Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Couldn't the Church, the pillar of truth, and the seat of Peter, not stop the government?

Have you ever tried to stop a king, queen, or hungry state official? Usually, the heretic was handed over to THE STATE, and once there, the Church had no opportunity to take back the judgement. So then, the greedy state officials would not only burn this poor soul at the stake, but would confiscate any property (real estate, personal property, finances, etc.) for themselves.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Have you ever tried to stop a king, queen, or hungry state official? Usually, the heretic was handed over to THE STATE, and once there, the Church had no opportunity to take back the judgement. So then, the greedy state officials would not only burn this poor soul at the stake, but would confiscate any property (real estate, personal property, finances, etc.) for themselves.
Did they ever try? I guess the answer to that is no?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever really studied the Inquisition? Read how the people burned at the stake were burned by the STATE, and not the Church.
At the direction of the church, that is. But I still haven't heard of any Methodists being involved in the Inquisition, so the idea that it's unfair to criticize the church that instituted them and which was served by them seems a bit weird to me, to say the least.

I'm not one who makes a big deal out of that piece of history, but to deny that it's something that applies to one denomination more than the next one is not credible IMHO. And yes, I am familiar with the history of the Inquisitions.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did they ever try? I guess the answer to that is no?

Ever heard of Joan of Arc?

But in a lot of cases, while there might be a monk with a crucifix on a long pole, the Church was pointedly NOT invited to the burning of a heretic (criminal, poor victim, call it what you will)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ever heard of Joan of Arc?

But in a lot of cases, while there might be a monk with a crucifix on a long pole, the Church was pointedly NOT invited to the burning of a heretic (criminal, poor victim, call it what you will)
Burned alive. Torture too, and the Church said nothing? Is that correct?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
She was declared guilty of heresy by a Catholic church court.

Saint Joan of Arc (French: Jeanne d'Arc) (often known as "The Maid of Orléans") is a recognized saint of the Roman Catholic Church. Although she was excommunicated and burnt at the stake for heresy by pro-English clergy in 1431, central Church officials would later nullify her excommunication, declaring her a martyr unjustly executed for a secular vendetta. Her legend would grow from there, leading to her beatification in 1909 and her canonization in 1920

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Saint Joan of Arc (French: Jeanne d'Arc) (often known as "The Maid of Orléans") is a recognized saint of the Roman Catholic Church. Although she was excommunicated and burnt at the stake for heresy by pro-English clergy in 1431, central Church officials would later nullify her excommunication, declaring her a martyr unjustly executed for a secular vendetta. Her legend would grow from there, leading to her beatification in 1909 and her canonization in 1920
All true...but mainly irrelevant to the fact of her having been burned pursuant to a church ruling.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
All true...but mainly irrelevant to the fact of her having been burned pursuant to a church ruling.

Please read MY last posting. You corrected me that this was not the subject, but purgatory was. I said,
True, this got a bit far afield.

Let's just drop this now.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes. If the church new that people were getting killed, because of their ruling, then that church is guilty, because they could have stopped it by not not ruling against anyone.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can you KNOW, for certain, that Ted Kennedy is in hell? It could be that his last conscious thought was "My Jesus, save me." I DON'T KNOW, and neither do you. And if all that you are looking at is one side of the traditionalist fence, then you are wrong, as you are looking at the other side through the lens of the first. And, you don't get to judge who is in heaven and who is in hell. That is Jesus' job.
And just how does "salvation is assured as long as one dies as a Catholic, whether it be a Ted Kennedy type or a traditionalist" translate into me saying I KNOW, for certain, that Ted Kennedy is in hell?" Answer me.

The point was not that Hell was assured for Teddy K (though he certainly was sadly headed there, regardless of the nice reply the pope gave to his impenitent letter), but that contrary to Scripture, this manifestly impenitent proabortion, prosodomite pol was counted and treated as a member in life and in death, even receiving a church funeral (thus showing Rome's interpretation of canon law), in which what was conveyed was salvation, not damnation.

