Will God Forgive Me for Putting My Pet to Sleep?

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for all of the advice. I should explain that I'm not putting her down soon or anything. Right now she's fine and healthy. I just wanted to have a discussion on the issue now so that when the time comes, I'll know what to do and it won't hurt my conscience as much.
I never thought you wanted more than a conversation. Your original post said you were not putting her down. :)

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never thought you wanted more than a conversation. Your original post said you were not putting her down. :)
I think some people misunderstood me and thought that me having to make that decision was soon. I understand a cat can live for up to 20 years (I heard of one that lived to 36 but I don't think my cat can beat that record).

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My cat is fifteen years old and I love her very much. She's such a sweet cat that doesn't ask for much other than love, food, water and places to sleep. I know that she's approaching the end of her life, even though right now she doesn't show any signs of it. Eventually, my family will have to "put her down", which is what I understand happens to most pets when they get old and won't likely recover from something. Yes, you can wait for your pet to die naturally, but people hate seeing their pets in pain and suffering. I probably will, too, but honestly I don't know if I could bring myself to euthanize my cat if she was suffering. I'd much rather be there by her side and wait for her to die naturally. For all I know, even an old, dying pet doesn't want to die even if there's little hope of survival.

But is this acceptable? Do we as humans have the authority to dictate when a life ends and when to take it? Even if it's just an animal life? I understand that a lot of Christians are against euthanasia and claim that we don't have the authority to take a life just because a person is suffering, and neither does that person. But it seems like this doctrine only extends to humans and not pets.
Animals are not humans and are not held to the same standard. "Thous shalt not kill" is human to human.
Blessings

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Coup de grace. The "stroke of grace" or "blow of mercy". I find in my own walk with Christ, that God is a discerner of the heart, and big on one's intentions. Even more so than any individual act in of itself. Killing a Nazi soldier, and hiding his body to protect hidden jews in your care. Stealing a slave, and helping them flee their master, and rightful owner in the eyes of the law. Picking fruit from an orchard you do not own, or killing a king's deer to feed your family. Rahab lying to soldiers to protect jewish spies in Jericho.

I feel God, that allowed the sacrifice of his own Son understands loss, and the pain of the death of a loved one. And for you to show such love for a creature of his creation shows your moral character. I also believe we are the caretakers of the animals that are placed into our care. While I would not put down an animal just because it is old, I have put some down simply because I could not properly care for their condition, and I refused to allow them to suffer under my care. I find it more humane to put down a failing animal that screeches in pain, and can barely walk, than force them to live to alleviate my own guilt or pain for having putting them down.

Hardest thing I ever did was walking my beloved Cinnamon in, and carrying her out. But she passed in my arms, wagging her tail as I pet her. She knew she was loved. Still is...

• Friendly
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,376.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My cat is fifteen years old and I love her very much. She's such a sweet cat that doesn't ask for much other than love, food, water and places to sleep. I know that she's approaching the end of her life, even though right now she doesn't show any signs of it. Eventually, my family will have to "put her down", which is what I understand happens to most pets when they get old and won't likely recover from something. Yes, you can wait for your pet to die naturally, but people hate seeing their pets in pain and suffering. I probably will, too, but honestly I don't know if I could bring myself to euthanize my cat if she was suffering. I'd much rather be there by her side and wait for her to die naturally. For all I know, even an old, dying pet doesn't want to die even if there's little hope of survival.

But is this acceptable? Do we as humans have the authority to dictate when a life ends and when to take it? Even if it's just an animal life? I understand that a lot of Christians are against euthanasia and claim that we don't have the authority to take a life just because a person is suffering, and neither does that person. But it seems like this doctrine only extends to humans and not pets.
If you eat meat, or wear leather, you are making decisions all the time on when animals die. Since we see those practices were okay in the Bible, there is nothing to fear. It is merciful to put a pet out of its misery. How sad for you, though. I pray you get a new cat, maybe a rescue one that desperately needs a home and love.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand that a lot of Christians are against euthanasia and claim that we don't have the authority to take a life just because a person is suffering, and neither does that person. But it seems like this doctrine only extends to humans and not pets.
Yeah, this is because humans are made in the image of God, animals not.

Sad for you though. Sucks that our animals don't live as long as we do

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,085,376.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Again, in the Bible even the high priests ate meat. And leather shoes and so on were common for Israelites. Therefore it is not Biblical to say that we cannot end an animal's life, particularly one that is suffering. Where in the Bible are we given instructions telling us not to put a pet, or any animal, down? The Bible warns us sternly not to add to, or subtract from, its words.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All we can really do here is give opinions.

While I don't like the idea of killing an animal for sport, killing one for survival is another matter. When God said "Thou shalt not kill," He was talking about other human beings. Animal sacrifices and the eating of meat in the Bible would indicate that He didn't forbid the taking of an animal's life the way He forbade taking a human's life. (And again if it's for survival, even taking another human life isn't always murder.)

