Is prepping in the end pointless or useful?

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use to prep but over the years I sort of got burned out on it after seeing it may all be for nothing. I used to worry ALOT so I think its why I felt hopeless with prepping.

For example I build myself a bunker the size of a olympic pool and fill it all up. But I will at some point run out of stuff inside and be forced to go out. Not to mention problems can occur like electric systems frying out. Accidentally breaking things...etc. And since most prep for the most extreme situation (like nuclear war), it won't last them long enough because radiation takes forever to go away. And assuming its a nuclear war, I then have to deal with a nuclear winter.

For example the A-Bomb dropped on Hiroshima (mind you its a TINY bomb compared to modern nukes) has a half life of 700 million years or was it 24,000 years? Can't recall. Still thats longer then one can survive. And a nuclear winter can last 50 years with a slim possibility of any hope depending on how much is still alive and surviving.

Do you think I'm just only worrying about big situations to much? I mean a total nuclear war is the worst case scenario but I wonder about other scenarios that aren't "forever" lasting. Like if america ever went down the tubes and we were invaded. I could go to a bunker and try and survive. Again though I worry about what happens when I run out or if someone breaks in. And if I go out how do I live in a country thats under new management?

Now that I am married I want to prep again. Especially because we want to have daughter at some point. A bunker is to expensive for us to even think of. Most preppers I have met in the past tend to just have a basement full of stuff stored up (canned food, clothes, batteries, guns...etc). I'm just trying to figure out what to do to keep people out of our house if something did happen. I mean a gun is one way of course. But what if they just decide to throw in a molotov to burn the house down. Not sure what to do at that point.

Again not sure what to do. Where to even begin anymore. One thing I am currently doing is saving to buy a gun or two. So at least thats something to start with. I sold most of my old prep stuff years ago.

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Prepping for possible calamities.. Good
prepping for the end times.. Absolute waste of time..

If the end is coming you would want to die in the early part of it.. You would not want to be around at the end part of the end times..

Revelation 9: KJV
6 "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Prepping for possible calamities.. Good
prepping for the end times.. Absolute waste of time..

If the end is coming you would want to die in the early part of it.. You would not want to be around at the end part of the end times..

Revelation 9: KJV
6 "And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them."

That scripture doesn't apply to those who are approved of God. It appies to the wicked. That is why we are told not to fear:

Psalm 91:7
…6Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, Or of the destruction that lays waste at noon. 7A thousand may fall at your side And ten thousand at your right hand, But it shall not approach you. 8You will only look on with your eyes And see the recompense of the wicked.…

Those who are saved will be as safe as Noah and his family were in the Ark

Genesis 7:23
Thus He blotted out every living thing that was upon the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky, and they were blotted out from the earth; and only Noah was left, together with those that were with him in the ark.

As safe as the Israelites were when that final plague swept Egypt:

Exodus 12:
11Now you shall eat it in this manner: with your loins girded, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and you shall eat it in haste-- it is the LORD'S Passover. 12For I will go through the land of Egypt on that night, and will strike down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments-- I am the LORD. 13The blood shall be a sign for you on the houses where you live; and when I see the blood I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you when I strike the land of Egypt.…

Luke 12:32
New International Version
"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what if they just decide to throw in a molotov to burn the house down. Not sure what to do at that point.

be4 that "point" you still hv the chance to share.
Otherwise after that "point" you no longer hv the chance to share

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I read a sci fi short story about this fellow who had meticulously prepped for a nuclear holocaust and hermetically sealed himself in behind a force field enclosing his house at the first sign of what he believed to have been a nuclear war.

Eventually could detect what seemed to be the misshapen forms of mutants produced by the radiation reflected on the force field, So he fearfully refrained from leaving his shelter in order to avoid being affected.

Four decades of fearful isolation passed and finally, after reaching the age of 85, he finally decided that he wanted to see the outside world for the last time before he died. So after cautiously lowering the force field he stepped outside expecting to meet the deformed remnants of humanity.

Instead and to his his astonishment, he was greeted by host of healthy youthful people who explained that he had mistaken a meteor impact for a nuclear war and that they had been trying to reach him to no avail.

They told him that the misshapen forms he had detected were caused by the fluctuations of the force field. They also explained that since his hiding himself, mankind had found a way to reverse and stop the aging process and that people his advanced age in his aged condition were no longer present.