And which example is typical of such liberal RCs, and these examples teach other RCs that they also have strong hope of Heaven as like liberal Catholics may, due to faith in the Catholic church to obtain entrance into Heaven for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most Methodists, Anglicans, Lutherans, and most other Christians do not catch the blame for the Inquisition, or any of the stupid things that some bad popes have done. and most Methodists, Anglicans, Lutherans, and most other Christians have not been burned at the stake, persecuted--even on these fora--for what they believe.
Only because they did not live in Catholic countries during the period when obedience to the pope required rulers to exterminate all the heretics.

However, there have been plenty of Protestant martyrs.
In the centuries of Christianity from October 31, 1517 (the day Luther posted the 95 Theses to the door of Wittenberg Chapel) to this day, there has been a streak of anti-Catholicism among most Christians. Sometimes not so bad, but there have been other times when Catholics were not allowed to own property in certain states or counties.
You would have thought they would not follow the gracious treatment of Rome in "other times." As per,

Canons of the Ecumenical Fourth Lateran Council (canon 3), 1215:

We excommunicate and anathematize every heresy that raises against the holy, orthodox and Catholic faith which we have above explained; condemning all heretics under whatever names they may be known,...As to the property of the condemned, if they are laymen, let it be confiscated; if clerics, let it be applied to the churches from which they received revenues. But those who are only suspected, due consideration being given to the nature of the suspicion and the character of the person, unless they prove their innocence by a proper defense, let them be anathematized and avoided by all until they have made suitable satisfaction; but if they have been under excommunication for one year, then let them be condemned as heretics.

Secular authorities, whatever office they may hold, shall be admonished and induced and if necessary compelled by ecclesiastical censure, that as they wish to be esteemed and numbered among the faithful, so for the defense of the faith they ought publicly to take an oath that they will strive in good faith and to the best of their ability to exterminate in the territories subject to their jurisdiction all heretics pointed out by the Church; so that whenever anyone shall have assumed authority, whether spiritual or temporal, let him be bound to confirm this decree by oath.

But if a temporal ruler, after having been requested and admonished by the Church, should neglect to cleanse his territory of this heretical foulness, let him be excommunicated by the metropolitan and the other bishops of the province. If he refuses to make satisfaction within a year, let the matter be made known to the supreme pontiff, that he may declare the ruler’s vassals absolved from their allegiance and may offer the territory to be ruled lay Catholics, who on the extermination of the heretics may possess it without hindrance and preserve it in the purity of faith; the right, however, of the chief ruler is to be respected as long as he offers no obstacle in this matter and permits freedom of action.
I try to approach everyone on these fora as Christians, I attempt to love them all as I love myself (or maybe a little better). But when someone begins bashing the Pope, or the RCC, I get a bit worked up!
If I belonged to an elitist "one true church" in which I much found my security then I likely would get a bit worked up at least as i do with people wresting Scripture. Meanwhile, the people I see most attacking the pope these days are traditional RCs for not being consistent with past RC teaching. But which is allowed, in contrast attacking the pope for not being consistent with NT teaching, if the reproof comes from those without.

Note to readers. You may want to save such material as the above, seeing as sometimes they disappear without any record, as happened to a list of Catholic teachings posted by me in a recent thread, which showed the manner of submission to papal teaching was enjoined in times past, contrary to what traditionalists engage in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Couldn't the Church, the pillar of truth, and the seat of Peter, not stop the government?
Not when the State was required to exterminate the heretics by the falsely so-called "seat of Peter."

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Torture was also a tool of the State. See this link.
Despite placing the infamous Inquisitions in your washing machine set to "spin" to protect "the Church," the fact is that even your first misleading source admits:

"[Torture] was first authorized by Pope Innocent IV in 1252—not as a mode of punishment, but as a means of discovering truth."

For indeed, Pope Innocent in Ad extirpanda: required:
The head of state or ruler must force all the heretics whom he has in custody,{8} provided he does so without killing them or breaking their arms or legs, as actual robbers and murderers of souls and thieves of the sacraments of God and Christian faith, to confess their errors and accuse other heretics whom they know, and specify their motives, {9} and those whom they have seduced, and those who have lodged them and defended them, as thieves and robbers of material goods are made to accuse their accomplices and confess the crimes they have committed.

