Western Kentucky
✟17,029.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I want to get a shooting game, that i've played in the past but I don't know if it's a sin or not.

A sin? Perhaps playing it so much you ignore God, then yes, it would be a sin. But jut playing it because it is fun and you need some relaxation after a tough day, then it would not be a sin.

Janice

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think its a sin. As long as it isn't taking away from the time you spend with God and as long as you don't go out and imitate what you see on the game I don't see how it would be a sin.

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure how viewing (or fantasizing about, which is kind of like playing video games) graphic extreme violence differs from viewing graphic nudity or sexual acts. I'm not sure how I feel about either of them being a sin, but I don't understand why they are treated so differently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure how viewing (or fantasizing about, which is kind of like playing video games) graphic extreme violence differs from viewing graphic nudity or sexual acts. I'm not sure how I feel about either of them being a sin, but I don't understand why they are treated so differently.

Probably because everyone is capable of sex and no one is really capable of joining an ancient tournament where it's required you rip the person's head off.

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Probably because everyone is capable of sex and no one is really capable of joining an ancient tournament where it's required you rip the person's head off.

But most people are capable of opening fire on a group of people with a firearm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
But most people are capable of opening fire on a group of people with a firearm.

True but of the people who have sex, how many of them have fired into a crowd, or better yet, actually held a firearm?

Or as I insinuated earlier, how many of us took part in a tournament where you're supposed to perform a fatality?

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
True but of the people who have sex, how many of them have fired into a crowd, or better yet, actually held a firearm?

Or as I insinuated earlier, how many of us took part in a tournament where you're supposed to perform a fatality?

Does SCA count? Did a few of those in my time...

Having sex (in the context of a marriage or not) isn't really the issue that I'm trying to get at here, nor is actually killing or hurting people. It's about the fantasy of playing these games and/or viewing inappropriate content.

If I fantasize about killing my boss (which I wouldn't really do...I have a pretty great one), and picture him as the victim when I play video games, is that more moral than fantasizing about having sex? I'm not saying playing violent video games is wrong, just that to me, fantasizing about violence using video games as a tool is not a lot different than fantasizing about sex using inappropriate contentographic materials as a tool.

I have a good friend who was discussing how troubled she was by the popularity of the 50 Shades of Gray books and how she would never read them. She had read the Hunger Games books, though. I told her that I was a bit confused...in 50 Shades of Gray, the story includes graphical descriptions of consensual sex between adults, and in the Hunger Games, there are graphical descriptions of the murder of innocent children. How is the first one sinful and the second just fine (even for teens?)

Upvote 0

ziggy29

Site Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Pacific Northwest
✟27,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm willing to bet that most people who use inappropriate contentography to indulge in sexual fantasies would be very willing to engage in those activities if they were given the chance to make them a reality.

I'm pretty sure *very* few folks who play violent video games would jump at the chance to grab an M-16 and kill dozens of people in reality.

Capable? Sure. Likely to do so? Very much not, I think, at least in the vast majority of cases.

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm willing to bet that most people who use inappropriate contentography to indulge in sexual fantasies would be very willing to engage in those activities if they were given the chance to make them a reality.

I'm pretty sure *very* few folks who play violent video games would jump at the chance to grab an M-16 and kill dozens of people in reality.

Capable? Sure. Likely to do so? Very much not, I think, at least in the vast majority of cases.

I would agree with your second point but I'm not convinced your first point is true, and I'm also not convinced that the morality of the fantasizing itself is affected by whether or not you would actually do the act in real life given the opportunity.

Upvote 0

ziggy29

Site Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Pacific Northwest
✟27,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would agree with your second point but I'm not convinced your first point is true, and I'm also not convinced that the morality of the fantasizing itself is affected by whether or not you would actually do the act in real life given the opportunity.

But you do seem to think it's dictated by whether we are capable of it. I see that as semantic hair-splitting, to be honest -- if that.

Upvote 0