Nov 23, 2013
✟30,996.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He never said that. he said "go back and fix the messed up country you're from then come back and show us how it's done! That isn't welcoming her back as our equal, that's putting her in a position of being our teacher! That isn't racism.

What mastery of rationalization. Of course he wouldn't welcome her back, much less as a teacher. You make like this was some sort of serious comment, almost a compliment. I have to say this is one of the most bizarre comments that I've seen on these forums.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What mastery of rationalization. Of course he wouldn't welcome her back, much less as a teacher. You make like this was some sort of serious comment, almost a compliment.
This was not a mastery of rationalization, this was me pointing out what he actually said instead of what they were accusing him of saying.

• Agree
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,167.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What mastery of rationalization. Of course he wouldn't welcome her back, much less as a teacher. You make like this was some sort of serious comment, almost a compliment. I have to say this is one of the most bizarre comments that I've seen on these forums.
It is a typical if not totally reasonable for people
to react badly to outsiders comjng to criticize.
It didn't strike me as fair and reasonable on Trumps part
but fair and reasonable lacks a big following in American
politics.

Whether such talk improved ot harmed Trumps overall sanding,
who knows. It didn't seem to me worse than calling ones political
opponents "deplorables". Or " bitter clingers".

As for whether he'd welcome someone back
it is as unreasonable as Trumps demand to predict with certainty
what he'd do if she pulled it off.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People here disagree as to what is racism and what actions are racist. Can't get to step one.

Racism is wrong and should not continue (even if it does anyway, as it has). Disagreement over it is no excuse, and getting to any step one is irrelevant. Racism distinguishes some that are considered one group to be treated unequally from others. That, and letting it happen, is always an injustice. And injustice is not from God's will.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Racism is wrong and should not continue (even if it does anyway, as it has). Disagreement over it is no excuse, and getting to any step one is irrelevant.
That rather stunning claim says that it isn't important whether someone or something actually is racist when they are accused of it.

Presumably, something bigger is at stake and it justifies using the term incorrectly or even slanderously.

• Agree
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,167.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Racism is wrong and should not continue (even if it does anyway, as it has). Disagreement over it is no excuse, and getting to any step one is irrelevant. Racism distinguishes some that are considered one group to be treated unequally from others. That, and letting it happen, is always an injustice. And injustice is not from God's will.

You make it sound so simple, so clear cut.
Its not.
And for those of us who do not accept the reality
of the God you choose to believe in, still less your
chosen interpretation of what someone says this God
wants, invoking that as a consideration gets nowhere.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Its not.

I just wanted to say that if it is a discussion about what constitutes a sin, why would one not consider the wishes of their God? Doesn't the word about sin come from whatever version of god one follows?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its not.

The premise of the thread is based upon belief in that God. If there is no God or at the very least least no gods then nothing is a sin. Sin in the way it is being used by the OP is a religious term not a secular idea one. One can only sin in relation to a god of some kind. If we are speaking of sin, we are speaking of opposing the will of some form of a god. In the case of this thread that would be the God of the Bible. If you don't believe in that God then the entire topic of the thread ought to be irrelevant to you. I am sure that there are gods that people worship that find racism (even if defined as I do as "seeing one's own race superior to others" or evenif one defined it adding the term "in every way") as a fine and wonderful thing, but this thread is obviously about whether the God of Abraham considers racism to be antithetical to His will. When speaking of the God of Abraham, one might suggest that He deigned to raise a particular family line above all others but that is not the same as placing a race above others. The sticking point in the question for me is the definition of racism. Not everyone agrees with my definition of racism. Many think it is too concise and too precise and not long enough or vague enough to allow them to see it whenever it is convenient to do so.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a thing called Black privilege that a lot of liberals really enjoy picking up on.
It's when someone uses the word racist to get what they want. Liberals actually love this more than a lot of black people who were inadvertently raised on it do.
Liberals are aware of what invoking the word racist is or rather "was" capable of, because its losing its grip fast now that people are catching on to it and the fact that Trump is doing things that liberals dont want to see in the country, or rather was doing for the country before they literally stole the election in the most retarded way, use the word racist to make Trump look worse.
If you're wondering what Trump did for the US that the person running the US took away, was he helped stop human trafficking by putting up a practical working wall on the border.
Remember a few years back, they rescued several trafficked people, some in OH, some in MI, and in surrounding states. 20 here, 30 there.
A man named Timothy Ballard is responsible for a lot of the rescues and he talks about a young woman who they rescued and after interviewing her they came to the horrible realization that she had been raped around 60,000 times in her life time which is the norm for children trafficked from Mexico into the US and when they asked her what would have helped she said, a wall. If she had been able to reach out to someone like they could when the wall was actually up and running the way it should have her chances would have been much better and she would have reached out to someone.
So when a lot of republicans see you call Trump racist and even why the word racist is taking on a sickening sound is because when we see liberals use it to remove a wall so more human traffickers can cross the borders so they feel good about the suffering who want to cross we think of things like a child being raped 60,000 times and it puts liberals in a true light for us.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,167.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just wanted to say that if it is a discussion about what constitutes a sin, why would one not consider the wishes of their God? Doesn't the word about sin come from whatever version of god one follows?
If by " sin" you mean only that which someone says is God's
concern maybe a Christians - only space is better.
Not so many fresh viewpoints that way.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If by " sin" you mean only that which someone says is God's
concern maybe a Christians - only space is better.
Not so many fresh viewpoints that way.
Correct, I was just referring to the OP title. All opinions are welcome of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There is a thing called Black privilege that a lot of liberals really enjoy picking up on.
No there isn't and no they don't.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Albion said:
That rather stunning claim says that it isn't important whether someone or something actually is racist when they are accused of it.

Presumably, something bigger is at stake and it justifies using the term incorrectly or even slanderously.

No, there was nothing stunning about it, when I am speaking about personal responsibility. Regardless if there is accusation or not, personal introspection is called for when there is awareness of racist issues. Are you treating any others different only because of personal appearance you see? That is a rhetorical question, I am not asking for a response. But doing that is prejudice, and racism is any of that which is based on the perceived "different" race of any of those others so treated. And I speak for understanding that we, all people, are really from the same human ancestors and there is no scientific basis to define human people as being of different races, as there is no absolute physical distinction between any groups and others. There are overlapping distinct characteristics not corresponding to other ones.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,167.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, there was nothing stunning about it, when I am speaking about personal responsibility. Regardless if there is accusation or not, personal introspection is called for when there is awareness of racist issues. Are you treating any others different only because of personal appearance you see? That is a rhetorical question, I am not asking for a response. But doing that is prejudice, and racism is any of that which is based on the perceived "different" race of any of those others so treated. And I speak for understanding that we, all people, are really from the same human ancestors and there is no scientific basis to define human people as being of different races, as there is no absolute physical distinction between any groups and others. There are overlapping distinct characteristics not corresponding to other ones.

Everyone reacts to others according to,their
appearance. For anyone to claim that they dont, and that
to do so is racist and prejudiced is such
a misrepresentation as to be plain ridiculous.

Upvote 0