If an animal is suffering, I believe having them put to sleep in a veterinary office is more merciful than watching them continue to suffer. I sympathize with the agonizing decision. Two years ago we lost a dearly beloved 11-year-old cat who had inoperable cancer. He was suffering terribly. We had the final appointment made, but we weren't even sure he was going to make it through the night before the appointment. He couldn't walk more than a few steps without having to stop and rest. When we brought him in, he was barely conscious. Some cats purr as they die, and he was being a little motor boat. His circulation had shut down so badly that the veterinarians were unable to find a vein good enough to take the injection. After several unsuccessful attempts, they realized he wasn't purring anymore. There was no need for an injection. This told me we had not jumped the gun or made a mistake. It was his time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

harmonmarie

Apr 24, 2019
MURRAY
✟9,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The way I look at it, if it's Biblically sound to put an animal down for food or clothing, it is most likely not sinful to put one down out of mercy although I can't place a scripture that explicitly says one way or the other. However, I have worked in the veterinary medicine field for about 8 years and have assisted with many a euthanasia and have never felt a conviction on my heart about it as I have with many other points in my life. Although it's not a joyous part of my job, I find euthanizing suffering pets preferable to sending an animal home that will most likely be in pain for a few hours to days until it passes. However, that is not my decision to make nor is it my place to judge either way and it's never an easy decision. For what it's worth, it may be a good idea to run some blood work at her next vet visit just to make sure everything is looking good with her kidneys, thyroid, etc. It would likely give you peace of mind :)

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But is this acceptable?
Yes.

Do we as humans have the authority to dictate when a life ends and when to take it?
Yes.

Even if it's just an animal life?
Yes.

There are life-saving remedies that can be administered to people which animals don't have access to. It comes down to a question of ending their suffering or prolonging it. I'm not saying it's an easy decision to make. But there comes a time when there's nothing else that can realistically be done to alleviate the animal's pain and misery.

I have an American Eskimo puppy named Lucy. Sooner or later, her time will come. I dread having to make the call on that. But it could come to that in the end. And if it does, I'll be with her and hold her while she's let go. It isn't ideal but death is a part of life. Animals understand that... and better than some people do, I think.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd say yes. Humans are important to God. We have souls. So putting down a human is against Gods will. Granted in the state of being in a brain dead coma, I think God would understand. Where as a animal is just that, an animal. That aside would God want a animal to suffer? My cat had a tumor on her chest she kept licking constantly and she wouldn't stop bleeding. So we had to put her down. Our other cat started having balance issues, bathroom issues then eventually couldn't stand on his back legs. The next day we put him down too.

Obviously putting a pet down is hard. They are family members. I still have regrets even though I know I had no choice. But like I said, for lack of better words, in the end pets are just animals in Gods eyes. He wouldn't want us to let them suffer just so we can keep them around longer.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Grand, if your cat is just old, don't worry about when the end will come. My last cat was 19.5 years old. If your kitty (what is her name?) is truly dying, she will let you know when it is time. You will just "know it." Cats do understand death and know when their days or hours are numbered near the time it happens. Of course, it is not easy for you to figure it out because you want to downplay a pet's suffering and deny it is dying (which is normal) out of love - not wanting the bad day to come. But your cat will show you signs it is time to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First I feel I must say that pets are not as important as people. Animals are not people. You didn't say they were, I just think it's important to acknowledge this.

Second, Genesis 1:26. We have dominion over animals. I think that at least implies a stewardship responsibility. I think it also means the decision of when, why, and how an pet should be euthanized rightly belongs to the owner.

Third, Proverbs 31:6 (ESV) Give strong drink to the one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress. I think this scripture suggests we should, if possible, reduce the suffering of those who are perishing. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't apply this to pets as well. If the animal is clearly in pain, ease their suffering with drugs.

For me personally, I have euthanized pets in the past when these criteria were met:

• If I trust the consulting veterinarian's assessment.
  • There is no possibility that they will recover appreciable quality of life. In other words, the consulting veterinarian felt highly confident that the condition was terminal and no significant improvement was possible.
  • The animal was in obvious physical pain or unable to walk/move under its own power.
No matter what, it sucks to deal with this every single time it happens. When the time comes, I hope the Lord will comfort you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I believe putting down a pet is not acceptable to God.
God is the giver of life.
Who are we to take it away?

God calls animals to heaven. Pets are often euthanized when they hear God telling them it is time. I know my last cat, Patricia, would have died on her own the same day she was euthanized. She would have died alone, hiding somewhere in the condo instead of on my bed with me and Mom. I put my left hand on her. Why should this be unacceptable to God?

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Grand, if your cat is just old, don't worry about when the end will come. My last cat was 19.5 years old. If your kitty (what is her name?) is truly dying, she will let you know when it is time. You will just "know it." Cats do understand death and know when their days or hours are numbered near the time it happens. Of course, it is not easy for you to figure it out because you want to downplay a pet's suffering and deny it is dying (which is normal) out of love - not wanting the bad day to come. But your cat will show you signs it is time to go.
My cat's name is Daisy and she turned 15 recently.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My current cat's name is Daisy too! I also have a dog-in-law named Daisy.
Never heard of a dog-in-law. I think Daisy is more of a dog name anyway, but my mom was the one that named her. It's still a good name for a cat.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Never heard of a dog-in-law. I think Daisy is more of a dog name anyway, but my mom was the one that named her. It's still a good name for a cat.

A dog in-law is a dog who was adopted by your sibling's spouse before they got married.

Daisy is one of the top 10 names for cats. She responds to it though, so I am happy.

Back to the topic: NEVER think Daisy is "just an animal." She deserves to go to heaven peacefully as one of your family members when the time comes (hopefully several years from now).

Upvote 0