go out of the camp, and the priest shall look. Then, if the case of leprous disease is healed in the leprous person, the priest shall command them to take for him who is to be cleansed two live clean birds and cedarwood and scarlet yarn and hyssop. And the priest shall command them to kill one of the birds in an earthenware vessel over fresh water.
(healed up to that day?)

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, (up to that point?) but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.(up to that point?)

Matthew 28:19
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,(up to that point?)

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.(up to that point?)

1 Corinthians 3:16
Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?(up to that point?)

Acts 22:16
And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’(Do this each day?)

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.(Do this each day?)

Matthew 26:28
For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.(Do this each day?)

1 John 2:27
But the anointing that you received from him (Do this each day?) abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.

1 Peter 3:21
Baptism, (Do this each day?) which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Hebrews 13:20
Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, (fresh blood each day?)

Hebrews 10:9
Then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second.(Do this each day?)

Colossians 2:12
Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.(Raised again each day?)

Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood (fresh blood each day?) , the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,

1 Corinthians 12:13
For in one Spirit we were all baptized (Do this each day?) into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

John 11:25
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,(Live just one more day?)

John 10:9
I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved (Saved just for the day?) and will go in and out and find pasture.
(Is this a sliding or revolving door?)

Matthew 5:48
You therefore must be perfect (up until that day) , as your heavenly Father is perfect.

And when we sin we keep crucifying Him!!

Your scriptures only give what it means to be saved, it does not provide if we still sin it is ok.

And you want to know why there are no scriptures claiming we can sin and it is ok?

Because it is NOT ok to keep sinning like we have a license to sin, is why!!

Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
Scripture does says that all our sins are wiped white as snow, and that the sins of all believers are not counted against them. It also says that the "new man" has not his sin counted against him. But it would be counter productive to clearly state that the sins of believers will be forgiven no matter what. Even though that is correct. If you claim that God is with you forever, then that is what you are saying.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

Romans 8:38-39
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Titus 3:5
He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

And yet, Peter tells us something different as I have provided twice for you. So, I disagree with your bottom line reasoning to be able to keep sinning like it's ok with God.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Scripture claims Daniel was a man after god's own heart and we see where he committed, lust, fornication, adultery, lied, and then murder. Then he was called out on his sin(s) and his firstborn was killed by God.

A man after God's own heart means he loved God greater than you and I have.

He still sinned, still paid for his sins, and still sought for forgiveness.

So NO, your answer would be incorrect!!

After all, God in human form is called Son of David, so God clearly LOVED DAVID, and still held him accountable and KILLED his first son!!
Whatever, and don't you mean David and not Daniel...?

"You answer is incorrect!"... "Just because... Because...? It's "incorrect" alright...? (Starts to stutter, maybe, "cry" a bit)...

Your stupid, nun-uh, your stupid, nuh-uh, your stupid...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
lol, yes David.

I've been talking about Daniel and prophecy in another thread.

But I am still correct in how God dealt with him by killing his firstborn OVER HIS SINS!!
It is no longer eye for and eye and tooth for tooth in Christ and under the NC though, there is a way for even sinners now because of Him, don't you get that...? That's the good news, that's the gospel... For all were really sinners and/or proved and showed themselves out to be sinners, part of the whole point of the Law and the OT Law Covenant, all except for Christ Himself alone...

I think you take away from Him, and all that He has done... and, beyond that, "who He is" also, And "what He is", and all that he stands for, ect... You and your kind take that away from Him to one degree or another....

We die daily... How often do you die...? That is the new way, or the way for sinners for all who are sinners, cause all are sinners... And are under the NC or that new way...

This is the one and only way a sinner can stand before a truly Holy and Righteous God, you see... Jesus said He came for the sinners, not the righteous, (who had no need of repentance) and He proved it and showed it that by choosing to spend His time with them, instead of the (so, or self-called) righteous... Those are the one who chooses to have fellowship and communion with... Who He will choose to hear His voice...

To put the (so, or self-called) wise and the noteworthy and intellectual ones to shame, ect...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, so I didn't make a complete ass (donkey) out of myself then hopefully...?

You know, whatever man, I'll try to be better and not be so aggressive or mean, K...?

To be perfectly honest maybe I felt convicted a bit by post #345 also, I guess were all doing our best right...? Or it might have been something that I use to struggle in the past a lot with and maybe still struggle with but less now, but is not completely gone but is still there, or is area where I maybe still need to improve or could still do better in also, ect... And then when I read post #350...? well...

I felt like it was telling me I have to repent of all my sin or I'm going to hell, kind of thing... And man, that gets me sometimes...? Again, feeling like all the other questions surrounding that needing to be considered with that, are just not being considered, ect...

Anyway,

God Bless!

I’m guilty of getting frustrated sometimes and my sarcasm and arrogance sometimes kicks in. Typically I’m able to control it but sometimes my emotions overwhelm me. I think that can happen when our passion for God’s word overcomes our reserve and patience. Jesus was patient. I need to remember that.

God bless

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Scripture references for this theology?

I think Hebrews 6:6 is where this comes from:
"and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame."

• Winner
Reactions: servantofiam
Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
"and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame."

