Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man’s religion is vain. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.". --James 1

Having faith, but using our words without restraint?

One of the truly remarkable things about the Bible is how well it's messages last throughout time. 2,000 years ago, St. James the Snarky wrote this message, and 2,000 years later, it's just as applicable, perhaps even more so because of our misuse of God's gift of the Internet.

So on these forums...how often is our religion in vain? How often do we have faith, but scare of the non-believers because all they see is senseless arguments & saying others are going to Hell? Doesn't sound like the love that's supposed to be at the center of our faith.

And I'd like to bring up a point made in a fantastic homily by my priest, Fr. Bob: God is love; it's his very nature! So any attempt to explain God to people, to bring Christ to people, without love being at the center, is foolish!

May God bless us all!

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟260,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"If any one thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this man’s religion is vain. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.". --James 1

One of the truly remarkable things about the Bible is how well it's messages last throughout time. 2,000 years ago, St. James the Snarky wrote this message, and 2,000 years later, it's just as applicable, perhaps even more so because of our misuse of God's gift of the Internet.

So on these forums...how often is our religion in vain? How often do we have faith, but scare of the non-believers because all they see is senseless arguments & saying others are going to Hell? Doesn't sound like the love that's supposed to be at the center of our faith.

And I'd like to bring up a point made in a fantastic homily by my priest, Fr. Bob: God is love; it's his very nature! So any attempt to explain God to people, to bring Christ to people, without love being at the center, is foolish!

May God bless us all!

Blessings as you spread some of God’s love around. Was a pleasure to read, seeing the heart just wants the righteousness of God to rule.

That God would grant you your hearts desire.

Much love in Christ, Not me

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

May God bless us all!
Christian faith is only in vain if there is no resurrection in our gospel, so yeah, there's plenty of that. Hell has replaced the resurrection, the rapture has replaced the resurrection. Love is important, the most important thing, but without the resurrection .. people don't know why. Agape love, is the love that keeps giving and giving, the other types of love, love because - with agape, there is no why, just giving, probably why some early translations called it charity instead of love - being a class of it's own.

God is a god of another chances, but Christianity is a religion of ... believe my words or go to hell - for many. But to see the God of another chances (not just second chances) - we need to remember Christ Crucified ... and then the Resurrection.

When it becomes about faith hope and love, but leaves out Jesus, it's not much different than the follow the rules emphasized by the preacher version of the teachings without Jesus. This is why we need the resurrection, it points that we're not what we were before, maybe living in that question of what that means will inspire a transformation as we pray?

Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0