(31) The head of state or ruler must send one of his aides, chosen by the Diocesan if there is one, with the aforesaid inquisitors obtained from the Apostolic See, as often as they shall wish, into the jurisdiction of the state and the district. This aide, as the aforesaid inquisitors shall have determined, will compel three men or more, reliable witnesses, or, if it seem good to them, the whole neighborhood, to testify to the aforesaid inquisitors if they have detected any heretics, or want to expose their motives...

(32)The head of state or ruler must, within ten days after the accusation, complete the following tasks: the destruction of the houses, the imposition of the fines, the consigning and dividing-up of the valuables that have been found or seized, all of which have already been described in this decree.

(34)The head of state or ruler must divide up all the property of the heretics that is seized or discovered by the aforesaid officials, and the fines exacted from these heretics, in the form and manner following: one-third shall go to the government of the state or district. The second as a reward of the industry of the office shall go to the officials who handled this particular case. The third shall be deposited in some secure place to be kept by the aforesaid Diocesan bishop and inquisitors,and spent as they shall think fit to promote the faith and extirpate{11} heretics, this policy prevailing in spite of any statute that has been or shall be enacted against this dividing-up of the heretics' property. http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/01p/1252-05-15,_SS_Innocentius_IV,_Bulla_'Ad_Extirpanda',_EN.pdf

It is such history as this that was partly instrumental in the prohibition of a state religion by the First Amendment, though it did not mean the state could not affirm religion in general.

The fact that the state did what the church required, exterminating the "heretics" and employed torture as sanctioned by the pope does not mean the state is only to be blamed for torture, or ever bears primary responsibility, any more than that the Romans are for the death of Christ.

For those who were tortured and killed by the state were in the hands of the latter because "The Church" commanded Catholic rulers to exterminate the heretics, as a prior post substantiated, and to which can be added Pope Innocent III, in Cum ex Officii Nostri of 1207:

In order altogether to remove the patrimony of St. Peter from heretics, we decree as a perpetual law, that whatsoever heretic, especially if he be a Patarene, shall be found therein, shall immediately be taken and delivered to the secular court to be punished according to the law. Cum ex Officii Nostri Pope Innocent III, 1207, Inquisition, by Edward Peters, p. 49 review

Moreover, explaining torture simply as a means of "discovering truth" is merely a sophism for compelling, coercing confessions, even of suspected witnesses, as basically guilty based on mere suspicion.

Also,
The requirement that torture only be used once was effectively meaningless in practice as it was interpreted as authorizing torture with each new piece of evidence that was produced and by considering most practices to be a continuation (rather than repetition) of the torture session (non ad modum iterationis sed continuationis).[1]
Furthermore, the pope gave an economic incentive to the State to convict heretics by giving to the State a portion of the property and valuables confiscated from them, and also gave itself an economic incentive by granting a third of the same to the church to exterminate more heretics, etc.

In addition, the use of torture was affirmed by no less than St. Thomas Aquinas (13th century):

...there are unbelievers who at some time have accepted the faith, and professed it, such as heretics and all apostates [that's many of us in Rome's heretical eyes]: such should be submitted even to bodily compulsion, that they may fulfil what they have promised, and hold what they, at one time, received". — Living Tradition, Organ of the Roman Theological Forum; LT119 - Torture and Corporal Punishment as a Problem in Catholic Theology: Part II. The Witness of Tradition and Magisterium

Moreover, the use of coercive physical punishment as a means of church discipline was still affirmed at least until more recent times:

The Church has the right, as a perfect and independent society provided with all the means for attaining its end, to decide according to its laws disputes arising concerning its internal affairs, epecially as to the ecclesiastical rights of its members, also to carry out its decision, if necessary, by suitable means of compulsion, contentious or civil jurisdiction. It has, therefore, the right to admonish or warn its members, ecclesiastical or lay, who have not conformed to its laws and also, if needful to punish them by physical means, that is, coercive jurisdiction. — Catholic Encyclopedia Jurisdiction CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction

And which means is not Scriptural, for church discipline was never that of physical compulsion, but disfellowship and punishment by spiritual means. (1Co. 5)

In addition, Pope Pius IX, in his The Syllabus (of Errors) asserted:

[It is error to believe that] Hence it has been wisely decided by law, in some Catholic countries, that persons coming to reside therein shall enjoy the public exercise of their own peculiar worship.” (Section X, Errors Having Reference to Modern Liberalism, #78. Pius IX Syllabus)

