Is Protesting People's Homes Acceptable?

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm curious what people think about this.

I was watching "The Five" on the Fox News network and they were talking about protesters, protesting at Lindsey Graham's home over the Supreme Court nomination theme.

Question.....Do people here believe it's acceptable to even be going to people's homes causing a commotion? The Democrat on this show talked about it as a legitimate protest and I'm thinking REALLY? Do we as a culture REALLY find this acceptable that protesters actually go to a person's home? Isn't this a line that should never be crossed and demonstrates something even worse than whatever can be their concern?

What is really the intent in doing this? Not to absolutely terrorize a family.....members of which can be innocent of anything that perturbed the protesters to begin with? Think of who could be in such a home....a wife and children.....elderly parents. Can it come anywhere close to make claim that this is acceptable? Imagine a child crying out in fear....or as I say the elderly and if it led to a heart problem with such a one wouldn't that really be murder?

As I say I heard a Dem on "The Five" claim this was acceptable or legitimate. To me this type of activity should NEVER, EVER, EVER be allowed. And for the record I'm also against this happening to Dem type people as well. Some ladies or hairdressers protested in front of Nancy Pelosi's house over the hair salon thing and I don't agree with that either.

Some might cite the Constitution but doesn't this really go against the spirit of the Constitution or the context of what it was allowing?

Anyone agree....disagree?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Protesting someone's home should be permissible if the target of the protest has the legal right to come to the door armed and open fire indiscriminately on the crowd of protesters.

If that's not legal (and it doesn't seem to be) then protesting someone's private home should not be legal either.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I was watching "The Five" on the Fox News network and they were talking about protesters, protesting at Lindsey Graham's home over the Supreme Court nomination theme.

Question.....Do people here believe it's acceptable to even be going to people's homes causing a commotion? The Democrat on this show talked about it as a legitimate protest and I'm thinking REALLY? Do we as a culture REALLY find this acceptable that protesters actually go to a person's home? Isn't this a line that should never be crossed and demonstrates something even worse than whatever can be their concern?

What is really the intent in doing this? Not to absolutely terrorize a family.....members of which can be innocent of anything that perturbed the protesters to begin with? Think of who could be in such a home....a wife and children.....elderly parents. Can it come anywhere close to make claim that this is acceptable? Imagine a child crying out in fear....or as I say the elderly and if it led to a heart problem with such a one wouldn't that really be murder?

As I say I heard a Dem on "The Five" claim this was acceptable or legitimate. To me this type of activity should NEVER, EVER, EVER be allowed. And for the record I'm also against this happening to Dem type people as well. Some ladies or hairdressers protested in front of Nancy Pelosi's house over the hair salon thing and I don't agree with that either.

Some might cite the Constitution but doesn't this really go against the spirit of the Constitution or the context of what it was allowing?

They should be careful, isn't it legal to shoot people if they trespass on your property? or is that just in some states?

Upvote 0

RushMAN

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2020
West Coast
✟101,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
.Do people here believe it's acceptable to even be going to people's homes causing a commotion

No and that kind of behavior is not covered under the Constitution

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They should be careful, isn't it legal to shoot people if they trespass on your property? or is that just in some states?
A fair question.

Honestly, if the left is serious about abolishing the police then we need to reexamine our trespassing laws, self-defense laws and so forth. Because if local police departments are abolished then help is not on the way and the assumptions made by our current laws no longer apply. Therefore, citizens should be afforded greater liberty than they presently have in defending themselves and their property.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

NEWS people support any kind of Rukus.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,160.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

I'll never support bring protest to private residence. Because the person you're protesting is not the only occupant of the house. Imagine your children in the house having to look onto an angry mob in front of their house. Imagine being afraid to leave your house.

Americans need to seriously chill on their partisanship. It has reached a stage that it is no longer airing grievances but more like intimidation. It's no difference from the mafia. "You follow my rules and submit, kapeesh!".

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'll never support bring protest to private residence. Because the person you're protesting is not the only occupant of the house. Imagine your children in the house having to look onto an angry mob in front of their house. Imagine being afraid to leave your house.

