Is Remaining Silent About Sin Mortally Sinful?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,663,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DIFFICULT MORAL QUESTIONS: Our reticence to speak out is understandable. Our hearers will frequently take offense. But fear shouldn’t dictate what we do.

20200828040848_5f48706cc2bf74d8cce1fc7fjpeg.jpeg

Carl Heinrich Bloch (1834-1890), “Christ and the Woman at the Well” (photo: Public Domain / Public Domain)

Q. I teach at a Catholic high school. I just graduated from college, so I am close in age to the students. I recently overheard a student talking to her friend about a cute jacket she was wearing, and the friend said she got it in the men’s section (the girl isn’t gay or anything, she just thought it was cute — even I sometimes wear my brothers’ old hand-me-downs). But then the girl said, “Boys can wear girl clothes, too.” Although I don’t think they should, I didn’t speak up and correct her. Another time at Halloween a girl said she dressed up “as a Playboy bunny” and again I didn’t speak up. Did I commit a mortal sin by not speaking up in these situations? Am I obligated to go back and repair the situations by speaking what I believe to be true? — Maria

We’ve all experienced this — staying quiet when we could have said something on a controversial matter of importance.

Continued below.
Is Remaining Silent About Sin Mortally Sinful?