quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes I feel like profanity is very useful in capturing what I really feel. I don't go around cussing in public or cussing people out, even if I do feel like sometimes some people merit it. Then I think about what kind of Christian witness would that be...not a very good one I guess. Even though sometimes (many times actually) I want to scream out how something is bona fide hot manure better known as **. So what do you think, is profanity always bad? Is it always wrong?

• Agree
Reactions: Lybrah

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Jesus used some vulgar words to describe the religious leaders, right to their faces , and in front of everyone around them.
Was that profanity ? Obviously not wrong.
(not usually 'kept' in tame english bibles though, so may be difficult to verify)

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The language itself can be used legitimately, but there are some people who cannot understand that. They have their rules and beliefs that causes them to judge a person who speaks that way. It is like someone who eats meat saying "I will not eat meat if it causes my brother to stumble".

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
When I was young I got the impression that I shouldn't use many profane words.
In middle age it was clear that some people used profane words instead of doing the work to learn and think of good descriptive words and this really limited their ability to communicate.
I know think a good placed profane word can communicate ones feelings pretty good.

The Bible is mainly concern in this area about not disrespecting God in the language we use. I think that can be done with limited use of profane words. Some of the Psalms are fever powerful in how they show the inner turmoil the author was experience. I don't see God wanting us to hide or down play our emotional stress. So there is a healthy way to express our struggles without disrespecting God and hurting others around us.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The Bible is mainly concern in this area about not disrespecting God in the language we use. I think that can be done with limited use of profane words.
Very few people on earth , in the world, today, are respecting and seeking Yahweh.
Even without profanity, which is somewhat censored, most by far of the posts are idolatrous, openly, and there is no rule against that on the internet/ forums/ etc .....
Idolatry is always bad from any and all people.
Profanity is always bad from some people (who are always bad).
Profanity may not be bad from some people, a few anyway, like Jesus and His sheep.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I often heard the retort of how using profanity is both lazy and unintelligent. Will Smith's grandmother is a good example of this. She used that argument to shame him into not using profanity in his rap songs. It worked out good for him but I really don't agree with the argument. I just think it's a way of shaming someone...

Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
✟65,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Sometimes I feel like profanity is very useful in capturing what I really feel. I don't go around cussing in public or cussing people out, even if I do feel like sometimes some people merit it. Then I think about what kind of Christian witness would that be...not a very good one I guess. Even though sometimes (many times actually) I want to scream out how something is bona fide hot manure better known as **. So what do you think, is profanity always bad? Is it always wrong?

I think it is wrong if someone,in anger,cusses out a person. However,if someone is cussing out , some thing,in frustration,for example,a car engine that will not start,then I do not think that saying a curse word is wrong. However,a Christian should not make cursing a habit.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I believe there is a huge difference in taking the Lord's name in vain....including all the "nicknames" like O-M-G and Jeez ... and cursing. If a person uses curse word too frequently and in ordinary daily verbal interaction, I believe they just seem less intelligent because they have a limited vocabulary. But there are things in life that just can't be described with "sucks", "darn", or "dognabit"...or other "G" level words. War movies would be ridiculous if a soldier watches his best friend blown up and says "Oh my goodness gracious!" There is no reality there. I seldom cussed before my husband died but since he first got diagnosed, I found myself in situations where "oh poo"...just didn't express the reality of the situation. Cancer sucks. That is about as tame as it gets. In nursing, I find myself using harsher language under my breath more frequently than I'd ever imagine. Some are related to the people I have to interact with, some are related to the diagnoses I have to deal with, and some are related to the impossible expectations that management has on our time and our ability. The harsh words help release the frustrations and keep them from festering on the inside of our psyche.

I don't want to hear a conversation where every other word is a cuss word. I don't want to hear a conversation where God is blamed for everything bad or His Holy name is used in casual conversation as something to just designate surprise or mild disdain. But if a patient who is trying to figure out how to deal with a life altering diagnosis or a nurse needs to release some steam in the med room so she can smile as she enters the patient room....and chooses a less than polite word, I am not going to be offended and I doubt that God will condemn them for being honest about their feelings by using a more description word to describe their God given emotions.

Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never cussed anyone out, so I don't have any experience there. The closest I came was getting into a public fight in my late 20's with someone with an “audience” because someone shouted Fight! Fight! I was trying to come up with something to call the person and yes I was praying for Jesus to give me something juicy but when I opened my mouth the only thing that came out was “you 'ol heathen”. That's right I got Aunt Esther lol! People started laughing and saying, “Now I know she's a Christian cuz I would have cussed him...” So that's as close as I've ever come to cussing a person out. All of my Saved life I've believed that you shouldn't cuss a person. That's something I believed even before I was Saved but now I can't unequivocally say that. This is the world and there is always something “foul” going on. It's getting darker by the minute. I'm seeing some things, so I just don't know about that. I remember a brother in Christ once told me how he doesn't “say” the words but if you could read his mind! I feel that way when it comes to some people...yeah...I sure do...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, but avoiding profanity can be empowering and civilizing. It isn't about the words themselves. Not cussing gives the individual a way to rise above. To not speak in a way that's the lowest common denominator. A way to have dignity without being a multi-millionaire or wielding political power. In fact, I'd argue that clean language gives you a leg up over the rich and powerful who do use profanity, and something in common with those who don't. Plus it's free.

Also, avoiding cussing can make those words more impactful if or when a situation merits their use.

Last edited:
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

quietpraiyze

In The Secret Place
Nov 18, 2011
✟93,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, but avoiding profanity can be empowering and civilizing. It isn't about the words themselves. Not cussing gives the individual a way to rise above. To not speak in a way that's the lowest common denominator. A way to have dignity without being a multi-millionaire or wielding political power. In fact, I'd argue that clean language gives you a leg up over the rich and powerful who do use profanity, and something in common with those who don't. Plus it's free.

Also, avoiding cussing can make those words more impactful if or when a situation merits their use.

Really?!! So I take it you've never experienced or seen "christian cussing"? You know when "christians" use Scriptures to tell people off, say "God bless you" or I'll be praying for you in a hateful manner...stuff like that but hey they didn't use profanity right? I know you probably believe what you wrote but for me profanity isn't an indictment against someone's character. Profanity doesn't have to involve anyone. It can be and many times is someone by themselves. No one but God is around to hear it and I think that's the point your missing here.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I generally avoid it, so it's much more powerful on the occasions I do use it. The time may come where I need to get somebody to back off, and if I can do that with vulgar words, it's a better alternative to violence.

Upvote 0