He felt elated but his elation was short lived when he was informed that unfortunately for him, such an age reversal only worked for people who were within the age range he had been when he absconded himself in his shelter..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟561,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I prep for my children and grandchildren. On the one hand, it goes to them and their needs, and on the other hand we wll not be a burden on them if and when something happens. Additionally, if something were to happen, we would not be a burden on our community. I cannot imagine why any local, state or fed govt would be against prepping. Preppers will be an asset during bad times, not a liability.
At the very worse, we can live off our preps in years to come. It will never be a waste. You can even consider it an investment. Some of the preps we purchased 5 years ago are worth more now than when we bought them.
I do not see a downside to this on any side. If I were not doing it, I would start. To me, prepping is more important than retirement accounts, insurance policies or a paid off mortgage. People have these, and yet they claim they are not prepping???? They put more money and effort into these investments than any prepper... and these investments are more iffy than prepping.
I feel good about our years worth of preps. They are their, they do not cost us anything, and at worse we will leave them to our kids.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I prep for my children and grandchildren. On the one hand, it goes to them and their needs, and on the other hand we wll not be a burden on them if and when something happens. Additionally, if something were to happen, we would not be a burden on our community. I cannot imagine why any local, state or fed govt would be against prepping. Preppers will be an asset during bad times, not a liability.
At the very worse, we can live off our preps in years to come. It will never be a waste. You can even consider it an investment. Some of the preps we purchased 5 years ago are worth more now than when we bought them.
I do not see a downside to this on any side. If I were not doing it, I would start. To me, prepping is more important than retirement accounts, insurance policies or a paid off mortgage. People have these, and yet they claim they are not prepping???? They put more money and effort into these investments than any prepper... and these investments are more iffy than prepping.
I feel good about our years worth of preps. They are their, they do not cost us anything, and at worse we will leave them to our kids.
The problem is that certain ones who don't prep keep tabs on those who do prep in order to know where to go when all fandango breaks loose. So the only prepping they do is keeping tabs on prepers and arming themselves to the teeth. Does that qualify as prepping too?

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That scripture doesn't apply to those who are approved of God. It appies to the wicked. That is why we are told not to fear:

Then why would a person start prepping for the end times if they had absolute faith that God would keep them from all those troubles? Would not such a person be relying on the providance of God to carry them through such times?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I use to prep but over the years I sort of got burned out on it after seeing it may all be for nothing. I used to worry ALOT so I think its why I felt hopeless with prepping.

For example I build myself a bunker the size of a olympic pool and fill it all up. But I will at some point run out of stuff inside and be forced to go out. Not to mention problems can occur like electric systems frying out. Accidentally breaking things...etc. And since most prep for the most extreme situation (like nuclear war), it won't last them long enough because radiation takes forever to go away. And assuming its a nuclear war, I then have to deal with a nuclear winter.

For example the A-Bomb dropped on Hiroshima (mind you its a TINY bomb compared to modern nukes) has a half life of 700 million years or was it 24,000 years? Can't recall. Still thats longer then one can survive. And a nuclear winter can last 50 years with a slim possibility of any hope depending on how much is still alive and surviving.

Do you think I'm just only worrying about big situations to much? I mean a total nuclear war is the worst case scenario but I wonder about other scenarios that aren't "forever" lasting. Like if america ever went down the tubes and we were invaded. I could go to a bunker and try and survive. Again though I worry about what happens when I run out or if someone breaks in. And if I go out how do I live in a country thats under new management?

Now that I am married I want to prep again. Especially because we want to have daughter at some point. A bunker is to expensive for us to even think of. Most preppers I have met in the past tend to just have a basement full of stuff stored up (canned food, clothes, batteries, guns...etc). I'm just trying to figure out what to do to keep people out of our house if something did happen. I mean a gun is one way of course. But what if they just decide to throw in a molotov to burn the house down. Not sure what to do at that point.

Again not sure what to do. Where to even begin anymore. One thing I am currently doing is saving to buy a gun or two. So at least thats something to start with. I sold most of my old prep stuff years ago.

It is good to be prepared in case of an emergency, but I agree that it is an absolute waste of time to prep for the end times. One of the themes of apocalyptic literature is that the people are always helpless to help themselves until God intervenes at the end to save the day, and God does not need our help to accomplish this. Another thing is that Revelation was written to be a blessing to its recipients to make them happy and content, so if it is causing you to worry, then you have not correctly understood it. If we learn nothing else from Genesis 18:22-33, it is that God does not treat the righteous and the wicked alike:

Genesis 18:24-25 Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city. Will you then sweep away the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous who are in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing, to put the righteous to death with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from you! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?”