To me when whatever group would terrorize women and children or the elderly they need thrown into prison for 15 years. That may seem kind of strong but it needs to be that in no uncertain terms everybody understands this is not something a civilized society will allow. And I'd say this to those who would be my political enemies....NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER would I go to their homes to protest. To me that'd make me a thousand times worse than whatever I'm upset with them about.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I

I live in England and we have the expression here that an Englishman home is their castle. I wholeheartedly go along with this. I don't even answer the door to door step traders, scammers, midnight strangers in distress. No appointment, no entry! We British are private , introverted people and a crowd protesting on my property would be my worst nightmare

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To me when whatever group would terrorize women and children or the elderly they need thrown into prison for 15 years. That may seem kind of strong but it needs to be that in no uncertain terms everybody understands this is not something a civilized society will allow. And I'd say this to those who would be my political enemies....NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER would I go to their homes to protest. To me that'd make me a thousand times worse than whatever I'm upset with them about.

Hear, hear!!!

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They should be careful, isn't it legal to shoot people if they trespass on your property?

I think in every state the general answer is, no. If someone is stumbling down the street drunk and stumbles onto your property and passes out in the front yard, would you really be justified in shooting them? No, obviously not.

Though the laws will be state specific, and so you should look up the ones in your state, I think the general idea that you will find is is one of reciprocity where your response to a violation, or threat of violation, of your life or property has to be in proportion to the actual violation committed or threatened. So just because someone violates a property right doesn't mean you're justified in shooting them. Now if someone is armed and breaking into your house through the back window, it may be a different story. Typically, it seems that if it's a reasonable judgment that your life is threatened, you are permitted to act in self defense. Of course, this could be tricky depending on the actual circumstances one encounters. And so you're left asking, who determines what is "reasonable?" The D.A, a judge or a jury.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think in every state the general answer is, no. If someone is stumbling down the street drunk and stumbles onto your property and passes out in the front yard, would you really be justified in shooting them? No, obviously not.

Though the laws will be state specific, and so you should look up the ones in your state, I think the general idea that you will find is is one of reciprocity where your response to a violation, or threat of violation, of your life or property has to be in proportion to the actual violation committed or threatened. So just because someone violates a property right doesn't mean you're justified in shooting them. Now if someone is armed and breaking into your house through the back window, it may be a different story. Typically, it seems that if it's a reasonable judgment that your life is threatened, you are permitted to act in self defense. Of course, this could be tricky depending on the actual circumstances one encounters. And so you're left asking, who determines what is "reasonable?" The D.A, a judge or a jury.
I

I wouldn't shoot them no. If wait for them to sober up and go or maybe I'd move them on if thundered causing a disturbance. I don't believe in violence except for self defense. Now if they entered my home, yes I would shoot.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟819,215.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

It's acceptable as long as protesters stay within the law.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Is Protesting People's Homes Acceptable?

Under normal circumstances i would say protesting at a politician's home is out of bounds but if I was unemployed, through no fault of our own, facing food and/or shelter problems along with my family, why should a congressional Republican claim a position of privilege that they are unwilling to extend to the electorate?

Given the history of Obama's last Supreme Court nomination, Merrick Garland, Senate Republicans who are willing to reverse the position they took 4 years ago, refusing to apply their own rules to themselves, own rules, have forfeited their tight to pass judgement on their opponents!

Last edited:
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Can they protest in front of private homes? Constitutionally yes so long as they stay on public property (i.e. the street and sidewalk). The question then is whether they should protest in front of someone's home. The answer to that is no because it devolves into harassment rather than protesting. We used to have at least a minimal respect for others, that appears to be completely lost these days.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Can they protest in front of private homes? Constitutionally yes so long as they stay on public property (i.e. the street and sidewalk). The question then is whether they should protest in front of someone's home. The answer to that is no because it devolves into harassment rather than protesting. We used to have at least a minimal respect for others, that appears to be completely lost these days.
If you or someone in your family has a pre-existing condition and insured under Obamacare, another conservative vote in the Supreme Court could have that coverage declared unconstitutional - any congressional politician who would subject their constituents to those risks is not deserving of respect!

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's acceptable as long as protesters stay within the law.

How do protesters harass someone at their home in the middle of the night within the law?

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
How do protesters harass someone at their home in the middle of the night within the law?
When unemployed American and their families ,through no fault of their own, face constant food insecurity and the threat of eviction, why should those congressional politicians, who by choosing not to extend government grants, are responsible for driving people to the brink of despair, but remain detached from the consequences of their decisions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0