Is part of the Christian message, "no pain, no gain"?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You mean I need physical exercise now, instead of spending so much time here? :)
Might be worth a try, see how you feel after... I'm not trying to tell you what to do, or not do, though, that's up to you...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I will if you will Neo
I have been lately, I kinda messed up and lost my car and my license for a while, and I make sure to get out and take long walks across town at least two to three times a week and walk everyday now, and it is making me feel better, I think, I sure sleep well on the long walk days... The doc noticed that my breathing has improved, and relatives are telling me that I seem to functioning a lot better now... Which feels good too...

God Bless!

Reactions: mcarmichael
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have been lately, I kinda messed up and lost my car and my license for a while, and I make sure to get out and take long walks across town at least two to three times a week and walk everyday now, and it is making me feel better, I think, I sure sleep well on the long walk days... The doc noticed that my breathing has improved, and relatives are telling me that I seem to functioning a lot better now... Which feels good too...

God Bless!
To be honest I started a cleaning job recently that is really testing me out physically. I come home exhausted, sore back, aching joints. Hopefully I will become fit soon.
So I am already working on fitness.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
To be honest I started a cleaning job recently that is really testing me out physically. I come home exhausted, sore back, aching joints. Hopefully I will become fit soon.
So I am already working on fitness.
Awesome! Does it make you feel a bit better than inactivity...? (except for the sore back and aching joints that is) But, mentally perhaps...?

Is it alot of lifting and muscle work without much cardio...? I find that cardio is to more benefit to feeling better than heavy lifting and grunt muscle work...

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Awesome! Does it make you feel a bit better than inactivity...? (except for the sore back and aching joints that is) But, mentally perhaps...?

Is it alot of lifting and muscle work without much cardio...? I find that cardio is to more benefit to feeling better than heavy lifting and grunt muscle work...
a bit of both actually. Not a bad job but need to lose about 10 kg for it to be easier.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is living as a dedicated Christian like being a professional athlete? That to become more like Christ, we have to surrender to a journey of pain?
Is such an approach frowned upon? I mean to treat daily prayer as a form of exercise. Getting fully fit and ready for battle.
This approach has some appeal to me, if it is acceptable that is. :)
In Paul's day, there were no cars, trains or airports. Most could not afford a horse and carriage. For him to get from one place to another required walking, running or boarding a ship. A fast runner might prove useful in carrying messages. Paul was carrying important information. The athlete must be able to endure stress, keep focused on a goal, know good nutrition and not push past the point of injury.

Jesus healed many. Consider the training of a doctor. 12 years of primary education. 4 years of undergraduate training, 4 years of graduate school and 3-7 years of residency before becoming licensed. It is not for the lazy. One who goes to study should study to win.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
So we should seek pain and suffering if our life is too comfortable?

Good question! The Lord's Prayer seems to be an ideal text for the process of formulating an answer.

"And do not bring us to the time of trial, but deliver us from the evil one (Matthew 6:12)."

Why would God bring us into testing and trials? Obviously for our own good, to develop character. But then why should we pray to escape tests that are for our own good? The suppressed premise is that we should ask God to help ius find the easy path to spiritual growth: "My yoke is easy and my burden is light (Matthew 11:30)." Unfortunately, we tend to be lazy, rebellious, and selfish. So most of us need to learn the hard way. That's why we need harsher teaching like this:

"..because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and He chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” (Hebrews 12:6)."
Christ: "I reprove and discipline those whom I love (Revelation 3:19)."
"I punish my body and enslave it, lest have proclaimed to others, I myself should be disqualified (1 Corinthians 9:27)."

To help us reconnect with Jesus' "easy yoke" and "light burden," the NT plies us with athletic and militaristic imagery for the Christian struggle.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is living as a dedicated Christian like being a professional athlete? That to become more like Christ, we have to surrender to a journey of pain?
Is such an approach frowned upon? I mean to treat daily prayer as a form of exercise. Getting fully fit and ready for battle.
Not surrender to pain. On the contrary, to surrender to Him and His everlasting Peace. Trust and never doubt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh, but I love my comfort zones! :)
So do I, but I will purposely get out of it/them if it's for something good that I know is right... Like talking to my gay cousin about, well, "life" including relationships... and having long conversations with him and giving him the best, most loving advice in a loving caring way that I can... and not judging or condemning him in any way... and giving him hugs and telling him and letting him know that I love and care about him, even though my instincts might be telling me differently or even the opposite...

One example...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Matthew 16:24-26Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Follow Him where? To take up our Cross and follow Him, is to Live and die for Him, as He did for us on the Cross. Though we all have different crosses to bear and with it comes a variety of Pain that you speak about.

25 For he that will save his life, shall lose it: and he that shall lose his life for my sake, shall find it.

Again, here is the pain of the cross

26 For what doth it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his own soul? Or what exchange shall a man give for his soul?

To gain the whole world here is a person that dose not carry his cross, they push the cross aside, though he or she may have aches and pains, however they do not offer it up for Christ, therefore having NO EXCHANGE for His or her Soul.

Upvote 0