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then why would a person start prepping for the end times if they had absolute faith that God would keep them from all those troubles? Would not such a person be relying on the providence of God to carry them through such times?

The way that a Christian is to prepare is by staying in the path to life and enduring in the faith until the end.

Matt 23
12Because of the multiplication of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold. 13But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come

Matthew 10:22
You will be hated by everyone on account of My name, but the one who perseveres to the end will be saved.

Luke 21:19
By your patient endurance, you will gain your souls.

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do agree that we are to have faith in God about the end times. However I do also believe God would still want us to protect are family to some degree. Such as having a gun or having some supplies. We can't love our wife like Jesus if we let her get raped and killed by intruders with guns because we think God will somehow stop the intruders.

Not that He couldn't stop them of course. But its like standing in front of a train and saying "God won't let this hit me!". He expects us to have some degree of sense about how the world works.

Upvote 0

Gaz54au

Apr 23, 2017
Tenterfield
✟12,444.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Listen to what God is saying to your heart and spirit. Seek His voice in His word as well as in prayer and do what you believe needs to be done.
I am a Pentecostal who after seeking the truth in Gods word know in my heart and soul that we will go through the Tribulation. I am preparing for that and preparing my life to make sure I am right before my God, Lord and Saviour. People will mock and quote scripture but God has spoken to me and that is all I need. Remember Jesus turned to Peter and said to him"Get thee behind me satin" when he tried to rebuke Jesus for saying he would die. So people will try and convince you that you are wrong to prep or that we will be raptured or the list goes on....So get thee behind me satin...I follow the word of God for it is written...

Take heart brother, get your guns, bullets, band-aids and beans, find a safe place away from Cities or large towns and plan to go there before the end of the first 3.5 years after the start!!!!
We will pry for you and the family.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟561,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Tens of millions of good, faithful believers have died in the past 2000 years in every sort of calamity imaginable. That is simply a fact. I am convinced that millions of them could have lived longer lives if they had prepared for calamities. This is true about living believers, their families, and their loved ones. Just do what the Word says. You do not need special revelation, special words, or dreams and visions. Just common sense. Do what you know to do. Love your family. Take care of them.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Then why would a person start prepping for the end times if they had absolute faith that God would keep them from all those troubles? Would not such a person be relying on the providance of God to carry them through such times?

We are to provide for ourselves as much as possible. He will provide when we can't. Read about Joseph again.

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pappy&Me

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
Jax.Fl.
✟30,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like Jesus said, Give unto Cesar what belongs to Ceasar and God what belongs to God. So I'll prep and eat as long as I can. But only for a couple weeks. Anyone gets my hard labor and suffering will have to work for it by tending the garden once they kill us off. I'm not leaving a storage full for anyone who didn't prep.
My kids are all middle aged to seniors so they are old enough to know what to do for themselves. One preps for a few weeks supplies, the rest don't.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟561,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like science fiction....
fiction is the key word here. I would not plan out my life on fiction.:sorry:
I read a sci fi short story about this fellow who had meticulously prepped for a nuclear holocaust and hermetically sealed himself in behind a force field enclosing his house at the first sign of what he believed to have been a nuclear war.

Eventually could detect what seemed to be the misshapen forms of mutants produced by the radiation reflected on the force field, So he fearfully refrained from leaving his shelter in order to avoid being affected.

Four decades of fearful isolation passed and finally, after reaching the age of 85, he finally decided that he wanted to see the outside world for the last time before he died. So after cautiously lowering the force field he stepped outside expecting to meet the deformed remnants of humanity.

Instead and to his his astonishment, he was greeted by host of healthy youthful people who explained that he had mistaken a meteor impact for a nuclear war and that they had been trying to reach him to no avail.

They told him that the misshapen forms he had detected were caused by the fluctuations of the force field. They also explained that since his hiding himself, mankind had found a way to reverse and stop the aging process and that people his advanced age in his aged condition were no longer present.

He felt elated but his elation was short lived when he was informed that unfortunately for him, such an age reversal reversal only worked for people who were within the age range he had been when he absconded himself in his shelter..

Upvote 0