But at least for the time being torture seems to be now condemned:

Pope Benedict XVI, in a speech of 6 September 2007.."In this regard, I reiterate that the prohibition against torture 'cannot be contravened under any circumstances'". — Torture and corporal punishment as a problem in catholic theology, September 2005:

However, if Rome was consistent with her past teaching then requirements such as this (which traditional RCs seem to long for) would apply:

Pope Paul IV, Cum Ex Apostolatus Officio of 1559: Thus We will and decree [which language is that of perpetuity] that the aforementioned sentences, censures and penalties be incurred without exception by all members of the following categories:

(i) Anysoever who, before this date, shall have been detected to have deviated from the Catholic Faith, or fallen into any heresy, or incurred schism, or provoked or committed either or both of these, or who have confessed to have done any of these things, or who have been convicted of having done any of these things.

..moreover...
concerning those who shall have presumed in any way knowingly to receive, defend, favour, believe or teach the teaching of those so apprehended, confessed or convicted:
(i) they shall automatically incur sentence of excommunication;
(ii) they shall be rendered infamous;
(iii) they shall be excluded on pain of invalidity from any public or private office, deliberation, Synod, general or provincial Council and any conclave of Cardinals or other congregation of the faithful, and from any election or function of witness, so that they cannot take part in any of these by vote, in person, by writings, representative or by any agent;
(iv) they shall be incapable of making a will;
(v) they shall not accede to the succession of heredity;
(vi) no one shall be forced to respond to them concerning any business;
(vii) if perchance they shall have been Judges, their judgements shall have no force, nor shall any cases be brought to their hearing.;
(viii) if they shall have been Advocates, their pleading shall nowise be received;
(ix) if they shall have been Notaries, documents drafted by them shall be entirely without strength or weight;..
(xii) finally, all Kingdoms, Duchies, Dominions, Fiefs and goods of this kind shall be confiscated, made public and shall remain so, and shall be made the rightful property of those who shall first occupy them if these shall be sincere in faith, in the unity of the Holy Roman Church and under obedience to Us and to Our successors the Roman Pontiffs canonically entering office.
Note: This Constitution was reinforced in his Papal Bull Inter multiplices [December 21, 1566] by Pope St. Pius V; POPE PAUL IV's CUM EX APOSTOLATUS OFFICIO (cumexapo.htm)

And which decree many traditional RCS use against modern popes, such as forbid torture, and affirm that baptized "Bible Protestants" can be saved as being so.

Yet it should be added that using the sword of men to deal with theological dissent and false religion is something that early Prots also had to unlearn from Rome and the world

This issue relates to purgatory since not believing in this heresy makes one a heretic and obedience to the pope would require the Catholic ruler to exterminated us, lest he forfeit his rule.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pay strict attention!

Anybody is saved by the grace of God. All of us. However, I have NEVER met a man that stopped sinning the day he got "saved" (in other words, gave his life to Christ,) and INSTANTLY began so total a cooperation with God he immediately became sinless. ALL have sinned, (and continue to sin) and all fall short of the Glory of God. I have been doing my best to cooperate with God, and, by His grace, and with His help, I am doing okay. But I will never, in this life, be perfect--and nobody else on these fora (if they are honest with him/herself) can claim to be perfect. And if they do, then they deceive themselves (See 1 John 1:8)

I know I cannot reach perfection in this body! It is impossible for anyone to do so. However, I know that God's grace can and will help me on my way. And if, in order to reach perfection, the wood, hay and stubble must be burned away, I will also accept that as a part of God's grace and love towards me. After all, “For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.” (Heb 12:6 KJV)

And if a Christian receives no rebuke or correction from the Lord, then is he a Christian?

Don't you think we should go by Scripture, rather than our feelings?

For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
Romans 11:16

Wood, hay, stubble, on the other hand, refers to the type of work a believer may have accomplished. For example, a structure built on tradition will probably be burned, but the Christian is holy as shown above.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Despite placing the infamous Inquisitions in your washing machine set to "spin" to protect "the Church," the fact is that even your first misleading source admits:

"[Torture] was first authorized by Pope Innocent IV in 1252—not as a mode of punishment, but as a means of discovering truth."

