Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Intuitively, I think it would be immoral not to put a beloved dog to sleep when her time comes. On the other hand, I cannot make myself believe in euthanasia for people. I can't explain why, but the humanity you are showing for your pet through alleviating its pain, is not the same when applied to humans in the same situation. Respect for sentient beings demands for us to alleviate suffering, but at the same time every moment of our human existence is especially sacred.

Upvote 0

Bowser

Oct 12, 2003
Silent Planet
Visit site
✟407.00
Faith
Christian
christianbeginning said:
Hi - I am a new member and have a need to ask this question - it's bothering me profoundly and need some Christian guidance. Is it moral and ethical and ok if you are a Christian to put your dog to sleep? It pains me tremendously - she was part of my family and it just hurts so much that she is gone. Was it ok for her to be put to sleep? She was so sick but I need some guidance. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I am so sad I don;t know what else to do.
Putting your dog to sleep is not immoral or unethical. The only thing it is is emotional.

Upvote 0

tcampen

Veteran
Jul 14, 2003
✟18,632.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
ChristFollowers said:
Read Eccles 3:19
18 I also thought, "As for men, God tests them so that they may see that they are like the animals. 19 Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath [2] ; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. 20 All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. 21 Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal [3] goes down into the earth?"

hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm Very interesting.

Upvote 0

savvy

I always finish what I....
Jul 30, 2004
Memphis, TN
✟1,560.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with the responses here. I think it is very selfish to prolong an animal's pain for your own benefit. Even though we love our pets, sometimes it's best to let them go. I had to put my dog down last year, and at the time I wondered if I should. She had a neurological disorder and though she wasn't in pain, she was gradually becoming more paralized. She had weekly shots and daily pills for a few months which helped for awhile, but the worse this disease progresses the less affect they had. I think it would have been cruel to keep her here longer, once she lost her ability to walk anymore and was loosing control of her bodily functions; it really frustrated and confused her. It is merciful to ease their suffering, I think, and gives a very quick and painless death.

Upvote 0