Lybrah

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
✟62,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will just get to the point: Is Purgatory real? Didn't Christ already pay for our sins (taking the punishment for us) when He died in the Cross? Aren't we covered in the blood of the lamb? This life on Earth is a waiting place for us; why go to another waiting place? Aren't we made clean by accepting His death?

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I will just get to the point: Is Purgatory real? Didn't Christ already pay for our sins (taking the punishment for us) when He died in the Cross? Aren't we covered in the blood of the lamb? This life on Earth is a waiting place for us; why go to another waiting place? Aren't we made clean by accepting His death?
Well again this is my stance on it everyone on here will have their own as well.

1. Dying on the cross paved a way for us to yes be free for sins... through his payment of them on the cross. HOwever, what's clear even outside the bible is that we are still born into sin but thanks to JESUS now we have a way to be free of sins through salvation and a process called sanctification.

2. I don't believe purgatory is real.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If it's a serious question and not just a way to launch a polemic, you might try asking in the Catholic forum, One Bread One Body, and you might learn something. Here I suspect it's going to just be an argument. And I don't want to get roped into yet another waste of time argument.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, Christ Himself gave us the account of Lazarus and the Rich man, where the rich man ends up in "Hades", suffering torment....

And....in revelations, we learn that later in time, after the day of judgement which all from Hades will face, see, then "death and Hades" will be cast into the "lake of fire" presumably there to be destroyed. Perhaps only immortal ones, like fallen angels could endure in the lake of fire.

So, aren't we made clean by Christ, when we come to Him? Yes. But do we stay clean? To consider that, read about the washing of the feet. We are told to "confess our sins to one another". See? We have to have an ongoing process of washing our feet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Perhaps only immortal ones, like fallen angels could endure in the lake of fire.
Nothing endures.(in the lake of fire). That is not written that anyone or anything endures in the lake of fire, is it?
and then, for those not in the lake,
Angels have no longer life than those who are granted life in Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No... purgatory is contrary to Biblical teachings about the Atonement....
although salvation is by election and not by "accepting" something.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟934,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Heaven is perfect. Nothing imperfect can enter Heaven. No one on earth is perfect. Everyone who is destined for Heaven needs purification. Purgatory provides purification. Purgatory is real. And this is a forum notorious for bashing Catholics, buh bye.

Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nothing endures.(in the lake of fire). That is not written that anyone or anything endures in the lake of fire, is it?
and then, for those not in the lake,
Angels have no longer life than those who are granted life in Christ Jesus.

Yes.... it is written that both people and angels "endure in the lake of fire".
The Bible is clear they "endure" for eternity. Their "torment" continues forever.
Ask if you want me to provide Scriptures.

However.... if they can reach the END of eternity/forever... then they can be saved,
because their sins would be PAID. Until their sins are PAID they must "endure" in torment.

Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Heaven is perfect. Nothing imperfect can enter Heaven. No one on earth is perfect. Everyone who is destined for Heaven needs purification. Purgatory provides purification. Purgatory is real. And this is a forum notorious for bashing Catholics, buh bye.

Purgatory does not provide purification... the Atonement of Christ does that
for the SOUL of all His "sheep"... and the resurrection of an "incorruptible" body
does that for the BODY of the saved, at the resurrection of the Seventh Trumpet [1Co 15]

But, I am sincerely curious, what SCRIPTURES do you have to support
some place called purgatory where those "indwelt" with the Holy Spirit
need to be purified?

Upvote 0

Lybrah

Apr 26, 2016
Maryland
✟62,145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm not bashing anybody. My family is Catholic. I was just wondering because if it is real, I need to start praying for my grandparents.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm not bashing anybody. My family is Catholic. I was just wondering because if it is real, I need to start praying for my grandparents.
You've seen the kind of responses you get to your question here. It's kind of like this xkcd comic. xkcd: Argument

If you want something other than what you see here already, and something with some substance ask the question again, but in that corner of these forums called 'One Bread One Body'.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What would you pray for?
If the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ did not PAY for their sins....
then what good are your prayers?

BTW... while the Atonement of the Lord gave us the "earnest" of the "indwelling"
Holy Spirit when our SOULS are "translated" from death to life. Our salvation is
guaranteed at that point... however it is not completed until are BODIES are
raised "incorruptible"... which happens at the resurrection [1Co 15].

Our loved ones are either "born again" before they die...
or they have no Savior and must pay for their own sins.

Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You've seen the kind of responses you get to your question here. It's kind of like this xkcd comic. xkcd: Argument

If you want something other than what you see here already, and something with some substance ask the question again, but in that corner of these forums called 'One Bread One Body'.

So the Bible does NOT command us to defend our faith?
We are to hide in a "safe space" instead?

I mean no disrespect to you - only to demonstrate that
(a) The Bible tells us to EXPECT opposition and
(b) The Bible COMMANDS us to defend our Gospel and
(c) The Bible teaches the "fruit" of Saints is not to hide our Gospel

However, if I am wrong, I am open to correction (from Scripture).
Do you have any SCRIPTURE that supports the doctrine of purgatory?
That was the TOPIC of the thread... is purgatory BIBLICAL?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="5thKingdom, post: 71411980, member: 375390"]Yes.... it is written that both people and angels "endure in the lake of fire".
The Bible is clear they "endure" for eternity. Their "torment" continues forever.

However.... if they can reach the END of eternity/forever... then they can be saved,
because their sins would be PAID. Until their sins are PAID they must "endure" in torment.

.[/QUOTE
That's beyond ridiculous into fairy tale land.

Upvote 0

5thKingdom

Mar 23, 2015
✟35,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
QUOTE="5thKingdom, post: 71411980, member: 375390"]Yes.... it is written that both people and angels "endure in the lake of fire".

.[/QUOTE
That's beyond ridiculous into fairy tale land.

Is that your "opinion"... or do you have some SCRIPTURE (authority) to support it?
(a) unsaved people and fallen angels must endure the (eternal) Lake of Fire
(b) to pay for their sins.

What PART of that do you think is "ridiculous into fairy tale land?
Please be specific and offer SCRIPTURE to support your personal "feelings".

Upvote 0