Thank You!!

It's interesting those who believe they can sin never read the scriptures concerning what damage actually happens when we choose to sin. And to think we literally keep crucifying Christ by our willingness to sin, and yet people calling themselves believers/Christians are trying to encourage others to sin :(

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You are using this verse completely out of context.

If you realize who the Book of Hebrews was writen to (Hebrew converts from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant- from the Law to faith in Christ) you will see that the explanation was for the Hebrews who were expecting that Jesus would need to be the Lamb that would be sacrificed EACH YEAR as had been done under the Old Covenant by the Levitical priesthood.

The CONTEXT of Hebrews 6 is that Christ IS NOT sacrificed over, and over, and over each year (as was done with the animal blood sacrifices of the Old Covenant), BUT that Christ only died once as a PERMANENT atonement.

So however you mistakenly see that verse as relating to mankind re-crucifying Christ because of our sin - that is a huge error.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank You!!

It's interesting those who believe they can sin never read the scriptures concerning what damage actually happens when we choose to sin. And to think we literally keep crucifying Christ by our willingness to sin, and yet people calling themselves believers/Christians are trying to encourage others to sin :(

:doh:
I would educate myself about the context of specific scripture verses rather than just pulling verses out of context.

That is studying God’s Word to UNDERSTAND what is being said, why and to which audience.

May God reveal truth to you in detailed Bible Study.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You are using this verse completely out of context.

If you realize who the Book of Hebrews was writen to (Hebrew converts from the Old Covenant to the New Covenant- from the Law to faith in Christ) you will see that the explanation was for the Hebrews who were expecting that Jesus would need to be the Lamb that would be sacrificed EACH YEAR as had been done under the Old Covenant by the Levitical priesthood.

The CONTEXT of Hebrews 6 is that Christ IS NOT sacrificed over, and over, and over each year (as was done with the animal blood sacrifices of the Old Covenant), BUT that Christ only died once as a PERMANENT atonement.

So however you mistakenly see that verse as relating to mankind re-crucifying Christ because of our sin - that is a huge error.

I actually wasn't using it. I was just pointing out the verse that was being referenced by @servantofiam. Personally, I wasn't sure it fit the narrative either.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I actually wasn't using it. I was just pointing out the verse that was being referenced by @servantofiam. Personally, I wasn't sure it fit the narrative either.
I don’t see the positive purpose of that then as it takes the thread off into a convuluted direction.

But to each their own. If you feel it glorifies God - have at it

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don’t see the positive purpose of that then as it takes the thread off into a convuluted direction.

But to each their own. If you feel it glorifies God - have at it

The question was asked in Post #367. I don't know whether it's accurate or not. I was simply helping to answer a question about what the poster was referring to. That's why I said, "I think Hebrews 6:6 is where this comes from". It turns out it was. Whether the interpretation of it is correct or not, I don't know. I'm willing to hear both sides and am not taking either side right now.

Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
:doh:
I would educate myself about the context of specific scripture verses rather than just pulling verses out of context.

That is studying God’s Word to UNDERSTAND what is being said, why and to which audience.

May God reveal truth to you in detailed Bible Study.

Like your views on Tongues no longer being used, when that verse is specifically talking about the languages of people?

:(

Let's examine this closer...

Hebrews 6:
4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

and let's compare that to 2 Peter 2:
20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

22But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

They both speak of people like us within this thread being saved and knowing the truth and then backsliding.

What is the key component to backsliding?
Believing you can sin and have a license to sin until finally that sin takes control of you!!

And I would expect nothing less than from you who believe you have a license to sin!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Like your views on Tongues no longer being used, when that verse is specifically talking about the languages of people?

Hebrews 6:
4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

22But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

They both speak of people like us within this thread being saved and knowing the truth and then backsliding.

Believing you can sin and have a license to sin until finally that sin takes control of you!!

And I would expect nothing less than from you who believe you have a license to sin!!
Unluckily, I’ve been reading your posts that seem to be a high school pep rally of opinion, rather than a coherent theological discussion.

I’m surprised you would reference your unBiblical understanding of tongues. Another great area of error.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Hebrews 6:

Again. Re-read and understand the context of Hebrews 6 the full chapter.

Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
Unluckily, I’ve been reading your posts that seem to be a high school pep rally of opinion, rather than a coherent theological discussion.

I’m surprised you would reference your unBiblical understanding of tongues. Another great area of error.

I see someone else who takes the KJV of the Bible of comical errors like it's solid gold when we have the proper translations to which I provided.

Upvote 0

servantofiam

Dec 9, 2018
Colorado
✟18,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Divorced
Again. Re-read and understand the context of Hebrews 6 the full chapter.

Here, I used the proper translation:

4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,
5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age
6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

It still means someone saved can fall away and be brought back into the fold. But this is still clear that someone being saved can fall away or become backslidden like I previously suggested.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I see someone else who takes the KJV of the Bible of comical errors like it's solid gold when we have the proper translations to which I provided.
How did you miss the entire point of what I said, I don’t know.

I’m not sure how read the entire chapter of Hebrews 6 turns into a discussion about a specific translation.

Upvote 0