For indeed, Pope Innocent in Ad extirpanda: required:
The head of state or ruler must force all the heretics whom he has in custody,{8} provided he does so without killing them or breaking their arms or legs, as actual robbers and murderers of souls and thieves of the sacraments of God and Christian faith, to confess their errors and accuse other heretics whom they know, and specify their motives, {9} and those whom they have seduced, and those who have lodged them and defended them, as thieves and robbers of material goods are made to accuse their accomplices and confess the crimes they have committed.

(31) The head of state or ruler must send one of his aides, chosen by the Diocesan if there is one, with the aforesaid inquisitors obtained from the Apostolic See, as often as they shall wish, into the jurisdiction of the state and the district. This aide, as the aforesaid inquisitors shall have determined, will compel three men or more, reliable witnesses, or, if it seem good to them, the whole neighborhood, to testify to the aforesaid inquisitors if they have detected any heretics, or want to expose their motives...

(32)The head of state or ruler must, within ten days after the accusation, complete the following tasks: the destruction of the houses, the imposition of the fines, the consigning and dividing-up of the valuables that have been found or seized, all of which have already been described in this decree.

(34)The head of state or ruler must divide up all the property of the heretics that is seized or discovered by the aforesaid officials, and the fines exacted from these heretics, in the form and manner following: one-third shall go to the government of the state or district. The second as a reward of the industry of the office shall go to the officials who handled this particular case. The third shall be deposited in some secure place to be kept by the aforesaid Diocesan bishop and inquisitors,and spent as they shall think fit to promote the faith and extirpate{11} heretics, this policy prevailing in spite of any statute that has been or shall be enacted against this dividing-up of the heretics' property. http://www.documentacatholicaomnia.eu/01p/1252-05-15,_SS_Innocentius_IV,_Bulla_'Ad_Extirpanda',_EN.pdf

It is such history as this that was partly instrumental in the prohibition of a state religion by the First Amendment, though it did not mean the state could not affirm religion in general.

The fact that the state did what the church required, exterminating the "heretics" and employed torture as sanctioned by the pope does not mean the state is only to be blamed for torture, or ever bears primary responsibility, any more than that the Romans are for the death of Christ.

For those who were tortured and killed by the state were in the hands of the latter because "The Church" commanded Catholic rulers to exterminate the heretics, as a prior post substantiated, and to which can be added Pope Innocent III, in Cum ex Officii Nostri of 1207:

In order altogether to remove the patrimony of St. Peter from heretics, we decree as a perpetual law, that whatsoever heretic, especially if he be a Patarene, shall be found therein, shall immediately be taken and delivered to the secular court to be punished according to the law. Cum ex Officii Nostri Pope Innocent III, 1207, Inquisition, by Edward Peters, p. 49 review

Moreover, explaining torture simply as a means of "discovering truth" is merely a sophism for compelling, coercing confessions, even of suspected witnesses, as basically guilty based on mere suspicion.

Also,
The requirement that torture only be used once was effectively meaningless in practice as it was interpreted as authorizing torture with each new piece of evidence that was produced and by considering most practices to be a continuation (rather than repetition) of the torture session (non ad modum iterationis sed continuationis).[1]
Furthermore, the pope gave an economic incentive to the State to convict heretics by giving to the State a portion of the property and valuables confiscated from them, and also gave itself an economic incentive by granting a third of the same to the church to exterminate more heretics, etc.

In addition, the use of torture was affirmed by no less than St. Thomas Aquinas (13th century):

...there are unbelievers who at some time have accepted the faith, and professed it, such as heretics and all apostates [that's many of us in Rome's heretical eyes]: such should be submitted even to bodily compulsion, that they may fulfil what they have promised, and hold what they, at one time, received". — Living Tradition, Organ of the Roman Theological Forum; LT119 - Torture and Corporal Punishment as a Problem in Catholic Theology: Part II. The Witness of Tradition and Magisterium

Moreover, the use of coercive physical punishment as a means of church discipline was still affirmed at least until more recent times:

The Church has the right, as a perfect and independent society provided with all the means for attaining its end, to decide according to its laws disputes arising concerning its internal affairs, epecially as to the ecclesiastical rights of its members, also to carry out its decision, if necessary, by suitable means of compulsion, contentious or civil jurisdiction. It has, therefore, the right to admonish or warn its members, ecclesiastical or lay, who have not conformed to its laws and also, if needful to punish them by physical means, that is, coercive jurisdiction. — Catholic Encyclopedia Jurisdiction CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction

And which means is not Scriptural, for church discipline was never that of physical compulsion, but disfellowship and punishment by spiritual means. (1Co. 5)

In addition, Pope Pius IX, in his The Syllabus (of Errors) asserted:

[It is error to believe that] Hence it has been wisely decided by law, in some Catholic countries, that persons coming to reside therein shall enjoy the public exercise of their own peculiar worship.” (Section X, Errors Having Reference to Modern Liberalism, #78. Pius IX Syllabus)

But at least for the time being torture seems to be now condemned:

Pope Benedict XVI, in a speech of 6 September 2007.."In this regard, I reiterate that the prohibition against torture 'cannot be contravened under any circumstances'". — Torture and corporal punishment as a problem in catholic theology, September 2005:

However, if Rome was consistent with her past teaching then requirements such as this (which traditional RCs seem to long for) would apply:

Pope Paul IV, Cum Ex Apostolatus Officio of 1559: Thus We will and decree [which language is that of perpetuity] that the aforementioned sentences, censures and penalties be incurred without exception by all members of the following categories:

(i) Anysoever who, before this date, shall have been detected to have deviated from the Catholic Faith, or fallen into any heresy, or incurred schism, or provoked or committed either or both of these, or who have confessed to have done any of these things, or who have been convicted of having done any of these things.

..moreover...
concerning those who shall have presumed in any way knowingly to receive, defend, favour, believe or teach the teaching of those so apprehended, confessed or convicted:
(i) they shall automatically incur sentence of excommunication;
(ii) they shall be rendered infamous;
(iii) they shall be excluded on pain of invalidity from any public or private office, deliberation, Synod, general or provincial Council and any conclave of Cardinals or other congregation of the faithful, and from any election or function of witness, so that they cannot take part in any of these by vote, in person, by writings, representative or by any agent;
(iv) they shall be incapable of making a will;
(v) they shall not accede to the succession of heredity;
(vi) no one shall be forced to respond to them concerning any business;
(vii) if perchance they shall have been Judges, their judgements shall have no force, nor shall any cases be brought to their hearing.;
(viii) if they shall have been Advocates, their pleading shall nowise be received;
(ix) if they shall have been Notaries, documents drafted by them shall be entirely without strength or weight;..
(xii) finally, all Kingdoms, Duchies, Dominions, Fiefs and goods of this kind shall be confiscated, made public and shall remain so, and shall be made the rightful property of those who shall first occupy them if these shall be sincere in faith, in the unity of the Holy Roman Church and under obedience to Us and to Our successors the Roman Pontiffs canonically entering office.
Note: This Constitution was reinforced in his Papal Bull Inter multiplices [December 21, 1566] by Pope St. Pius V; POPE PAUL IV's CUM EX APOSTOLATUS OFFICIO (cumexapo.htm)

And which decree many traditional RCS use against modern popes, such as forbid torture, and affirm that baptized "Bible Protestants" can be saved as being so.

Yet it should be added that using the sword of men to deal with theological dissent and false religion is something that early Prots also had to unlearn from Rome and the world

This issue relates to purgatory since not believing in this heresy makes one a heretic and obedience to the pope would require the Catholic ruler to exterminated us, lest he forfeit his rule.

Unfortunately, they have bound themselves so tightly that one does wonder what they'll do.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And just how does "salvation is assured as long as one dies as a Catholic, whether it be a Ted Kennedy type or a traditionalist" translate into me saying I KNOW, for certain, that Ted Kennedy is in hell?" Answer me.

The same way that salvation is assured as long as one responds to an altar call, while the choir sings "Just As I Am" for the twentieth time, and the preacher is begging and pleading for people to come forward, and saying the rest of the congregation is self-righteous. And the next day falls back into drug abuse and child abuse? One trip to the altar is not enough, just as dying a Catholic is not enough. One has to put his/her whole life on the line, cooperating with Jesus to get into heaven, and you and I both know that. And that can happen in a Catholic Church just as easily as a Baptist church.

Upvote 0